Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Aging Successfully ~ Aug. 14

(1/12) > >>

BooksAdmin:
Talking Heads #14 - Aging Successfully
"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.
Aging Successfully

Is there a secret to aging successfully,  and what do we mean by "successfully"?

Can we prepare for aging ?  How ?

Do we need to fear retirement as the end of our productive lives ?

Erickson Tribune Articles

What does positive aging mean to you?

Living Words of Wisdom - Chair Yoga Exercises

August 14 - 28

straudetwo:
Welcome to our new discussion on Aging Successfully.  I believe the topic will make for an interesting discussion.  As always, we need your thoughts and opinions and invite you to join.  I am ready, waiting for your company. :)

jane:
I had to smile when I saw "Do we need to fear retirement as the end of our productive lives ?"  For me, the resounding answer is NO!  I worked for 36 years in education, following my college graduation (and for years before that part time through high school and college), and retirement has been wonderful.  It has far exceeded my fondest expectations. 

[Yes, my husband and I planned for our retirement; we didn't somehow wait until we were ready to retire to get our ducks in a row.

JoanP:
Maybe that's the whole secret of your "success," Jane.  Careful planning.
  I've been thinking of the meaning of the "aging successfully."  A flip answer would be - well, we made it this far - so we must have been doing something right.  Of course, that's not the answer.  Planning is necessary to navigate whatever the future holds - but sometimes that's not easy to do.  A crystal ball might help.

straudetwo:
Good morning, and welcome again to our new TH discussion.  
I'm afraid my very first welcoming message yesterday, on opening day, went astray, causing an involuntary delay,  and I would like to express my appreciation to Marcie for putting us on the TH "map".

Thank you for your post, Jane.
Yes, it is indeed prudent to do some careful planning for the retirement years, as I discovered -, a little late.  When my husband died unexpectedly after routine gall bladder surgery at 61, I was woefully unprepared. Of course we learn from such devastating crises.

To maintain a modicum of wellness iso f primary importance. And help is available. Here in Massachusetts we are blessed in this respect. Our Councils on Aging offer a variety of courses and  classes to enhance mobility, among them aerobics for the more agile; chair yoga for the less mobile; Reiki, Tai Chi, crafts, games, trips - providing a social network and forestalling loneliness for those who live alone.
We were not all joggers in our younger years and have become more sedentary as time went on, but according to the maxim of Masterpiece Living's approach is that "it is never too late to improve".  

There's much more to talk about, Thalasso Therapy for one - have you heard of it? -  but firs let me hear from you.
Thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version