Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Night Villa, The ~ Carol Goodman ~ June 1 ~ Book Club Online

(1/182) > >>

BooksAdmin:
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

"The Night Villa: Carol Goodman’s luminous prose and superb storytelling will keep you entertained into the late hours.”
–Nancy Pickard

“The pleasure of a Carol Goodman novel is in her enviable command of the classical canon–and the deft way she [writes] a book that’s light enough for a weekend on the beach but literary enough for a weekend in the Hamptons.”  –Chicago Tribune  ____________________News  Flash! Carol Goodman, award winning author of The Night Villa, will attend our June discussion of her book. If you like mystery mixed with mythology, cultural and religious history and intrigue then this is the story for you.

The novel is a multi layered mystery set in the exploration of an ancient Roman villa.  Carol Goodman is a former Latin teacher who knows her stuff, and since we met with her in NYC, we know she is an incredibly responsive person.  This will be "one for the  Books.."  Do join us June 1!

Our meeting in NYC with Carol.       Schedule:

* Pages      4 - 112       June 1 - 7
* Pages  113 - 204       June 8 - 14
* Pages  204 - 291       June 15 - 22
* Pages  292 / finish    June 23 - 30
      Links

* NYC Interview with Carol Goodman ~ Book Gathering '08
* Carol Goodman Homepage
* The Night Villa Reader's Group Questions & Topics for Discussion
____________________Discussion Leaders: Andrea & Ginny

ginny:
Welcome to what we hope will be one of the highlights of our Books  year on SeniorLearn, our first Author Event:  in which an author posts right in our book club discussion, talking to our readers!!   And you are invited to pull up a chair and join right in!

Andrea and I are excited to welcome you and Carol Goodman to talk about her book The Night  Villa on June 1. We hope to have a good turnout!

As you can see in the heading we met Carol in  September at our SeniorNet Book's 10th Anniversary Celebration in NYC,  and found her (and her mother whose birthday it was) to be delightful and very responsive, it was a glorious day.  She's wonderful, you're in for a treat!

You don't have to have a background in classics or Latin to enjoy this book,  and the best part, well one of the best parts, is when you leave, you'll have learned something new (you can't help learing something)  AND unlike many authors writing about classical stuff,  Carol, a former Latin teacher, really knows her stuff:  you'll have the real skinny on the latest developments going,  and a whopping good tale in the business.

Andrea has divided the book into sections (see heading above with the pictures) and we'll only talk about that section that week, I think there will be a LOT to discuss! WITH the author right HERE!

What a trip. We cordially invite you to join us. Please sign in your interest, what fun!!  The curtain will rise June 1, join us!

ALF43:
Hooray!  Once again, we get to spend more time with Carol Goodman.  We found her delightful, enthusiastic, funny and warm. This will be a treat, especially to have her here with us to answer our many questions.

Welcome aboard, come in sit down and enjoy this intriguing story of Sophie Chase, another classics insturctor.  Come June 1st, we will be surrounded by teachers, folks, so I will do my utmost to behave. ::)

I am so delighted that we will have some of Ginny's Latin students.  Do tell us a bit about your attraction to Carol's novel.

Pei Li:
I am not familiar with this author- but another reason this site is wonderful, followed the links and look forward to reading Night Villa and her other works.

ALF43:
Hello Pei Li-  you are the first to arrive and I salute you. 

We are pleased that you've shown an interest in this novel and I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

I have read every single book written by Carol Goodman and the more I read, the better Carol writes.  What a team we'd make, I'd say.  ;D

Make sure you mark NOTIFY at the bottom of this screen so that any post that has been entered you will be alerted to that fact.  It will then bring you right back into the discussion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version