Author Topic: Author! Author!  (Read 353990 times)

Frybabe

Re: Author! Author!
« Reply #2560 on: December 22, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »
John Knowles, A Separate Peace?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2561 on: December 22, 2011, 06:55:18 PM »
WINNER!!  WINNER!!  WINNER!!

You got it Frybabe, just in time too 'cause I'm flying to Seattle tomorrow, and was wondering if I'd be able to keep up on this.  Congratulations.

It's been years since I've read the book, likewise the film, which I remember enjoying, despite all its criticisms.  The book was published in 1959, the film in '72.  Then Showtime had a TV production of it in 2004.  Knowles wrote about 7 or 8 additional novels, but none achieved best seller status or the high ratings of A Separate Peace.  We had Peace Breaks Out in the high school library, but it was never one that was real popular with the students.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays to everyone.

Frybabe

« Reply #2562 on: December 22, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
Have a good trip, Pedln, and a wonderful holiday.

Now I'll have to put my thinking cap on.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2563 on: December 22, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »
No, pedln,  there were no trees in my vague memory, and I may have been on the wrong track.   :-X

West Virginian authors are also referred to generically as "Appalachian" writers which, given the  extension of this age-old mountain range, includes several U.S. states, for example Kentucky, and  therefore Kentuckians Barbara Kingsolver and mystery author Sharyn McCrumb.

The author we are trying to identify was clearly not a "typical" West Virginian and, due to influences from ivy league institutions,  was able to write a "preppy" novel.  Admittedly, I did not once think of John Knowles, but Frybabe may have hit on the solution in the last  post.

This is getting suspenseful, pedln !

Frybabe

« Reply #2564 on: December 22, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »
Okay, I have one. In keeping with the holiday, this should be pretty easy.

Author: Also illustrates the books

Book:  Children's book written 25 years ago.

Character: Jolly fella

roshanarose

« Reply #2565 on: December 22, 2011, 10:12:18 PM »
WELL DONE FRYBABE!!!!As for me - Alas, I have never heard of the book.  Don't feel too bad Rosemary - all I could think of were the two British athletes in "Chariots of Fire". :'(
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2566 on: December 23, 2011, 12:15:22 AM »
Ok, I'll bet the character is Santa claus. But I don't know the book.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2567 on: December 23, 2011, 05:10:39 AM »
Is it the Jolly Postman, Allan & Janet Ahlberg?

Frybabe

« Reply #2568 on: December 23, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »
Sorry, Rosemarykaye, it is not The Jolly Postman.

JoanK is correct the characer is Santa (no big surprise there). Ho Ho Ho!

Frybabe

« Reply #2569 on: December 24, 2011, 12:18:42 PM »
Next clues:

Author: Also illustrates the books
             Winner of a number of medals and awards, including two Caldecott Medals

Book:  Children's book written 25 years ago.
            Made into a popular movie six years ago

Character: Jolly fella is Santa - JoanK

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2570 on: December 24, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »
The Polar Express by Chris van Allsburg

The answer is a family affair.  I just asked daughter if The Grinch was written 25 years ago and she said, it's older than I am.  Then in she comes with the above title -- water-marked, stained, and well-used,

Merry Christmas.  We're here in Seattle waiting for the rest of the crew to come on the late plane from Oakland.

Frybabe

« Reply #2571 on: December 24, 2011, 09:50:20 PM »

A Merry Christmas Winner

Hurray for your daughter, Pedln. Polar Express it is. I was surprised at how old the book is. The 25th Anniversary Edition was published in 2009. Scroll down the link to find a letter from the author, and a few recipes and activities that are printable. http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Express-Chris-Van-Allsburg/dp/0395389496/ref=sr_1_80?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324603469&sr=1-80

Have a wonderful time with your family.

roshanarose

« Reply #2572 on: December 25, 2011, 07:19:18 AM »
Well done Pedln and Family  :D

Today was Xmas Day.  I rose at 6am thanks to my youngest grandson who could not contain himself a second longer, asking me to come downstairs and open the presents.  A coffe was my saviour.  I got books, sweets, soap (I love soap!), money, and a voucher for a pedi and a mani (Oh Joy)!!

As I sit here looking at the screen I wait for a Christmas Carol to come to me, one that is worthy of posting here for my dear friends, and now it is here:

Enjoy - and have a wonderful day with your loved ones.

Star of Wonder

We three kings of Orient are
Bearing gifts we traverse afar
Field and fountain, moor and mountain
Following yonder star

O Star of wonder, star of night
Star with royal beauty bright
Westward leading, still proceeding
Guide us to thy Perfect Light

Born a King on Bethlehem's plain
Gold I bring to crown Him again
King forever, ceasing never
Over us all to reign

Guide us to Thy perfect light

Frankincense to offer have I
Incense owns a Deity nigh
Prayer and praising, all men raising
Worship Him, God most high

Myrrh is mine, its bitter perfume
Breathes of life of gathering gloom
Sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, dying
Sealed in the stone-cold tomb

Glorious now behold Him arise
King and God and Sacrifice
Alleluia, Alleluia
Earth to heav'n replies

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2573 on: December 26, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »
Congratulations to recent winners Pedln and Frybabe.  Excellent work,; and a pleasure, as usual.

Thank you for your post, Roshanarose.
Our small family group opened gifts on  Saturday, Christmas Eve, according to the tradition with which I was brought up up in Europe, where Christmas, Easter and Pentecost (still) encompass two holidays, the 25th and 26th.  My family has followed the same tradition after we came to this country (when I was 30 years old) and continued it after my husband's death. The children were well pleased. Ditto for my grands.
It's safe to assume that most people celebrated Christmas on Sunday.

But since the holiday fell on a Sunday  this year, it was officially observed today, Monday - which means that all state and federal government offices, and also banks, were closed, and their employees had the day off. Otherwise it was a Monday like all others, everything open, business as usual.  Over so soon. Perhaps too much emphasis on material things, too little attention to the origin for this particular holiday ?
Be that as it may, I hope all of you had a wonderful, special time with your loved ones.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2574 on: December 27, 2011, 03:39:50 AM »
Straude, Monday and Tuesday are both public holidays here, as Monday was a public holiday anyway (Boxing Day), then Tuesday is one to make up for Christmas being on a Sunday.  We have a few 'normal' days then another 3 days off for New Year (January 1st and 2nd are public holidays in Scotland).  We all tend to feel that it drags on too long - the weather is depressing and most people would rather have more time off in the summer (when there are no public holidays in Scotland).  My children don't go back to school till 10th/11th Jan.  Is New Year a public holiday in the US?

Needless to say all the shops in town are open, but out here nothing much is till today, then everywhere will close early on Saturday and not re-open till Wednesday of next week.  At this time of year I would be happy not to see a shop for some time.  My son and I have been doing some long walks, but the ferocious winds we have been having have spoiled them a bit; daughters flatly refuse to come, so sit at home all day on their laptops  ::) or watching TV.

Having said that, the three of us watched the Downton Abbey Christmas Day special last night (recorded) and loved every cheesy minute  :)

Now that Madeleine is at a Steiner school, they celebrate St Nicholas (I hope i have that right) earlier in December.  They also place much emphasis on Advent; every morning they lit candles and sang songs around an advent garland in their classroom.  Their teacher also took them to the German market in Princes Street Gardens.  She really enjoyed it all.  I love the way they maintain all these traditions; they are keen on preserving the 'rhythm' of the year.

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2575 on: December 29, 2011, 11:27:14 PM »
Please forgive me for dragging my tail on a new puzzle, but computer time has been very limited here.

So, our new author is contemporary, first book published in 1988.  He/she has written both fiction and non.

Probably the author's best-known book is the one we are concered with here --  a novel narrated by different women. It is not the author's first book.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2576 on: December 30, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »
A blessed Christmas, spent with people I love.  Roshanarose, thank you for your carol--it hit an important note for me, and was much appreciated.

Pedln, if you thought you felt someone waving at you from the south, that was me in Portland, thinking about you.  Now I'm home, back to business, but definitely clueless about the new quiz.

Frybabe

« Reply #2577 on: December 30, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »
Nothing so far.  I had thought of Amy Tan. However, upon checking, her Joy Luck Club was her first and was published in 1989. Back to the ol' thinking cap.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2578 on: December 30, 2011, 08:49:49 PM »
Tomorrow is a travel day, so will get these clues in quickly.

The author earned a BS in Biology and  a masters in related science endeavors.

The author has written several books, but this book was the last novel until 2009.

The author almost tossed his/her first book (a novel) in the garbage as the literary agent was awaiting an unfinished non-fiction title.  "Can you use this" was asked about the novel written only for oneself.

roshanarose

« Reply #2579 on: December 30, 2011, 11:26:47 PM »
PatH - What a wonderful Christmas you must have had!  The way that Carol came to me was by a technique I sometimes use.  I used it for Gum's farewell poem as well.  I sit with my eyes closed and go into a kind of trance and think of many poems, songs, carols whatever. The one that calls (although that is not quite the correct word)to me, I choose, or rather it chooses me.  Glad you liked it.  It means a lot to me too, especially now that I know it hit "an important note" for you as well.

pedln - Is it a sci-fi story?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2580 on: January 01, 2012, 07:17:30 PM »
Not sci-fi, Roshanarose, but very nitty gritty fiction.

This past year the author joined the ranks of Studs Terkel, Elie Wiesel, Nicholas Kristof and Geraldine Brooks as the winner of a special award. This year’s award was presented by the widow of Richard Holbrooke.  This author has won so many awards, it's almost impossible to keep up. Last year also, the Award for Lifetime Environmental Achievement in the Fine Arts, and the author's latest book received the Orange Award. It also won a literary prize in Virginia. Probably the most prestigious was when the author  received the National Humanities Medal, our country’s highest honor for service through the arts, presented by President Clinton.

As a child, the author lived in the country where this novel is set, but experienced a much different life than the family in the novel.  This family not only brought their religion to a foreign land, but also everything they thought they would need, most of which was totally unsuitable.

And I need to correct an earlier statement --  The book we're dealing with here was published in the late 90's.  I incorrectly said it was the last novel until 2009.  This is not so.  There was another novel and we discussed it. 

Shortly after reading this book, I met a family that had lived more or less in the same area. They assured me that the statements about the unpassable roads, the mud, the isolation, were all true.

I am really enjoying what I'm finding out about this author.

New Year's Day is a holiday here,Rosemary, and I think tomorrow is too, since today is Sunday. I'm with you on not wanting to see a shop for a while, though I do most of my shopping online.  But I ate down the house before I left home and the larder is bare. So tomorrow I'll have to face up to it.  It was just nibbles at 9 pm last night, and this evening will be an easy pasta. But I hate being without fruit.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2581 on: January 02, 2012, 11:40:27 AM »
Is it Barbara Kingsolver, 'The Poisonwood Bible'?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2582 on: January 02, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »
WINNER!!  WINNER!!  WINNER!!

You are so right, Rosemary.  Congratulations.

It has been such fun reading about her and all she has accomplished.  She also has established a prize, The Bellewether Award for someone who has published short stories, but has an unpublished novel.  Rather a neat way to encourage writers.

A few years back, my daughter, who then lived in Charlottesville, was helping a friend with a  library project in southwest Virginia. Kingsolver had been present and then later, while dining at a local restaurant, my daughter had another chance to meet and visit with Kingsolver and her husband.  They had a farm in the area and are very involved in the produce what you eat movement.  One of her recent books  -- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle -- tells how her family did this and what they learned from it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2583 on: January 02, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »
Thanks Pedln, good quiz.  I had no idea until you mentioned 'bringing religion to a foreign land' - that was the clue that made me think of Kingsolver.

I had no idea Barbara Kingsolver was so multi-talented.  I just had a look at her website and she also looks completely different from how I imagined her.  I started The Posionwood Bible once, but for some reason I don't think I ever finished it.  It will have to go back onto that teetering TBR pile.

I will have a think - only got back from Cumbria this afternoon - and will hope to post a new quiz shortly.

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2584 on: January 02, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
Good job, Rosemarykaye!  I was clueless.

Frybabe

« Reply #2585 on: January 02, 2012, 06:56:36 PM »
Super catch Rosemarykaye.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2586 on: January 02, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »
Wow.  I've been wondering if things in the Congo have changed much from the days of the Poisonwood Bible.  Read on.  This is horrible -- from today's NYT

Food Rationing like Electricity

roshanarose

« Reply #2587 on: January 03, 2012, 09:28:46 PM »
SUPER ROSEMARY !

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2588 on: January 06, 2012, 02:55:17 AM »
New quiz:

Author:         Is British and writes under a pseudonym

Book:           Is the first of a trilogy

Character:    I was retired

This looks very easy to me  :)

I am going away this morning, back Sunday night, so will give more clues on Monday if you haven't got it by then.

Have a good weekend,

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #2589 on: January 06, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »
Well Rosemary I have come up with British trilogies so far, but none of the authors use pseudonyms:

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Nick Banrock - Griffin and Sabine
Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials
Melvyn Peake - Gormenghast
Mary Stewart - ?

Perhaps the books and author are not as recently written as those listed above.  As using a pseudonym usually suggests a woman using a man's name for the purposes of propriety.  More clues needed please.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2590 on: January 06, 2012, 10:58:52 PM »
It may look easy to Rosemary, but it's not to me.

Roshanarose, I've read some or all of the first 4 of your suggestions; I'd love to have your comments on any of them.

Frybabe

« Reply #2591 on: January 06, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »
I am thinking of John La Carre (real name: David John Moore Cornwell) and the "Karla" Trilogy.

The only reason I even thought of him is because a new movie is being advertised for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. The other two are The Honorable Schoolboy and Smiley's People. I was glued to the TV when PBS ran the spy series years ago, both of Tinker, Tailor and Smiley's People. For some reason, they didn't to the middle book. I'll be interested to see how this new Smiley stacks up against Sir Alex Guinness.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2592 on: January 06, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
Magnificent, Frybabe, I bet you're right.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2593 on: January 07, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »
I think you're right, Frybabe.  That would be my guess.

roshanarose

« Reply #2594 on: January 07, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »
Sounds good to me as well, Frybabe.

PatH - I have only read bits of Gormenghast, and that was because my ex loved his work.  I read some of Mary Stewart's "Arthurian" books when I was about 15.  Griffin and Sabine and His Dark Materials look interesting but I have not read either of them.  Loved Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - esp Marvin the Paranoid Android with whom I found I could identfy  :o

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2595 on: January 08, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
Well done Frybabe - you are of course right!  Saved me thinking of any more clues too  ;D

Le Carre wrote the Tinker Tailor trilogy after earlier success with A Murder of Quality and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.

For most of us Smiley will forever mean Alec Guinness, in one of his best ever roles, but I understand that the new film is also good.  Smiley was brought out of retirement to find the Mole who was passing secret service information to Russia - doesn't that all seem such a long time ago now?  There were many brilliant performances in the TV adaptation of the books - Beryl Reid still personifies Connie for me.  Last year (I think) Radio 4 presented a new adaptation with Simon Russell Beale as Smiley - unfortunately I only heard a bit, but it was a much praised performance.

Over to you, Frybabe!

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #2596 on: January 08, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »
GOOD JOB FRYBABE !!!!

Frybabe

« Reply #2597 on: January 08, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »
 ;D ;D  Thank you. Thank you.  ;D ;D

Actually, the character of George Smiley showed up in other books as well, but the three I listed are considered a trilogy, and Smiley is the central character in them rather than just another character among a bunch.

I will have something for you perhaps by tomorrow evening. I may not have a chance before evening.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2598 on: January 09, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
Coming up with a quiz is not a trivial matter.

roshanarose

« Reply #2599 on: January 09, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »
@ PatH  :D So true.  

Is it Colin Firth who plays George Smiley in the movie?  Or is it Gary Oldman?  Fine actors in the movie.  I saw Tom Hardy play Heathcliff in a recent TV series of Wuthering Heights.  He was fantastic.  Then I heard that Hardy had signed up to play Mad Max in another sequel, and I thought. "What an odd choice".  I think he is a bit of a chameleon.