Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Aging Successfully ~ Aug. 14

<< < (12/12)

bellemere:
I think it all boils down to health , wealth and friends, doesn't it?
I am also a Massachusetts resident.  We are hopelessly progressive, with universal health care that has , as a benefit,m a plan for those withoy employer gased insurance and not yet eligible for Medicare  As a supplement to Medicare, we have one ofr those probleatic Medicare Advantage plans, acutlly private insurance.  Today we got a notice that our monthly premium has been LOWERED  from 108 a month to  86! nI(t's l9ike ngetting a raise.

I worked full time until age 66; then part time until 71.  I favor raising the age of eligibility by one year as a means of trying to save Medicare for the future, what do you all think?   And what about a pro-rated "means" test for Medicare for those with high incomes?   
Besides insurance, I have a reat primary care doctor, and my local Y, part of the membership paid by Medicare Advantage.  My only proble , and it
s a doozy, is macular degeneration, requiring constant adaptations in daily living - only driving during daytime, velcro dots all over my appliances, and more reliance on a willing husband.  If I am alone some day, i't independent living for me.  Anyone doing that now? 

ANNIE:
Have you ever wondered who else is paying for that Advantage policy?I think its those who stuck with original Medicare and a supplement.  Our bill for the supplement is $700 a month and yours is only $86?  Hmmmm, see what I mean??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version