Author Topic: Old Filth by Jane Gardam ~ June Book Club Online Prediscussion  (Read 24044 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Please Post below if you can join us in June!
 Everyone is welcome!

Old Filth
 by Jane Gardam
"The opening pages of the book find Filth (Sir Edward Feathers), a retired but still unassailable old barrister whose reputation has grown to such mythic proportions that it obstructs the hard truths of a man so damaged by his past that he has found himself forever unable to love.
It's only as Filth toddles gracefully into old age that he can begin to rediscover the parts of himself that he has locked away and come to terms with the dark secrets that made him the man he became."   (Reviewed by Maggie O'Farrell)

The novelist,  Jane Gardam was born  in Coatham, North Yorkshire on July  11. 1928. Her title character's late-in-life questions about whether his life has had meaning are especially moving—and universal, given this author's own experience and age.
“Both witty and poignant, this work is more than a character study; through her protagonist, Gardam offers a view of the last days of empire as seen from post-9/11 Britain.  Borrowing from biography and history, Gardam has written a literary masterpiece that retraces much of of the 20th century's torrid and momentous history.”
  Library Journal  

Discussion Schedule for next week:

June 1 - June 5   ~ Part I  Scene:  Inner Temple; The Donheads; Kotakinakulu; Inner Temple  pgs.  1 - 48  (up to the Wales Chapter)

Some Pre-discussion topics for Consideration
May 18 - 31

1 "The older you get, it all returns to childhood."    Are you finding this to be true in your own life?

2. Did you notice Jane Gardam's dedication in the front of the book?  What do you know of the "Orphans of the Raj" and their parents?  In what sense were these children orphans?

3. The author relates that Rudyard Kipling's short story,  "Baa Baa Black Sheep,"  made a great impression on her.  You'll find links here in the heading to  this story and a short biography of Kipling.

Related Links:
 A Brief Biography of Rudyard Kipling;
 Kipling's "Baa Baa Black Sheep";
 BBC interview with Jane Gardam on Old Filth, 2006;

Discussion Leaders:   Traude  & Joan P

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Old Filth by Jane Gardam ~ June Book Club Online MOVE
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »
What a delightful book!  Jane Gardam has written a book with something for everyone, which I am certain will make for a lively discussion here!  Thank you for your vote, which brought this book to our attention.   The author herself is in her late seventies.  She knows what she is talking about when she writes of retirement, aging and rediscovering parts of oneself in the process.

Jane Gardam's Old Firth come alive in these pages, as his life and the British Empire comes to a close.  Oh, and don't be put off by the title - it is not what it seems - or is it?
You will probably be able to get a library copy as this book was written in 1987.  Reserve your copy now!

ALF43

Re: Old Filth by Jane Gardam ~ June Book Club Online
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »
Jpan- will this be discussed in June?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:43:44 PM »
June 1 - can you make it?  You have been missed!  I think you'll love this one!

Tomereader1

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
My copy is in at the library, will pick it up tomorrow! (they're closed today)  You make it sound really good, and I am hoping it is all you have said.  (I tried another book that was recommended here awhile back, and it was so deadly dull that I took it back quickly.) And to embellish the point, I don't even remember the title!  I don't think it was part of a "discussion", but was highly recommended by a few.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

CallieOK

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:24:17 PM »
X - marking my spot

serenesheila

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »
Count me in.  I am looking forward to it.

Sheila

CallieOK

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:59:24 PM »
I'm next in line for "Old Filth" at the library.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 01:13:20 AM »
How marvelous that this book got the nod for discussion!  It is wonderful and quite funny. I read it right after it was published and was so taken with it that I followed up with every other book of the author's that the public library had.

Jane Gardam OBE has won many awards in Britain but is unfortunately not nearly as well known in this country as her compatriot Anita Brookner (Hotel du Lac).  They also are contemporaries,   both born  in July 1928, about a week apart.

Since I've  volunteered to co-lead the discussion I'd like to take this opportunity to warmly welcome all those who intend to join in. I hope many more will follow your lead.

Andy, so good to see you ! You were missed. You'll like this book, I predict. It is poignant and funny. And lest anyone thinks the second word in the title is  a "dirty word", it stands for " Failed in London, Try Hong Kong", a word of advice for a lawyer who can't cut it in London.

Gumtree

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:08:19 AM »
I've read Old Filth and want to read it again - so of course I'll be here lurking around as usual.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ALF43

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 07:49:56 AM »
Yes, Joan, I will be able to make it. Although we will be traveling  a great deal in the month of June I will take my Nook.  I've already downloaded it.
Thank you Traude and Joan,  it is nice to be missed sometimes.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
Traude is here!  Thanks for bringing in the acronym, FILTH.  And yes, though I have only read the opening chapters, I'll agree with you already, the book is funny...and as you say, "poignant."  You've read ALL of Gardam's books the library in MA had?  About how many would you say they had?  I'm going to admit that I'd never heard of this very popular British author before.  She's won earned so many prizes I'm not going to try to remember.  So happy to have this opportunity to find out what I've been missing all these years.

Tomereader, the book is said to be funny, poignant and sometimes painful to read.  I don't think you will find much room for boredom here.

Gum! - Andy - Callie Sheila and Tomereader!   This is so much fun, welcoming each one of you!  And you are here early for the best seats - up front!

This morning in the Suggestion Box, Rosemary left a link to an interview with Jane Gardam given back in 2006.  I've put a link to the interview in the heading here - BUT for those who have not yet read the book, it probably  contains a bit too much information that will spoil the element of surprise.  I recommend you save it to savor at the end of the discussion - or at least until you have read the book.
Be on the lookout for Rosemary - she can translate the British language for us.  I liked one of the expressions the author used in the interview as she described the "pottiness" of old age.  I sensed the meaning, but never heard of the term before.
In this interview, the author agrees with the interviewer - "the older you get, it all returns to childhood."
Have you found this to be true?  

bellamarie

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
Okay "funny" got my attention.  After just finishing up Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and enjoying the humor, I must join in Old FILTH.  Thanks for the understanding, I kept thinking I was reading it wrong.  lolol

JoanP, "the book is said to be funny, poignant and sometimes painful to read."Hmmm...I hope not too painful.

Save a seat for me!

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 06:14:27 PM »
Hello, Bellamarie, and Welcome !  Good to have you here.
To explain the acronym was not really premature because the author herself mentions it on the first page of the book, quite possibly to rule out misconceptions from the start.

Thanks for the link to the interesting interview, JoanP, perfectly handled,  has thoughtful questions from a polite, respectful audience without interruptions in mid-sentence or  talking-over others. Impressive.

JoanP, yes, I read three other Gardam books in addition to Old Filfth. But sisnce the latter is our focus for June, I won't mention the others,  even though two of them do have a bearing on O.F.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 09:17:15 AM »
ANDY, you have been missed!  Happy to see you here!

I read the book some time ago, also, and would like to participate.  Filth is one of my favorite characters.  I think I read another one of Gardam's books but cannot remember; I'll look it up.  Something  about HAT I think.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »
Ella, so good to see you here - Welcome!  We know how you feel about Fiction - but Old Filth is set against the backdrop of nearly a century of history and change.  There is much for you to like here.  But you know that - you read the book - and you are here with us to talk about it.
After Old Filth, Jane Gardam wrote two more books about Sir Edward Feathers - I know the title wasn't The Man in the Big Yellow Hat - but something like that... ;D

Bella - a mix of funny and poignancy - and the survival of the human spirit,perhaps.
Did you notice Jane Gardam's dedication in the front of the book?  Are any of you familiar with the "Orphans of the Raj" and their parents?  Why were these children considered "orphans"?

CallieOK

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »
My library has seven Jane Gardam books, including "The People On Privilege Hill" (pub. 2008) and "The Man In The Wooden Hat" (pub. 2009).   "God On The Rocks" was published in 2010.

The others were published earlier in this century - except for "Queen of the Tambourine", described as Suspense Stories, published in 1991.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 02:25:08 PM »
Welcome, Ella !  Yes, the book you mentioned is The Man in the Wooden Hat, as Callie confirmed above. It is a sequel to Old Filth written from the perspective of his wife.

Callie, The People of Privilege Hill is a collection of short stories, one of which involves our barrister of Old Filfth. The Queen of the Tamourine is vintage Gardam portraying wonderfully affectig characters of amazing variety.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »
I simply would not have thought it!  The Internet is full of references to OLD FILTH and its author:  Just to quote a bit from the British Daily Mail online:

"At its heart, Old Filth is a study of the so-called 'Raj Orphans', young children who were sent by their parents from the warm colonies of the British Empire back to the chilly mother country to be brought up by relatives, or even strangers.
Although it's not something that happened to Jane, influences from books she'd read are everywhere.
In this case it was former Raj Orphan Rudyard Kipling who was a source of inspiration. Jane read his story Baa Baa, Black Sheep, an account of Kipling's own experiences when he was sent to Britain from his birthplace in India.
"I couldn't bear to be in the same room as that book; it was horrifying," says Jane.
"Before that, I'd always thought it was rather smart to be a Raj Orphan. They seemed slightly superior, and very confident; it was only later I realised how terrible it was.
"It was accepted as quite normal to send your children overseas for years, but it was absolutely barmy," she continues.
"I wanted to show what it does to a child ?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-367157/Children-Empire.html

(p.s. I just got word that my sister will be visiting me in June, so am not sure how much time I can devote to reading/posting about the book.)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 11:19:15 AM »
Callie, it struck me  at first that Jane Gardham, born in 1928, must have written  "God On The Rocks" at the age of 82!  But I checked it out and found that this book was published in the US in 2010 - but was actually an early work,  a finalist for the Booker Prize back in 1978.
I'm wondering if she is still writing...

Ella, I just had an idea - why not try to get your sister interested in the book too?

Thank you for the information on these "Raj Orphans" -
"young children who were sent by their parents from the warm colonies of the British Empire back to the chilly mother country to be brought up by relatives, or even strangers."

I am ignorant at the idea of sending children to be brought up by relatives or strangers...because of the heat!  Safety, I can understand...but I'd move to a cooler climate rather than send my child away for an indefinite period...
Well, this isn't about me, so I mustn't comment. about what actually took place.  Can anyone explain what it was that compelled people to stay in India once children were born?  

Speaking of "my child" - my Will spent 10 work-related days in India- he was in the airport in Mumbai  (Bombay) the day Usama bin Laden was killed.  Tension was high, airlines were striking...but what concerned him was that he had to wear his suit for business in 107 degree heat - for the ten days he'd be there.  The heat is fierce there - Yesterday it was 113 degrees!

Bellamarie, the painful part
 of the story seems to me to be Old Filth's childhood and  his days as a Raj Orphan.  As Ella writes, Jane Gardam was horrified at reading Kipling's short story -"Baa Baa Black Sheep," his story of another Raj orphan.
Dare you to read the story - or at least start it.  There's a link to the electronic text in the heading.  Let us know how far you get...

Gumtree

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 11:40:24 AM »

I believe the British in India and elsewhere sent their children 'home' for two reasons - firstly the parents wanted their offspring to have an English education and secondly, the incidence of disease and death in children who remained in India or the tropics after the age of five or so was extremely high - another good reason to send them away. The parents no doubt stayed in their posts for economic reasons and of course, as sending the children home was the usual thing to do no-one would have thought too much of it. People everywhere still send their children away to boarding school at a very tender age and for less reason than the British in India had.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 09:51:32 PM »
"as sending the children home was the usual thing to do no-one would have thought too much of it."

Gum, I just spent some time reading Kipling's Baa Baa, Black Sheep - the link is in the heading.  Have you read it?  The whole thing?  I gather that most of the Homes that took in children from India were not as bad as the family that took in Kipling's Punch and Judy.  If it was "the usual thing" to do, and conditions were so bad, word would have got out about what happened to the kids.  What struck me reading Kipling's story - with parents so far away - for years, the kids seem to have had no one to turn to - no one to appeal to-

"People everywhere still send their children away to boarding school at a very tender age and for less reason than the British in India had."

I can relate to the boarding school situation.  My mother died soon after I turned seven - two months later; I was in boarding school.  They weren't cruel to me there or anything, but this was a devastating, life-changing experience.
I think that a school provides more supervision and children are safer than Punch and Judy were with that dreadful Auntie Rose..  I have to wonder how many children experienced such cruelty.

Bellamarie - please don't come away thinking that OLD FILTH is as sad a story as Kipling's.   If you've started the book, you'll see that Filth spent only a few years at Home before attending boarding school.

bellamarie

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
JoanP,  I will definitely check out Kipling's Baa Baa Black Sheep, afterall, how can a pass up a dare.  lolol  I have not gotten the book Old FITH yet, I am deciding if I want to read it on my nook color or check it out of the public library.  I love my nook, but miss holding a real book.  Hey look at that I made a rhyme.  lol

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 11:33:32 PM »
Good news, my book has arrived and I am glad I can now refresh my memories of the story.

As Gumtree has said, in the two and a half centuries of the British Empire it became a custom that the children of, first the traders of the East India Company, and later the military and administrative personnel, were sent to England to be educated to shield them from the tropical
climate and protect them from tropical diseases. There is no doubt that in many cases the long separations between children and their parents inflicted irreparable harm. But in many instances the children were placed with family members in England, and experiences as bleak as Kipling's surely were in the minority. The British wives steadfastly stayed in India with their husbands through thick and thin. There are several books out that describe the memsahibs, as they were called, and their courage.

Readers of this story need to understand that there was no fraternization, no contact,  between the rulers and the ruled in India. The British established and lived in what were called cantonments  , with a club and often a church, and only servants had permission to be there. The effects of the extreme weather were most pronounced in the plains, and that is why hill stations, locations near mountainous areas, were sought after. It is well known that, in the "worst" months of the year,  the British Viceroys transferred the staff from Calcutta and conducted all activities in a place called SIMLA .

This is a part of history with which we are not familiar in this country.  But it is something we ought to know about, even though it is only one aspect in the novel we are reading, and background information. The British Empire ended in 1947 when the subcontinent was divided into two two nations, India and Pakistan  -- and there has been no lasting peace since.
now we may be a little better prepared for readig this book.

ALF43

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
In this interview, the author agrees with the interviewer - "the older you get, it all returns to childhood."
Have you found this to be true?  

My oh my- do I ever find this to be true, at this juncture!  As life throws you curves, I believe that we all tend to fall back on those "comfort" days of yester-year.  To many, of us, childhood denotes an era of security, spontaneity and unaffected days that we all hold dear.
Planning our June, 50th high school class reunion and speaking with so many "forgotten" class mates about our experiences, I have really returned to my adolescence.  (Some would argue, I imagine, that I have never left my adolescent period.) ;D

Thank you Traude for that back ground information re. the British Empire.

bellamarie

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »
I just finished reading Baa Baa Black Sheep by Rudyard Kipling.  My heart goes out to Punch, how on earth could any child be treated so unforgiveably cruel?  Thank you JoanP. for daring me to read it.  Although it was bit a difficult in the beginning, I was determined to see it through.  It reminded me of a book I read many years ago called, "Hinds' Feet on High Places" by Hannah Hurnard.  It has the same style and message I think.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 10:33:01 PM »
Bellamarie, did you get the idea that young Punch will be fine now and go into his future fully recovered with no repercussions from  his time spent at Home?
I'm on my way to read
"Hinds' Feet on High Places" by Hannah Hurnard.

I'm really interested in learning of the experiences of the Home children during this period.    It was Kipling's story that planted the seed for  Jane Gardam's Filth's experience. 

Kipling's own experience as a young boy is worth reading about too -  A Brief Biography of Rudyard Kipling

Traude, it is reassuring to know that "such experiences were surely in the minority."  Even without heartless and twisted caretakers, I can't believe that a child's life would not be affected by separation from his/her parents at such a young age for the formative years, can you? 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 10:58:41 PM »
"To many, of us, childhood denotes an era of security, spontaneity and unaffected days that we all hold dear."  Andy

50th reunions are fun, aren't they?  I've been to mine several years ago.  Don't ask how many!   At first you don't recognize your former classmates - time has taken its toll - we've changed in appearance.
But as we laughed and talked and reminisced, we came to the conclusion that we were still the same as we were back then - only more so.  Exaggerated versions of our younger selves.

For those of you whose past contained no unpleasant or even traumatic experiences,  no regrets - you must consider yourself very  fortunate.  I pray that my own boys consider themselves as you fortunate as you are.  

bellamarie

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 01:03:17 AM »
JoanP,  Hmmm...I'm not sure if Punch could as you asked "did you get the idea that young Punch will be fine now and go into his future fully recovered with no repercussions from  his time spent at Home?"

When Judy made the comment to Punch in the last lines it sounded as if she felt he would never be free of the harm that came to him personally inside.  Yet, she said the thing about having faith.  I did so much enjoy the love his mother showed to him once they were back together, and how he did feel very confident that  his mother's love was unconditional, unwavering and he even proved it to Judy when he went in the ditch and their mother did not get angry and call him a pagal.  So yes, maybe he will be just fine.

Good luck with Hind's Feet on High Places, it's a bit confusing in the beginning but it was truly life changing for me.

Andy~Wow a 50 yr reunion, how exciting.  Our high school passed up our 40th this year and I was very much looking forward to it.  

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 03:24:45 AM »
Ordered my book today. 

Babi

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »
 Daughter Sally has promised to bring me a copy of Old Filth from her library.
Mine doesn't have it.  I'm hoping there won't be any major delay, as the book
does seem to be popular. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 06:07:53 AM »
Downloaded the book on my IPAD and will join the discussion.. Have not even looked at it yet..But have another week.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ALF43

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »
Yikes, Steph, only one week to go?  I had better get hopping here.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 09:13:54 AM »
Kidsal, happy to hear that you will be joining us.  You too, Babi!  Welcome!
(Thank you, daughter Sally!)  
Steph, you are just the person to help with the discussion schedule.  Because this book does not have Chapter numbers, we're going to have to put the TITLES the author has given to the chapters in the discussion schedule in the heading.

Page numbers are probably too varied to include.  The difference between paperback and hardcover page numbers, yes - but also the page numbers you with E-readers are seeing make page references worthless to you.  Confusing too?

For the first week we've scheduled  these chapters for discussion:

June 1 - June 5   ~ Part I  Scene:  Inner Temple; The Donheads;   pgs.  1 - 48

The page numbers you see there refers to the paging in the paperback.  Does it help, or distract?  Out of curiosity, what are the page numbers that you see for these chapters?  
Can you suggest a better way to refer to these pages, chapters?  Does it help providing the chapter titles?

Andy, good morning!  Does this scheduling help you? Are you reading a paperback, hardcover, or e-reader?  We're starting with only 50 pages to get acclimated...

ALF43

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »
Joan, I am reading this on my NOOK e-reader.  It has a total of 229 pages.
As long as we all agree on the names of the chapters, we should be alright.

On my e-reader: Part 1 starts on pg. 7-43, entitled SCENE: INNER TEMPLE
                           PAGES 44 THRU PG. 50             THE DONHEADS

That would take me through to begin THE OUTFIT on pg. 51

It makes a differences as to font etc.

ALF43

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
OH OH!  I made a mistake here.  The DONHEADS only goes thru page 23 on my NOOK and then Katakinakulu starts on pg. 24.  I skipped right over that one.  I'm sorry if I screwed anybody up with the wrong information.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 09:42:30 PM »
Andy, I'm sorry, it was me.  Let's start again.  Here's the discussion schedule for June 1 -

June 1 - June 5   ~ Part I  Scene:  Inner Temple; The Donheads; Kotakinakulu; Inner Temple  pgs.  1 - 48
Will you check again to see where the second Inner Temple chapter ends - the one following Kotakinakulu?  The page number.

Or another way to do this is simply to say - we'll discuss up to the Wales chapter...

ALF43

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »
OK Joan, up to the Wales Chapter takes me to page 37.  Thank yo.u

bellamarie

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 11:43:59 PM »
I am lucky enough to have six libraries within just miles of my home, so I called the closest branch and they didn't have it but they are having the main branch send it, so I will have it in just a couple of days.  I decided not to use my nook color because I do miss the feel of holding a book in my hands.  If I like it enough I will download it to my nook so I will own it.  Can't wait to begin.

Ciao for now~

MaryH

• Southeast Alaska
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 11:47:43 PM »
Please count me in to read this book.  It looks like an interesting choice!

I'll be reading it on my Kindle application for Macbook.  There aren't any page numbers on my version.  But I can follow your schedule if you include chapter titles.