Author Topic: Author! Author!  (Read 354020 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Author! Author!
« Reply #2320 on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:31 PM »

Welcome to Author! Author!  

This is a game in which the contestants match their wits with a  challenger, who suggests a character in literature, non- fiction or fiction. The challenger may or may not provide more clues, his prerogative,, and never more than one a day.

Once a day the challenger will say if the guesses are correct or not. The winning contestant gets lots of acclaim and the chance to pose the next challenge. If he does not want to post a new challenge he can say so and whoever does can begin a new game.

Of course you could look these up on google in an instant, what challenge is that? The  idea is to rack one's brain to try to remember where this particular character appeared and who wrote about him/ her. Should be great fun.

The challenger also has the option not to mention the name of the character, but only a description.

Authors used so far:

Author, Book, Character, Challenger, Post#, winner

Anonymous, Beowulf, Beowulf, PatH, #1301
Atwood, Margaret, The Blind Assassin, Gumtree, #277
Austen, Jane, Pride and Prejudice, Mary Bennett, #158
Banks, Lynn Reid, The L-Shaped Room, Jane Graham, Rosemarykaye, #1785, unguessed
Baum, L. Frank, The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy, JoanK, #342
Bennett, Alan, Uncommon Reader, Queen Elizabeth II, rosemarykaye, #1605, pedln
Blackmore, Richard, Lorna Doone, Lorna Doone, Frybabe, #462
Bronte, Emily, Wuthering Heights, Heathcliff, Gumtree, #252
Buchan, John, 39 steps, Richard Hannay, PatH, #396
Burns, Olive, Cold Sassy Tree, pedln, #1594, rosemarykaye
Carroll, Louis, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Alice, JoanK, # 426
Cervantes, Don Quijote, Don Quijote, PatH, #701
Chesterton, Gilbert K., The Father Brown books, Father Brown, PatH, #2179, JoanK
Christie, Agatha, Hastings, JoanK, # 127
Christie, Agatha, Death on the Nile, Hercule Poirot, JoanK, #752
Clancy, Tom, Hunt for Red October, Frybabe, #553
Clarke, Arthur C., Rendezvous with Rama, roshanarose, #2064
Clemens, Samuel, see Twain, Mark
Coetzee, J. M., Disgrace, David Little, Straudetwo, #1336
Collins, Wilkie, The Moonstone, Rachel Verinder, PatH, #311
Conrad, Joseph, Heart of Darkness, Marlow, Gumtree, #226
Conroy, Pat, The Great Santini, Conroy's father, JudeS #1319
Cronin, A. J., The Citadel, Andrew Manson, JudeS, #1085
Davies, Robertson, The Cunning Man, Jonathan Hullah,  straudetwo, #1382
Dickens, Charles, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Drood, PatH, #2227, rosemarykaye, #2283, Gumtree
Dostoevsky, Fyodor, Crime and Punishment, Roskolnikov, JudeS, #1209, 1213
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan, Study in Scarlet, Dr. Watson, PatH, #380
Dumas, Alexandre pere, The Three Musketeers, D'Artagnan, PatH, #939, 941
DuMaurier, Daphne, Rebecca, the nameless narrator, Gumtree, straudetwo and rosemarykaye, #1924
Eliot, George, Daniel Deronda, Gumtree, #190
Eliot, T. S., Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats, Bustopher Jones, PatH, #110
Essex, Karen, Leonardo's Swans, Isabella d'Este, Mippy, #591
Faulkner, William, The Sound and the Fury, Caddy, 1429, 1439, Frybabe
Forster, E. M., Passage to India, Frybabe, #2240, rosemarykaye
Galsworthy, John, The Forsyte Saga, Irene, PatH, #615,620
George, Elizabeth, Lynley and Havers, Tomereader1, #168
Gibbon, Edward, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Zenobia, Frybabe, roshanarose, #2003, 2011
Gilbert, W. S., The Savoy Operas, Frederick, or the Pirate King, #1108, 1111, 1112
Goodman, Carol, The Night Villa, the slave girl, Gumtree, # 1165
Grahame, Kenneth, The Wind in the Willows, Mr. Toad, rosemarykaye, #3362, PatH
Greene, Graham, The Third Man, Holly Martins, PatH, ##1175, 1179
Grey, Zane, Riders of the Purple Sage, Frybabe, #294, 299
Hardy, Thomas, Far From the Madding Crowd, roshanarose, #1741, rosemarykaye
Hawthorne, Nathaniel, The Scarlet Letter, Roger Chillingsworth, Frybabe, 2368, 2373, pedln
Henry, O., Mammon and the Archer, Anthony Rockwall, Ginny  #537
Hesse, Herman, The Glass Bead Game, straudetwo, Frybabe, #1962
Hugo, Victor, Les Miserables, JoanK, # 1904, Gumtree
James, Henry, Washington Square, straudetwo, #981, 982
James, Henry, Wings of a Dove, Kidsal, #83
Johnston, George, My Brother Jack, Gumtree, #2311, roshanarose
Keller, Helen, The Story of my Life, Anne Sullivan, JoanK #958
Lagerlof, Selma, The Wonderful Adventures of Nils, Nils Holgersson, JudeS #899
Lahiri, Jhumpa, The Namesake, the boy, Frybabe, #4110, pedln
Lamb, Charles and Mary, Tales From Shakespeare, Macbeth, JoanK, #1301
Lampedusa, Giuseppe di, The Leopard, Don Fabrizio, Gumtree, Frybabe and straudetwo, #2031, 2032
Larson, Erik, Devil in the White City, pedln, #2226, Frybabe
LeFanu, Sheridan, Carmilla, roshanarose, #769
Li, Cunxin, Mao's Last Dancer, Li Cunxin, Gumtree, #1713, roshanarose
Maupin, Armistead, Tales of the City, rosemarykaye, #1553, pedln
McCourt, Frank, Angela's Ashes, Frank McCourt, JoanK, #1062
McCullers, Carson, Member of the Wedding, straudetwo, pedln, #1859
Melville, Herman, Moby-Dick, the whale, PatH, #482
Miller,Arthur, Death of a Salesman, Gumtree, #1005, 1006
Milton, John, Paradise Lost, Frybabe, #413
Mitford, Nancy, roshanarose, #839, 840
Murdoch, Iris, The Sea, the Sea, Charles Arrowby, straudetwo, #1197, 1198
Nabokov, Vladimir, Lolita, Lolita, JudeS, #1124
O’Brian, Patrick, Master and Commander, Jack Aubrey, JudeS, #319
Orwell, George, Frybabe, #97
Ovid, Metamorphosis, Frybabe, roshanarose, #1985
Pearl, Matthew, The Dante Club, pedln, #1629, deems 2
Peterson, Roger Tory, Field guide to the Eastern Birds, Mockingbird, JoanK #202
Potok, Chaim, The Chosen, Danny Saunders, pedln, #1890, JoanK
Potter, Beatrix, Jemima Puddleduck, rosemarykaye, #1478 pedln, #1482 deems2
Plutarch, ----, Themistocles, roshanarose, #1025, 1027
Preston, Douglas, Dinosaurs in the attic, Frybabe, #1456 rosemarykaye
Rand, Ayn, We the Living, Frybabe, #498, 502
Rowling, J. K, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Harry, PatH, #1409
Rhys, Jean, Wide Sargasso Sea, Jane Eyre, straudetwo, #1230
Saint-Exupery, Antoine de, The Little Prince, the Prince, PatH, #2146, rosemarykaye
Saramago, Jose, Blindness, deems 2, #1652, straudetwo
Scott, Sir Walter, Ivanhoe, Ginny, #602
Sewall, Anna, Black Beauty, Frybabe, #1490, Gumtree
Shakespeare, William, Othello, Othello, PatH, #2353, Frybabe, #2355, rosemarykaye
Shelley, Mary, Frankenstein, the monster, PatH, #451
Smith, Alexander McCall, Mma Ramotswe, JudeS, #145
Smith, Alexander McCall, 44Scotland Street, Cyril, rosemarykaye, #1238, 1243
Spark, Muriel, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Miss Brodie, Gumtree, #671, 672
Stead, Christina, The Man Who Loved Children, straudetwo, #1690, Gumtree
Steinbeck , John, Journal of a Novel, Gumtree, #53, 60
Stoker, Bram, Dracula, Jonathan Harker, JudeS, #631, 632
Stone, Irving, Depths of Glory, Camille Pisarro, Gumtree, #802
Thompson, Morton, The Cry and the Covenant, Ignaz Semmelweiss, #2332, PatH, #2338, straudetwo
Tolkien, J. R. R., Lord of the Rings, Frodo, PatH, #238, 241
Tolstoy, Leo, War and Peace, Pierre Bezukhov, PatH, #1267
Trollope, Joanna, The Best of Friends, Sophie, Mippy, #218
Tuchman, Barbara, A Distant Mirror, Frybabe, #2117, straudetwo, #2118, PatH
Twain, Mark, Life on the Mississippi, the author, JoanK, #2192, Frybabe
Tyler, Anne, Digging to America, Maryam Yazdan,Mippy, #735
Urrea, Luis Alberto, The Hummingbird's Daughter, Saint Teresa de Cabora, Frybabe, #1835, straudetwo
Voltaire, Candide, Candide, straudetwo, #1809, Frybabe
Vreeland, Susan, The Forest Lover, Emily Carr, Mippy, #364
Weir, Alison, Innocent Traitor, Lady Jane Gray, roshanrose, #883
Wethers, Beck, Left for Dead, Ginny, #29
Wharton, Edith, The Age of Innocence, Frybabe, rosemarykaye, #2054, Gumtree #2055
Wilde, Oscar, The Importance of Being Earnest, Lady Bracknell, #2131, rosemarykaye
Windsor, Kathleen, Forever Amber, Amber, Traude, #927, 928
Wodehouse, P. G., Bertie Wooster, PatH, #1046, 1048
Wolfe, Tom, The Right Stuff, Chuck Yeager, roshanarose, #2091 Gumtree, #209x Frybabe
Woolf, Virginia, Flush, Gumtree, #1511, 1513, rosemarykaye
Woolf, Virginia, Orlando, Orlando, PatH, #1141
Xenophon, Frybabe, #173
Zola, Emile, Germinal, Etienne Lentier, Gumtree, #1352

Only the latest heading is up to date.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2321 on: September 19, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »
OK, Joan, you brought a lump to my throat with that one.

roshanarose

« Reply #2322 on: September 19, 2011, 10:52:27 PM »
StraudeTwo - No problem.  It just seemed rather uncharacteristic.  Seeing I am the "lucky" winner of the last contest.  Just PatH and I at the end was very disappointing, although PatH is a perfect companion.  We seem to have lost so many players.  My next quiz is more "universal" shall we say.  The author is from the US though  :)  We all put a lot into our quizzes and it seems a waste of brain spaceto have them left.  For example I woke up at 6am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep pondering a book with which we would all be happy.  That is the Libra in me.  The Scorpio in me says Australian Literature is on a par with the UK, the US, NZ and anywhere else for that matter. 

I read this book in the 60s and could not put it down.  Masterfully researched on a topic still current.

Yes.  StraudeTwo - I started reading Rabindranath Tagore's (Bengali) poetry in the 60s too.  I remember I found him in the old Municipal Library in Brisbane City.  I was in a very unhappy marriage with a man prone to domestic violence and had two very small children.  I could find no way out.  Divorce had a whole different set of rules then.  The library was my escape.  My babies seemed to understand their mother's need (and the library's) need for peace.  Tagore was salve for my soul then and I still love reading him,.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

roshanarose

« Reply #2323 on: September 19, 2011, 10:59:16 PM »
Author:  The author is from the US.  Not too broad, I hope  ;)

The character:  is one of those people who has made a difference to the way we live now (literally).

This is in a sense a biography, but fictionalised to some extent.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Gumtree

« Reply #2324 on: September 20, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »
Traude: Thank you. I too enjoy and take the opportunity to learn more about the authors of this world, their lives and their work. Always something new presents itself whether one knows the author or not. I actually prefer it when I have little more than a glimmer of who the author might be as I  so enjoy endeavouring to dredge the answer from the depths of memory - sometimes it's there and sometimes not.

PatH A new grandchild is a joy - congratulations!

Roshanarose I don't think we've lost any players - they come and they go - some come in and post - others just read and only post if they have an idea. It's the same in all the discussion - at least it's what I do.

You're absolutely right about our literature holding its own with that of other countries.  It has it's own intrinsic value to us as Australians but also to readers of other nationalities who may choose to read about our country and its people just as we do theirs. The great pity is that only a few of our writers gain true international acceptance while the work of so many other equally worthwhile authors languishes perhaps for want of greater promotion.

As for the new quiz: as yet I've not a glimmer of an idea to work on.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2325 on: September 20, 2011, 03:04:45 PM »
"The great pity is that only a few of our writers gain true international acceptance while the work of so many other equally worthwhile authors languishes perhaps for want of greater promotion."

I've looked up several Australian authors on Kindle, and they just aaren't there!

roshanarose

« Reply #2326 on: September 21, 2011, 02:38:56 AM »
Gum - Spot On with your assessment.

Author:  The author is from the US.
The book was written in 1949.

The Character : is one of those people who has made a difference to the way we live now (literally).
His academic career included medicine, philosophy and obstetrics.  He obtained his medical degree  and a lectureship in obstetrics in 1844; and as a surgeon in in 1846.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2327 on: September 21, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
Doctor Spock?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2328 on: September 21, 2011, 08:16:55 PM »
This is very frustrating.  I'm sure I know who the character is, but I don't know of any book about him written in 1949.

roshanarose

« Reply #2329 on: September 21, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
Author:  The author is from the US.

The book was written in 1949.

The author was born in 1908. He had occupations including writer and journalist and screenwriter.

He died in 1953 at the age of 45 years old.

The character: is one of those people who has made a difference to the way we live now (literally).

His academic career included medicine, philosophy and obstetrics.  He obtained his medical degree  and a lectureship in obstetrics in 1844; and as a surgeon in in 1846.

The character is European and worked mainly in Vienna, although he was not Viennese.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2330 on: September 22, 2011, 12:14:51 AM »
Well, the character I had in mind, Ignaz Semmelweiss, still fits, but I sure don't know either book or author.

Gumtree

« Reply #2331 on: September 22, 2011, 05:38:55 AM »
It brought Albert Schweitzer to mind but he doesn't fit.

roshanarose

« Reply #2332 on: September 22, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »
PatH - You are a genius.  It is Semelweiss.  Now all you have to do is tell me the author and the name of the book.  Wow - I am impressed.  That search engine sure looks tempting 8)  Looking at my notes it is "Semmelweiss" with two m's.  Not one "m" as I have spelt it.  How did you know the answer?

Frybabe

« Reply #2333 on: September 22, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
Never heard of him. Looked him up on Wikipedia.  Now I know the author and book title, but I never heard of either of those either. The next time I watch 12 Monkeys, I'll have to listen to the reference to Semmelwiess.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2334 on: September 22, 2011, 10:43:02 AM »
How did you know the answer?
I just did.  He popped into my mind as soon as I saw the obstetrics clue, and everything fit.  I admit I then checked the date of his appointment, but that's fair if you're already sure you know the answer.

Semmelweis was a pioneer in antiseptic technique.  He observed that the death rate from childbed fever in his clinic was much higher in patients attended by medical students than those attended by midwives.  By some clever detective work, he concluded that the problem was that the students were bringing something in on their hands from the corpses they autopsied, and by making them wash their hands in bleach, he cut the death rate dramatically.  Nobody knew what a germ was back then, and he had trouble getting his ideas accepted.

I particularly like the clever double meaning in the clue "...made a difference in the way we live now" since he both made a difference in behavior and made a difference in how many people lived.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2335 on: September 22, 2011, 10:45:21 AM »
Someone else is going to have to guess the book, though.  I've read Semmelweiss' story in several places, but can't remember one that fits the clues.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2336 on: September 22, 2011, 10:54:01 AM »
Frybabe, we were posting at the same time.  OK, now I know the book and author too, and I'm glad I looked it up, because I haven't heard of the book or author either.  And I totally don't remember the reference in 12 Monkeys, I'll have to watch for it too.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2337 on: September 22, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
Is anyone going to come up with the book, or am I stuck with the next quiz by default?

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2338 on: September 23, 2011, 01:31:06 AM »
PatH, excellent !! Congratulations.

I believe the author is Morton Thompson, the book is The Cry and he Covenant.

Roshanarose,  a thoughtful quiz, pertinent  clues were given for the character. Still in my time bind,  O regrett not having given enough attention to this quiz.  It really could only have been Ignaz Semmelweis.  And I remember clearly that not so long ago we have discussed him briefly,  although I do not recall where or in what context.

Semmelweis was born  in 1818 in the Buda section of the city of Budapest,  Hungary, at the height of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. ( At the end of WW I, the Empire was abrogated in the Treaty of Versailles.)

Semmelweis went to Vienna, studied medicine  and became an obstetrician, or so we wod call him today.  The German term was "Geburtshelfer" =  birthing helper.  Puerperal fever was rampant at the time, causing the death of thousands of new mothers.  In his work,  S. found that the incidence of puerperal fever was markedly lower when the attending doctors had first washed their hands.  S. became a pioneer forbetter hygiene,  kept statistics  and charts to document his findings, but was hesitant to publish the data.  When he did so in an "Open Letter to the Professors who were Birth Helpers",  they scoffed at the findings,  ridiculed him and then fired him from his clinical post.  Tragically,  as in other such instances before and since,  the  significance of his work was not fully appreciated and lauded until after his premature death in 1865.  
Thanks again.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2339 on: September 23, 2011, 03:17:31 PM »
Who's it?  I was first with the character, but couldn't get the book or author.  Traude got them all.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2340 on: September 23, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »
Traude, I'm willing to be it if you don't want to.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2341 on: September 23, 2011, 07:04:16 PM »
PatH,   Yes, pleaee go ahead.

(I've been granted an extension of time by the library for the return of Berlin 1961, and although I'm behind in the discussion, I'd like
to make the best of the extra week.)

Thank you.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2342 on: September 23, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »
OK, glad to do it.  I think your viewpoint is particularly valuable for the Berlin discussion, and don't want to hinder you.  I'm having trouble keeping up too.  One more week will do it.

roshanarose

« Reply #2343 on: September 24, 2011, 01:00:46 AM »
As I was quite young when I read this, and quite sheltered, I was shocked that such injustice could occur due to the ignorance of so-called learned men.  As I got older Semmelweis's story and others like it became all too familiar.  Tall poppies have been around for thousands of years, but I don't think Semmelweiss is a "tall poppy".  His story is rather that of a man who had the statistics to prove that his theory on the prevention of pueperal fever actually worked, and who wasn't taken seriously because old and so-called proven techniques were preferable to new.

At that time professors and their students strutted around the wards after having visited the dissecting room where they had practised obstetrics using cadavers.  They would examine the pregnant women without hand washing, after their hands had been up to the wrists in cadaverous material.  After the examination the professor would wipe his hands on his pus and blood encrusted waistcoast and continue to the next unfortunate patient.

Semmelweiss knew his statistics and knew that pueperal fever was much less prevalent in many other European countries.  Semmelweiss also noted that women who gave birth directly on arrival at the hospital tended to not die.  The explanation (and advice) regarding childbirth fever given by Dr Klein was :

""Henceforth, Dr Semmelweis, you will regard puerperal fever as an ailment traceable to milk ....

Klein also gave Semmelweis some more advice.  This time he quoted the word of the Emperor of Austria himself, which were spoken when he founded the division.

"Keep yourself to what is old, for that is good.  If our ancestors have proven it to be good, why should we not do as they did?  Mistrust new ideas.  I have no need of learned men.  I need faithful subjects. He who would serve me must do what I command.  He who cannot do this or who comes full of new ideas may go his way.  If he does not.  I shall end him. Do you understand, Dr Semmelweis?

Hippocratic Oath: Classical Version
I swear by Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:

To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art—if they desire to learn it—without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken an oath according to the medical law, but no one else.

I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.

I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.

I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.

Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.

What I may see or hear in the course of the treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep to myself, holding such things shameful to be spoken about.

If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.

—Translation from the Greek by Ludwig Edelstein. From The Hippocratic Oath: Text, Translation, and Interpretation, by Ludwig Edelstein. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press, 1943.

Somehow we still manage to be going backwards in our hospital regarding sepsis.  MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) is rife in public hospitals and many public domains.  I have suffered it and argued with the surgeons to remove the plaster on my leg as the pain underneath was so bad I required morphine.  Finally one day in the hospital bathroom, blackish red blood shot out across the room from under my plaster.  Then they decided to remove the plaster.  The ankle was black and hugely swollen.  When I asked the registrar what was my problem was, ie did it have a name?.  She told me that I had a little bit of "staph".  Similar to being a little bit pregnant, I guess.  As it was I had to have 6 further operations while I was in hospital to purify my blood, and I was also fitted with a blood filter.  I had to stay in hospital for 5 weeks; I couldn't walk for 3 months and had to stay in my upstairs apartment unless I was having screws and new titatium plates adjusted at the hospital.  Happy Days:  All because the strict hospital guidelines that we expect today were not followed.  Often nurses would ask the surgeons to wash their hands only to be ignored.  A dark, terrible experience.  At least the surgeons in Semmelweis' day were ignorant of the cause of sepsis; surgeons today are not.  Big rant, I know.  But this subject is very personal and is happening to others as we speak.

"

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2344 on: September 24, 2011, 10:50:12 PM »
Ok, new quiz:

Author: you've all heard of me

Book: same

Character: my father in law was against me from the start

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2345 on: September 25, 2011, 03:32:58 AM »
Pat - I know this isn't the answer, but the first thing that came to mind was Shrek  ;D

Frybabe

« Reply #2346 on: September 25, 2011, 09:02:27 AM »
Well, I had my laugh of the day already. Thanks, Rosemarykaye!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2347 on: September 25, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »
Hee hee, Rosemary, I love your suggestion, but, as you say, it isn't the answer.

New clues:

Author: You've all heard of me.
    I'm very prolific.

Book: You've all heard of me.
    A tale with issues of faithfulness, trust, and betrayal.

Character: My father in law was against me from the start.
    I've had a colorful and adventurous career.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2348 on: September 26, 2011, 02:57:24 AM »
Is it anything to do with Jeffrey Archer?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2349 on: September 26, 2011, 09:21:17 PM »
Rosemary, it can't be Jeffrey Archer, since I never heard of him until now, although I see he fits the clues.  This author is SO different.

New clues:

Author: You've all heard of me.
    I'm very prolific.
    There's a lot of controversy about my life.

Book: You've all heard of it.
    A tale with issues of faithfulness, trust, and betrayal.
    Has been a success on stage and screen.

Character: My father in law was against me from the start.
    I've had a colorful and adventurous career.
    But I have a fatal flaw.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2350 on: September 27, 2011, 08:55:39 PM »
"But I have a fatal flaw".

Don't we all.  ;)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2351 on: September 28, 2011, 02:37:26 AM »
Lots, in my case... :)

Gumtree

« Reply #2352 on: September 28, 2011, 06:56:55 AM »
Yep plenty of flaws and no idea for the answer to this quiz

Frybabe

« Reply #2353 on: September 28, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Could this possibly be a Shakespeare?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2354 on: September 28, 2011, 09:43:35 AM »
YES, Frybabe, it could indeed be a Shakespeare.  Which one?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2355 on: September 28, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »
Othello?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2356 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »
WINNERS! WINNERS! WINNERS!
[/size]

Frybabe gets the author, Rosemary gets the title (and character).  good job.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2357 on: September 28, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »
Using Othello gives me an excuse to share my favorite quote from it.  Emilia is the wife of Iago, the wicked schemer who deceives Othello into thinking his wife is unfaithful.  Emilia is honorable, but being a Shakespearean wife, has to go along with whatever her husband does.  Here she is alone with Desdemona, who has seen, for the first time, Othello acting jealous.

Emilia. 'Tis not a year or two shows us a man:
They are all but stomachs, and we all but food;
They eat us hungerly, and when they are full
They belch us.

Frybabe

« Reply #2358 on: September 28, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
Rosemarykaye, would you like me to take this one?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2359 on: September 29, 2011, 01:32:47 AM »
Frybabe - that would be lovely, provided you don't mind  :)

I would never have got Othello if you hadn't got Shakespeare.  After all, i thought it was Jeffrey Archer!!!

Rosemary