Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 186389 times)

Sian

Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #800 on: August 11, 2018, 03:44:07 PM »
Hi there
 So pleased to have found this site since there are no Latin classes in Swansea nor in the  vicinity any more- the nearest are
 in London 4hrs away!!  Iam 73 and an ex - teacher and can't get enough of Latin and things Roman.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #801 on: August 11, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »
Hi, Sian..Welcome.

You and I have been in correspondence, and I believe you and our Latin Instructor as well.

I hope you will let me know, perhaps via email to me at janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

When the two of you decide on the best placement for you in Latin.

Jane

Frybabe

« Reply #802 on: August 11, 2018, 05:13:15 PM »
Sian, Welcome.

Great to hear from someone in Wales. My Mom was Welsh. I got to visit for a few weeks long ago, but never got back. We have family in Cardiff and probably still have relatives in the Merthyr Tydfill. and Tenby  areas, but we have lost touch. I've been on the Swansea Road but never got into Swansea itself. It is a pleasure to meet you.

Margie

begnolan

I am Barbara Nolan.
« Reply #803 on: August 25, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
Hello all, I am Barbara Nolan currently living in North Fort Myers FL with my wonderful husband Joe, of 27 years and our handsome 9 year old Basset hound, Danny. I decided to try this class, my first online! Latin intrigues me as I am fascinated by words and their origins. I also do editing and proofreading. So here I come! I look forward to this unique experience. Good luck to one and all.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #804 on: August 25, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
Hi, Barbara!  We've been in email contact, and Ginny is looking forward to the classes getting underway.  Let's hope all the hurricanes avoid FL this year.

jane

Irish

« Reply #805 on: August 26, 2018, 01:20:23 AM »
G'day, I'm Jan.  An Aussie, currently living in New Zealand in Cambridge - which is in the North Island.
I work full time and live with my cat Dubhghall  (pronounced Doogal) I have a passion for history, especially Roman and thought Latin would be interesting to study. 
How successful I will be is, I daresay, in the lap of the Gods but I am looking forward to getting started.   :)

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #806 on: August 26, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
And we are pleased to have an Aussie in NZ joining us here!  It still fascinates me that I can "talk" to someone literally half way around the world from me, as I sit here in my dining room in rural Iowa/USA 

I hope your summer.... winter there is going well. 

jane

youetb

« Reply #807 on: August 26, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
Hi Jane and fellow Latin lovers. I'm returning to class after having to drop out last year (long story)  l am looking forward to the year ahead.  I live in Ca and will be in evening class.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #808 on: August 27, 2018, 10:30:07 AM »
Hi,
I will send you an email.  I don't recall seeing your enrollment, so let me double check and get back to you via email.

To enroll for Latin 101, go here, please:   

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XGCL6J2
jane

youetb

« Reply #809 on: August 27, 2018, 03:26:03 PM »
Hi Jane,  yes I enrolled early on and paid with PP. I would repeat 101 as I didn't get fabric   along.  Evening as before.  Thanks again by

JHDemant

« Reply #810 on: September 02, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
Hello all -

A horrible student, I never made it far past high school, but after that difficult start I have been an avid learner ever since (I'm 63 now). I promised myself when I was young that I would take up Latin (and possibly Greek) again "when I am old". Although I do not consider myself old yet I think I cannot postpone that decision to continue with my Latin studies much longer.

I hope that I will be able to stick with the plan and once again enjoy reading the story of Philemon and Baucis in the original!

Jacques

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #811 on: September 02, 2018, 10:23:44 AM »
Hi, Jacques,

Here’s the link to enroll for Latin 101

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XGCL6J2

Enrollment ends tonight, so I’d urge you to do it now.  I’ll send you an email with additional details and urge you to get your textbook ordered now. 

Jane

JHDemant

« Reply #812 on: September 02, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »
Hi Jane,

I enrolled but there was no link to make the payment (PayPal). Will that come in your email? Book is on order.

Jacques

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #813 on: September 02, 2018, 11:32:22 AM »
Thanks, Jacques.  I have your enrollment, and I've emailed you from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com which is our email for all our Latin activities.  Included is a link to our PayPal site:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6837202

Welcome aboard!!

res4015

« Reply #814 on: September 02, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
Hi all, this is Rob Smith in Silver Spring, Maryland.

I'm 56 yoa, living with my spouse and two teenagers (boy/girl twins, 15), a golden retriever and three cats. I'm a retired officer of the U.S. Coast Guard and am now employed as a contractor back with the Coast Guard at Headquarters in Washington, DC. My kids started Latin in high school and I'd like to share some of their experience and maybe learn enough to teach eventually, after I "retire". I like reading about the success SeniorLearn students have had with the National Latin Exams. I'm very happy to have found this group.

jane

• Administrator

Betta2016

« Reply #816 on: September 03, 2018, 04:13:14 PM »
Hi All,  Just confirming my registration in Latin 101 and introduction to Me  ;)  I'm 64 and a retired CPA/Federal auditor after nearly 32 years of service.  I've always loved languages though outside of beginning Spanish in high school I haven't had formal education.  I've been exploring Latin in travels to ancient Roman locations and in prayer and decided I would like to have more than a surface experience.  So hear I am.  I love to learn.  My education has continued throughout my life with undergraduate work starting in my late twenties after my youngest child started school.  I obtained my CPA license about ten years following my B.S. in Accounting.  I completed my M.A. in Public Administration when in my early 50's.  After retiring I started an on-line graduate program in Spiritual Theology that I am continuing with for personal enrichment.  It's wonderful that we have a class of students from many walks of life, distant geographical locations, and varied interests.  Looking forward to getting started  Betta2016
Beneficia!
Betta2016

Glenn

« Reply #817 on: September 03, 2018, 10:03:16 PM »
Hi all, I'm Glenn from Wisconsin. Been retired for several years and am looking forward to beginning Latin. I am a complete beginner. This sounds like the perfect place to be.

marmieone

• +++
« Reply #818 on: September 07, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »
Hello - I am pretty excited to be able to start this class.  I love reading and learning - especially ancient history, biography, and usually have two or three books lying about in case i need a reading fix.  I retired from teaching four years ago, have seven children and eleven grandchildren, and two of my daughters live with me here in Provo, Utah.  I do love birdwatching (one of my daughters suggested the birds should take out restraining orders on me), and gardening in my tiny backyard.  I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of this class and knowing people who are as crazy about Latin as I am.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #819 on: September 07, 2018, 09:33:02 PM »
Hi, Marmieone...
Welcome to our website.  This section of the website mainly has discussions of books.  Our Latin section is open only to enrolled students like yourself.  The link I sent you in email will open on Monday and we’ll be meeting with your classmates. 

Do look down this main menu and join in any book discussions that may be of interest to you.  The Library is a place where people talk about what they’re reading, etc.

Jane

Rebecca

« Reply #820 on: September 10, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »
Good morning!  I am very happy to be a part of this class and have been looking forward to the experience.  I am a church musician and sing latin often.  I would like to be able to translate myself instead of utilizing google. 

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #821 on: September 10, 2018, 09:47:01 AM »
Rebecca...
I'm sorry I confused you.  This is not your Latin class.  Your Latin class is at the link below. 

I sent you another email with specific instructions and screen shots so you know what you're to see.

Check your email and then click on this link below: That is to be your bookmark for your Latin 101-II class and where you want to go each day:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=258.0

Deej

« Reply #822 on: September 10, 2018, 10:01:47 AM »
Hi everyone, I am  Deej  from Ohio I am a beginner  in Latin, started last year and did not finish. I fell off the wagon... due to an offer I couldn't refuse... a free vacation.  My goal is to finish this class. My husband  and I love to travel, earlier this year we  spent 7 weeks in Southeast Asia. Our travels included Philippines, Kuala Lumpur, and Thailand.  We just returned home from visiting our two adorable granddaughters ages 6 and 8 in Texas.

JanRose58

« Reply #823 on: September 10, 2018, 10:07:05 AM »
Hi, I'm Jan.  I'm retired, love languages and making new friends.  This seems like the ideal place to do both!
Very much looking forward to this class, and can't wait for it to begin.
Jan

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #824 on: September 10, 2018, 11:02:53 AM »
Hi, Jan...
Be sure to go into your Latin classroom and check the assignments and post in your class there. Your classmates will be eager to hear from you.

Did you get my email with a link to your class?  Be sure to check your spam folder if you didn't.

The link you want to your class is:

CLICK ON THESE WORDS:  http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=255.0

jane

discovery301

« Reply #825 on: September 10, 2018, 11:34:05 AM »
Hello All.

I am here to learn Latin and hope I am in the correct room.  I am a retired modern language professor, having taught French mostly and occasionally Spanish for all of my career in higher education.  I have taught online courses using Blackboard.  I am currently enrolled in an upper-level Spanish literature class and have an online tutor in Spanish for another course.  I studied French and Spanish in high school and college but never had the opportunity to study Latin so I am looking forward to this class.   A bientôt.  (See you soon)  Dominick

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #826 on: September 10, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
Hi, discovery...
You are welcome to post here, of  course, but I hope you'll find your way over to your Latin classroom area.

I hope you got my Friday email with instructions, but some seem to have gone astray, so I'll email it to you again.

It may have ended up in your spam folder, as some did.

The link you want...and you'll want to bookmark this ...is:

Latin 101-I 

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=255.0

youetb

« Reply #827 on: September 10, 2018, 03:10:12 PM »
Good Monday morning,

I have reviewed the material and checked sound system.  I think I am ready to jump on board the Latin Express.

Thank you Jane

My goal is to begin again, I had to drop out last year.   

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #828 on: September 10, 2018, 04:08:50 PM »
It was good to see you back in the classroom, Youetb.

epeck

« Reply #829 on: September 10, 2018, 05:09:46 PM »
Salve everyone -

I am sure glad to have the opportunity to take this class. I am a retired actuary with an interest in mathematics AND LATIN. Am married with3 grown kids.

Best epeck

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #830 on: September 10, 2018, 06:13:44 PM »
Hi, Ed...

I'm glad you've gotten into the website, and now we need to get you over to the Latin area where you can see the assignments for today and post in the Orientation/Classroom.

Here's the link you need to get to your Latin 101-II area: Just click on the words below

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=258.0

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #831 on: September 10, 2018, 07:45:44 PM »
LATIN STUDENTS....PLEASE click on the link in the emails I've sent you to get into your Latin area.  There are 3 Latin 101 classes this year.  The email from me gives you a link to bookmark to get to your area.

Thanks,

jane

hidaroupe

« Reply #832 on: November 26, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
Jane:
Help! I'm hidaroupe and I've lost the thread to Ginny's fall Latin class in which I am enrolled. Can you steer me back in that direction?
Thank you.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #833 on: November 26, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »
Click on this, Hidaroupe:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=5230.msg353062#msg353062

And email me if you can't get in?

janzures

« Reply #834 on: January 02, 2019, 09:08:26 PM »
Hi, my name is Juan and I live in El Paso, Tx. It has been some time since I wanted to learn Latin, and a few other languages, and I thought now is the time to start. I am glad I found this place to help me start learning Latin. I look forward to learning.

janzures

« Reply #835 on: January 02, 2019, 09:09:54 PM »
Not able to open link.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #836 on: January 03, 2019, 08:51:52 AM »
Hello, Juan, and welcome to SeniorLearn Latin!  The registration will start this summer for the Fall Classes, (we run a regular school year, starting in September) and Jane, our Registrar,  will be in contact with you later on about them.

Our classes, all 15 of them, are only visible to those enrolled,  so that's why that link does not seem to work and  you can't see that particular class, but in the Fall a new vista will be revealed!

We are so glad to have you,  and we look forward to seeing you in September, as the old song goes.

:)

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #837 on: January 05, 2019, 11:46:52 AM »
Juan...I'll be sending you an email from this address:  janeiowaLatin@gmail.com with information about the classes and when registration will open...midsummer, as Ginny said above, for the fall 2019 clases.

jane

dana1028

« Reply #838 on: February 14, 2019, 05:57:25 PM »
New guy - Feb. 14, 2019
40+ yrs later - finishing college, marriage, career, kids and their eventual marriages I am finally returning to my old passion for Bronze Age Greece thru Hellenistic period. I have hauled many of those books around all these years, so have finally pulled many of them out. I was rereading "The Kind Must Die" by Mary Renault and did some side studying on the web; I ran across a reference of this on your website dated May, 2005. That became a WOW - a group that likes ancient history.
Greece, particularly the Bronze Age is my real passion; but I dabble in ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and a growing interest of pre-1066 England, the William period and pre-BC Roman era.

I am simultaneously reading: Mary Renault's, 'The Bull From the Sea'; Caroline Alexander's 'The War That Killed Achilles'; Richmond Lattimore's translation of 'The Iiad of Homer'' with Edith Hamilton's 'The Greek Way' sitting in the pile...and you might as well add 'Wikipedia' & Google Maps to the mix.  I can't read a historical book/novel of any kind without researching the people, places, events, alleged 'facts' as I read and make comments in the margins. That's why I can't borrow any books. Thus it is often a slow process to get through a historical book on 'my list'.

I retired into the Pacific NW onto a working farm,on a small island on the Columbia River with a WA state address. After working way too hard for an old man I go to bed real early and read till 11:00 PM - 2:00 AM nightly. I've spent the last 4 yrs. pruning fruit trees, planting more, building a barn, clearing land, establishing a Large garden, pressing my apples, pears, canning, and the list goes on....keeps me pretty darn busy. But I get unfiltered, organic apple, pear juices all year...dried walnuts off our Black Walnut tree...again, the list goes on. Fresh Air, NO people! Closest neighbor is about 10 acres away. I've been so busy cleaning up, planting and harvesting, etc. I haven't even gone out on the Columbia to fish in the best salmon region on the entire river! I keep saying 'next year.' And of course, my lady, my love, my wife keeps me in line and working like a helot. My next project is to add onto the barn a new kitchen for her, so all our canning will be out by the trees, garden and No mess in our main kitchen any more. Yes, I cook, and can, and press the apples right next to my lady. Harvesting the walnuts is a trip; we only have one giant tree...once it starts dropping we pick up at least one 5 gal. bucket of nuts every 3 days for about 3 weeks. Salsa!! I make my own! 36 qts. every yr. with almost all home-garden grown ingredients. Well - I think I've said more than enough. Since I'm a new guy and maybe a lot of folks will be reading this, I'm wondering if anyone could give me the name of any authors for that early English history period I mentioned [pre-1066 to pre-Roman]. I get burned out after reading months of one subject so I change history periods or subject matter altogether.

nlhome

« Reply #839 on: February 14, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
Welcome Dana, I got hungry reading your message. I am sure there will be many who have author suggestions for you. My historical fiction is usually set in the 20th century, especially WWII. Nan