New to this site? > Remembrances

In Memory of FairAnna

<< < (4/4)

JoanP:
In Loving Memory

Anna Alexander  
 SeniorLearn Poetry Discussion Leader  and dear Friend

Our Fairanna passed away on June 14, 2011. She will be greatly missed.

can it be? summer is nearly gone?  
the dog days of August are upon us  
and Autumn waits to sing her song
the day light hours are less  
morning arrives a bit later  
and evening comes too soon  
spring green leaves have deepened  
now heavy their darker brow  
throws a dusky shadow  
upon the grass aged lawn
hidden in the dogwood bough
berries of bitter green  
wait the cool of autumn  
to bring forth their scarlet gowns
each day ancient leaves of gold  
whisper their last good-byes  
and flutter to the ground  
there is no joy in their passing  
though I welcome cooler days
nights beneath cold etched stars  
my soul prepares to slumber  
like bulbs beneath the ground  
tentatively it hopes  
in spring it will awaken  
among the verdant grass  
in Eden's hallowed ground  

anna alexander  7/28/01

JoanP:

I printed out all of your comments from June, when Anna passed away, and wrapped them around a single rose.   I thought it was important that the family knew that I was there for all of you.  There were approximately 20 people attending the burial service - nearly all family members.

I wish you could have heard the comments on how much SeniorNet/SeniorLearn had meant to Anna. Her daughter spoke of how Anna had learned to use the computer back when SeniorNet had been part of AOL...how determined she was to learn this new technology.  They went on to say what a godsend her ability to use the computer to communicate with her children and grandchildren as her hearing faded.

It was an uplifting ceremony...one of Anna's poems written in memory of her husband at the time of his death, was read aloud.  Col. Robert Alexander had served in the Air Force during World War II.  When he was buried in Arlington National Cemetery 17 years ago, there was no memorial for the Air Force.  Imagine the pleasant surprise for the family to find that the Air Force memorial built in 2005 can be seen from the grave site.  If you look closely behind the tree to the left, you might be able to see the top of the three steel spires representing the three core values of the Air Force and the bomb burst flight manuever.

Anna's family was all so gracious, so grateful and kind to me for coming - to all of you for being such an important part of Anna's life. Though there were tears, their spirits lifted as they shared many MOM stories and memories afterward.  It will take time, but they seem to share Anna's spirit. Her daughter kept the print-out of your comments, the rose was buried with Anna.  May she rest in peace.

ChazzW:
Sorry to hear of the passing of FairAnna. I remember her as a gentle soul.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version