Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 280752 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #480 on: April 14, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »

Nominations for  Fall Bookclub Online Discussion-

Post your Nominations now!

Note that book titles are linked to reviews:

The Leopard
 by Guiseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa

Ship of Fools
 by Katherine Anne Porter

Babi

« Reply #481 on: April 23, 2011, 08:35:38 AM »
  JOANP, I've decided I will nominate Ivan Doig's  "Dancing at the Rascal Fair".  It is such a
great book.  There are only two other books by Doig at my local library, and they both
follow the life of a young girl who first appears in 'Rascal Fair'.  
  Here's a review that describes the book...   http://www.enotes.com/dancing-rascal-fair-salem/dancing-rascal-fair
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »
Babi, what a delightful nomination!  I've never read any of Ivan Doig - but as I read through the review of  Dancing at the Rascal Fair - I see I've been missing something special - something quite different, off the beaten track.  He's been writing for 30 years?  I vaguely remember that he wrote for the Washington Post at one time - found this-

My profession as a novelist is to create, not to copy. In an article I wrote for The Washington Post about creating characters, I counted up some 360 characters I had invented in my fiction at that time, and the head count in The Whistling Season must be another fifty or more. I make up these people from file cards, historical photographs, books of lingo, and imagination. So, no, I don’t let the actual and fictional blur together.

I really hope there is interest in this author and this book.  We'll vote for two of the nominated titles and then we'll be set for June and July. 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
Babi, that sounds like a good choice.  Doig has been on my list for a long time, but not for any particular book.  My mother went from two years at a Wisconsin State Teachers College to teach in Montana -- probably right around 1919, 1920.  She met and married my dad there, and my brother was born in Roundup.  I notice that "Dancing .   .   ." is the 2nd volume in a trilogy (1st is English Creek), but it sounds like the books are all stand-alones, but written chronologically.

Babi

« Reply #484 on: April 24, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »
 In this case, PEDLN, I believe the 'trilogy' simply means three books set in Montana, a place
that seems to hold a special niche in Doig's heart.  I would appreciate Montana's beauty, but
not it's winters.  :P  I hope you and JOAN will both get a chance to read Doig soon; you
won't be disappointed.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #485 on: April 27, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
The third place finisher during the last vote was "A Novel Bookstore, by Laurence Cosse  (a woman)
  Translated from the French by Alison Anderson, who also translated Elegance of the Hedgehog.

The plot concerns a bookshop in Paris which sells only ‘good’  books. Two avid readers, who are both disillusioned with the publishing industry and bookshops  ask eight  mostly under-appreciated writers to form a secret committee with each member submitting a list of the best 600 books they’ve ever read.  The plot follows what happens to the new shop and its owners.

I rhink we need to consider it again since it was so close to Major Pettigrew and Clara and Mr. Tiffany last time we voted.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #486 on: April 28, 2011, 07:36:06 AM »
I agree - it sounds really interesting, as does the Ivan Doig, which I have so far singularly failed to find in the library or the charity book shops - but I see it available on Amazon.

Rosemary

salan

« Reply #487 on: April 28, 2011, 06:18:06 PM »
I ordered a used copy of Dancing from Amazon.  Our library has other Doig books, but not Dancing.  I also have a copy of the Lacuna; so I am set if either of these two are selected.  I think I am first in line for Clara and the library has the book, but hasn't processed it yet.  I will call them tomorrow and ask about it.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #488 on: April 29, 2011, 08:14:48 AM »
 JOANP, I thought I remembered someone recommending "Old Filth".  I haven't read it yet, but
it's gotten a lot of praise from readers here.  Anyone remember who introduced that book?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #489 on: April 29, 2011, 01:05:15 PM »
A number of people spoke highly of Old Filfth in the Library, Babi.  Let's add it to the list.  It's not too late.

Here's a review -
Old Filth by Jane Gardam

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #490 on: April 30, 2011, 08:44:58 PM »
Heeere we go!  You need to VOTE for TWO titles as we are voting for Discussions for JUNE and JULY.  CHECK TWO TITLES.

If you are not familiar with the titles, please read the reviews - the titles in the Suggestion Box Heading are linked to reviews.

Important to remember. If you leave without voting, you can't get back in - so read the reviews in the heading before you enter the voting booth.

Babi

« Reply #491 on: May 01, 2011, 07:54:07 AM »
 Made my choices..

Gumtree

« Reply #492 on: May 01, 2011, 11:42:36 AM »
Me too!
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanR

« Reply #493 on: May 01, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »
Ditto!!  Fait accompli!  Alea iacta est!

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #494 on: May 01, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »
Sane here,  voted last night. Wonderful choices.

No matter the outcome, we know an exciting new literary journey lies ahead for the best summer months.

salan

« Reply #495 on: May 01, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
I voted, also!
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #496 on: May 02, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »

Breaking news!   Helen Simonson will return to the Major Pettigrew discussion tomorrow morning - 11 am EDT to respond to our questions.  Hope you can make it!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #497 on: May 03, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »
Oh my - a three way tie.  Spread the word - VOTE!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #498 on: May 03, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »
I have voted, and I must say there were 3 that I found hard to choose between - wonder if they are the same ones?

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #499 on: May 07, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »
I wonder if you narrowed the list to these three, Rosemary?  Because there was a three-way tie,  we'll have a run-off this week to determine which are favored by those who voted for the other titles...

Here we go again~

Three-Way Tie Requires a Run-OFF Vote for   June & July Discussion-
 Until May 6

(Note that book titles are  linked to reviews)  

Dancing at the Rascal Fair
by Ivan Doig

A Novel Bookstore by Laurence Cossé

Old Filth by Jane Gardam

We need to VOTE for TWO titles as we are voting for Discussions for JUNE and JULY. 

The NEW RUN-OFF Ballot Box is now open -
HERE

Gumtree

« Reply #500 on: May 07, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »
Only one of my first choices is in this ballot....

Have voted again.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

serenesheila

« Reply #501 on: May 08, 2011, 02:36:47 PM »
Two of my choices are among these three.  I have voted, again.  I do wish that I knew which two are leading, at this point.

Sheila

salan

« Reply #502 on: May 08, 2011, 07:20:32 PM »
Only one of my choices is on this list.  Hope it makes it.  I voted.

Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #503 on: May 13, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »
Wow!  That was a record-high vote for the upcoming discussions.  All through both votes, OLD FILTH led the pack.  However the second and third place finishers, THE NOVEL BOOKSTORE and DANCING AT THE RASCAL FAIR ran neck and neck until the very last day.  What do you think?  Shall we discuss both of these books in July and August?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #504 on: May 13, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »
Sounds like a winner of a plan to me...

Joy to the world today -  I witnessed the birth of twin fawns in the backyard - hallelujah - they both made it - the second was nip and tuck - she worked hard rolling and licking and nudging it to life. They are hiding behind the Jasmin in their Hidie Hole as Mama goes off to keep them safe.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #505 on: May 13, 2011, 03:48:22 PM »
Barb, how absolutely wonderful.  We once walked up to the fields beyond a house we used to live in in the country; it was evening in summer and the sun was just going down.  We saw a calf that was so newly born that he was still wet and sticky - but standing and feeding.  To see twin deer must be even more special.

I don't mind which books we do, they all sound good to me (have read Old Filth, and it is good).

Rosemary

salan

« Reply #506 on: May 13, 2011, 06:18:09 PM »
Sounds like a plan to me!
Sally

Babi

« Reply #507 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:33 AM »
 Why not?  All three books obviously have stirred interest; it would be a shame to dismiss them.
 Not to mention it takes care of our summer discussions quite handily.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #508 on: May 16, 2011, 01:11:15 PM »
Okay, we're set - we'll begin  with the discussion of Jane Gardman's Old Filth in June.  And then we'll schedule both The Novel Bookstore and Dancing at the Rascal Fair for July and August.  Not sure which we'll do first yet.  This is really a strong summer line-up.

Rosemary, we are really hoping you join in OLD FILTH - even though you've read it before.  Your knowledge of the UK and the British mentality will be a tremendous addition to the discussion.  

If you are thinking of joining us in June - we are starting to gather HERE in June.  Come on over and save a seat!  

rosemarykaye

« Reply #509 on: May 16, 2011, 01:30:13 PM »
Joan - will be happy to join in but - typically - my copy is in storage along with all my summer clothes, all of our camping gear, etc etc...I will, however, see if the Edinburgh libraries have a copy.

I wonder if you could get Jane Gardam to join in as you did Helen Simonson?  Or maybe she gets asked all the time?

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #510 on: May 16, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »
Isn't life simpler with so much stuff in storage, though?  I would love to put  a good portion of all that I've accumulated after living in this house for 35 years!  Too hard to get rid of stuff, but storage is an option...

I have tried to find Jane Gardam's email address.  Unlucky so far, though I have found her agent.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to write to him.  Haven't had that much luck with agents.  When we discussed Anne Tyler's last book, I wrote to her agent and heard nothing back.  About two months later (after the discussion was over),I received a post card from Anne herself, apologizing, telling me that my letter had just been forwarded to her!

But all agents are not alike - and this time I have an email address.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #511 on: May 16, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »
Joan - I have not been able to find her contact details, but here is a link to an interview the BBC did with her - it says it's still "available to listen" but I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00f8mfv

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #512 on: May 17, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »
Rosemary, I just spent 28 minutes listening to the BBC interview with Jane Gardam - it's really very good.   I noticed that the interview took place in 2006, two years after she wrote Old Filth...when Jane Gardam was 78 years old.  Do you know if she has written anything since Old Fllth?

I think it might give away a little too much if one hasn't yet read the book - but will put the link in the OLD FILTH discussion for those who have - and for later.

Please come over to the discussion yourself - I'm sure many will be happy to see you aboard.  Our UK connection.  (Someone who can translate such sentences as - "His shoes shone like conkers."  :D)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #513 on: July 05, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
We're just starting our discussion of A NOVEL BOOKSTORE.  We welcome those of you who voted for the book in your top three as well as those who didn't. I think you'll find it mysterious, witty and entertaining. You'll also find lots of recommendations for other interesting books, nominated by a secret committee who select books for the novel bookstore! Will your tastes match theirs? Will the act of determining "good books" become dangerous? Join us at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=120.0 and find out!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #514 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:02 AM »
Marcie - I would love to read it, but our libraries here in Edinburgh do not have it, and it's quite expensive on Amazon - I keep hoping it will turn up in a charity shop, but no luck so far.

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #515 on: July 07, 2011, 01:56:16 AM »
I'm sorry that you can't find the book, Rosemary. We'd love to have you participate in the discussion.

Frybabe

« Reply #516 on: July 11, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »
For our next round of book discussions, please enter The Leopard by Guiseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa

JoanR

« Reply #517 on: July 11, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »
Great choice!  I'd love to re-read "The Leopard".  It's been years since I read it and I still have my copy.  There was a good movie of it if I remember correctly with Burt Lancaster (?).  I believe that it's on many "must read" lists

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #518 on: July 11, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »
A good one - I read it also years ago and still have a paperback copy - never did see the movie but I do remember it was Burt Lancaster who played the part of the Prince - seems to me one of the themes was the passing of an era - which would be appropriate for today since our current politics, international diplomacy and war as well as advances in science that led to our changing views and has us looking at the world through a different lens than as recently as 20 years ago.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #519 on: July 12, 2011, 02:15:10 AM »
Has anybody seen "The Lion In Winter" - the film that plays a crucial part in the plot of the Louise Penny that I have just finished, "Dead Cold"?  Our library has it, but as you have to pay to get it ou, I just wondered if anyone would recommend it?

Thanks

Rosemary