Author Topic: Author! Author!  (Read 340303 times)

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
Re: Author! Author!
« Reply #3360 on: May 09, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »
Frybabe,
Your answer made everything perfectly clear, thank you.
What led me to the solution of this puzzle was the connection I suddenly remberd with Ray Bradbur's stories in "Dandelion Wine" from he past, where two boys (and the father of one) come face to face with the dark forces of evil for the first time, when a carnival comes to town, an excitement for old and young.

The antagonist is William Holloway,  Will's father His weapons to defeat evil are love and laughter. Far from being "dated", it's a message for the ages.  And a great choice of book for us to guess.

Frybabe

« Reply #3361 on: May 09, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »
Good answer Traude, but I was thinking of G. M. Dark as the primary antagonist. He is the one that all three, George and his two sons, must contend with. Dark draws in his "victims" and adds a tattoo for each person he gathers for the carnival. He thrives on negative feelings but becomes weakened by positive, loving feelings such as George Halloway portrays.

I'll let you and PatH fight it out over who takes the next quiz.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3362 on: May 10, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »
Traude, would you like to do it?  You could have gotten the author, but I couldn't have gotten the book.  I always enjoy your quizzes.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3363 on: May 11, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
Thank you, Pat.  I'm happy to be it.  My self-imposed idleness has lasted too long, yett my deteriorating vision is a dreadful handicap.

Regarding the solution: Once I felt certain of an intrinsic connection between our last novel and the author's stories in "Dandelion Wine", I acted - perhaps precipitously - based on just onset of clues.  Had I waited a little longer, I might have  realized that Frybabe's focus was on the character w. Dark.  The main theme of this novel ay well be the eternal struggle between good and evil in the bi biblical sense. Still, Mr. Dark's sway was diminished when Will's father started looking into  the mystery of the mirror, and other fishy happenings.
The circus and the people who had come with it were chased out of town,  good prevailed over evil. Not a bad coda, IMHO.

May I take this opportunity to apologize for my silence after Frybabe's post with the news of   Babi's death.  I did learn about it from Marcy's notice in a Newsletter. The suddenness was a shock (and a memento mori), and Babi's loss is keenly felt.
I will get right to work on a new quiz and wish all of you a wonderful Mother's Day.
Traude

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3364 on: May 16, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
Traude, are you still good for doing the next quiz?  If not, I'll take it, but I like your quizzes.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3365 on: May 17, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
Pat,
Thanks for the reminder. I will post the first clues tis evening.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3366 on: May 17, 2013, 10:59:48 PM »
Here's the new quiz

The Author                   An American writer known for his  trenchant novels
                                  and superb sense of the national psyche.

The Book                    Third of a trilogy

Main Character            An intransigent college professor  

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3367 on: May 17, 2013, 11:24:48 PM »
That looks interesting, Traude.  Nothing occurs to me right away.

Frybabe

« Reply #3368 on: May 18, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »
Oh dear, I think my first three immediate choices are shot down, one because the series I was thinking of is more then three, one because he concentrated on short stories, and the last because he did not trilogies. None of them, that I know of, regularly taught.  Interesting choice of word, "intransigent".

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3369 on: May 19, 2013, 09:51:01 AM »
Everything I think of turns out not to fit.  And that college professor rings a bell, but I still can't come up with it.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3370 on: May 19, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
Pat, Not to worry; more clues will be more revealing.  Our author is a master of his craft and known to all of us.

Back later

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3371 on: May 19, 2013, 11:44:05 AM »
I'm not worried.  It's no fun if you get it on the first clues.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3372 on: May 20, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
More clues

AUTHOR  
An American writer known for his trenchant novels and his superb sense of the national psyche.
Several of his novels were inspired  by political events.

BOOK
Third volume of a trilogy

MAIN CHARACTER,
An intransigent college professor of English.
In an era of societal change he clings to outdated views.

Frybabe

« Reply #3373 on: May 21, 2013, 06:51:52 AM »
William Manchester - The Last Lion trilogy about Winston Churchill?

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3374 on: May 21, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »
Sorry, Frybabe , not William Manchester

Frybabe

« Reply #3375 on: May 21, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Oh, right! The optimal word is NOVEL. Duh!
Thinking.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3376 on: May 23, 2013, 09:38:43 PM »
More Clues

The AUTHOR is the recipient of the Pulitzer Prize, numerous  other literary awards and honors.
His fiction reflects his experiences.

The BOOK is set in decades different from and subsequent to Volumes I and II of the trilogy.
Volume III has been made into a movie.

The main CHARACTER  harborsdreadful secret;  he  resigns in disgrace.
One close friend  remains loyal.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3377 on: May 23, 2013, 10:08:39 PM »
Typing just these few lines has take me inordinately long, but I stayed with it becaue more clues were needed..
It should e u
Both my iMac ab and my printer gave me trouble. And that is how I neglected to rueply to your othr gesses, Frybabe.
Now the tense of the verb makes it clear that the author is still among us which mst be a help.

Frybabe

« Reply #3378 on: May 24, 2013, 07:49:48 AM »
Phillip Roth taught for many years, but I don't think any of his books were trilogies.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3379 on: May 24, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »
Traude, I really appreciate you going to all this trouble for us. This is a very interesting quiz; it sounds so familiar, but I still can't think what it is. ???

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3380 on: May 24, 2013, 12:21:45 PM »
Hurrah, we have the author !!! 
To find the book will be easier.

Frybabe

« Reply #3381 on: May 24, 2013, 03:35:01 PM »
Really?

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3382 on: May 24, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
Yes, Frybabe,
Really

Would anyone like to guess, or should I reeal the title ?

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3383 on: May 25, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »
Pat,  your wish is my command:)!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3384 on: May 26, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »
Traude, if Frybabe or I get it, it will be because we looked it up, so you may as well tell us.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3385 on: May 30, 2013, 12:27:36 AM »
Pat,
I am truly sorry that my last quiz remained unsolved and that I disappointed you. It might have been easier and faster - thpugh  not as much fun - if I had mentioned that the author has used an alter ego in several of his novels.

There is a great deal of material about Philip Roth and his work s hat I can talk about my hughts of his work and how it has affected e.
The book is The Human Stain; the third volume of a trilogy. The first and second volumes are I Married A Communist and American Pastoral. . Roth has been described as a "masterful chronicler ot the American century", and he has done so with an extraordinary sensibility, portraying fictional characters and the times i which they lived.  It has also been said that many novels are semi-autobiographical, and he cerss in discussing some delicate and personal issues in at least one of his books, Portnoy's Complaint ,which caysed a big controversy.   H
For the sake of good order, let me add that I Married a Communist recalls the shameful McCarthy era, while American Pastoral and The Human Stain were written in the nineties. BYW American Pastoral is not set in a bucolic elysium and the title is pure irony.
Many of Roth's characters are Jewish, as is he. He is autely aware of his Jewishness and of being a minority, but his work is important for all mankind, for under the skin we are all alike in our virtues and vices.

The Human stain was conceived at a time  when the nation struggled with the knowledge of a stain on a blue dress  on a blue dress and the political implications.  A sense of outrage s palpable in the book.
The story is told in flashbacks by the one loyal friend of Colman Silk,  a professor at a second-tier college in New England. He is 71 und becoming grumpy. He is annoyed that two students who had signed up for his seminar never showed up ad asking for them he refers to them as "spooks", and i offends the two students who happen to be back.All ell breaks loose. In the midst of it Colman Silk's wife dies.

Silk's troubles are compounded by the fact that he has been harboring a deep dark secret for decades : he was born black.  In his  youth, when he signed up for the Marines, he passed as white and decided to declare himself Jewish. Neither his Jewish wife nor his four children were ever informed of their black ancestry.white Then Colman silk meets a young woman, less than half his age, whose husband returned from Vietnam a different man, one who beats her. Silk and Fauna, the woman, have moments of happiness.but there is no happy end.  There are long philosophical discussions  between  Silk and his old friend, and one extraordinary scene of the two old men dancing in the moonlight, which is almost unbearably moving.

I have enjoyed this book and hope my lengthy comments reflect that feeling. Thank you,

Frybabe

« Reply #3386 on: May 30, 2013, 06:24:01 AM »
I had no idea they were part of a trilogy.

PatH, I guess it's back to me, unless you want a go.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3387 on: May 30, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
Frybabe, it's definitely up to you.  You guessed the author, and I didn't.

Traude, why do you say you disappointed us?  We had a lot of fun trying to figure it out.  We weren't looking for easy and fast.  I remember reading about the book, and probably should have thought of it, but didn't.  It was a good quiz.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3388 on: May 30, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »
Thank you, Pat.

Frybabe

« Reply #3389 on: May 31, 2013, 07:31:50 AM »
I'm going to go with something different this time - no character.

Author:
Essayist, nonfiction writer, editor/annotator.

Book: Underwent three revisions with a slight title change later on.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3390 on: May 31, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »
Hmmm.  Interesting.

Frybabe

« Reply #3391 on: June 01, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »
Author: Essayist, nonfiction writer, editor/annotator.
              Wrote a popular column in a monthly magazine for 25 years.

Subject matter includes mirrors, art, music, molecular physics, wildlife, an early SETI experiment.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3392 on: June 01, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Well, the new clues totally rule out my first idea.  Now to find a second.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3393 on: June 01, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »
For me, there's not yet enough to "hang my hat on".

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3394 on: June 01, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »
My thought for the first set of clues was Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, based on the three revisions and the title change, but the second set of clues doesn't fit that at all.

Frybabe

« Reply #3395 on: June 02, 2013, 06:59:54 AM »
Author: Essayist, nonfiction writer, editor/annotator.
              Wrote a popular column in a monthly magazine for 25 years.
              Considered a leading authority on Lewis Carroll

Subject matter includes mirrors, art, music, molecular physics, wildlife, an early SETI experiment.
           The first edition included two lines of poetry, from a book by Nicholas Nabokov, which was purposefully attributed to a fictional author as a joke. Nabokov returned the favor in one of his books.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3396 on: June 02, 2013, 07:29:06 AM »
This gets worse and worse.  I was thinking maybe Stephen Jay Gould before this current round.  Lewis Carroll?  Nabokov? ??? ??? ???

Frybabe

« Reply #3397 on: June 02, 2013, 10:24:03 AM »
Tee Hee  ;D

This author is probably not as well known as Gould, so it doesn't surprise me you thought of him first.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3398 on: June 02, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
EUREKA!  Martin Gardner!

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #3399 on: June 02, 2013, 05:04:47 PM »
Might we we tcnsider the possibility that the author is/was British ?