Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Three Cups of Tea ~ Mortenson ~ Book Club Online ~ Prediscussion

(1/25) > >>

BooksAdmin:

Three Cups of Tea
by
Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin

Three Cups of Tea is an inspirational story of one man's efforts to address poverty, educate girls, and overcome cultural divides.  This book won the 2007 Kiriyama Prize for nonfiction revealing the enormous obstacles inherent in becoming such "family." ~ Bookmarks Magazine

Three Cups of Tea -- Homepage.....
Ignorance -- the Real Enemy.....
Synopsis and Biography......Three Cups of Tea is currently #1 on both
the Washington Post  and the
NY Times  Non-Fiction Best Seller lists.
Discussion Leaders: Andy(ALF43), JoanK & Pedln

ALF43:
"Welcome to SeniorLearn's discussion of the award winning true story Three Cups of Tea, the most extraordinary humanitarian mission of our time.  Greg Mortenson, the co-author of this book  shares his story of how a mountain climb resulted in a humanitarian effort which has resulted in the construction of about 80 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan."

Read with us and discuss your thoughts.  Let us know if you agree with the author who  believes:
"Fighting terrorism is based in fear, but promoting peace is based in hope."

pedln:
The word is out. Every year 200 to 300 names are nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize (and not leaked  for 50 years), but those in the know say that  Greg Mortenson’s book about one man’s effort to build peace, Three Cups of Tea, has officially been nominated for  this prize. What an exciting time to read this book

In a recent Reuters interview, Mortenson explains why he feels it is so important to educate girls.

--- Quote ---"The way to curb population growth is female literacy. When girls learn to read and write in impoverished areas they teach their mothers to do so. When girls learn to read, you will see mothers unfold the newspaper... and ask the girls to read to them. This is the first time women can get accurate information about what is going on in the world."
--- End quote ---

Join us in May as we read and discuss Three Cups of Tea, and if your small grandchildren are nearby, read to them the children’s version of Mortenson’s book, Listen to the Wind.  There is also a young adult version of the same title.

JoanK:
This is going to be really exciting. I've started the book, and had to force myself to put it down. Come and join what I think will be a really GREAT discussion. In a time of worry and anxiety, we need to hear how one person, with nothing but his own strength of purpose,  can spread hope.

PatH:
OK, I'm in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version