Author Topic: Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland Prediscussion  (Read 20160 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 11:04:46 PM »
CLARA and MR. TIFFANY

by Susan Vreeland

"For a century, everyone assumed that the iconic Tiffany lamps were conceived and designed by that American master of stained glass, Louis Comfort Tiffany. Not so! It was a woman!" (Susan Vreeland)

Vreeland captures Gilded Age New York and its atmosphere--robber barons, sweatshops, colorful characters, ateliers from the  voluminous letters belonging to the Tiffany glass studio manager, Clara Driscoll, discovered by the author

"Susan Vreeland has once again revealed the people and the stories behind Art. “Clara and Mr. Tiffany” makes for compelling and enjoyable reading. It’s a good story that happens to be based on fact. An Afterword defines which of the book’s details were real and which ones were filled in by the author’s imagination." (Amazon review )
Please post here if you can join us in May.
We'd like to invite Susan Vreeland to join us

Discussion Schedule:

May 1 --7   Chapters 1 – 12   p. 101

Related Links:   NPR Interview with Susan Vreeland  Morse Museum, Winter Park, FL - World's largest collection of Tiffany glass;

Discussion Leaders:  Pedln  & Annie

Of course I have not the foggiest notion of how to post it!!  Help!

OK, we're working on that, JoanR, and will get back to you very pronto.  I can't wait to see it.  Do you use photobucket, by any chance?

Ella, I'm glad you have your book, and while I would hardly strive to keep your sister from your door, I will say that we hope you have no other distractions to keep you from your reading.

Sally, all our fingers are crossed for you.

Ah, Callie, this is not biology class.  We'll just gossip.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 11:07:06 PM »
I'm second on the hold list at my Library - I'm being postive.  Joan R, can you email me your photo and I'll take it from there?

CallieOK

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2011, 11:35:49 PM »
Pedlin,   :D

Right now, I don't understand most of what I'm reading about creating stained glass windows and objects. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 08:11:56 PM »
Whoops tired to let you know I was going to be as much a part of the read as I could by posting on the main discussion page - but I  understand that was jumping the gun  - sorry -  just to let you know I plan on peeking in but as of  yet, my book has not arrived.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

salan

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2011, 05:18:18 AM »
Yeah, library called late yesterday and my book is in.  I will pick it up today.  Do we start tomorrow or Sunday? 
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »
My book just came too!  Ready to start - tomorrow, May 1 - which is Sunday.  The discussion dates are posted in the heading, the first post at the top of each page.

Did you start reading, Sally?  Callie, now you can understand the learning curve Susan Vreeland had to face to write this book!

CallieOK

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 11:36:33 AM »
Joan,  better she than me!   :D

Steph

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »
Finally able to be back with all of you. The Morse with the new addition is spectacular.. Hugh and Jeannette McKean saved so much of the Tiffany estate glass. There is still a large warehouse with large pieces to be resurrected. But The Daffodil terrace is done and so very beautiful. Jeanette Genius McKean was the granddaughter of Samue Morse..That is why the museum is the Morse.
I went to an Elderhostel(Road Scholar) in St. Augustine and there is a lot of Tiffany glass there. Two churches and Flagler College ( Flagler college was once the first of the wonderful resort hotels built by Samuel Flagler). The dining room is full of Tiffany windows..
I have the book on my IPad and have read a bit, but not much. However I like it very much and plan on picking up some more vreeland, since I like her style.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »
Oh Steph, it's good to see you here, and you've been to the Morse Museum.  I was wondering just when you were going to go.  This is on the campus of Rollins College?  We'll be wanting to hear more about it from you when you have a chance to catch up.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2011, 08:34:46 PM »
Here we go...

This will be great fun.  If you've read the first chapters, you can see how Susan Vreeland has done her homework!  We'll close this PREDISCUSSION now and begin the  Discussion of Susan Vreeland's Clara and Mr. Tiffany - Here