Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Talking Heads ~ Book Towns

(1/9) > >>

BooksAdmin:
Talking Heads #12
June 15 - 30
"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A   forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper and online articles.
Bring your ideas and let's discuss.

Book Towns

Have you ever been to a Book Town?  Come tell us about it and maybe leave us a link to it?

~~~

A Book Town in Bécherel,  France

What do you know about "book towns" in North America or around the world?

Here's one in Canada:   Canadian Coastal Community Teeming in Book Titles

And another in Great Britain:  Hay-on-Wye: it’s about more than books

ANNIE:
Talking Heads will open again on June 15.  Welcome, everyone!  Imagine---a Book City!  That's the only reason people visit. For the last two weeks in June we are going to find and explore Book Cities throughout the world.

If you have ever been to one please tell us about it, starting June 15, and leave a link.
There are two book cities in the links above.  Look at how they have been established and now have annual festivals devoted to books.

pedln:
I love the idea of Book Towns, and remember when years ago we read Paul Collins' Sixpence House, about his stay in  Hay-on-Wye with his family.  But just what is a BookTown?

The link below tells about a writer's feelings about Ann Arbor, MI, a college town, and why the bookstores are special to her.

Ann Arbor

As much as I love visiting my girls in New York, I do miss going to the Charlottesville historic mall like I used to do when they lived in Virginia.  That mall, just a 2-3 block area, must have had at least four or five books stores, and each one was different.  That's where I found my indispensible Wheelock. (Latin).  I think I still have a few booksmarks from one of the stores,  "Read it again, Sam."

maryz:
I've never heard of "book towns", so I'll be interested in hearing what's involved in this discussion.

ANNIE:

http://www.worldhum.com/features/travel-interviews/larry_portzline_inside_bookstore_tourism_20051003/

I wish we had known about this tour in NYC last year.  'Twould have been a great high light to our visit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version