Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs  (Read 83106 times)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2013 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2013 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.   

NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us

Foyle's War, Season VII
September 15 -29, three 90 minute episodes

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle is again in pursuit of criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion created by World War II.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Silk
August 25 - September 8, three 120 minute episodes

Two rival barristers, one an idealistic defense lawyer and the other a ruthless prosecutor, compete for the prestigious appointment as Queen's Counsel in three episodes of high-stakes cases in criminal law.

The Lady Vanishes
August 18 - 90 minutes

A young socialite suspects foul play when a young woman inexplicably disappears from a train, in a stylish and suspenseful new adaptation of the classic thriller The Lady Vanishes, based on the 1936 novel, The Wheel Spins, by Ethel Lina White.

Three episodes of ENDEAVOUR reveal the rocky start of Inspector Morse's career in the police force.

In the all-new 2013 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle three cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Down Among the Fearful (June 16), The Ramblin' Boy (June 23), and Intelligent Design (June 30). Guest stars include Peter Davison (Doctor Who) and Edward Fox (Ghandi, Foyle's War).

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

It was kind of muddled, but I did enjoy it nonetheless.  I really like the "Thursday" character.

MaryPage

« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2013, 12:49:30 PM »
I do, too;  I like him a lot.
And yes, the plot seemed very confusing.
I thought the night club singer was very good.  Interesting that the music was not opera in the opening, as it always has been.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
it appears there was a back story that was not made very clear with Fred Thursday and the criminals. Not sure what knowing about his father's death had to do with the story - I would assume it was a way to better understand Morse but I just could not make the connection. And then I was not sure I thought the girl in the house was the one who saw him off on the train and was his sister but that kiss was not meant as a sister kiss but as she said for Morse to do with it what he wanted. I think they packed too much in without ample explanation but a lot of inferences that I am usually good at but this time went over my head.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
I agree, Barb. They tried to pack to much backstory in. I am not sure about the criminals and Thursday's former partner (Carter?) either. I got the impression that either this Carter fellow got mixed up with the criminals and was on the take and/or that the criminals ambushed him and bumped him off. The best I can say about his father is that the relationship was strained and he continued to disapprove of Morse's choice of careers right up to his death leaving unresolved issues and not more chance at reconciliation.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
Now was Fred Thursday in the first "Morse" I don't remember

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
I watched the episode of Endeavour also. I agree with you all that the Fred Thursday character is great. I think that all of the actors are very good. John Thaw's daughter had a bit more of a role in this one than in the past.

I agree also that it seemed that there were some things that came up that we were given hints about but didn't find out until later. Like the "Carter" character. It was a bit confusing.  Carter was a good cop who was killed by the gangsters. Then he was framed. Thursday regrets that he left the area to protect his young family rather than take on the gangsters and clear Carter's name.

Morse did a lot of detective work in this one. And I didn't recall from the "Inspector Morse" series that he was such a good shooter. LOL, it's finally something that the little man in uniform admires about him. I wonder if the part about Fred Thursday mistakenly thinking that Morse is dating his daughter will come back in the next season. I don't think that he would really be that calm believing that Morse took her to that nightclub (especially after he specifically told Morse that it was too dangerous for Morse himself to go there). We leave a seemingly lonely and somewhat depressed Morse at the end. It seems true to his later character.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
Jeanne, I don't remember Thursday from the "Inspector Morse" series. I think he's supposed to be about 20-25 years older than Morse so he probably would be retired.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2013, 01:07:04 PM »
Thursday having that gun in last show.  That would have been his private owned. No one in police carried a gun back then.  Never said why Morse. Got to be a good shooter.  Never did he use one in his show.  There are special branches of UK police now carrying guns?

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
JeanneP, after Morse dropped out of University, he joined the army for a time.  Apparently that is where he learned to shoot.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
Jean

Yes, I had forgotten that.  Now has his army days been mentioned in this current Morse?

MaryPage

« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2013, 09:03:12 PM »
Yes.  It was pointed out that he learned his skill in the army.  I think it was Morse himself who said so.
The girl who kissed him at the train station WAS his sister.  Apparently his half sister, but his sister nonetheless.  He was surprised and commented that their family did not do that (show affection), but she said he looked like he could use a bit of that.  I think it was totally sisterly and not meant to be anything else.  Nice that his sister cares about him.
The gun was Thursday's privately owned.  The episode showed him going to his home and getting it out and putting bullets in it.
And no, Thursday is not a character in the Morse series, but Morse may have referred to him in one or more of the books when talking with Lewis.  I think the writers of this series have tried hard to pick up all the hints possible from the books about Morse's earlier life.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2013, 09:48:37 PM »
MaryPage do you know the author or the name of the series - I have looked and looked and could not find a book on Amazon but meybe it is under another name = please any thing you can share that would help me locate the book I would appreciate it.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »
Colin Dexter was the author.

Wikipedia list:
Last Bus to Woodstock (1975)
Last Seen Wearing (1976)
The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn (1977)
Service of All the Dead (1979)
The Dead of Jericho (1981)
The Riddle of the Third Mile (1983)
The Secret of Annexe 3 (1986)
The Wench is Dead (1989)
The Jewel That Was Ours (1991)
The Way Through the Woods (1992)
The Daughters of Cain (1994)
Death is Now My Neighbour (1996)
The Remorseful Day (1999)

One more if found: Morse's Greatest Mystery

MaryPage

« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2013, 10:01:41 AM »
Thanks, Frybabe.   I do not know who is authoring this Endeavor series.   I do not believe books have been written, but assume only scripts for this series.  I don't really know a thing;  I just watch and enjoy.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
Oh bless you Frybabe - not having the author's name no wonder with that odd collection of titles I could not find anything.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
Today I spent the afternoon watching the DVD "The Shell Seekers" Must be about the 4th time. I love that movie.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2013, 12:13:58 AM »
It looks like Masterpiece Mystery will take a break from regular scheduling for a couple of weeks. This Sunday my PBS station will be showing "Inside Foyle's War," I guess in preparation for season VII of the series which starts in mid September.
 The description says: "A look at how this enormously popular, award-winning Masterpiece/Mystery series has captured loyal fans for over 10 years. The series star DCS Christopher Foyle (Michael Kitchen) is the articulate sleuth in the sharp fedora who solves the intricate crimes penned by Anthony Horowitz. The special feature interviews with the stars of the series and the people behind-the-camera responsible for them, from the writers to the directors and other production team members. Hosted by Len Cariou."

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »
Well tonight I don't have to pick what going to watch on PBS at 8pm.  Can now watch "Unforgettable" PBS is showing Peirot X1. For some reason I just don't like that show. He drives me crazy just the way he is. He plays the part well but not for me.

I have watche 4 hours so far of a very good BBC Police show.  Almost as good as "Morse" its called "Midsummer Murders" I had never heard of it before. Got 4 Disc on this set.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2013, 07:34:31 PM »
Went into my Library and they have the full 20 Sets of this show. Now ordered set. 1,2.3 as the one I watched was No. 9.  I am set for a long time

MaryPage

« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »
Oh! Oh! Oh!
There is a brand new, beyond excellent show on BBC AMERICA called Broadchurch.  Starring DAVID TENNANT.
As far as I am concerned, David Tennant did the best Hamlet I have ever seen.  Yes, he beat Kenneth Branaugh, who I think beat Laurence Olivier.  And he has the MOST adorable Scottish accent and is handsome to boot.  Plus the show is really great.  Try the first show on YouTube or by googling it or on ON DEMAND.  Simply too marvelous.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2013, 08:39:30 PM »
David Tennant. I feel the same way about him.  Broadchurch is bound to be on DVD soon. I don't get to much on TV

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »
Just watch about 15 min of Broadchurch.  Could be a good one. Only wish they would stop tying to have the Detectives looking like Americans.  Hate that unshaved look. Never seen any kind of police over there in UK looking that way.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2013, 10:01:46 PM »
Broadchurch sounds interesting. It starts in my area on August 7.

There is a lot of information, including the premiere episode, at http://www.bbcamerica.com/broadchurch/

MaryPage

« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2013, 07:23:08 AM »
I watched the first episode, and the acting and scenery were superb.  Dislike the language at times, but it is realistic.  I have to use the closed captioning, or I would never understand what they are saying.  They have 4 little runner-up blurbs on ON DEMAND, too;  and I watched all of those.  It blows my mind that they none of them know "who did it."  There will be 8 episodes of this show until it is finished, one each Wednesday night.

jeriron

« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
I watched BROADCHURCH last week. BBC had the pilot on demand before it was on. I really liked it a lot. Though truthfully I find it hard not to like any British police show. :)To me they're so much better then the gun totting American cop shows.

MaryPage

« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »
It is filmed on the coast of the English Channel in Dorset.  David and I drove through that whole area on our way back from a stay in Cornwall back in the summer of 1971.  I remember Lyme Regis particularly.

MaryPage

« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2013, 11:09:35 AM »
Jeanne, I suspect the beard on David Tennant is because he looks too young for the part without it.  This is one of those sexy men who is going to look young forever.  I hate them, at the same time I adore them. 

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2013, 01:09:43 PM »
Would be fine if they  had them with a beard,but that just did not shave for a couple days looks scruffy to me. Unwashed.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2013, 03:49:07 PM »
Remember the English actor, Tristan Farnon in James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small - well David Tennant's wife is the daughter of Peter Davison

MaryPage

« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »
Oh my gosh!  That boy in All Creatures CANNOT be old enough now to have fathered a girl old enough to be married to David Tennant!
There is a very gushing, indeed rave revue of BROADCHURCH in The Washington Post this morning.  The critic seems to have never loved a show as much.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
I didn't realize that Peter Davidson was that old either. Must be years since all creatures G and
Small . Seems short time ago. Where the years go.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2013, 12:13:47 PM »
Sounds like there is going to be a good mystery on Masterpiece on PBS Sunday night "The Lady Vanishes"--looking forward to it.  Glad "raising money" is over for a few months.  :)

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »
FlaJean. It will not be over here. Soon as the univ. starts up again next one .  They do them every 6 weeks and cut in every 3weeks. Not the big one that is all over the US.  Ours is connected to the Univ.   even putting commercial in now. They are doing way to many repeat  shows. Some of the same cooking.gardening.crafts.just done over and over.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2013, 01:08:55 AM »
Here is a little more info about THE LADY VANISHES which will be broadcast tomorrow.

"The Lady Vanishes packs in the suspense and style when Iris Carr, a beautiful young socialite traveling alone, befriends a kindly English middle-aged woman but wakes from a nap to find her missing – and all the strangers surrounding her denying that the woman was ever there at all! This closed-door mystery classic investigates the question of madness and isolation set among increasingly sinister passengers and a train barreling through Europe toward a dangerous and dizzying final destination: the truth.

With a nod to Alfred Hitchcock's 1938 adaptation and a return to the book that started it all (Ethel White's The Wheel Spins), The Lady Vanishes stars Tuppence Middleton (Inspector Lewis, "Down Among the Fearful"), Tom Hughes (Page Eight), Keeley Hawes (Upstairs Downstairs), Gemma Jones (The Duchess of Duke Street), and Alex Jennings (Cranford)."

There is a very short preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/previews/lady-vanishes-preview/

Frybabe

« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2013, 08:32:13 AM »
Whoever suggested Heat of the Sun, thanks. I watched the first episode last night and really like it. The ending ending was a surprise. I do not recall my PBS ever showing this one, but since I worked evenings, I could have just missed it. There was a long period where I wasn't watching much if any PBS.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2013, 08:28:39 PM »
Darn.  I got comfy, ready to watch 2and half of PBS Sunday night shows.  Already they are running Will Pledge week.  Been talking now for 20 minutes wanting funds .  Only 5 weeks since pledging was on.  Will ruin tonight's shows.
" Foyles War " must be coming back in Sept.  season 7

They are still talking...

MaryPage

« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2013, 07:38:28 AM »

Well, bottom line is they cannot operate without contributions from the Public, their being Public and not commercial operations.  They are forced to really plead for them.
I watched The Lady Vanishes last night, and found they changed the script considerably.  Still, it was so much fun to see so very many well known actors playing the parts.  What with that and the train itself, it reminded me so much of Murder On The Orient Express for overall tone.
Upstairs Downstairs’ Keeley Hawes, MI-5’s Gemma Jones, Silk’s Tom Hughes and Doc Martin’s Stephanie Cole and Selina Cadell are all part of the all-star cast.

jeriron

« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
PBS has pledge week here so they are showing "the Lady Vanishes"  next week at 7 and then are starting "Silk" right after.

Frybabe

« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »
I did some serious TV program watching last night: two Heat of the Sun episodes, one The Last Detective episode, and The Lady Vanishes.

Of the three I liked Heat of the Sun far better than the rest. The Last Detective episode was better than the first; it is gradually growing on me. As for The Lady Vanishes, the main character just wasn't convincing to me. The best of the lot were the Dr. and the professor. Perhaps it was the direction. The whole thing seemed superficial; the characters, for the most part, lacked depth. It did not pull me into the story. I haven't seen the Hitchcock movie or read the book, so I really have nothing to compare it to.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »
I was disappointed in The Vanishing Lady.  I don't think it was up to the usual British standard of excellence.  The background noise was so loud at times I could hardly hear the dialogue.  My husband finally gave up on it and played computer games.  Maybe I should have turned off the sound and turned on CC.

Frybabe, I really enjoyed every Heat of the Sun episode, including a good ending.