Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 352841 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Classics Forum
« Reply #680 on: September 19, 2014, 04:48:29 PM »

The Classics Forum

Paestum

Paestum, a complex of Greek Temples in  Southern Italy.

Welcome to our Classics Forum, which is our public discussion for those interested in the Classics. Since our Latin Classes are not visible to the public but we have a great many people interested in talking about the Classics, we've put this discussion up for your interest.

Please share here news, clips, magazine or newspaper articles, movies or television shows and especially books  you find that would be of interest to those of us who love the classics world.

Everyone is welcome!

Congratulations to the Class of 2014 and their awesome results on the National Latin Exam! See post 654 below!

It's never too late to learn Latin!

Interested in learning more about our Latin Courses? Click here: Learn More About Our Latin Courses

Hi, MaryEmm. Glad to see that our knowledge and findings from the classical world are still popping. Now if someone would only find copies of all the lost classical works of literature, buried in some library somewhere!

I'm like you: At 81 feeling too lazy to initiate another classical discussion. But if someone prods me enough, maybe I'll wake up.

Frybabe

« Reply #681 on: September 21, 2014, 01:41:05 PM »
This cracked me up. I found it on a Latin Q&A site.

Q: How do you decline a proper name?
A: Just say no!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #682 on: September 21, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »
 ;D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #683 on: September 21, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »
 :D  ::)

Tomereader1

« Reply #684 on: September 25, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
In another vein, I must comment on something that has impressed me from Day One in this Forum and others too.  I stand absolutely awestruck regarding the level of intellect displayed here.   Would each of you mind too much posting the names of your colleges/universities, and the level of degrees earned??  Be assured this is not "data mining" in any way, shape or form.  I simply would love to know where you gleaned your "classical educations".   
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #685 on: September 26, 2014, 04:28:37 PM »
I know almost nothing about the classics, except having read a few of them. I have degrees in other subjects: math and social science. But I got the small amount I do know about the classics from childhood and adult reading.

As a child, PatH and I read versions of the classics meant for children. We even wrote our own versions of some of the classical stories. As an adult, I continued to read some (in translation) but for every classic I have read, there are three or four which I haven't. The wonderful discussion we had a few years ago here of the Iliad sparked my interest again.

With the kindle, I have no more excuses. I have at my fingertips translations of most of the classics free or at nominal cost. It is just mental laziness that I haven't taken more advantage.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #686 on: September 27, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »
One of our Latin students  has found this notice of a spectacular tomb discovered  in Greece , the article dated September 22, which is absolutely fascinating reading!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29239529

Frybabe

« Reply #687 on: September 27, 2014, 06:33:58 PM »
Oh, Wow! I almost think I saw a photo similar to this not too long ago, but I don't know where. The others are new. Oh, how exciting.

I also read the other article, "Greek Tomb is Important Discovery".  It answers a question I've had for a long time but never really researched. What happened to Roxana? Not a surprising answer, sad to say.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #688 on: September 27, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »
Do you mean Roxania? The Latin student? She's in another class. We haven't lost too many students, but they do shift from class to class.

Frybabe

« Reply #689 on: September 28, 2014, 06:25:55 AM »
No, sorry, I was talking about Alexander the Great's wife.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #690 on: September 28, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »
HAhahahaha, oh THAT Roxana! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Boy what a morning.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #691 on: September 28, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »
The History Channel was rebroadcasting an interesting series of programs on "Ancient Discoveries". I didn't know (I'm sure Ginny did) that the city of Alexandria, founded by Alexander the great and a center of ancient culture, has disappeared. It is now underwater, and nothing remains onshore. Underwater archeologists are doing excavating there, and in other ancient sites. Can you imagine the difficulties? They showed how they set up the grids, and how they gently fanned each grid with their hands to move the sediment without damaging any fragile objects buried there.

Maryemm

« Reply #692 on: October 04, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »

The Fenwick Treasure at Williams & Griffin!

During the last week of the Trust’s excavation at the Williams & Griffin store in the High Street at Colchester, we discovered buried treasure…

Read on:

http://www.thecolchesterarchaeologist.co.uk/?p=14844

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #693 on: October 04, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
What a story. Buried jewelry and an uneaten meal. It gives me chills.

Note this: "Strangely, human remains are almost unknown in the debris," That gives some hope that people survived. O maybe they were just taken somewhere out of town to be killed. Sigh.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #694 on: October 04, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »
Mary, thank you so much! We can always count on you for the latest news.  Colchester was the brunt of a particularly brutal attack by Boudicca's forces, because it was a colony. The fact that many tribesmen had in fact settled there too seemed not to make a lot of difference. There's a wonderful film about it on the History Channel and available on youtube, but there are a lot of films on it on youtube and  you'd need to get the right one.

The portrayal of the Roman commander is particularly fine, by Mark Noble who also speaks in Latin for the film. Lots of talking heads of some authority, it's a good film. Let me go see if I can find the url to it. In Edit: nope, I don't see it, only excerpted parts of it. It's not the one with Alex Kingston, but it's available from Netflix. Very good film. Surprising acting.

Unfortunately the only one which seems left  (there are full versions in German and Spanish but not in English) is one in three parts which only takes up the last battle, and that's a shame. I'd go for the entire one, it explains the situation from Colchester to St.  Albans to London to the final battle. Really well done.

JoanK, yes and before the Arab Spring and the constant upheaval in Egypt they were planning a new underwater archaeological museum where you could walk down inside and view the artifacts which remain under water. I'd really love to see that someday if it gets built. And order is restored to Egypt and it's safe to go again.

Maryemm

« Reply #695 on: October 05, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »

Never thought of checking UTube. Find I am "not permitted" (in the UK)  to watch the videos of Boudicca's rebellion I wanted to view.  Can watch the Alex Kingston one and it is downloading so well. Usually have the stop /start problem. Alex Kingston was the perfect Boudicca I thought.

Glad you liked the above account, Ginny. When the items are displayed in the Museum I hope to go and see them.

Frybabe

« Reply #696 on: October 05, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »
Oh, NO!

If you are interesting in UFO sightings in ancient Roman times, someone has written a short paper about it.

http://www.michaelsheiser.com/UFOReligions/Wittmann%20Flying%20Saucers%20or%20Flying%20Shields.pdf

Maryemm

« Reply #697 on: October 06, 2014, 12:25:11 PM »

Trust the following will not offend anyone here.The series was shown on UK TV in 1988 and is available  at:

QUOTE: A comedic take on the undignified power struggles that took place between a Roman general and a British tribal leader in the ancient city of Chelmsford. UNQUOTE

Maryemm

« Reply #698 on: October 06, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »

It is possible that you might not be permitted to access the above site. If so, some scenes are shown on YouTube.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #699 on: October 08, 2014, 04:19:05 PM »
MARYEMM: you're right on both counts. Here's an episode: (it's hilarious)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZQS78V5vA

Maryemm

« Reply #700 on: October 09, 2014, 06:21:04 AM »

Rude but hilarious, as you state, Joan.    :o

Frybabe

« Reply #702 on: October 09, 2014, 07:10:05 AM »
Interesting, Maryemm. Of course, I had to look up more information about the fort itself and found this site.
http://www.roman-britain.org/places/arbeia.htm

Maryemm

« Reply #703 on: October 09, 2014, 07:15:27 AM »
 "Forgot" this site would be new to many people. It's an excellent description of the place. Not sure if we will be going that far North again, but if we ever do........................!

Thanks, Frybabe.

Frybabe

« Reply #704 on: November 15, 2014, 07:53:48 AM »
This morning I watched a documentary I found on my Amazon Prime called Carnuntum: Metropolis in the Land of Barbarians. Carnuntum is/was near Vienna. It is all enactment showing the rise and life of Carnuntun rather than photography of the ruins. There is some commentary on the wildlife in the area at that time with some very nice wildlife photography. I especially liked the shot of the lightening in the mountains at the beginning of the show. What it doesn't have is any photography of the ruins today. You Tube has the full program in several languages, but not, as far as I could find, in English.

This is what the Austrians have on offer at the site now - a few ruins, a lovely museum, and lots of reproduction buildings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdRwU5z025U   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfODH52XS9g    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCGRorlQztk

Interesting note: Marcus Aurelius spent about three years there during a campaign against the Marcomanni. While there, he wrote part of his Meditations.

Frybabe

« Reply #705 on: November 18, 2014, 07:08:49 AM »
My morning cruise through the free booksites turned up Studies on Homer and the Homeric Age, Vol. 1 of 3 by W. E. Gladstone http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47356 It looks like an interesting reference. Too bad I didn't run across it when we were reading The Odyssey.

Frybabe

« Reply #706 on: November 19, 2014, 07:03:31 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30019338

More on the Greek excavations posted earlier.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #707 on: November 24, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »
Thank you Frybabe and everybody here for these wonderful submissions of the classics in the current news!

That one's very exciting. I bet the Greeks are beside themselves, but WHO can it be?

Here is a good example of Latin Lives Today, sent to me by one of my students at Furman:

Ted Cruz: Confused About Cicero

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/11/ted-cruz-confused-about-cicero/383066/
[/color]

Frybabe

« Reply #708 on: November 24, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
Oh, that is interesting, Ginny. Cicero is one character who I want to read, but I don't particularly like him. He seemed to have a nasty habit of changing alliances depending on the political winds.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #709 on: November 24, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »
OH he's so interesting!! A very dangerous time to live. His failure TO adhere to the power is what cost him his life.

Maryemm

« Reply #710 on: December 24, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »

GREETINGS TO ALL
[/b][/size]

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #711 on: December 25, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »
Merry Christmas!

I've heard some funny stories about Cicero. One is (for some religious or omen reason), he would only make love to his wife when there was a thunderstorm. If Rome weather is like my Southern California weather, that would explain why he always looks so grouchy in pictures.

Frybabe

« Reply #712 on: December 26, 2014, 06:30:28 AM »
 ::)  ;D

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Frybabe

« Reply #713 on: December 28, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »

Frybabe

« Reply #714 on: January 02, 2015, 07:00:37 AM »
Ran across this this morning on Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47833

It is a book of essays by Sir James Y. Simpson, BART., M.D., D.C.L.
Listed as one of Her Majesty's Physicians for Scotland, and Prpfessor of Medicine and  Midwifery in the University of Edinburgh, and edited by John Stuart, LL.D., Secretary of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

In the book there are essays about about the modern use of a drug called Lykion that was found in ancient Grecian vases. I have no idea what Lykion is - yet.

Another essay, and more in line with my interests, is one about what the Roman army provided it's medical officers, and another essay about ancient Roman medical-stamps.

This is Volume 2. Volume 1 is not on Gutenberg's site. Wonder what interesting essays that one holds.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #715 on: January 03, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »
When was the book written?

Frybabe

« Reply #716 on: January 03, 2015, 12:52:17 PM »
This second volume was published in 1872, Pat.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #718 on: January 19, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Mary, thank you SO much for that! How fascinating, I love the little clip! 60 A.D. he said!!

So good to see you again!!

Frybabe

« Reply #719 on: January 25, 2015, 06:37:14 AM »
Thomas Hardy must have visited Rome at some time. He wrote several poems about Rome.
I love the last two lines.

ROME: ON THE PALATINE
(April, 1887)

We walked where Victor Jove was shrined awhile,
And passed to Livia’s rich red mural show,
Whence, thridding cave and Criptoportico,
We gained Caligula’s dissolving pile.

And each ranked ruin tended to beguile
The outer sense, and shape itself as though
It wore its marble hues, its pristine glow
Of scenic frieze and pompous peristyle.

When lo, swift hands, on strings nigh over-head,
Began to melodize a waltz by Strauss:
It stirred me as I stood, in Cæsar’s house,
Raised the old routs Imperial lyres had led,

And blended pulsing life with lives long done,
Till Time seemed fiction, Past and Present one.