Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Talking Heads ~ Why Is It A Sin To Read For Fun?

(1/15) > >>

BooksAdmin:
Talking Heads #4
"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A two week  forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper articles, online: bring your ideas and let's discuss.
Our Fourth Selection is: 
Why Is It A Sin To Read For Fun?
By Jennie Yabroff | NEWSWEEK
From the magazine issue dated Apr 20, 2009

Rest by Deborah Dewit Marchant
Posted with kind permission of the artist, . All Rights Reserved.

Jodi Picoult makes lots of people love books—but has she become too successful to be taken seriously?

If we remove the assumption that reading is virtuous (a Picoult novel is better for you than a reality TV show), then the good/better hierarchy (Virginia Woolf is better for you than Jodi Picoult) collapses, and books are left to stand on their own merits, not their implied nutritional value. In last year's "The Solitary Vice: Against Reading," writer Mikita Brottman challenges the accepted wisdom that reading is inherently uplifting, arguing that it turns us into antisocial misanthropes who would do better to be out in the world than home with a book. It's an intentionally provocative argument, but equating reading—all reading, from the classics to the tabloids—with pleasure feels radical in this age of government-subsidized municipal book clubs. Maybe if reading wasn't so "good" for us, we'd do more of it." -- Jennie Yabroff
Are some types of books "better" than others? More uplifting, more ennobling? Is reading for pure pleasure shameful? Why are prizes not given to the Stephen Kings and Jodi Picoults?

Do you feel guilty about some of your own reading choices? Which ones? Let's discuss!

Discussion Leader: Ginny

ginny:
Welcome to our popular series Talking Heads, where we talk about current articles in the news or magazines or online. In two weeks we'll be talking about Twitter, but today we're talking about something near to all of our hearts: reading, but not all reading (or is it?)

The article is quite interesting as is the quote from it in navy in the heading here. IS reading inherently virtuous? Better for you than TV? OR does it make solitary misanthropes of us all?

Are some types of books "better" than others? More uplifting, more ennobling? Is reading for pure pleasure shameful? Why are prizes not given to the Stephen Kings and Jodi Picoults?

Do you feel guilty about some of your own reading choices? Which ones? 

Should you feel guilty? Let's discuss!

CallieOK:
Marking a spot.  Will be back.

maryz:
The only reason I read is for fun - fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, travel, newspapers, magazines, whatever!  At least since I got out of school and no longer had teacher-assigned reading.  Why else would you read except for your own pleasure and love of learning?

ALF43:
I think that the majority of us here are eclectic readers.   Personally, I happen to love Jodi Picault because of the way she allows each point of view to be expressed through her various characters.  I also like how she takes a problem of "today" and through a heart wrenching story teaches that there are different perspectives to be considered.

S.  King, I grew weary of a while back. Many times if I am without a book, I'll read anything that is at hand.  Oft times that is pleasure reading- other times I am not so fortunate..  A short story is pleasure reading and reading and sharing ideas about our characters here at SeniorLearn is the best reading of all.

I don't read trash!  I definetly am not a snob nor am I shy or prudish but I just don't get the inane romance novels or a book filled with filthy words.
 Cussing does not bother me but profanity DOES!

I like a story that challenges me to learn; a book that encourages me to research as issue and I love a story that I ,myself,  can not guess the ending.  The main reason I loved Double Bind was because it deluded and bamboozled me.

I also think that what we read is indicative of our moods.  If I am in the mood to meditate, I chose a different variety than one if I am feeling whimsical . 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version