Author Topic: Bleak House by Charles Dickens - February Book Club Online - PRE-DISCUSSION  (Read 55704 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in

Join our celebration of Charles Dickens' 200th birthday in February.

The discussion of this book will begin on February 15

Bleak House                            
by Charles Dickens

Bleak House is the 10th novel by Charles Dickens, published in twenty monthly installments between March 1852 and September 1853. It is held to be one of Dickens's finest novels, containing one of the most vast, complex and engaging arrays of minor characters and sub-plots in his entire canon. The story is told partly by the novel's heroine, Esther Summerson, and partly by an omniscient narrator.

The story revolves around the mystery of Esther Summerson's mother and it involves a murder story and one of English fiction's earliest detectives, Inspector Bucket.
Most of all, though, the story is about love and how it can cut through human tangles and produce a happy ending.

The house where Dickens lived in 1850, said to have inspired his novel of the same name.  He wrote Oliver Twist in this house.  

DLs:  JoanP, Marcie, PatH, Babi,   JoanK  

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Bleak House by Charles Dickens - February Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:29:06 AM »

After much discussion and several votes, our readers have selected "Bleak House" to mark our celebration of Charles Dickens'  life and work.  This novel is considered his finest masterpiece and we couldn't have chosen a better way to remember him.  "Great Expectations" was close behind and we promise to consider a discussion of this novel in the coming year if there is interest.

Please post below if you intend to be with us for the celebration - beginning on the author's birthday.  Do you know the exact date?  First one to post it, wins the prize.

We're looking forward to hearing from you -

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:57:41 AM »
Joan, I am hoping to join in, although I'm not usually very good at keeping up with these group reads.  First I need to find my copy - so I'm glad we've got a bit of time.

Rosemary

Aberlaine

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:48:41 PM »
Dickens' birthday is on February 7, 1812.  We'll be celebrating the bicentenary of his birth.

Nancy

P.S.  I've downloaded Bleak House to my new Kindle, so I'll be joining you.

Frybabe

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:40:22 PM »
I am going to download a copy of Bleak House shortly. I doubt I will be able to keep up, but I will read the posts. My two accounting classes this semester will be taking quite a lot of my time. (Hurray, the last two).

BTW, this month's Smithsonian cover story is about Dickens.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 10:51:22 PM »
Frybabe, thanks for the info about the Dickens' article in the Smithsonian. There is some info on the magazine's website at http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Going-Mad-for-Charles-Dickens.html

I'll be joining this discussion too!

Babi

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
Congratulations, FRYBABE, on nearing the end of your long trek. We're proud
of you!

Well, I guess it's time to ferret out a copy of Bleak House and start making
notes.  Twenty installments, eh?  That sounds like a fairly good way to read
it, too.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »
Yes, Frybabe, you deserve a lot of credit.

I'm joining in too, though, like Rosemary, I have to find my copy.  I haven't ever read it, bought it when Maryal-Deems told me she thought it Dickens' best book.

EvelynMC

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
I'll be joining you too.  I have to download it to my Kindle.  I have never read it, just watched it on PBS a few years ago.

Evelyn

EvelynMC

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »
I just downloaded Bleak House to my Kindle.  I opted for the "premium" edition with the Table of Contents for 99 cents. 

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »
Isn't this great - to see so many of you gathering here already!  I have a question for you, Evelyn,  and other Kindle owners - when you download a book, do you also get to see the illustrations that accompanied the first installments of the story - and many further editions of the book?  If not, I can include the illustrations from each installment as we go along.

Yes, there are 20 installments...and many characters.  The main character is Esther Summerson - everyone else revolves around her. Babi - do you think it would help if we kept a cast of characters in the heading for quick referral?  If so, should it be alphabetical or - in order of appearance?

Let's take our time with this...Dickens published each installments monthly, leaving his readers on edge until the next one came out.  I'm not proposing that we take an installment a month, but perhaps a  day or more if needed on each?  When we - you feel ready to move on, we can do it.  Let's see how it goes.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
Frybabe, that's a delicious article in the Smithsonian Magazine, isn't it?  Thank you so much for bringing it to our attention.  It gives you some sense of the Dickens celebration going on in England. And Scotland to, Rosemary? Let's do what we can to learn of how they are marking this author, second to Shakespeare in popularity over there...and celebrate along with them.  Our reading and discussing his Bleak House is the centerpiece of our celebration, but we won't begin that until Feb.15.
His actual birthday is Feb. 7, (you win the prize, Aberlaine...first post out on the board!)  Let's gather here - with the rest of the world - as we celebrate his birthday.  We'll start  then with Frybabe's contribution and the Smithsonian article.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »
Joan, i know the BBC is putting on a lot of Dickens for this year, but to be honest I haven't noticed anything about it here in Edinburgh - all we see at the moment is endless stuff about Burns night, yet another opportunity for the supermarkets to try to sell us haggis, whisky, turnips, etc, etc.

I'm really glad you said we can take this slowly, as usually I can't keep up.  I haven't been able to find my paper copy of Bleak House - it must be in the attic in a box - but I managed (with much grief) to download a copy from ManyBooks.  This downloading to Kindle from anything other than Amazon is a nightmare - or maybe it's because I am trying to get it on to the loathsome MacBook?  I don't know why it's so tortuous, but I was just about in tears over it on Sunday night - even Madeleine couldn't do it.  I don't know how I got it in the end.  Oh well - it's there now!  I will have a look and see if it has any illustrations.

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 04:11:38 AM »
Joan - my Kindle version does not have any illustrations.

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 07:36:22 AM »
I have found something about Dickens' connections with Edinburgh - which I must admit I didn't know anything about:

http://www.thescotlandkiltcompany.co.uk/articles/?p=1354

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 08:18:11 AM »
I see I am not the only one who felt like being in Edinbuggh was like being home. It is a feeling I have had no where else that I have traveled.

Babi

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »
JOAN, list of characters would probably be most helpul, at least until we become familiar with them.  Alphabetical usually works best; it's easier to find the one you're looking for.

I very much enjoyed that link, ROSEMARY.  I think a Dickens tartan would be
a great idea. What colors, do you think?  Considering the social issues in so
much of his writing, I would think gray must be one of them.  If not black.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 12:19:59 PM »
Babi - you sound as if you've read the Preface, the opening chapter of Bleak House!   :D  What color is "fog"?  We'll have to add that to the black and gray!  Rosemary, a wonderful site...  I noticed a shop where one can buy Scottish tartan items.  My grandson, with the middle name "MacGregor" has taken a liking to ties.  MacGregor is his paternal grandmother's clan.  His birthday is in March.  I ordered him a MacGregor tartan tie.  Now let's hope it gets here for his party.

And just think, Frybabe, we have someone there to visit the next time we go there...

Babi - I think I've found a good link to the Bleak House characters to include in the heading once we begin.  I also found a chart that indicates which chapters were published with each printed edition.  Chapters I-IV were included in the opening edition.  Not too long...about 45 pages.  Slower reading getting into the story, but it does pick up before the first edition is over.  If you get an early start, please share your observations on how long it's taking you.

I'm not saying aloud how many pages in the book...let's just say, we'll take this very slowly so that we can read other books, and live our lives...as we slowly inch forward.     We won't put any deadline on completion. A rough estimation - 3 months.   Fry?  Hopefully you can fit it into your Accounting schedule...

How does that sound to everyone?  I just read that the celebration of Dickens' birthday is not just for February - but all year long.  We can move right into "Great Expectations" before the year is out,  Hats! :D

Rosemary- not to worry, I've got the 42 plates, the original illustrations from the first edition - and will post them here as we discuss the chapters where they appeared.

EvelynMC

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 04:12:16 PM »
My version of Bleak House says it is unabridged and Illustrated by Hablot "Phiz" Knight Browne.  However the only illustration I have seen so far is the opening page which has a tree in the foreground and a castle-like building in the distance. If there are any other illustrations, I haven't seen them yet.

I think a link to the cast of characters will be very helpful.  Otherwise I personally would never be able to keep them all straight.

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »
That's the illustrated copy, Evelyn - didn't you say you have it on your Kindle?  Illustrated!  Lucky you!  That castle-like building that you see at the start - that's the frontispiece,  an illustration of Bleak House!  Quite dramatic, isn't it?

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »
Just ordered Norton's edition of Bleak House.  Lots of articles recently about him in magazines.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 03:58:58 AM »
Joan - Glad you found that link helpful in more ways than one!  I didn't notice it was a shop until after I had posted the link - I don't get commission - honest!

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
( Oops, I had already posted in the old 'Discussion' site.  I went back and copied
the post for here.)

I have my copy of Bleak House from the library, one with the original 'Phiz'
illustrations, a list of characters, and even a chronology of Dickens' life.  I
don't really see how the latter could be much help in dicussing the book, but
the publishers included it anyway.
  Oh, yes, it also has a short preface in which Dickens briefly defends his depiction of the Court of Chancery. He insists it was every bit as bad as he said!
  I will add here, that JOAN's reference to the fog is to the opening chapter of
Bleak House.  For everyone's encouragement, I would say that all the fog,fog,
fog and the numbing description of the Chancery Court is a short chapter, only about 6 1/2 pages.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 11:45:47 AM »
Babi - the Court of Chancery was improved after Dickens' time, but I would still say that our high courts are grindingly slow and arranged solely for the convenience of the judges.  A while ago, commercial courts were introduced in which - heaven help us - actual appointments could be made for fixed times, to save all these important businessmen from wasting their precious hours.  The rest of the courts still operate on the system by which every case for the day is listed for 10am, so everyone has to turn up then, and most will sit and wait for hours - and often then see the case put off till another day because one has over-run.  You can imagine how much this costs in barristers' fees, etc.  As a trainee solicitor I spent many, many hours sitting around at court waiting for something to happen.  The whole thing revolves around the idea that the judges shouldn't be kept waiting - if anything else worked in this way, there would be a riot.  Imagine going to the dentist and being told that every patient for the day had been listed for 10am, so you might not get to see the dentist till 5pm, if at all.

bluebird24

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »
Bluebird, so happy to have you with us!  Pull up a chair - put on your party hat!
Will add the e-text link to the heading - Guttenberg does a great job - I'm going to check to see if this one  has searchable text.

Babi, Evelyn - yes, the Hablot "Phiz" Knight Browne- those are the originals.  Good!  We'll add them as we go along.  Evelyn, the next illustration appears at the end of Chapter 3 - it's called "The Little Old Lady."

"As a trainee solicitor I spent many, many hours sitting around at court waiting for something to happen." Rosemary, your input here is going to be invaluable. Hope you can stay the course! -

Babi...thanks for clarifying - that there are only six pages describing  foggy Londontowne and the numbing Chancery Court Rosemary has described. :D

kidsal - when you come across articles on Dickens in the coming days, it would be great if you bring the name of the mag, the title of the article here.  We'll try to find links as Frybabe did with the Smithsonian Article...  

rosemarykaye

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 01:52:21 AM »
Hooray!  I spent at least thirty minutes in the attic last night, opening numerous boxes of books - and typically, in the last one I found my Penguin Classics copy of Bleak House, with illustrations.  And I didn't even fall down the hatch...

Rosemary

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 07:47:53 AM »
The January 30 edition of Time has an article on Dickens.

Babi

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 09:17:13 AM »
 ROSEMARY, I remember my Dad once asking "Why is it the thing you're
looking for is in  the last place you look?"  Taking the question seriously,
(I was quite young) I piped up, "Well, because then you stop looking."

I suspect a good many magazines will be carrying articles on Dickens. There
are fairs and lectures and displays popping up everywhere.  All the Dickens museums will be going all out.  From what the Smithsonian said, there is even a Dickens theme park in Chatham. I would be interested to see that. No doubt
instead of Mickey Mouse and Cinderella,  they would have Mr. Micawber and
Little Dorrit.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
Here is a short Time Magazine article that you need not be a subscriber to read: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/01/20/dickens-turns-200-this-year-we-will-blog-his-ten-best-books/

Jonathan

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 01:15:03 PM »
And for those with old National Geographics in the attic, check out the April, 1974 issue. Forty glorious pages of Charles Dickens' England. Including a very sooty, spectral Thames river scene. It's nice to hear that the fog lifts after only six pages. Once, in London, I remember, it stayed for a week. But then bleak is beautiful, when Dickens makes it so.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »
kidsal, Thank you!  I tried to link us to the Time article, but it seems you have to have a subscription in order to read it.  Will keep an eye open for the paper copy.  Again, thank you.

Marcie, how come we can read that Time article and not the one kidsal found?  It's a wonderful article - Radhika Jones rated the 10 best of Dickens'  books.  For certain he'll include Bleak House.  He plans to blog the top ten.   He writes in the article - "
"Check back here on January 26 for the first installment."Well, today is the 26th.  Can anyone find his blog...will it be #1?

OK, I just found an updated announcement -
Starting tomorrow, Jan. 27, we will blog his ten best novels. Why don't you follow along with us
Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/01/26/why-to-read-dickens-now-or-watch-him-on-tv/#ixzz1kc6uznTe

Jonathan...you're a bigger pack rat than I am.  Or is it just National Geographics that you save?  Are you with us?  I hope so.  Surely you have saved a copy of Bleak House somewhere - like Rosemary - in the attic.  Hint - look in the last box first!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
I assume that the Time article kidsal mentions is longer and is a "feature" article. Time only makes some of their articles available to non-subscribers.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »
My library is out of Bleak House, so I'm on hold.  Those of you who have Kindle editions, have you found any that have both table of contents and illustrations? 

I've never read the book, but purchased the DVD collection shortly after the PBS performances four or five years back.  Haven't watched it since then.

The links look interesting.  I was hoping National Geographic might have its April 74 issue on line, but no such luck.  Time Magazine hopefully will arrive as usual on Saturday.

The link below is from a college course on Bleak House that lasted a semester.  (Norton ed. required, Sally). Within the link there is another link to the class blog, and I didn't go all the way back to the beginning, but it appears that one can.

Bleak House Semester Course

Anyway, I'm looking forward to starting, and am hoping I can stay with it.

EvelynMC

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 04:48:59 PM »
Pedlin,

I got my copy at Amazon for my Kindle - I bought the "premier" edition with the Table of Contents and illustrations.  It cost 99 cents.

Evelyn

Jonathan

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
Yes, I have a copy of Bleak House. Like Pat, I bought it after hearing Maryal-Deems' opinion about it. Looking forward with great expectations to reading it along with all of you. Already I've learned to love the fog. If Dickens can make English weather that attractive, what will he do with English law?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 09:31:04 PM »
Thanks Evelyn.  I just got it now.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 07:12:32 AM »
Pedln, Jonathan - that's good news!  So happy you will be able to join us.

That's an interesting link to the college course.  I skimmed through and found a blog associated with it...for after we've completed this ambitious undertaking.  I'll squirrel the link to the blog somewhere safe until then. Thanks!

Babi

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
 ATTRACTIVE??!!, JONATHAN?  I hope you mean entertaining, for Dickens
presents nothing attractive whatsoever about the Law.  :P
 I'm so glad you are going to be with us. I know you'll have a lot to offer the discussion.

JudeS

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »
I too got the Kindle illustrated edition for 99 cents. What a bargain.
What would Dickens think about his 800 page book going for so cheap?
Looking forward to the discussion.