Author Topic: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson ~ Coming in April  (Read 24633 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand  by Helen Simonson

Proposed for April Book Club Online  

Please post below if you can join us.  

"When Major Pettigrew, a retired British army major in a small English village, embarks on an unexpected friendship with the widowed Mrs. Ali, who runs the local shop, trouble erupts to disturb the bucolic serenity of the village and of the Major’s carefully regimented life.

As the Major and Mrs. Ali discover just how much they have in common, including an educated background and a shared love of books, they must struggle to understand what it means to belong and how far the obligations of family and tradition can be set aside for personal freedom. Meanwhile, the village itself, lost in its petty prejudices and traditions, may not see its own destruction coming."  New York Times   (best seller)

"...a wry and witty love story set in a little English village where small town prejudices, and race and religious intolerances are alive and well. With gentle insight, the author captures the thrill of falling in love after 60 and the disruption romance can introduce into a well-settled life."

Note: The author, Helen Simonson, has agreed to visit our discussion!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson ~ Coming in April
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
We've just tallied the votes for the April/May discussions...and just like that, we have a new title to explore in April.  

Have any of you read this book?  It is Helen Simsonson's first novel, so that everything we know about her will come from reading her book, reading reviews and listening to the comments from those who have read the book already.  Since some of you do not like reading reviews before reading a book, we'll refrain from quoting too many sources.

Since the majority of you have voted for this one, you must have heard good things about it.  I'm really looking forward to Helen Simonson's debut, which has generated so much enthusiastic comment.  Anything labelled "dry, delightful comedy"  gets my attention.  A comedy, a later-in-life love story, what more could we ask for?

Don't miss this!

serenesheila

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »
I am so looking forward to rereading this book!  I read it a few months ago.  It touched me in many ways.  I am already looking forward to the author's next novel.  I voted for this.  I have it on my Kindle.  I look forward to discuaaing it with all of you.

Sheila

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:16:19 PM »
This was my first choice on the second round.  I'll see you all in April.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 12:11:14 AM »
I'm with you pat and Sheila - this was my first choice and I am so glad this is "The" book for the majority -  A second read Sheila - wow that says a lot about what appears to be a simple story.

I am ready for something light with love and less complication than the headlines in the news  - I have not started it yet - I had ordered it in expectation - and to my delight, lo and behold here it is the book most of us decided we needed to read - don't know about others but for me I was expecting a story to calm and fill our spirits -

I have agreed to be a  co-leader for the discussion - there are 10 days in April when I am out of pocket and so we will have another discussion leader at least for April 5 through the 15th and maybe we will split the month - we shall see what we shall see.

I am so looking forward to this and I hope - I hope - I hope Rosemary you can join us or at least be a resource since I understand the story takes place in Britain. The Britain of today rather than the cozy, thatched roof cottage, village life Britain between the wars or before WWI. This story I understand is very much a story of today...

Hats off to those of you who have read the book - we know and appreciate how hard it is not to give away what happens - so we salute you as you will be holding onto with a giggle in your heart what happens next.

I can see the  mad scramble now as some of you get your name on the library list - you might want to just break down and buy a copy - I got a new copy from Amazon for only $9. - just click the Amazon button on the top of the page and  make your order - by the way a couple of  years ago I paid - I forget how much - not bundles as I recall and so every book I purchase comes to me in two days with NO additional postage charged, unless I buy a market place book and then there is a shipping fee - which means I must add the shipping fee to the price of a used book to see if the combined cost is less than the buying  the new book from Amazon without the addition of shipping - I can heartedly recommend paying the one time extra for that service.

I won't start to read the story just yet, IRS requires my attention for a bit so that I can have April free of that worry - we have about two weeks till we start - and so by next week I plan to be able to sit back and enjoy the read.

P.S. Don't you just love the front cover - that color blue against the lavender does things - is her hat a rust color do you think? The whole thing is just striking, elegant and yet comfortable...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
I loved the book.  We'll be out of town until the middle of the month, but will check back in after that.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
Great Maryz - look forward to your input - you always see the cheerful - have fun...by the way is there a question you think we should pursue when reading this story?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 04:34:23 PM »
I'm on the list for this book when it's available at my library.  I've heard a number of people say it's most enjoyable.

jane

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »
Tra La - great Jane - this appears from what folks are saying and just the cover alone to be a nice fun read...

Found this today about the author - evidently this is her first book published.

About the Author

• Birth—ca. 1964-65
• Where—England, UK
• Education—London School of Economics; M.F.A., State
   University of New York, at Stony Brook
• Currently—lives in Washington, DC,

"I have lived in America for over twenty years. I have been a long-time and proud resident of Brooklyn and have recently moved with my family to the Washington D.C. area. However, I was born in England, and when I was a teenager, my family achieved the English dream - to move to a house in the country.

"East Sussex, with its sleepy villages, medieval smuggling towns, and unique pebble-bank shores is my vision of 'home.'' My family lives near Rye, a 14th Century smuggling port on a cobbled hill, from which the sea receded long ago. It is marooned in the Romney Marshes (where Charles Dickens' Pip grew up) yet clings to its designation as a member of the Cinque Ports. Close by are the seaside towns of Hastings and Eastbourne and to the west, the Downs swell up into a ridge of grassy hills topped by the hundred mile trail known as the South Downs Way. It is literary country—Henry James at Lamb House, Rye; Kipling at Batemans, Burwash; Virginia Woolf at Monk's House, near Lewes—and this heritage was always a great inspiration to me.

"As a young woman, I could not wait to go to college in London, or to move three thousand miles away from home to America. Yet I have always carried with me a longing for England that will not fade. I think this dichotomy—between the desire for home and the urge to leave—is of central interest to my life and my writing."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 10:13:24 PM »
Don't you just love the cover of this book?   It's from a 1924 Life Magazine cover, called April Fool.  I've read the book, loved it, and told DIL I was keeping her autographed copy a bit longer just in case we had a discussion here.  And am hoping my f2f group will get it on the agenda as well.

It seems there have been some really good acclaimed FIRST novels the past few years.  This is a first novel, Kathryn Stockett's THe Help is a first novel, The Guernsey Literary Society is a first novel, and Abraham Verghese's Cutting for Stone is a first novel.  I'm sure there are others, but these are what come to mind.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 11:27:56 PM »
It's from a 1924 Life Magazine cover, called April Fool
it looks so contemporary who would have guessed from 1924 - I remember Life magazine but for some reason I'm seeing the photography in the magazine and on the cover as black and white - I am sure there was color because so many of the covers were Norman Rockwell and I can see those in my mind's eye in color. But then I may be as old as the dinosaurs but I do not go back to 1924.

Well here it is as a poster available today - the colors on the poster are not as delicate as the cover illustration on the book - I prefer the illustration on the book Vintage Life Magazine April 1924

Thanks Pedln for that - I wonder if the age of the cover has anything to do with the time the story takes place - we shall see what we shall see won't we.

Although, it is up to y'all - if those who have read the book want to tell  us when in history this story takes place we can add to our posts the next two weeks tidbits about what was going on, maybe a few recipes from the time - you know the background that puts us into the story once we start to share...

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »
The story is set in contemporary time.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 11:54:15 PM »
Mary is that in the twenty-first century or the twentieth century...?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 01:51:55 AM »
Well here is a bit about the name ---

Pettigrew
Recorded in the spellings of Pettegre, Petegre, Pettigrew, Petigrew, Petticrew and Petegrew, this is a Medieval 13th century English surname, but of French origins.

The phrase "petit cru", meaning in this context, small person, was introduced into Britain after the 1066 Norman invasion, when French became the official language. Originally "petit cru" was used as a nickname of endearment, similar to "young son", the later surname "Youngson".

Victorian researchers however concluded that "petit cru" was a nickname for a dwarf, but whilst this may have applied in a few cases, the name could hardly have achieved its level of popularity had the origin either been uncomplimentary, or so restrictive.

The name is particularly well recorded in East Anglia, and all the early recordings come from this region. Examples include:
  • Roger Petitcru of Bury St Edmunds in the year 1268,
  • John Petegrew, in the rolls known as the "Feudal Aids" for the county of Suffolk, in 1346,
  • Robert Pedegrewe, of the same county in the Subsidy Rolls of 1568.
  • Thomas Pettigrew (1791 - 1865) was an early archaeologist and senior surgeon at Charing Cross Hospital, London, in 1835.
  • Walter Peticruw which was dated 1227, in the Assize Court rolls of Colchester, Essex, during the reign of King Henry 111, known as "The Frenchman" 1216 - 1272, the first recorded spelling of the family name

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 02:29:28 AM »
Looks like a British Major earns between 73,000 dollars and about 88,000 dollars a year. I wonder what they make in retirement - it appears Major Pettigrew has a sur name of some lineage and a comfortable income - defiantly middle class - in fact the lower end of the middle of the middle class.

In the US Army the rank of Major earns a year between $50,664 and $84,588 -  I am sure on both accounts there are additions to the salary for housing, if you are overseas etc. and I have no idea if a British Major in rank is equal to or above the rank of Major in the US Army however, it appears the Brits do make more money.

Steph

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 06:35:41 AM »
I put it on my IPAD and will try to come and go with you. I have an elderhostel the first week in April, so it will depend on how busy they keep us..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
Barb, can't remember that specifically - I'd guess 21st, but somebody else, feel free to chime in.

Which Elderhostel are you doing, Steph?  Have you said, and I've just forgotten? ::)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »
Yes, Steph - what is the focus of the Elderhostel you are doing?  Who else posting here has taken advantage of Elderhostel?

Thanks Mary - so the story really is very contemporary - one of the descriptions talked about a village with thatched roofs and so I thought maybe it was about an earlier time in the twentieth century - there are some Pakistani names among the characters and where London had experienced a large growing Asian populations especially in the 60s and 70s it could be that the smaller villages are only now seeing a bigger influx of folks who were not of Anglo Saxon, Norman or Celtic heritage.

It is so muggy here today and has been for two days now - had to put my AC on to get any sleep and my nose and throat tells me the main filter needs changing and that is located outside in a closet off the patio - such a hassle - I think first a cup of peppermint tea is in order then I will tackle cutting filter material and getting out the screw drivers. I can at minimum be thankful warm is returning.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »
I would agree with MaryZ -- 21st century.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 10:36:03 AM »
Thanks  pedln -  thought we could at least get some of the background that put these characters in a setting -  with the story told in our current time looks like the people will be acting out from today and not yesterday. Although, I must say knowing the history of the Major's name and his salary gives me a picture of him as an Englishman content within his skin and he may even have more conservative values if he was army retired.

Only met and worked with one women from Pakistan some 15 years ago or so - I imagined at the time it was a very exotic country - she had two grown children and she returned to visit her family every other year - she was very derisive of the way women, especially divorced women were treated and the process of divorce by a Pakistani man was very one sided - or at least that was her experience. She had a sister who lived in the states and it was the sister who owned a hotel here that she was running since the divorce - this was the first time she ever worked outside her home for money - she was experiencing lots of changes in her life that her sister supported but her parents back in Pakistan were horrified. I remember seeing  her in her office in her national dress that were billowy pants under a tunic where I was expecting a sari. Well I will soon see if my experience prepares me for the characters in this story.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »
Barb, we were in England last summer and saw plenty of thatched roofs - they’re not unusual at all.

We’ve done lots of Elderhostels (now Road Scholars) - both in the states and overseas.  We love the programs in general and always go through the catalogs looking for another one.  The last ones we did were back-to-back in September 2009 (Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, and Crisfield, MD) - both great!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
I guess  you are right - my last trip over was 15 years ago - maybe thatched roofs are mentioned to give an impression of a traditional village that is being used to help foil the story in some manner

Years ago I sent for a catalog from Elderhostel - hmmm I should look online I bet their schedule and catalog is now online.

Does anyone know what is particular in the way of food to Pakistan?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »
When did they change the name Mary - found it and yes, it is now called Road Scholar

http://www.roadscholar.org/programs/usa.asp

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 02:37:40 PM »
I'm in.  Anything about later-in-life romance gets my attention.  Am thinking now of Elegance of the Hedgehog.  Wonderful book if you haven't read it yet.
   I love the cover too.  The red hat, the stylish clothes, the way she is nestled against his chest, head in his neck.  They don't seem to care who is watching. Thanks for the information on the cover, Pedln.  I thought  the clothes looked like they were from the 20's.  But the story is set in more modern times?  Don't you wonder why this cover was chosen?

Barbara, something jumped out of your posted information on the author -

"Currently—lives in Washington, DC."

Shall I get in touch with her to see if she'll join us?  What do you think?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »
Barb, in the fall of 2009, they changed it to something else (to get away from the "elder" and "hostel" connotations), which turned out to belong to some other organization.  They had previously acquired the Road Scholar program, so they went with that name instead in 2010.  They have done away with the age requirements, and are offering more "active" programs and ones that might be geared to the 45-60 age range (my take on it, not an official one).  There are still plenty of programs for all ages, IMO, and they're very good about stating the activity level of each program.

They still send out paper catalogs unless you specifically ask them not to do so.  We usually browse the paper catalogs, and register on line.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »
Wheee Joan wouldn't that be grand  - please, yes, if only for a one time visit - how much fun.

Mary thanks for explaining the name change - I have been glued to the online catalog - lots of possibilities - I've been so busy working all these years that there was little time for more than visiting my daughter when I could and that is a 1500 mile one way car trip.

It appears most of you have already read the book - we shall have to think through here how to discuss this chosen book instead of piece meal it may be that we break it by subject matter or something - I need to read  it - and please feel free to throw out your ideas of how you would like to see us discuss the book - we have 4 weeks and the easiest would be to divide the book into 4 sections but if you know what happens than that may not be the best way to organize this discussion.

Getting a bunch of themes could be a way to discuss this - I can see that I just have to get busy and read - my best laid plans of mice and men sort of thinking may be disturbed as I  use the weekend for reading instead of to sort out  for the IRS - of course anything to delay Uncle Sam :o hahaha

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 03:30:07 PM »
Barb...Some Pakastani urls on food...looks like kebabs, lamb, mutton, curry, etc. are big:

http://pakistan.saarctourism.org/pakistan-food.html

http://www.khanapakana.com/438/recipes-by-chef/shireen-anwar

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »
OK, let me get some things done around here - will try to reach her on Monday.

I haven't read the book yet...just checked and see I'm 4th on the library hold list.  Let's not forget those of us who haven't read the book when deciding how to approach the discussion...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 03:40:45 PM »
 Ok Joan - we will make sure a consensus includes everyone - and thanks - cheers to you that you will contact the author - this is special - what a gift you are...

Thanks Jane - a few recipes to look into - have you ever eaten or cooked Pakistani food? I think here in Austin there is one Indian restaurant but there is a difference between the two cultures - its been awhile since the two countries separated but it seems to me it was partly a religious difference - I did see bits of a special on PBS something about folks uprooted from their homes on both the Indian and Pakistani side.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
Hi Barbara!  I'm on a reserved list at my library.  I have looked twice at the cover of this book (from the picture above) and I see a hat rack with two hats and two coats hanging.  I do not see two people, what am I missing?  Or is this a puzzle one is supposed to solve?

We read and discussed Gandhi's autobiography years ago and he was in tears over the division of India and Pakistan.  He tried very hard to keep it all one nation, but it was religion that separated the two countries. 

Now, of course, I forget the details, I'll look up our discussion.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
Ella there must be two covers - seems to me I remember seeing more than  one cover for this book - I wonder - do you by chance have the hardback edition - sometimes they have a separate cover for the Hardback versus the Softback.

Yes, please if  you have a snippet that can fill us in - I know we do not want or need the whole history but to get a bit of an idea who or from what culture some of the  characters are depicting.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 04:12:36 PM »
No, Barbara, I do not have the book, I am looking at the cover portrayed above and then I looked at the Life Magazine cover you posted.

Here is a short history of the division of India:

http://www.english.emory.edu/Bahri/Part.html

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 04:23:34 PM »
I read it on my Kindle, so didn't see the cover.  But the one at the top of this page, on closer inspection, certainly looks like coats and hats on a coat rack.  :D

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »
Thanks Ella for the link about the split

I did find the alternate cover but it is of the same two figures with instead of a blue background a tan background.
Here is the link to the hardback edition
Hardback Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
You know you are right Mary - look at where his pant legs should be - now if that isn't the bottom of a coat rack I don't know what is...

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
That's very funny.  I just looked again at the cover in the heading - it COULD be a coat rack, I guess. :D

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »
Of course - Last Stand - hahahaha  :D

Frybabe

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 05:22:32 PM »
X marks my spot.

Hi, gang. Will be here. Have book.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 06:59:12 PM »
Oh, duh, Barbara.  Of course, Last Stand.  Aren't you smart for picking up on that.  The 1924 idea is very clever, and it's perfect for this title.

Steph

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 06:23:54 AM »
My Road Scholar(elderhostel) program is from the 3rd through the 8th of April. It is in St. Augustine and is the history of St. Augustine with walks and tours through all of the various stages.
I love Road Scholar, get the paper catalogues, so I can bookmark and make notes on programs. For a widow it is a safe way to travel and I love to learn things, so it is really a good choice for me. They go all over the world.. I pay the single supplement, since I am a bit wary of rooming with a stranger.
Stephanie and assorted corgi