Author Topic: Bleak House by Charles Dickens - February Book Club Online - PRE-DISCUSSION  (Read 55703 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Bleak House by Charles Dickens - February Book Club Online
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2012, 06:53:09 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in

We plan to  begin February 15 with the first installment, Chapters 1-4
Please post  below if you plan to join us!

Bleak House                            
by Charles Dickens

Bleak House is the 10th novel by Charles Dickens, published in twenty monthly installments between March 1852 and September 1853. It is held to be one of Dickens's finest novels, containing one of the most vast, complex and engaging arrays of minor characters and sub-plots in his entire canon. The story is told partly by the novel's heroine, Esther Summerson, and partly by an omniscient narrator.

The story revolves around the mystery of Esther Summerson's mother and it involves a murder story and one of English fiction's earliest detectives, Inspector Bucket.
Most of all, though, the story is about love and how it can cut through human tangles and produce a happy ending.

The house where Dickens lived spent summers with his family, beginning in 1850, is said to have inspired his novel of the same name.  Among others, he wrote David Copperfield in this house.

Installment    Date of publication          Chapters       Discussion dates
 I           March 1852        1-4              Feb.15-19

Bleak House
 "A dreary name," said the Lord Chancellor. "But not a dreary place at present, my lord," said Mr. Kenge.

DLs:  JoanP, Marcie, PatH, Babi,   JoanK  

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »
Oh for heaven's sake!  Frybabe, you have just made this a 4-way tie!  Will someone please take that quiz and score a perfect score?  I mean, how many prizes can we come up with? ;D  Congratulations!  Jonathan, don't feel badly - have you noticed that most of us are silent on how we scored?  :D

A few observations and questions left over from the birthday bash -

- Sally - in a long white Victorian nightgown - and a night cap - that looks a lot like a shower cap...She asks which Dickens character roamed around at night in her night clothes?  

- Barbara guessed my costume - I was wearing that long yellow-ing gown - warning you all not to eat the cake - Miss Havisham from Great Expectations.  I always thought she was one of Dickens most interesting characters.  What is she waiting for all those years?  Does she think her prince will change his mind and come back to her?  Marcie please tell me that you didn't take a slice of that moldy cake  home to your father?!

PatH - we didn't guess you - rough and ready - plenty of money, not living in England...  Hmm, how many of Dickens' novels  were set outside of London, let alone outside the  country?--

Barbara, were you the "mad" little old lady, "regaling folks with stories - who ominously prophesies  Richard's outcome - in Bleak House?

JoanK announced herself - she came as the Lord High Chancellor from Bleak House, sitting in court "with a foggy glory round his head" - his wig.   Those of us who have begun Bleak House  would have guessed this without JoanK identifying her character...

Have you begun the book yet?  Have you noticed the discussion schedule in the heading at the top of this page? We'll begin on the 15th and see how it goes before we put up the rest of the schedule.  We'll try five days per instalment, which is approximately 45 pages every five days.  Please let us know how you are handling this.  If you need more time - or less to read 45 pages, please let us know.

Frybabe

« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »
Didn't Martin Chuzzlewit take place in America (or at least some of it?). I haven't read it.
 Oh, you know what? A Tale of Two Cities, but some of that is in London.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »
Martin Chuzzlewit  sounds more like the rough and tumble of the US - I just looked up MC - "Early sales of the monthly parts were disappointing, compared to previous works, so Dickens changed the plot to send the title character to America.[1] This allowed the author to portray the United States (which he had visited in 1842) satirically as a near wilderness with pockets of civilization filled with deceptive and self-promoting hucksters.

I think you got it the first time, Frybabe...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #164 on: February 09, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »
Yep that is it - the 'mad' Miss Flite - except for the birds - I freak out if there are birds in the house - but I would have fun playing Miss Flite and sometimes wonder if I am just a bit as daffy with a long memory as Miss Flite.

Of course Martin Chuzzlewit - saw the TV Masterpiece Theatre of that one but forget the story - one of them I remember had a women go to America but it could be not a Dickens story.

I am also wondering about Babi's choice of character - the woman in the long Egyptian Cotton orange shift - I was not sure if it was Caddy or not since Babi indicated she did not have a pen to put between her teeth only had ball point pens and computers in her house.

Some how these stories seem like they took place so long ago and yet, not really - Dickens may have been born 200 years ago but the stories are not yet 200 years - I am thinking most of us have family stories of family members who lived in the 1870s - and for sure those of us who enjoy antiques own furniture or crystal or maybe silver from the Victorian period - we are only talking for most of us three generations ago - when you think how life was it brings a chill along with realizing we are just about living as the World's Fair of 1939 depicted life could be. Amazing...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2012, 03:11:29 AM »
Jonathan, I am down there with you - only excuse being that I did do the quiz late last night in half asleep mode.  Real reason for my pathetic score is of course total ignorance  ;D

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2012, 08:12:25 AM »
 I'm wondering if we all stumbled on the same question. It's been
so long since I read Nicholas Nickleby (it wasn't a favorite) that
I couldn't remember the name of the awful owner of the school. That
one was rather obscure, I thought.
 Oh, I won't be wearing the orange cotton sheath to the party, BARB.
I was merely commenting that I didn't have anything appropriate to
the period. I think I have now decided that I will come in housewife
clothes, but hearty, healthy and able to speak my mind. ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »
YES, Babi, I stumbled on the same question.  Are we revealing our characters now, or do I provide more clues?

Babi

« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »
 Oh, I don't know.  It won't be long 'til party time.  I can wait that long to reveal my chosen
character.  I don't appear for a while, anyway.  (I guess that is another clue.)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »
Babi...the birthday party is over - but we can continue to celebrate right up until discussion time on the 15th if you wish. Rosemary - come sit over here with me - and Jonathan.  We're about to add more to our knowledge and appreciation of Dickens's work.

PatH - more clues? Does that mean that you were not dressed as Martin Chuzzlewit?

Let's get BLEAK HOUSE into persepective.   Bleak House was published in 20 instalments between March1852 and September 1853.  We just celebrated his 200th birthday - which means he was 40 years old when it was published.   We're told this was his 10th novel.  Other sources refer to it as his 9th.  Not sure why.  One of his published books was not a novel?  Does anyone know?  But 9 or 10 novels before the age of 40  - and these are not short novellas - as you can tell from Bleak House.  
Where did he learn to write?  What was his educational background?  I think it would be interesting to know these things.  The same questions are asked about Shakespeare's plays  - and his background.

"Somehow these stories seem like they took place so long ago and yet, not really - Dickens may have been born 200 years ago but the stories are not yet 200 years."
  Barbara, do you think the stories don't seem as old as they are because Dickens writes of human shortcomings - and we haven't changed that much - not really?
But the settings - don't you just love to read of the "olden days" - captured for all time in these pages.  Do you think we need to know something about what is going on in London in the mid-nineteenth century?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
Don't think for me it was the characters short comings or values because they seem to ring true much further back in history - for me it is just being aware of things in my home that I cherish that are from the period and realizing that my great grandparents were alive during this time and having found their names and address on the census records as well as having a smattering of information about them.

Here is a photo of London - the Parliament building and the river in 1852 [from Wikipedia]

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
A quick survey tells us that

In 1852:
  • State funeral of duke of Wellington (London)
  • Alexandre Dumas', "Le Dame aux Camelias," premieres in Paris
  • Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" published
  • 1st edition of Peter Roget's Thesaurus published
  • Franklin Pierce elected as president of U.S
  • 2nd French empire established; Louis Napoleon becomes emperor
  • Emma Snodgrass arrested in Boston for wearing pants
  • Great Ormond St. Hospital for Sick Children, London, admits 1st patient
  • The first public bathrooms for men and a separate one on another street for women were opened in London
In 1853:
  • Russian aggression was directed at Turkey which leads to the outbreak of the Crimean War
  • Commodore Matthew Perry reach Japan and sails into Tokyo Bay
  • An outbreak of Cholera in Newcastle and Gateshead as well as in London, where a total of 10,675 people died of the disease. [The following year the outbreak in London was so frightening folks were moving out of the city. Towards the end of the year 1854 a Dr. John Snow traced the source and a pump emptying the sewers and cellars of London was moved at his recommendation and the disease abated.]
  • Britain Death duties were introduced
  • Smallpox vaccination becomes compulsory in Britain
  • The London Zoo opens the first public Aquarium
  • Emigrant ship "Annie Jane" sinks off Scotland, drowning 348
  • Napoleon III marries Eugenie de Montijo
  • Austrian law forbids Jews from owning land
  • Territory of Washington organized after separating from Oregon Territory
  • Harriet Tubman starts Underground Railroad
  • Women's Right's Convention met in NYC

JudeS

« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2012, 06:56:31 PM »
Barb
Thank you for your most interesting lists of events of 1852 &53.
One of the events was the Crimean War.
I will add a few short paragraphs on the war for those, like me,who  know nothing about that event.(until I googled it).
This war between Britain,France and the Ottomsn Empire against the Russians was the first to use railways and Morse Code. Florence Nightinggale and Mary Seacole pioneered modern nursing practices. This was also the first war to be documented by photography and daily news reports from the front.

The war resulted in a total of 595,000 dead. Of these the British Casualties were:
2,755 killed in action
2,019 died of their wounds
16,323 died of disease

France and Britain had declared war on Russia on March 27, 1854.  The Ottoman Empire declared that Russia, not France was the "soverign authority" inthe Holy Land and that Russia was the protector of the Orthodox Christains in the Ottoman Empire..
The poem by Tennyson "The Charge of the Light Brigade", highlighted one of the many mistakes by England and France during this war.
Marx and Engels in 1850 (alonf with other men in the know) predicted this conflict .
Though Dicken's England seems a million miles from this world of war it was brewing under the surface.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »
Some of us who like mystery stories know a little about the Crimean war through the mystery series by Anne Perry which features a woman who had been a nurse in Crimea. Peerry emphasizes the two things you mentioned: the struggle to institute the simplest of nursing reforms (basic hygene: washing hands, covering cess pots) and the amount of needless slaughter that occurred. Similar to our Civil War: the tactics had not adjusted to the use of guns as weapons, and generals would have their troops charging up open terrain and being mowed down.

Frybabe

« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2012, 08:12:48 AM »
This should probably wait until the fifteenth, but I may not remember it by then or be otherwise occupied. I read the preface to Bleak House last night. Much to my amazement, it brought up the subject of spontaneous (human) combustion. I don't know if Larry Arnold lives around here anymore, but he is an international expert on the subject. I loved the inference that the author had hoped the mound of paperwork do the same. At least, that is what I thought it said.

Babi

« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »
 Ah! I believe I was thinking of it more as a house party.  ;)
   My edition has a "Chronology", which lists events in Dickens life, literary context and world
events.  The literary context, ie., what else was being published that year, was much more full
than the other two.  World events, in view of BARB's list, was especially skimpy. All it listed for
those two years was the Crimean War.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »
Babi, I LOVE the idea of an ongoing house-party.  Let's do that!

Thanks Barbara, Jude...for the information on world events at the time Bleak House was published.  Let's try to fill in more?  Barbara, that's a photograph and not a painting of Parliament, right? - Somehow it looks too....clean?  I imagine the buildings grimier - But pictures don't lie.  Maybe they knew to doctor photographs back then?  It looks like a painting - or a pastel sketch, doesn't it?

Frybabe, thanks for bringing up Spontaneous Combustion.   What do we know about it?  Was it an acceptable "cause of death"  back then?  Dickens seems to be saying that, doesn't he?  What is it exactly?  Is it still an acceptable cause of death today?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »
Wow in light of the subject matter in Bleak House I thought this was interesting - "The Iinns of Court School of Law - the ICSL - was founded by the Council of Legal Education in 1852. Before that time the Inns of Court were responsible for the education of young barristers. There was call during the nineteenth century for the education of barristers to be unified and thus the Council of Legal Education was formed and ICSL founded."

OH yes, and the V&A was founded in 1852 - on 12 and a half acres it is the world's largest museum of Decorative Arts.

Frybabe

« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »
JoanP, I know very little about spontaneous human combustion other than it has been occasionally reported and investigated. There is something really weird about a body incinerating without burning anything else. I did read somewhere that Arthur C. Clarke said, when doing his Mysterious Universe TV program, that it was one of the most asked about phenomena. According to Wikipedia, there have been only about 200 reported cases in the last 300 years. The earliest reported was in the 1400's; the latest case was in Ireland last September. The coroner in the Irish case actually listed it as a cause of death; he couldn't find any other explanation.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »
Kings Cross Station was built in 1852

Gas light was first installed at Pall Mall in 1807 and by 1840 was used all over London so our story was taking place when the lamplighter still had a profession.

Since in 1834 Parliament was destroyed by fire the building in the photo that could and probably is an etching or painting would show a very clean new building - after the fire is when the clock tower Big Ben was built as part of Parliament.

During the 1850s is the 11 year career of Roger Fenton considered the most famous photographer of the time - he went to Russia to photograph a suspension bridge ordered by Czar Nickolas I and then was given permission to photograph events from the Crimean War.  Here is a link to one of his photos with Big Ben in the distance.
http://tinyurl.com/7dyqp3h

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2012, 03:17:42 PM »
Great photograph. It was (slightly) foggy that day too. I always associate London fog with the 19th century writers (Dickens and later Conan Doyle). I'll bet that the coal burning of the time made a sort of permanant fog (which may be what we're seeing in that photo). How frequent is London fog now, does anyone know?

Laura

« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
Hi everyone!  I'm jumping in at the last minute!

I have read Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities, and of course know the story of A Christmas Carol, even though I haven't read the book.  Bleak House, along with David Copperfield, are still on my list of Dickens books to be read, so with the 200th anniversary this year and this discussion ready to begin, no time like the present to tackle Bleak House.  I have my B&N classics edition in hand, ready to go.  Talk to you all on Wednesday!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »
WELCOME, LAURA! Pull up a chair and a hot toddy!

JudeS

« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2012, 07:44:18 PM »
JoanK
What is your recipe for a hot toddy?
My mother, who was British,  made it with honey, raw egg yolk, hot milk and a dash of whiskey.Sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon on the top.
When I offered it to friends they yell: "What? Raw egg yolk-no thanks."

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »
 JoanK is serving hot toddies?  Or are they just for special people - like Laura?  Good to have you with us, Laura - Welcome!

We've been putting together a picture of Dickens' London in 1852 - thank you all so much!  I'd forgotten those lamplighters!

My youngest son is living in London right now.  Yesterday he went to the Museum of London to the Dickens' perspective on Dickens' characters.  .  Tomorrow, the 14th, they will be exploring the work and play of children in Dickens' time.  I would love to be there tomorrow for that.

Dickens' children are of great interest to me.  He had 10 children.  He complained often how difficult it was to write - to meet the deadlines for the instalments - with all those kids underfoot.  But he wrote so often of London's orphans.  We'll be meeting three of them in the first installment of Bleak House.   Do you find this puzzling?

ps  Oh no, Jude...raw egg?  Why are they called "hot" toddies?  Maybe the eggs cook in the process of becoming hot?

Frybabe

« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2012, 08:41:05 PM »
I always thought a Hot Toddy was made with hot tea or cider, whiskey, honey and spices. Never heard of one made with milk and egg.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »
Do not know how Jude's mom makes it but I would imagine it is like a good eggnog where the eggs are whipped till they turn off white - add the whites beat to a froth than put all of that in a pot on the stove to heat and just before it becomes a custard take it off and add the whiskey - with eggnog half the cream is mixed in gradually and slowly while the mixture is on the stove and then while still whipping like crazy add the milk and whiskey. along with spices along the way and top it with nutmeg it is a nice rich and considered a healthy drink to get your through.

I'm remembering inb my family it made when there was outside work to be done on cold days and it was apple juice or cider with spices heated with a spoon of butter and then Calvados was added.  I guess that is more like a hot buttered rum only we used everything apple.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2012, 12:10:21 AM »
This is absolutely precious in every sense of the word - here is a site with wonderful photos of Dickens Cottage in Spitalfield. http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/02/07/charles-dickens-at-park-cottage/

This site is about everything Spitalfield and I laughed out loud when I looked at this page with current residents and saw in these photos the 2012 version of Dickens 1852 - all the characters are here - all the shops, pubs,outdoor markets, flowers,canals and even old Victorian graphics of most of the places named in a Dickens novel. Just keep scrolling and scrolling.
http://spitalfieldslife.com/  On the Kingsland Rd

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2012, 12:20:04 AM »
Look this had to be going on during Dickens lifetime since it is the Oldest Ceremony in the World...

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2011/04/19/the-oldest-ceremony-in-the-world/

Babi

« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2012, 08:48:03 AM »
JOANP, I'm not sure but I think that photograph was taken when the buildings were
still fairly new. They really look beautiful, and impressive, without all the later
buildup around them.

JUDE, I've never had a hot toddy, but from something I saw on a 'chef' show, I
believe the hot milk 'cooks' the egg yolk. Perhaps your friends will try it if you
tell them that. FRYBABE, maybe the milk toddy was the children's version. Though I
can't see whiskey being added to that.

Oh, goody, BARB!   Complete with a ghost story from the tower.  Love it!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »
You all have sent me off to recipes.    :D  Doesn't take much to get me thinking of food.

I think Jude's recipe, with the milk, is similar to what my folks called "Tom and Jerries," kind of like a warm eggnog.  Looking at the hot toddy recipes, most seem to call for honey, lemon, water, and booze, and some included tea.

JudeS

« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2012, 02:17:25 PM »
Thank you all for a plethora of Hot Toddy recipes.  We could put out a little pamphlet called "Comforting Drinks for Seniors to Sip" (while reading Dickens.)
In my recipe the milk was heated almost to boiling and mixed in with the honey and yolk while mixing and mixing and mixing so that the yolk doesnt coagulate.  The whiskey or gin is added slowly while still mixing vigorously.

What fun if we were really all in the same room sipping our drinks while reading Dickens aloud.

bellamarie

« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »
JoanP  "Where did he learn to write?  What was his educational background?  I think it would be interesting to know these things.  The same questions are asked about Shakespeare's plays  - and his background."

In the beginning of my nook book there is a section called "The Life and Times of Charles Dickens".  It gives an overview of his life and it points out that due to a father who was not reliable, committed or responsible, Charles had to work to help the family pay their debt.  He was working at the age 12 while his family was in debtor's prison.  It states "He stayed in school until he was fifteen."   There is also a chapter "Childhood and Education" and it says, "Charles' life as a boy was fairly easy for the first ten years of his life.  After leaving Portsmouth, the Dickens family spent a short time in London and then moved to Kent.  Charles attended school in the town of Chatham, was taken to theatrical productions, and spent much time reading.  His imagination was also fueled by a family nursemaid named Mary Weller_she told gruesome stories with dramatic flair which scared young Charles but also thrilled him.  Mrs. Dickens even tried to establish a school, with Charles as her helper doing odd jobs.  That was not a great success and by 1824 John Dickens was over his head in debt and he was sent to Marshalsea Prison. Charles was now twelve years old and had begun working in Warren's Blacking Factory.  The hours there were long- he put in ten hour shifts each day pasting labels on boxes.  Charles lived in Mrs. Roylance's boarding house in Camden Town, London and visited his parents and siblings at Marshalsea on Sundays.  This period of his life would influence him a great deal- having his family in jail and his education cut short...  It wasn't long before the Dicken's family was out of debtor's prison.  Charle's mother wanted her eldest son to remain at Warren's.  Mrs. Dickens felt the family needed his wages to make ends meet.  John Dickens over ruled Elizabeth and enrolled his son at the Wellington House Academy in London.    By furthering his education it is likely that Charles was able to avoid a life of factory work and poverty.  He attended Wellington as a day pupil from 1824-27.

Here is a breakdown of his work background:  

1827 at the age of fifteen he was forced to leave school and went to work as a clerk in the law firm of Charles Molloy.  He did not stay there long and was soon working as a clerk at Ellis and Blackmore, a position he obtained through connections of his mother's.  The work Dickens did at Ellis and Blackmore was not challenging and in fact, Charles did not find the actual field of law interesting.   In 1828 he began freelancing as a court stenographer.  He had mastered shorthand very quickly in preparation for the job.  It was apparent throughout his career that Charles has a quick intelligence and excellent memory.  Dicken's next career move undoubtedly encouraged his interest in public affairs.  He became a shorthand reporter for the news publication the Mirror of Parliment, a London newspaper managed by his uncle, John Henry Barrow.  The newspaper reported on the daily activities of the Houses of Commons and Lords.  Dickens also worked for another paper, the True Sun, in this capacity.  He referred to the House of Commons as being "strong on clowns".  It is apparent in his spare time Dickens took to writing his own works of humorous fiction ans was soon having occasional short stories published.  He was only 21 when his first story "A Dinner at Poplar Walk" was accepted for publication by Monthly Magazine (January 1834)  Dickens continued to write his short stories and sketches while continuing his career in journalism.  By the end of 1834 Charles was living at Furnival's Inn and was working for the newspaper The Morning Chronicle.  

In 1836 Dicken's stories were published as a collection called Sketches by Boz.  The success of the Sketches by Boz led to Dicken's recognition as a profitable author and his acquiring a publisher in London:  Chapman and Hall.  Chapman and Hall wanted Charles to create some stories to go along with some etchings of sporting life created by Robert Seymour.  These stories were to be published in monthly installments and in fact were published in twenty parts, the first appearing on March 31, 1836.  The stories became known as The Pickwick Papers.  The collection of serialized stories was published in book form in 1837.  Dickens proved he was a multi-talented writer- in 1836 he wrote a libretto for The Village Coquettes, a comic opera.  Within weeks Braham had agreed to produce the play.  Still only 23 years old, Dickens was definitely a star on the rise.  Oliver Twist was serialized over two years.  His next two novels:  Nicholas Nickleby and The Old Curiosity Shop, the next Dickens novel, Barnaby Rudge, was published in 1841.  

In January 1842, Charles, not yet thirty years old and now famous on both side of the Atlantic, sailed from Liverpool with is wife Catherine for a trip to North America, Dickens did not write (other than letters) and did not lecture-he and Catherine simply played tourist.  When he returned home, after six months away, Dickens wrote an account of his trip to the United States titled American Notes, published in 1843.  Returned to the United States in 1867-1868 for a lecture tour that was lucrative but overshadowed by his declining health. Dickens next novel Martin Chuzzlewit, a novel that had mixed reviews.  Charles Dickens' next literary endeavor proved to be one of the most enduring and popular of his work- A Christmas Carol.  Although not known as one of his greatest works today, Dombey and Son was Dickens' next book, published from 1846 to 1848.  Following Dombey and Son, Dickens wrote David Copperfield and Bleak House; both considered to be masterpieces, the former considered to be a mix of autobiography and fiction.  Into the 1850's Dickens wrote two novels of strong social commentary:  Hard Times and Llittle Dorrit.  During this time as well, Dickens pulished and edited two magazines (Daily News and Household Words-later called All the Year Round).  Dickens was to write three more complete novels before his death- the highly regarded A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectation, and the somewhat lesser known Our Mutual Friend.  His last novel, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, was unfinished at his death in 1870 but was subsequently published.  How did Dickens intend to end the story?  He left no notes and secret died with him on June 9th, 1870.

Just a little extra info..."He was the father of ten children.  He was a husband who left his wife after twenty four years of marriage and took up with a young actress; this did not win the hearts of Victorian England, but it may not have been widely known.  Dickens' publisher stopped the author from discussing the marriage breakdown publically.

Sorry so lengthy, I think it gives us a really good overview of his literary/business life.

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

marcie

• Administrator
Re: Bleak House by Charles Dickens - February Book Club Online - PRE-DISCUSSION
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »
We've started a new discussion to talk about the instalments. Please go to http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=2888.0

Babi

Re: Bleak House by Charles Dickens - February Book Club Online - PRE-DISCUSSION
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2012, 08:47:56 AM »
 BELLAMARIE, that summary of Dickens life is very revealing. I think we are going
to see it's influences in some characters and situations in "Bleak House". I was
struck by the fact that though Dickens father is described as unreliable and
irresponsible, he nevertheless was the one who insisted on Charles completing his
education.
  I confess that I'm somewhat pleased that "Martin Chuzzlewit" had 'mixed' reviews
since I did not like it, and cannot now remember anything about it.