Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 280763 times)

Gumtree

Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #280 on: May 14, 2010, 04:41:51 AM »

Now Accepting Nominations for September/October Discussion

Note that Book Titles Link to Reviews

Title
Author
Excellent Women                    Pym
Gulliver's Travels                    Swift
Dracula                    Stoker
Zeitoun                    Eggers
LA'S ORCHESTRA SAVES THE WORLD                    Smith

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Frybabe

« Reply #281 on: May 14, 2010, 08:16:44 AM »
I know very, very little about Diego Rivera and nothing about Frida. The same can be said of most artists worldwide who are/were not European or American (and I am sure I missed some of those).

mrssherlock

« Reply #282 on: May 14, 2010, 10:05:07 AM »
There must be demons native to the art gene which, thankfully, has bypassed me.  How many artists have been self-obsessed?  Does this obsession contribute to the expression of the artist's work or is the obsession the result of the effort to continue to achieve?  Genius has always mystified and attracted me.  I think about Lucy, our progenitor, and wonder what was in her genes that lead to a Caravaggio, Mozart, Shakespeare, Socrates? 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »
Would anyone be interested in reading and talking about some folk tales or fairy tales? There are quite a few available online, for example, at http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/folktexts.html

I recently read Carol Goodman's "Arcadia Falls." That and some of her other novels include a thread of folk tales. I'm now reading A.S. Byatt's "Possession" and that features some folk tales too. I loved to read folk stories when I was a child and I think their mythic properties are very interesting.

This is connected to recent posts about the artistic process. I found a site that defines folklore in terms of art and creativity: "Since the 1960's and 70's folklore has been defined as "artistic communication in small groups" (Ben-Amos 1972) or "the study of human creativity in its own context" (Glassie, 1993)
    * “Art” made with an awareness of and a connection to tradition and community
    *Tradition & folklore = dynamic processes connected to community & creativity
http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~mmagouli/folkloreintro.htm

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2010, 12:51:10 PM »
Marcie, I love the idea!  (I love Possession too) for the same reasons - I love the creativity and the imagination that goes into the, the supernatural  qualities of these stories.
I'm not sure I understand what this means though,  "Folklore  - artistic communication in small groups"  Do you?

Can we pursue that here?  We'd need one source, one basic collection, don't you think?  I checked into the links you gave us - but think we'd need a paper copy or collection - there are those who simply cannot read online...

JoanR

« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »
Myths, legends and folktales are one of my favorite areas.  There are so many from every culture and nationality that I thnk you would have a hard time narrowing down for a discussion.  I have the standards such as Bulfinch and Brewer and a great text on Teutonic myth and legend subtitled: An introduction to the Eddas & Sagas, Beowulf and the Nibelungenlied.  There is also here "Celtic Myth and Arthurian Romance.  Best of all are the fairytales - Andersen and Grimm which I treasure.  I believe Andersen wrote most if not all of his tales but they surely had some basis in stories he heard as a child.

Marina Warner has a book out:   "From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers" available in libraries & paperback.  She's good.  Review here:

http://www.amazon.com/Beast-Blonde-Fairy-Tales-Tellers/dp/0374524874/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274380728&sr=1-1

I took a course in American Folk Literature in college (64 years ago! Good Grief!) but my professor specialized in NY State legends.  His book is "Body, Boots & Britches" - amazingly still in print!

Can't imagine how such a huge field - yea, verily, going back into the mists of time - can be encapsulated into a month's discussion.  Would have to pick one specific area.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2010, 03:27:17 PM »
JoanP and JoanR, I do think we'd have to choose a subset...probably based on what's included in a readily available book. We would know that we're not going to be comprehensive.

Thanks for those references, JoanR. Very interesting. That's great that you had the opportunity to take a folk literature course! I would appreciate the opportunity to learn from others interested in this field.

JoanP, there is a little more elaboration of the statement at http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~mmagouli/fldes.htm

Since the 1960s, folklore has been defined as "artistic communication in small groups" (Ben-Amos 1972), meaning folklorists focus upon the relationship of individual creativity to the collective order. Folklorists are equally concerned with aesthetic and expressive aspects of culture and the people and societies that make and respond to creative acts....
The new generation of folklorists recognize the interactions between how an individual tells a story and how the audiences react and interact, and interrelationships between art, architecture and other expressive elements of culture. Folklorists today look at the dynamic relations between the socially given, the traditional, and the creative individual. The field has re-calibrated itself from a focus on the traditional and ready-made, to a focus on the balance of traditional and emergent, socially given and creative. Such synthetic work seeks to better understand the world by recognizing the circular system of individual, group, and expression. Folklorists today have and use theories, but they also strive to maintain an empirical richness in their study, letting the fieldwork, the data, and the people involved direct the big picture as much as possible."

There seem to be various academic perspectives on folklore. It might be something we could talk about a bit as we talk about some stories.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #287 on: May 22, 2010, 08:47:11 AM »
While looking for a central starting off source for discussing fairy tales, I checked my library for the book you mentioned, JoanR -  - Warner's  Beast and the Blonde -  I checked my library and YES, they do have it.  -and Amazon has affordable used copies (NEW on Amazon - $99.00 ;D)

The writeup description sounds quite interesting -

In this scholarly, original, and insightful study, Warner (Alone of Her Sex: The Myth and the Cult of the Virgin Mary, 1983) explores the relationship between fairy tales and their historical and social contexts. She persuasively demonstrates that the teller of the tale-whether a prophesying enchantress luring knights to their doom or the jolly old beldame, Mother Goose-inevitably reflects the prevailing social prejudices for and against women. Warner first traces the "layered character of the traditional narrator" and the interconnections between storytellers and heterodox forms of knowledge. In the second half of the book, Warner takes up a sampling of tales and demonstrates in them such adult themes as the presense of painful rivalry and hatred between women (Cinderella). Finally, she explores the association of blondeness in the heroine with preciousness and desirability. Highly recommended for all readers who wish a deeper understanding of the fairy tales and cultural icons that have shaped us.

Do you think this would appeal to our readers?  It's nearly time to put up a vote for the July and August discussions?  Do you think we should add it to the nominations? 

mrssherlock

« Reply #288 on: May 22, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
Now that does sound interesting.  It suggests a natural pairing, When Everything Changed by Gail Collins  (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/books/review/Bloom-t.html?_r=1)
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

winsummm

« Reply #289 on: May 25, 2010, 12:22:42 PM »
those links are weird. the one about drood in 2009 confused me until i looked at the date.  so what is up for june. . . possession. I think it is not on my kindle...joan-g did you see it?

thimk

winsummm

« Reply #290 on: May 25, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »
am I in the right month now.  the children's story sample awaits me on my home index KINDLE. I had picked it up from one of you I think. But I am halfway through the Larsson trilogy and hooked. discussion of human behavior and the human condition is fun and basic books to bounce off of helps move it along but I can't read in dribblets so will mostly follow the talk without messing it up.   claire
thimk

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: May 25, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
My library also has "From the beast to the blonde: on fairy tales and their tellers" by Marina Warner. I don't know if it contains the text of some fairy tales or just talks about them. We could likely find a number of fairy tales online if it doesn't have them. JoanR, were you proposing the book? I'd be interested to read it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: May 25, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »
mrssherlock, my library currently has 33 holds on "When everything  changed : the amazing journey of American women, from 1960 to the present." Maybe we could consider that book for the future. Have you read it?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #293 on: May 25, 2010, 12:59:13 PM »
OK, I've heard a nomination for "From the Beast to the Blonde" - it's up there in the header...with the review JoanR brought to us.  If we use it as a jumping off source to get into individual fairy tales, I think that would be really interesting!  Claire, I know you can read those tales in "driblets" - we would  discuss them one at a time!  Oh I hope this gets selected.  Nice and light for the summer - and yet eye opening!

mrssherlock

« Reply #294 on: May 25, 2010, 03:41:13 PM »
My library has Warner's book so that's ok.  I had Collins' book but didn't read it before it had to go back, no renewals allowed as there were holds.  There is one copy available, others on hold or checked out, so I've requested it again.
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: May 28, 2010, 01:36:18 PM »
There is a link to the voting poll for July in the heading of this discussion. CLICK HERE TO VOTE UNTIL JUNE 8!

salan

« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2010, 05:19:38 AM »
Upcoming discussion:  Is it just me, or do you think "From beasts to Blondes" will be a difficult book to get a hold of?  My library doesn't have it, & amazon only has a few used copies, unless you want to pay $99.00 for a new one.
Sally

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #297 on: May 31, 2010, 05:26:19 AM »
Bought a used copy from Amazon yesterday -- $11 with shipping.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #298 on: May 31, 2010, 06:52:22 AM »
Sally, several of us checked our libraries and found they did have copies of Marina Warner's Beast.   We thought that the discussion would use the book as a starting off place to examine the fairytales. For those who can't find it at a reasonable price, the fairy tales themselves are readily available and would be fun reading in the light of Warner's research.

Babi

« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2010, 08:26:38 AM »
MARCIE, when I click on the link to the voting box, I just get the 'Survey
Monkey" site inviting me to sign up and create my own survey. No voting
box.  The e-mail bookbytes link did the same thing. 
  Anybody else having a problem?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #300 on: May 31, 2010, 04:44:46 PM »
Babi ...I checked both links in the header and in Marcie's post - each took me to the Survey.  Of course we value your vote and participation in the discussions.  Can you tell which link you clicked - where - and we'll check it again.
Has anyone else experienced what Babi is seeing?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #301 on: May 31, 2010, 09:12:03 PM »
Babi, if you go to the link a SECOND time, you'll get what you describe. I'm not sure why you got that page the first time you went to the poll. There are two questions. If you want to let me know  your first choice of book and (second question), ALL of the books that are listed that you'd like to discuss at some point, I'd be glad to go in the "back door" and cast your vote for you.

Babi

« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2010, 07:52:39 AM »
 MARCIE, I tried the link in your post above, with the same result.  Would
this happen if I've already voted once?  I don't remember doing so, but...
 After all, my daughter and I are currently, uh, ..debating...on whose
version of an incident is correct.   :-\  :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: June 01, 2010, 10:54:08 AM »
Yes, after you vote once, the poll is no longer available to you and the link takes you to the "create a survey of your own" page.

mrssherlock

« Reply #304 on: June 01, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »
Babi:  Maybe you were OBE (overtaken by events), something that happens often in my family.  In fact we're just coming out of an "event" right now.  ;)
Jackie

JoanR

« Reply #305 on: June 01, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »
Jackie - I like your definition of OBE.  It could be used a lot around my house and it's more likely to be awarded than the OBE which is the Order of the British Empire!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrssherlock

« Reply #306 on: June 01, 2010, 06:14:20 PM »
JoanR:  I wish I could claim it but I first saw it in a post here on SeniorLearn or on Seniors & Friends.
Jackie

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »
Ginny,  still no little yellow Amazon box at the bottom of pages. The orange-ish Amazon logosign in the upperleft IS there.

My vote for the new selection was cast last week.

Babi

« Reply #308 on: June 02, 2010, 08:01:09 AM »
JACKIE,...  ???  ::)

JoanR

« Reply #309 on: June 08, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »
Hi!  Methinks today is the last day to vote for our upcoming selection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to find out what it is!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »
Well, the wait is over, JoanR. From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers was a clear winner, followed by Frankenstein and La Lacuna a close third.

Since it is so close to July, we've decided to begin on July 1 with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and then Blonds/Beasts in August to give folks time to locate the book.  More about both of these selections tomorrow!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #311 on: June 11, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
Just opened - a discussion of young Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, which we plan to open on July 1.   Please drop in HERE, and let us know if you are interested in joining us.  
If you've never read it, you are in for many fascinating surprises and an enjoyable discussion.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #312 on: June 29, 2010, 08:55:08 AM »
Have you ever actually read young Mary Shelley's early 19th century novel - Frankenstein?  It's not a long book, but it is a surprisingly good book.  I don't know what I was expecting - but I didn't expect to cry while reading it - but  I did!  The discussion will begin on Thursday, July 1 - you can drop in now and see what's going on -  Frankenstein

Also - just opened - what should be a  really fascinating discussion of
  Fairy Tales and Their Tellers - scheduled to begin August 1.  Even if you can't get your hands on Marina Warner's fantastic "From the Beast to the Blonde" - there will be links t a number of really fascinating links to the tales themselves - showing how they evolved over the ages.

Now, I'm going to remove the old nomination chart - and we will begin to accumulate titles for consideration for September/October discussion.   Let's try to come up with  find some good "meaty" suggestions  for Fall -

To get things going, I think I'll renominate Gulliver's Travels, as I've never read it and am forever running into references to it...and Barbara Pym's "Excellent Women" -

Frybabe

« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
JoanP, Excellent Women seems to be linked to another book.

I don't know how meaty the book is but with Halloween coming, maybe Dracula should have another shot. There certainly is a lot of material out on the net about the real Count and the castle.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #314 on: July 01, 2010, 10:40:56 AM »
A nonfiction anyone?  I just finished an excellent book - ZEITOUN by Dave Eggers - which is the story of a married couple and their ordeal during Hurricane Katrina.  ZEITOUN is the name of the father, who is a Muslim married to an American woman who converted to Islam long before she married.   It is a story written in a suspenseful way bound to keep your interest alive until the very last page.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #315 on: July 01, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
I will make another suggestion while on this site.

LA'S ORCHESTRA SAVES THE WORLD by Alexander McCall Smith; an author many of you are familiar with.  The story takes place in 1939 when Lavender (LA) decides to flee London to escape the bombs and also her shattered marriage.  A delightful slim book that would make a good discussion; marrage, love, war, behavior.  It has it all.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #316 on: July 05, 2010, 10:25:43 AM »
These are great new additions - thank you Ella for descriptions of the two titles you nominated, especially the LA/Orchestra by Adam Smith which some of us may not be familiar with.

Please note too that the titles in the heading are linked to reviews of the suggested books.

Frybabe - Dracula is back - don't know what happened to the link to Excellent Women - it should be fixed now.  An excellent book, Escellent Women.  I hope you can read the review...

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #317 on: July 07, 2010, 04:13:32 AM »
Found this book in my latest Bas Bleu catalog:

An Accomplished Woman, Jude Morgan

Lydia Templeton is a rare woman who eschews convention and declares herself content, even joyful in her unmarried state. After all, she is an accomplished Regency woman approaching 30 who values knowledge and accomplishment. There is no man she wishes to attach herself to after declining her neighbor, the extremely eligible Mr. Durrant, who remains a good friend to her father. Her complacent life is thrown into an uproar when her beloved godmother asks her to accompany her ward, Phoebe Rae, to Bath in pursuit of a marriage match. While in Bath, Lydia forms strong opinions regarding Phoebe’s suitors. Mr. Durrant, who has come to Bath in pursuit of his own marriage, disagrees, and to Lydia’s surprise, nothing goes according to plan. Morgan captures the tone, style, and content of a Jane Austen novel while introducing her own delightful characters, which are sure to please Austenophiles.
Review:  I picked this book up without much hope, having loathed every other Jane-imitator I've tried, but wow. Jude Morgan has not merely written a passable JA imitation, she has written a book that charms in its own right; it rings with wit, while also providing a story line that Regency fans will enjoy. Some of the characters are strongly reminiscent of JA; I recognized Mrs. Eldon and Lady Catherine DeBourgh, as amusing as ever. The heroine has some of the characteristics of both Elizabeth Bennet and Emma Woodhouse, but she is very much distinct from them, no mere faded copy. I highly recommend this to anybody who wants a good Austen-like (as opposed to Austen-rip-off) read.

Aberlaine

« Reply #318 on: July 07, 2010, 06:05:58 AM »
Zeitoun sounds like a fascinating book.  Even if it's not chosen as a discussion book, I'm going to get it and read it myself.  Thanks, Ella, for suggesting it.

Nancy

Frybabe

« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »
Someone brought up favorite scifi writers in another discussion. That got me to thinking. Have either of Bradbury's books, The Martian Chronicles or Fahrenheit 451, been discussed?