Author Topic: Persuasion by Jane Austen ~ October Book Club Online  (Read 33918 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Persuasion by Jane Austen ~ October Book Club Online
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 01:37:50 PM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

October Book Club Online

Persuasion by Jane Austen

“My idea of good company...is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.'
'You are mistaken,' said he gently, 'that is not good company, that is the best.”
― Jane Austen, Persuasion

Come join us for the best company as we read this classic. Here, Austen abandons the young heroines of her earlier works and presents us with a fully mature woman who fears that her chance of happiness has already passed. Austen finished Persuasion just before her death at age 41. It is her last book, and some feel her best.

Discussion schedule:

Oct 1-7--Chapters 1-6

Some things to think about: Chapters 1-6

1. There are two examples in these early pages of Persuasion that changes people's lives. What  do you think of them? Who instigates them? Can you find more examples?

2. Austen is known for her sharp characterizations. Which of the characters in this opening section seem most true to life to you? Which the least? Do you feel you have met any in real life?

3. Anne, the middle child is ignored, put down, and expected to serve the others. Why? Do you feel this reflects anything in Austen's real life? How do you feel about her response to this?

4. How did Captain Wentworth become rich? What is Austen's treatment of the wider events of the day? Does this affect how you feel about the book?

5. Austen often indicates people's character by their manners. What examples can you find here?

6. Anne Elliot goes from the family estate, Kellynch Hall, to her sister's cottage at Uppercross, and the Musgrave house there.  How are the  environments different?  How are the three sisters different?

DLs:   PatH & JoanK  

http://www.early-dance.de/en/whois/289-elegant-arts-society
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 03:14:43 PM »
Here's a funny coincidence - and it is strictly coincidence.  Though Jane Austen did spend some time in Bath, she also visited and attended dances at the Assembly Room in another village on the coast called Lyme Regis. Persuasion is also set in Lyme Regis.  Here comes the funny coincidence.  We selected Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures for the Book Club Online selection here in November.  Where do  you think this story is set? During this same period as Persuasion?

It seems that author Tracy Chevalier channelled Jane Austen as she did Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring.  This is going to be such fun!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
Fascinating and wonderful - what fun to follow up with another story during the same times in a different setting - I thought the story was later but so much more fun to learn that it was at the same time as Jane Austin's stories.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »
It's the same setting, but a slightly later time.  Persuasion takes place during the Napoleonic wars, early 1800s.  Mary Anning, the fossil hunter in Remarkable Creatures, was born in 1799, so was a teenager at the time, though I think she had already started her fossil hunting.  Lyme is the setting for only a small part of Persuasion, but we can imagine Mary Anning as one of the unidentified people on the beach, and we can compare Austen's description to Chevalier's.  It's a total coincidence; no one was thinking of that when we were suggesting books and voting.  I've only read a bit of Remarkable Creatures so far, but I think we'll get a lot of description of Lyme.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
I read an anecdote concerning  a visit Jane made to Lyme Regis in 1803 or 1804.  She would have been in her upper 20's at the time.  She paid a visit to the cabinetmaker in town,  and walked out at the exurbitant price he was asking fora cabinet or a bookcase.  This is exactly what happened when Elizabeth Philpot visited Mary Anning's fathers shop in Tracy Chevalier's story.

Yes, it was a coincidence the two books were chosen back to back in the last vote.  I'm curious.  Did anyone  know?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »
Well I certainly didn't know.  I knew of Mary Anning, but thought of her as being 20 or 30 years later, and didn't remember where on the coast she lived.

As we will see, Austen's description of Lyme in Persuasion show her fondness for the place,

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »
Very possible that Tracy Chevalier wove her fictional tale around the actual Mary Anning', who lived in Lyme Regis 20 years before.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2013, 11:08:22 PM »
Well I sure had no idea - in fact while reading the first bit I thought the time frame for Remarkable...was around the time of Dickens. This is spooky and to think it was two of 6 voted on.

Frybabe

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2013, 08:14:41 AM »
I never thought about where she was fossil hunting either. I mostly assume that most fossil hunting were from Dover north.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »
Well, we should really feel at home in that time and place by the end of these two books.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2013, 08:30:38 PM »
I've put the first week's schedule in the heading.  There are 24 chapters; we'll take the first 6 for October 1-7 and see how it goes.  We may decide to speed up a bit later as we get into it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2013, 02:02:47 PM »
Whew September just flew by and here we are on the eve of October with Jane Austen to fill this month of change in nature.

Found this site that i am really enjoying -

https://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/category/regency-drink/

Frybabe

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »
I am part way into a book about Jane Austen's brothers, both naval officers. I put it aside for a while but will have to get back into it. JA incorporated bits of her brothers' experiences in her writing. I remember one bit, forget which novel it showed up in, that one her brothers presented her with a necklace, bought during his travels. It must have cost much of his monthly pay at the time. The Austen family routinely passed letters from each other and friends back and forth between them. Also, back then, keep in mind that when an enemy ship was captured, the crew were awarded prize money (often a cut of the sale of the ship and goods it held). You know, I don't know when that practice was discontinued.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2013, 03:13:39 PM »
There's fascinating things in that blog, BARB. We definitely have to have elderberry wine at our gathering (hic!). Whether it will increase or decrease the quality of the discussion remains to be seen.

FRY: you chose the right book to red about Jane's naval brothers, as Persuasion is full of naval men.

You anticipated on of my discussion questions, shortly to go up. Yes, Captain Wentworth got rich by capturing the ships of other nations and confiscating their cargo. This practice was one of the things that led to the War of 1812 between England and the U.S. As a Yank, I admit I don't look as favorably on it as Austen did.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
 ;) legalized piracy?!? ::)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Exactly!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »
It was legalized piracy, but it was supposed to have rules.  The British Navy ships could, of course, capture the warships of the country or countries they were at war with, and the ship could be sold, along with any cargo, and the money divided among the crew according to a complicated formula based on rank.  They could also capture merchant ships of a country they were at war with, and dispose of them the same way.  This makes a certain sense, since they were thus depriving their enemy of supplies.

Private individuals could do the same thing, if they had letters of marque and reprisal, issued by their government.  These specified the nationalities of ships that could be taken, and often had other restrictions.

After the Civil War, an international treaty outlawed letters of marque, but we didn't sign it, and Congress still has the power to issue them (it's in the Constitution).  With one possible exception, we don't seem to have used this power since the War of 1812.

The exception is pretty funny.  At the start of WWII, we were short of aircraft on the west coast, and the Goodyear blimp Resolute acted as a privateer, patrolling for submarines.  There seems to be some argument over whether the craft was actually physically issued the letters, but no doubt that they performed the function.

http://constitution.org/mil/lmr/lmr.htm

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM »
I remember one bit, forget which novel it showed up in, that one her brothers presented her with a necklace, bought during his travels.
It was Mansfield Park.  William Price, brother of heroine Fanny Price, gives her an amber cross.  He evidently didn't have enough money to buy a chain for it, and this creates some drama when the suitor Fanny isn't interested in tries to give her one.

Frybabe, what book do you have about Austen's naval brothers?  I have one called Jane Austen and the Navy, by Brian Southam.  Maybe I should pull it out of the TBR pile and actually read it.

Frybabe

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2013, 08:16:56 AM »
what book do you have about Austen's naval brothers?

Jane Austen's Sailor Brothers by J. H. Hubback and Edith C. Hubback, dated 1906. Freebie from Project Gutenberg.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »
Ever since I read the Jane Austen book of manners, I've felt guilty referring to her as Austen or Jane. She would have hated it. The proper address was very important, and even married couples continued to use it.

The oldest sister in the family (Cassandra) would be called Miss Austen. Jane would be called Miss Jane Austen or, in friendly circumstances, miss Jane. Had Cassandra married, then Jane would have become Miss Austen.

So our heroine is Miss Anne Elliot, her older sister Elizabeth being simply Miss Elliot.

Is that as clear as mud? Should we call our author Miss Jane, or continue to be improper? (I've been improper before. No problem.)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »
I live near where the Goodyear blimp moors, and frequently see it overhead So can I say that a pirate frequently passes me by?

I'll be out tomorrow morning, so want to welcome you to the discussion. If any of you are confused by Miss Jane's "Britishisms" or anything else, please ask here: one of us will probably know. We'll spend a week on the beginning to get used to this strange world, and then see if we can go faster.

So, here we go.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2013, 09:43:10 AM »
Well, it's finally time to start.  Here we are, in the elegant, protected world of Kellynch Hall, where the Elliot family is the center of the universe, with a rich assortment of characters.  This is a more sober and reflective book than some of Austen's, not as funny, but every bit as enjoyable.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »
Here's a bit of historical background; it's mostly familiar, but I'll put it in for the sake of completeness.

It's 1814.  England has been at war with France, with only a few short breaks, for over twenty years, and with the United States for two.  The naval part of the fighting was hugely important, and England had a large navy, which had been actively fighting the whole time--a very fortunate time to start a naval career.  Now peace has come.  Napoleon has surrendered and been imprisoned in Elba.  The American war isn't over, but soon will be.  Hordes of naval men have returned to England to try to make a peacetime life for themselves.  Hence Admiral Croft is looking around for a place to live, and Anne fears that Captain Wentworth may soon appear on the scene.

In 1915, Napoleon will escape, but it won't take long to defeat him again, and this will mostly involve land fighting.

Frybabe

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2013, 11:18:53 AM »
Eek! I haven't started reading yet.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
What did Kellynch Hall actually look like?

Here's one person's idea:

http://www.jasa.net.au/houses/kellynch.htm

And here's how it was represented in movies:

http://victoriaconnelly.com/photographs/the-perfect-hero-photographs-2/mapperton-house/

http://www.kellynch.com/

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
Don't worry, Frybabe, you've got time, and it's not very long, though packed with set-up information.  I have a feeling you're not the only one.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »
Now that we understand how Navel Officers became wealthy - Kellynch Hall would be a prize not unlike the taking of the booty from a captured ship.

Looking into this practice I found - Officers and Gentlemen: Gentlemanly Mystique and Military Effectiveness in the Nineteen-Century British Army
by James A. Shaw

A line in this book gave me a new appreciation for Walter Elliot - he seems so full of vanity based on a sow of wealth and status which I am sure his character is projecting however, from what I read it is his character that is as much his downfall as his mus-handling of his wealth. In character he is the opposite of Captain Wentworth.

An aside - I find using the over all quote from our menu above makes what is in the gray area difficult to read - so I am using a dark blue color to distinguish the bits quoted from the book -

These quotes are meant to show a logical progression of thought included in the article that highlights to the difference between these two men and even explains why a returning officer renting his estate would have more status than Walter Elliot.

The British army suffered from its position as a secondary service to the Royal Navy, but it also faced the traditional English aversion to standing armies...

...the continuation of a Western military tradition from Classical times down to the Victorian era as opportunity for military service (and indeed citizenship itself) was based upon wealth and land ownership in Classical Greece. While many British army officers were indeed well-born, wealth from any source encouraged a defense of the political and cultural system that enabled that wealth to be amassed.The citizens of ancient Greece and Rome understood this and their examples were followed by Britain...

...Christopher Duffy writes that “The most pronounced moral traits of the English [in the eighteenth century] were violence and patriotism.” It seems reasonable to argue that both moral traits continued to play a prominent role in the formation of the English character well into the nineteenth century...

...overlooked, is the mark left by war upon the development of British society. The warrior elite who gained control of Britain following the departure of the Romans “evolved into a ruling class that derived political and territorial power from its skill at arms; its carefully cultivated concepts of personal courage, honour and self-respect based on an indifference to danger lay at the heart of chivalry.”  Combined with later Christian virtues and the fruits of Renaissance thought, the result was “ a persistent faith in the peculiar moral qualities of gentlemen which qualified them to command in war.” British success in war and it’s insular geographic location have set it apart from all other nations in Europe, which have “suffered defeat, occupation and calculated humiliation...” British “tenacity and intensity of purpose,” combined with success in war, have led to a high level of national self-esteem, “a vindication of a nation’s collective will and institutions,” and, possibly, hubris.

...Character was the trait that most clearly defined a gentleman, even more than wealth or birth, and it was character that was the most desirable trait in a potential officer. Character separated the elite officers from the lowly, ruffian common soldiery.

...three components of the gentleman ideal, namely the great importance attached to leisure, a particular attitude towards privilege and duty, and the attainment of “magic,” which help to understand the relationship of the nineteenth-century officer...

The gentleman’s pursuit of leisure was a status symbol of sorts in its own right, “signifying that a man could take up pursuits for their own sake rather than toil for bread alone.” One result of this gentlemanly quality was that a career as an army officer was viewed more as a type of hobby than a serious profession.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »
Now it becomes clear why both the current Princes serve in the military. And why they wear their uniform during important ceremonies.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »
Another tid bit that sure enough is spot on.

The expense of obtaining a commission prior to the abolition of purchase ensured that officers would indeed also be gentlemen.

According to an article written about purchasing commissions - Nor did the Royal Navy ever practise the sale of commissions, with advancement in officer ranks being solely by merit (at least in theory).

And so where Wentworth has more character he was not necessarily from wealth and where he as an officer shows a sense of a man of leisure he does not have that practiced as well as Walter Elliot.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
Good morning!  Actually it's afternoon, isn't it?  Where has the day gone already?

It's funny - reading of character and birth - Sir Walter Elliot prized appearance - looks right up there  with  birth, rank and fortune.   Sir Walter values his daughter Elizabeth over Anne - Elizabeth has his looks!  I'd wondered what was the matter with Anne  - why she lost her pretty looks so early.  Are we to conclude she changed, wilted -  after their engagement was broken?   Sir Walter wasn't keen on a marriage between Anne and the young navy man years before because of his poor background.  He'd feel different about him now that his money - or is he still lacking in character, as defined by Sir Walter.

Can anyone me the relationship between Sir Walter and Sir William Elliot?  Cousins of some sort - once removed?:D  Did I understand correctly that Elizabeth is  now unhappy because he married another woman - a wealthy woman.  Would Eliz. Elliot have married Will. Elliot had he asked her?  Or did I misunderstand something?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »
That seems to be the story - not only more wealthy but older and of lessor status -

Just realized from the information about the characteristics of a Gentleman and the sunshine that is placed on looking like a Gentleman of leisure - The issue of Walter's financial collapse is not just an embarrassment and loss of position as a man of leisure but it is an issue of character - he must, as Elizabeth must hang on to their image or their character is in question.

I can see now how until the mid 1980s when it was common, anyone taking Bankruptcy it was their character they believed was in question and why folks still act as if you are less of a gentleman so to speak if you cannot provide for yourself and your family.    

Where it really alters for me is remembering some of Bleak House that we read last Spring I realize now because of the importance of character John Jarndyce was disappointed in Richard Carstone. Richard sacrificed everything and by sacrificing his money he was sacrificing his character to his obsession. And how George Rouncewell has more character than Nemo, who is not just a lost benighted lover but a man who did not measure up in character having lost it with his loss of financial status. How later being employed by Sir Leicester elevated George Rouncewell as a man of character.

That may be why many today are confused because for some there is still an issue of character in husbanding your money and those who were unable to cut it are questionable to receiving public supported assistance. hmmm

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »
JoanP, you've got it right.  Mr. Elliot is listed as "the great-grandson of the second Sir Walter".  We don't know if there are the same number of generations down to Elizabeth, but if so, she would be Mr. Elliot's second cousin.  He is the heir both to the title and the estate, unless Sir Walter remarries and has a son.  Elizabeth threw herself in Mr. Elliot's way, and definitely meant to marry him if she could.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »
aha so you are saying the Hall is lost unless Walter Elliot marries and has a son - Elizabeth has seen the last of her living out her life at Kellynch Hall.

I am only up to the beginning of chapter 3 but does it explain why Anne is so bedraggled in her appearance - all except for these big eyes?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
PAT: those links to Kellynch Hall are all priceless. The first shows how Miss Jane reveals character in a few words of description of Sir Walter and Admiral Croft's different reaction to the Hall:

Admiral Croft on moving in: " Such a number of looking glasses... now I am quite snug, with my little shaving glass in one corner, and another great thing I never go near."

I love the birds on the gate in the second one. I imagine they're supposed to be eagles, but to me they look like rather tired vultures.

The third link is a treasure trove. I need more time to investigate it all.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »
I am only up to the beginning of chapter 3 but does it explain why Anne is so bedraggled in her appearance - all except for these big eyes?
She isn't.  That's one of my few quarrels with an otherwise superb movie.  That third link shows pictures from the 1995 BBC movie, which does a really good job of depicting most of the characters.  But for some reason, they choose to show Anne this way--dowdy, bedraggled, and seemingly unsure of herself.

Anne is NOT that way in the book.  She's described somewhere as an elegant little woman, with every beauty except bloom, and she is very sure of herself in her daily rounds, only getting flustered under the influence of strong emotions.  Amanda Root does a good job of acting Anne, and when they occasionally let her comb her hair, as in elegant scenes in Bath, she looks the part too.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »
PatH I may have used words that were too down trodden however,  reviewing the first chapter about Anne - it says she has "an elegance of mind and sweetness of character" the story goes on to say "A few years before, Anne Elliot had been a very pretty girl, but her bloom had vanished early; and even in its height, her father had found little to admire in her, (so totally different were her delicate features and mild dark eyes from his own), there could be nothing in them, now that she was faded and thin, to excite his esteem.

I can see that some of the description is through the eyes of Sir Walter but the message seems to be, her bloom is gone - that I see as her vitality is in her adept mind and character but, not in her appearance that is faded and she is thin. In another era her thinness and adept mind and character would probably hailed her as another Audrey Hepburn however, rather than walking on air as a ballerina similar to Audrey Hepburn it appears with little to no makeup, wearing the  fashion of the day that did nothing for someone built with few curves and allowing her smarts to shine instead of a beguiling charm, she comes across as dull and rigid, who suggests ruthless cutting to the bone to get out of debt.

Not that Elizabeth appears very beguiling but then no one is this family seems to nurture a beguiling appearance or disposition. Of all of them Lady Russell seems more the beguiling type and later Captain Wentworth does a fair share of looking and acting the beguiling one.

The best explanation I can find is when Lady Russell suggests Anne was not included in the visits to London and noted she had been discredited by the "selfish arrangements which shut her out,". Arrangements that centered on Elizabeth. Maybe that is the reason Anne lost her bloom.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »
Oh, I thought you were referring to the pictures of Anne in one of the links I posted.  Anne is inconsistently described in the book.  Always as having lost her bloom, though.  And definitely elegant.

She lost her bloom after her disappointment in love, followed by a life that didn't offer her much to make up for it.  

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2013, 06:02:09 PM »
Maybe I have not read to where it explains she lost her love - so far I only know of Elizabeth who lost her chance at marriage to the cousin with the same last name.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »
You haven't, if you're still at the end of chapter 3.  You'll find out in chapter 4.

bellamarie

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2013, 11:09:27 AM »
Just finished reading Pride and Prejudice last night, so now I can give my undivided attention to Persuasion.  Can't wait to catch up with all of you.  I won't read any post until I have completed the assigned chapters so there will be NO spoilers for me.  So sorry for lagging behind......

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden