Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Aging Successfully ~ Aug. 14

<< < (2/12) > >>

pedln:
Aside from some financial planning, if one plans to stay put and not settle down elsewhere, what other kinds of planning are necessary. I decided I could afford it, but other than that, I can't say I really planned for retirement.

I had one thing I really wanted to do, and that was to take the  H & R Block Tax Preparation class, which I did, and I did work part time that first year for them.  After that I decided I did not want to be a scheduled employee in any shape or form, but did do volunteer taxes for AARP for several years.

straudetwo:
pedln,
Based on my experience I believe that it was a mistake for my family not to ever even consider what our later years would be like, let alone plan for any unforeseeable contingencies. It's ironic in my case because I'm not one who is given to  sweep unpleasant things under rugs (though I clearly did).  We plan for and rehearse many important events in our lives, surely it makes sense to get a clear picture of finances, first of all, before it is too late.

Closely related is the question of where we will spend our last years and whether moving to a smaller home might be necessary or expedient. And that will be dictated by individual circumstances.
Several of my friends have moved into independent living facilities where they are comfortable and happy.  After my husband's death I explored that possibility a great length in several locations, near and farther away, but  the housing market no longer favors the seller, and I'm still here.  I love the house which sits on a slight incline and has a view of the pond across the street where my son fished from a boat years ago and skated on in winter.  I cannot complain.  But I do miss traveling ...

salan:
Fortunately my husband and I planned financially for our retirement.  We had a few years of unrestricted travel and "playing around".  Unfortunately, he died suddenly, three years ago, at age 70.  I was 65 and developed back problems in the few short months when I was caring for him.  I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and stenosis of the spine.  I am still mobile, but am very restricted as to what I am physically able to do.  I would like to travel, but find it difficult to manage the airport, and then getting around once I am there.  Any suggestions??  Are there tours for those who are physically restricted?   I do have a walker that I use occasionally.  It has a seat, so I am able to sit and rest my back as needed. 

Sally

Steph:
We were careful planners and enjoyed our retirement. We had an RV and saw so many wonderful things. At least once a year we visited Europe or somewhere else overseas. Then 18 months ago, I lost my husband to a traffic accident. I am still struggling with life alone. I am really just coming to terms with what and how I want. I am buying a second small house for the summers since I live in
Florida and the heat is bothering me. If I did not have two sons living in Florida, I would probably move completely. I also realize I am living in a townhouse that is far to big and three stories of steps is not completely wise.. But I hope in the next year to remedy this.
I go to the gym, lift weights at least once a week and go to Silver Sneakers ( an exercise class for older adults) twice a week. I walk every morning ( or at least normally, the humidity this past week has been horrid.) I belong to several clubs and make sure to participate in a special activity of the club at least once a year. As you can see,, being busy is my mantra. No more RV.. and I guess I will always miss that.. I just could not drive it.

Frybabe:
While I have been putting away for retirement, it isn't enough for me to feel comfortable. Unfortunately, my retirement may be here sooner that I would like. Having been laid off work for one and a half years with only three interviews in that time, I am forced to apply for early SS. Because I do not have a job, I am not allowed to put any money into my IRA.

This is not getting me down, just a little anxious about prices going up while income is going down. In the meantime, I am taking Accounting classes for an Accounting Certificate. Hopefully, this will help me find a job eventually.

Aside from financial stability, I think it is very important to maintain a positive attitude and enjoy what you do have and can do with what you have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version