Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2011  (Read 77209 times)

JudeS

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2011
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2011 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2011 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

Case Histories
Three 120-minute mysteries — Sundays, October 16-30, 2011
Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter, The Patriot) stars as private investigator Jackson Brodie in a series of interlocked mysteries based on the gripping bestsellers by Kate Atkinson. Set in brooding, beautiful Edinburgh, the crimes are a mix of cold cases and fresh bloodshed that only a maverick ex-cop like Brodie can solve. October 16: Episode One (based on the novel Case Histories); October 23: Episode Two (based on the novel One Good Turn); October 30: Episode Three (based on the novel When Will There Be Good News?)

PAST PROGRAMS

Don't miss the following encore presentations of Inspector Lewis: The Point of Vanishing (Aug 7), Counter Culture Blues (Aug. 14), The Dead of Winter (Aug. 21), Dark Matter (Aug. 28), Your Sudden Death Question (Sept. 11) and Falling Darkness (Oct. 2). [Note: These episodes will have limited TV airings, so check local listings. These episodes are available to view online for a limited time at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html after they air.] Past SeniorLearn discussion of Inspector Lewis.

Inspector Lewis
Four 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, September 4 - October 9, 2011
In the all-new 2011 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle four cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things (Sept. 4), Wild Justice (Sept. 18), The Mind Has Mountains (Sept. 25) and The Gift of Promise (Oct. 9).

ZEN
Three 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, July 17 - 31, 2011
What does an honest cop do when corruption rules on both sides of the law? Detective Aurelio Zen (Rufus Sewell, Middlemarch), based on the novels by British crime writer Michael Dibdin, brings justice to modern-day Italy, whether the authorities want it or not.

Vendetta
July 17, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
Solving a politically-charged murder and winning a beautiful woman's heart nearly prevents Zen from learning that he is the object of a psychopath's murderous vendetta. With Stanley Townsend (Sherlock). Watch online 7/18 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

Cabal
July 24, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
When a playboy plummets from a bridge, Zen must determine suicide or murder, all the while navigating the possible existence of a powerful shadowy conspiracy group. Ed Stoppard (Upstairs Downstairs) co-stars. Watch online 7/25 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

Ratking
July 31, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
When a set of kidnappers won't play by the rules, Zen must work against the clock — and his tyrannical new boss — to save the life of a politically powerful industrialist. Ben Miles (The Forsyte Saga) co-stars. Watch online 8/1 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

The Pale Horse
July 10 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Miss Marple (Julia McKenzie - Cranford) seeks justice, armed with little more than a mysterious list of names sent by an old friend only moments before he was murdered. JJ Feild (Northanger Abbey) guest stars. Watch online through 8/10/11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Hercule Poirot: Season XI

Three Act Tragedy
June 19 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 7/19 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

The Clocks
June 26 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 7/26 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Hallowe'en Party
July 3 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 8/2 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I don't usually comment on this site . I usually like PBS Mysteries but this one, which my husband and I watched to the impossible end, was awful.  We won't continue with this series since it is sort of moronic.  A PI solving four cases in a two hour show, weaving back and forth between the cases without rhyme or reason, rhe detective's relationships with at least three different women in one segment...ye gads, not for me.
I prefer my Supermen to wear capes.
And I don't like my detectives dragging their young daughters to crime scenes. What an idea whose time has not come.

Tomereader1

« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »
I got in late to the show, but don't feel I really missed anything because the parts I did see were so bloody confusing.  I loved the Edinburg scenery, loved the lead actor.  Put on my Closed Caption so I could understand all the dialogue - - BUT, didn't make a lot of sense to me, and I supposed I will read the rest of the books.  I have read some of Atkinson already. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2011, 01:35:25 AM »
The episode did seem fractured to me too. Quite a few storylines! I think that the character of Jackson Brodie and his relationship with his young daughter is interesting. It looks like he went into police work because his sister was murdered and did it seem to you that his brother committed suicide? I don't think that we got to know Brodie very well. I hope that the next episode will reveal more.

jeriron

« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2011, 09:35:36 AM »
It was just OK. It took me half of it to get into it. although I did think it was a lot better then some American mysteries. A lot going on. I guess they will explain about the sister and him leaving the police force.I much prefer Police then private investigators.

MaryPage

« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »
Am now reading Kate Atkinson's "Case Histories," the first of her Jackson Brodie books.  By the way, Brodie is a family surname in my second husband's very Scottish family.  He being the father of my son Chip, it also belongs to him.  We have owned a dog, now deceased, with that name.  He was, of course, a Scottish Terrior and I could not abide him!

But I do like this book, so far.  I look forward to more Jackson Brodie tonight, and hope it will be a better put together show.  I think they tried to put too much in last week.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »
I found the novel, ONE GOOD TURN, in a thrift store yesterday. Since it is the second book in the Jackson Brodie series I think I'll wait to read it until I find the first one.

I just checked the synopsis for tonight's episode (based on ONE GOOD TURN). It looks like there are three different mysteries in this one also. Maybe that's how the author develops the books. It might be too much for a television episode to include them all.

jeriron

« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »
I thought this one was better than the first. all the stories fit into one another.and I got used to the character.

jeriron

« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2011, 08:32:50 AM »
Starting new on Nov. 13th

Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson star in The Song of Lunch, about a book editor and his former lover who reconnect over lunch.

Nov. 6th

Bill Nighy, Rachel Weisz, Michael Gambon and Ralph Fiennes star in the spy thriller Page Eight about an MI-5 officer caught in a conspiracy.

Frybabe

« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
I liked this one better too, Jeriron. It was smoother and easier to follow.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »
I have the same opinion, jeriron and Frybabe. I liked the stories all fitting together. What terrible events Jackson Brodie went through as a child. We're only given glimpses. I wonder if his parents were around?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2011, 11:51:11 AM »
I liked the stories all fitting together

Well yes, but there were still a heck of a lot of stories to fit.  I enjoyed it and watched it all, even though I had recorded it.  Perhaps it the TV format that makes it seem like so many subplots.

Jeriron, thanks for the info about what's coming up.  They sound good.

MaryPage

« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
I liked this one better than the first, as well;  I expect because it did not include a child being killed.  Anyway, the book is MUCH better than the film.  I am, of course, referring to the first one, as that is the book I am on.  I also own the second book, and will buy the third if I like the first two.

Still adore that little girl:  his daughter.

Brodie himself as a character, I do not much like.  He gets no sleep at all, which drives me crazy.  He is good hearted and truthful, but not very forthcoming.  I really, really hate the smoking. And, as good a swimmer as he is, I am left wondering why he could not have pulled the body back to shore with him.  I expect the book will cough up a reason.  Maybe it was just too icy cold to take on that burden and get himself back to shore.  There are all sorts of ways you learn to do this in lifesaving courses, which I have taken;  so I can only think it was the cold.  There are times when you just have to make a choice to save yourself, and the body was quite, quite dead.

Anyway, Masterpiece beats the heck out of commercial television for quality entertainment.

MaryPage

« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »
Well, I have read Kate Atkinson's CASE HISTORIES and will go on and read her One Good Turn, but I have to tell you, I do not believe I will buy any more of her books.

I find her a truly gifted writer.  She sets a scene and puts you right into it.  You see every detail in living color and practically hear people speaking and breathing.  BUT _________

But her characters are all so flawed and sleazy and unkempt and flaky and of a part of this world I have been just terribly lucky not to be part of or involved in;  nor do I want to be in my escapism reading.  Mysteries, for me, are clever puzzles to be solved, and I like them to be peopled with clever, witty, well educated and spoken people with normal habits and lives.

Does this make a a weirdo?  I'm feeling Atkinson writes about weirdos.

MaryPage

« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2011, 08:04:54 PM »
I meant to ask:  "does this make me a weirdo?", but by the time I got back in here and saw my error, it was too late to change it.

CubFan

« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2011, 05:16:32 PM »
MaryPage - if it does, that makes two of us as I feel exactly the same way.  Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

EvelynMC

« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2011, 05:51:03 PM »
Mary Page and Cub Fan,

I agree, so that makes three of us.

Evelyn

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2011, 05:55:14 PM »
Four of us!

MaryPage

« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
Yay!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »
Tonight I'm going to watch the last Case History for this season. It also concludes Masterpiece Mystery for the season.

Next week, we start Masterpiece Contemporary. See http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=2636.0

Frybabe

« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2011, 11:14:32 PM »
Well, this last Case Histories was the best of the lot, IMO. Interesting how all the different elements tied together.
Prior to this last show, my PBS station reran Poirot's Halloween episode. I forgot to watch it. Boo!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2011, 10:27:24 AM »
I thought this last Case Histories episode was good too. It was far-fetched that he would bring young Reggie with him to find the kidnapped victims but I liked the young girl.

MaryPage

« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2011, 02:45:59 PM »
I enjoyed it last night, as well.  On the whole, despite his heart being in the right place, I would not like Jackson Brodie.  I found myself wishing him well, but he has disgusting habits.

The books take place in Cambridge.  I have no idea why they moved the place to Edinburgh.

"To date, Jackson Brodie has appeared in four of Kate Atkinson's novels. Each can be read in isolation, but are best enjoyed in order of publication: Case Histories, One Good Turn, When Will There Be Good News?, Started Early, Took My Dog."

The 3 shows we have seen are each about 1 of the first 3 books in the series, but for some reason they named the whole series after the first book.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »
Thanks for that info, MaryPage, about the relationship of the series to the books.

jeriron

« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:34 AM »
I watched the last show of "Case Histories" on DVR yesterday. Did I miss something? Did they ever explain about his sister. Now I'm sorry I deleted it because I think I would watch it again. They'll probably show it on the other PBS station. Maybe they plan on making more.

MaryPage

« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2011, 04:56:20 PM »
The first book, the one that is actually titled Case Histories, explains it very well.

He grew up in Yorkshire, where his dad was a coal miner.  He had great parents and a much older brother and sister.  The sister was only a year younger than the older brother, but he, Jackson, was an afterthought, or change of life, or just flat out mistake or something.  Anyway, they lived happily ever after until his mother died.  Then his sister took care of them while working in the town.  The older brother often picked her up at her bus stop.  This one rainy day he did not.  She reached the bus stop near her home after work, but was abducted and raped and murdered and thrown in the canal between there and their home.  I think they said it was on the first anniversary of her death that the older brother could not handle the guilt any longer and he hung himself.  So Jackson was left alone with his dad at something like 12 years of age.  Then his dad died, and he had no other relatives whatsoever.

So he really treasures that one little girl he has.

The film also did not tell us that Binky Rain, the old woman who lived in the house with the huge garden and apple orchard behind the house the Land sisters lived in (there was an alley way between the yards and the yards were fenced, with gates) and it was her place Olivia Land was buried in, oh, and also she had all the cats, well, Binky died and left Jackson about two million POUNDS, so he is Rich.  And he remains rich in the following books.  Seems he was the only one who was always kind to Binky.

jeriron

« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »
MaryPage

Thanks for the explanation. So I didn't miss it because it wasn't told in the movies. And they never caught the killer right? Well with all he's bad things  going on in his live maybe he should be forgiven for some of his personality quirks. Wonder if they'll make anymore.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:51 PM »
Thank you, MaryPage, for letting us know what happened to his sister.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2011, 09:23:36 PM »
I've enjoyed watching all the Case Histories, even if some of them get a little confusing. It's hard to figure out sometime, why they have to include all the sub plots.  In this last one, for instance, did I miss something about the Moores.  Did that little vignette add that much to the story.

I think the brother Francis, who hung himself, is still alive, but lives in a nursing home.  Brodie went to visit him in the show previous.  I wondered at the time if that was his brother, then later in the show Brodie told another character that he had beeen up to visit his brother.

Yes, MaryPage, that Binky business was confusing too.  So Brodie and the Lands and Binky were all neighbors.

I wonder how pleased Kate Atkinson is with the TV adaptations.  It's hard to put a 400-500 page book into a 2 hour TV show, even without time taken for commercials.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2011, 02:12:04 AM »
Good points, Pedln. Yes, it seems that his brother is still alive but seriously brain damaged.

MaryPage

« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2011, 09:02:03 AM »
That was just something they added in the film. Well, at least, in the FIRST book Jackson's brother is dead and buried.  I have the second book, but have not read it yet.  Mebbe they resurrect him in the second book.  The first book was quite final about it, however.  Atkinson went to great pains to explain Brodie's overwhelming love for that little girl by listing all the dead in his life and explaining he had NO living blood relative other than his daughter and that the daughter would appear to be the only child he would ever have. Really;  I did not make this up, nor is it my opinion.  Atkinson wrote it all out in the book

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2011, 06:38:05 PM »
Thanks, MaryPage, for the additional info.

salan

« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2011, 03:12:26 AM »
I enjoyed this program even if it was confusing at times.  I got tired of the constant flash backs of his sister's death.  I got the picture and didn't need to be reminded of it so frequently.  All in all it was still so much better than most of what is now on tv.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2011, 08:46:40 AM »
 I may be totally confused, but I could swear I saw four Case Histories.  There
were the original three,  then a couple of weeks later a fourth one appeared.
No one else had mentioned that one.  Our recorder is set to automatically
tape all first-run shows from Masterpiece Mystery.
  I wish I could tell you the title, but I don't seem to 'file away' that kind of info.
anymore.   I'm sure it will turn up on other stations eventually.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2011, 10:29:13 AM »
Salan, I agree that even when a PBS series isn't completely satisfying, it is much better that 99% of what is on regular stations now.

Babi, since the episodes were 2 hours long on most stations, it looks like some places show them as three episodes but others count each hour as one episode, so there would be six altogether this first season. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748888/episodes

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
I was really disappointed in that series.  Just couldn't get into it at all, and I always look forward to Mystery.  Maybe I should have read the books first.

Babi

« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2011, 08:21:42 AM »
  Perhaps that explains why the last show I saw seemed longer than the
others.  It's really somewhat confusing, since I certainly didn't see six separate
episodes.  Oh, well, they're done...for now, anyway.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

jeriron

« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:15 AM »
I didn't know where to put this bit of news so I put it here.

Downton Abbey
Just as Season 2 of Downton Abbey reaches its conclusion in the U.K., Britain's ITV announced Thursday that it has commissioned a third season of eight episodes.

MaryPage

« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »
Fantastic!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »
Thanks for the info, Jeriron. That should be fun!