Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery ~ Wallander  (Read 60432 times)

EvelynMC

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery!
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2009, 05:17:11 PM »

The new Masterpiece Mystery series, "Wallander" ~  is based on the bestselling Swedish crime novels by Henning Mankell.

Detective  Kurt Wallander, brilliantly played by Kenneth Branagh, martials his wits to solve a series of bizarre crimes while his personal life and health spiral out of control.
"He's distant from his daughter, estranged from his father and looks like he's in perpetual need of a good night's sleep. The depressive detective sometimes seems paralyzed by indecision in his personal life."
Branagh, the renowned Shakespearean actor, sees the weary detective as everyman in his daily stuggles.

PBS Summer Mystery Schedule & Coming Attractions

Watch the episodes online: "Sidetracked" and "Firewall" and "One Step Behind"

Charlie Rose interview with Kenneth Branagh

Would you like to form a Wallander Book/Film club?   Let's discuss the PBS adaptation of Henrick Mankell's novels  and/or discuss  Mankell's  novels  if you are interested.  We can send you a set of three of the Wallender novels for the price of postage - if supplies last. (4 sets left!)  Are you interested?

EvelynMC

« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2009, 05:20:39 PM »
I noticed the same thing, Marcie, they sure do drink a lot of coffee all hours of the day and night. Interesting.

I agree, JoanP, we know who dun it, but it is still a very good read. This is the best book I have read in a long time.  I am really enjoying it.

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »
Not tea drinkers, are they?    I guess the caffeine keeps the detectives awake, as they are all sleep-deprived -  but wouldnt'you think they'd be on edge, as they drain cup after cup??

Another thing I've noticed - Markell really keeps us informed about the weather, doesn't he?  It's an important feature in crime-solving - and also in describing the detectives' moods.

I just started "Firewall"- and am struck by the frequent weather entries in the narrator's journal.  Even the temperature seems important.  I learned from "Sidetracked" to pay close attention to the smallest details...

Am a bit puzzled about the sequence - are you reading "Firewall" next?  I see that it was written AFTER  "One Step Behind" but the series presented it as the second episode.  Don't know exactly what to expect in the third episode.  But in "Fireball," Linda had submitted her dad's name to the dating site, which is how he met Ella.  Linda thinks he needs to "date" because he's down when learning that Mona has gone ahead with the divorce so that she can remarry.

But in "Sidetracked," the divorce had already gone through - and Wallander has a significant new friend - Baiba.  This should be interesting to see how things develop in Firewall.  Maybe things didn't work out with Baiba.  She did make him smile in Sidetracked though.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »
Yes, I noticed the weather references too. I think that Wallander's moods are affected by the weather. I keep forgetting that there is less daylight time in Denmark and they seem to have a shorter summer season than we do.

I'm reading Firewall now too (after Sidetracked) since we've already seen the TV episode.

JoanR

« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2009, 06:32:41 PM »
Thanks so much for the Wallander books, JoanP - my check should have reached you by now.

I read Side-tracked first (after seeing the program) and it all made a lot more sense to me.  The film was so compressed that although it was true to the book, it was hard to keep track of what was going on!  Of course my bad hearing is no help!  I enjoyed the book a whole lot more and could hardly put it down to fix meals.

I'm reading "One Step Behind"" now and it is another one that is hard to put down.  I wanted to read it before seeing the film.  That's a much more satisfactory way for me and I like to have my own picture of the characters and the settings ahead of time.  That way the film adds to one's enjoyment rather than filling your head with a pre-set experience and preventing the author from guiding you to your own picture.  I think I garbled that whole statement but maybe you know what I mean!

Our Wallander really needs somebody to make him take care of his health!! 

EvelynMC

« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »
I finished "Side-Tracked" last night and must say, it was riveting until the end.  Although we knew who did the deeds from watching the program, he also let the readers know early on in the book, when the killer was mulling over his given name and deciding what his alter-ego was going to be named.  Especially as the story continued and we met the various characters.  (I am being careful not to be a spoiler.)  So then we were wondering if Wallander and the other detectives were ever going to catch on to all the clues dropped in front of them.

I agree about the weather, it always played a big part.

About the coffee drinking,  I made a pot of decaf last night as I finished the book.  It was unconscious and then all of the sudden I realized why I made that coffee.  Talk about living in the moment and being influenced.  I couldn't believe it.  ;)

I am trying to finish "China Road" before I have to return it to the library.  And then I will start "Firewall".

Evelyn

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2009, 10:56:10 PM »
LOL, Evelyn about making coffee after reading the Wallander book. I hope we all don't start taking up some of his habits...gallons of coffee, sweet rolls, pizza and insomnia!

Frybabe

« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2009, 01:40:10 AM »
Oh Evelyn, that's funny! I just started Side-Tracked this afternoon so I am not too far into it yet.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2009, 06:54:43 AM »
Frybabe, let us know what you think of "Sidetracked."  We promise to try not to spoil the experience for you by revealing too much - about the book.  Even though you already know who dun it.  :D  

You will be relieved to learn in Firewall  that Wallander has been watching his diet because of his diabetes, Marcie. (He has not given up on the coffee consumption, however.  Watch out, Evelyn!)

JoanR, I am really looking forward to  hearing what you think of the third Masterpiece episode - after you've read One Step Behind.    In the back of my mind I still hope to read both Firewall AND One Step Behind before Sunday pm - but I really don't think that will happen.  You really can't read these books too fast, can you?

I'm  interested to see the emergence of characters from past cases while reading Firewall.  For example, Wallander attends the funeral of the 14 year old murderer from Sidetracked - at the invitation of the boy's mother.  I'm getting hooked on Wallander.  Does anyone know if  all of the other books in Henning Markell's Wallander series have been translated and  are available?  Ann was telling me about another book she read - much about Linda, his daughter.  Right now she's a rather mysterious character - even to Wallander, it seems.

Have you been noticing the frequent references to the social problems in Sweden?  I have to admit that I had been totally unaware this, but really shouldn't be surprised that the country is experiencing the same changes as other modern nations. Nevertheless, it was a surprise to read Markell's words about his own country -

"Sweden has become a place that people try to escape from, he thought.  The ones who can afford to.  And those who can't afford it, join the hordes who scavenge for enough money to leave."  Firewall p.83

Frybabe

« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2009, 10:37:59 AM »
JoanP I've been specifically looking for mention of Sweden's social problems.

I recently read a book called While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam Is Destroying the West from Within by Bruce Bawer. An American, Bawer lived in the Netherlands for a year or two and then moved on to Sweden where he still lives. Sweden's social welfare system is being strained mightily by immigration, many of whom are Muslim. It's very PC about multiculturalism trying to stay neutral or bending over backwards to accommodate things that are unacceptable to Swedes but are part of Islamic religion/culture. Their policies, as in other European countries, encourage separatist behavior as does the Muslim religion. Muslims are NOT integrating into society like the Europeans would like even after three and four generations. An interesting book, if a bit "alarmest" in tone (he has a reason to be). Here is his website/blog: http://www.brucebawer.com/

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
I too have found it interesting to learn a bit about Sweden's social problems from these books.

Joan, I found some interesting information about the Wallander books and their publication dates. It looks like all the novels have been translated into English (he may be still working on the last one "Worried Man"-2009) but the order in which they have been published in the U.S. is NOT the order in which he wrote them!!

See http://www.inspector-wallander.org/guide/timeline.html

Timeline of the Kurt Wallander Mystery Series
#    Title    Series    Original Swedish Publication Date
1    The Pyramid    Kurt Wallander    1999
2    Faceless Killers    Kurt Wallander    1991
3    The Dogs of Riga    Kurt Wallander    1992
4    The White Lioness    Kurt Wallander    1993
5    The Man Who Smiled    Kurt Wallander    1994
6    Sidetracked    Kurt Wallander    1995
7    The Fifth Woman    Kurt Wallander    1996
8    One Step Behind    Kurt Wallander    1997
9    Firewall    Kurt Wallander    1998
10*    The Return of the Dancing Master    Stefan Lindman    2000
11    Before the Frost    Linda Wallander    2002
12**    The Grave    Kurt Wallander    2004
13    The Worried Man    Kurt Wallander    2009

* "The Return of the Dancing Master" marks the creation of a new Henning Mankell detective named Stefan Lindman. It is unknown if this will become a continuing series or if it is a single work. Interestingly, associates of one of the murder victims from the Kurt Wallander novel Sidetracked make a substantial appearance in this novel.

** The following Kurt Wallander work has not yet been translated into English:
Händelse om hösten (The Grave), a short story from 2004 published only in The Netherlands.

EvelynMC

« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »
I started "Firewall" last night.  It is just as riveting as "Side-Tracked" and I stayed up until 2:00 AM reading it.  I still have more to go, but never got to pick it up again today. (Those housewifey chores, ugh)
Hopefully, I'll be able to continue tomorrow. 

I want to finish it before the final episode Sunday night.

Evelyn

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2009, 12:26:21 AM »
I finished Firewall also and am reading One Step Behind. I really like the Wallander character and his investigative approach. I'm learning something about Swedish society too. I love these books. They are hard to put down... and I'm neglecting the housewifey chores!! :-)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2009, 10:11:27 AM »
Not yet finished with Firewall, but it sure is giving an unvarnished picture of Sweden's problems - not only the immigrants who are not assimilating into Swedish life, Frybabe, but the young people seem to be in crisis.  I'm wondering whether it is just those in trouble with the law we are hearing about.  Is the suicide rate as high as it seems - or are these isolated incidents.  Motorcycle gangs, yes - and children who feel unwanted.

I remember - a loooong time ago, spending a summer in France, taking classes.  The Swedish girls were all the rage with the boys.  Not only were they beautiful, but they very uninhibited   - especially in comparison with the American girls.  I wonder whether their views on free sex didn't create some of the problems with today's young people.

I'm over half way through Firewall.  Don't think I'll be done in time to read One Step Behind before this week's episode airs.  I'm getting a stronger impression of Wallander - whose job is to apprehend murderers - at any cost. I like his "investigative approach" too, Marcie.  Intuitive.   I do wish he'd take better notes though - what will happen if his memory starts to fail.

He does seem to play fast and free with proper police procedure though.  Seems to feel above it all.  I do question some of his actions  - he  seems to feel he was justified in flattening the teenager - or at least slapping her because she slapped her mother.  I know that would not be justified here.  Police brutality.  Even if Eva had not fallen to the floor - should he have slapped her?  Would that have been okay in Sweden?
I can see where the police force has been strained to the limits.  Do you think Henning Mankell is basing his stories on the real situation in Sweden?

I'm wondering whether Ella is going to make an appearance in the book version of Firewall...will there be an ad in the personals, do you think?

Am looking forward to tomorrow night and Episode 3.  Surely some of the characters from the two earlier episodes will reappear.

JoanR

« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »
I've finished reading "One Step Behind" so now I'm all primed to watch tonight's episode!  I think it will be more clear this way than previously when I watched before I read.

I must say that I figured something out early in the book that took the detectives a long, long time to cotton to. Can't say what it was before the program airs! Most likely a lucky guess!
 There was a "red herring" clue that I fell for, too.  I leap to lots of conclusions, I suppose!

Several people mentioned all the coffee drinking.  On page 265, Nyberg says that he drinks more than 20 cups a day to keep his energy up.  Wallander answers "Police work wouldn't be possible without coffee"

I'm really hooked on this series now and will have to ferret out the rest of the books.

Frybabe

« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »
With any luck I will be able to see tonight's episode. No work here, so I am just about ready to go home. I don't want to repeat last episode  where I waited up to see the 1am showing and promptly fell asleep and missed the whole thing.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2009, 09:37:40 PM »
I just finished "One Step Behind." This will be the first one that I've read BEFORE the TV episode. I think this one was the best of the three I've read. I don't know if that's because I hadn't seen the TV version first. I'm looking forward to seeing how the TV version is similar to and different from the book.

I really like these novels. I too have questions about Swedish society from the information and comments in the novels.

Let's add the words spoiler alert to our posts if we give away any information about the book or tv show that someone might be surprised to know if they have not read the book or watched the show yet. I've done that for you, Frybabe, in your next post. I hope you don't mind.

Frybabe

« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2009, 10:36:54 PM »
SPOILER ALERT!

Well, THAT was depressing. Just finished watching One Step Behind. I hope the book has a little ray of sunshine in it somewhere.

Amazing acting by Branagh. I was upset by Svedberg's and Esa's deaths. I could see that Svedberg was trying to ask for help. Wallander and Esa were just beginning to acquire a certain rapport, emotionally opening up to each other.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2009, 01:23:05 PM »
Fybabe, I agree with you that the TV version of One Step Behind was depressing/sad. I didn't like the motive that was expressed by the murderer. It's different from the motive in the book.

I think that the TV version of One Step Behind differed the most from the book. I realize that they have to leave out a lot and change things in order to fit into a 90 minute TV format, and maybe they want to change things so that someone who has read the mystery might still have some surprises.

Since this was the first time I had read the book first, I don't know how much my impressions of the TV episode were colored by that but I didn't enjoy this TV episode as much as I have enjoyed the first two. What do you all think?

I don't want to give away too much about any of the books or TV episodes for those of you who have not finished reading/viewing.  I hope that we can discuss all of the books and episodes soon.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »
Remember that all three episodes are available for viewing online only through June 7. See http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/wallander/watch.html

EvelynMC

« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2009, 04:09:26 PM »
I finished "Firewall" Saturday night.  It was a good book.

I was prepared to watch "One Step Behind" last night, but at the last minute was unable to.  Sooo, I'm glad it will be available on-line for a few more days.  I'm looking forward to reading the book.

The implications of "who controls the electric grid controls the financial world, utilities, news, etc." is mind-boggling isn't it?

Evelyn

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2009, 04:44:35 PM »
I agree, Evelyn, that Firewall is very timely to our digital world's financial vulnerability. The original was written in 1998 but I think it's even more relevant to society today.

ALF43

« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »
Marcie, I am pleased to learn that the motive differed in the book from that on the TV show.  After it was over , I scratched my head and said "No way were all of those murders committed because of THAT!"  No way.  I agree with the terrific acting both by Branaugh and by the gal playing his daughter but other than that the plot left a lot to be desired.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

nlhome

« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2009, 10:01:47 PM »
I just finished One Step Behind, watched it on line.

It was sad.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2009, 01:20:13 AM »
I agree, Nlhome, about the TV version. The book is somewhat different (not to say that there isn't sadness in the book version; there are still the murders). You might want to read it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »

NLHOLME - Nan, your set of books are on the way.  I have three sets left if anyone is interested.  Nan, I just watched the final episode, One Step Behind and all I'm going to say - read the book!  No, maybe I should say this - we're among friends here.

I am astounded at the liberties the "adapter"  has taken with Henning Mankell's stories!  I think they are well acted, settings are superb - often breathtaking.  And I think we are given a true picture of modern Sweden.

BUT - I am confounded at the liberties taken with the story line.  For one thing, I don't understand why the series ended with the One Step Behind episode.  It was "sad", I'll agree with you.  BUT those who read the book know that this episode took place before the second episode - "Firewall."   Wallander has had the diabetes diagnosis, eats right, lost weight, etc.
Linda has reached a major career decision - she's going to become a policewoman.

Why not end on a more upbeat note?  I'm going to start to read "One Step Behind" tonight - to see why the third filmed episode left me cold...

ps  Andy, would you like a set of the books?

nlhome

« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2009, 10:44:27 PM »
Thanks, Joan. I'll look for them.
I keep hearing that line, "We should get a drink." Spoken at the beginning and the end - and it just seemed so sad - it's not the actual drink, it's the getting it together, I think.

Anyway, yes, I will read the book.

Thanks.

Nan

ALF43

« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2009, 08:13:11 AM »
JoanP- I thank you for your generous offering but no, I don't think I would like a set of the books.  I am inundated with books offered and sit idly by, patient for my attention. :D

Enjoy your babies at Disney.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »
Masterpiece was extremely generous providing Henning Mankell's books, along with the Kurt Branagh's film version of Wallander.

I understand, Andy - so many books, so little time.  But these books are exceptional.  Reading them ne can understand why they are the rage in Europe.  I'm not sure that the reason comes through in the adaptation.

Because they are so different, the written word and the adaptation,  I find myself wondering whether Masterpiece wanted us to see this difference -
or whether they thought we would experience Mankell's "policeman poet" in these two different media presentations. (Ella never called him a poet in the book - they hardly knew one another.)

The adaptation leaves so much of what I thought was important - on the cutting room floor. With a few exceptions.  The moving conversation  between Wallander and his dad (played by David Warner) does not  happen in the book. And  I don't think words could describe the breathtaking Swedish scenery.

I'm still reading "One Step Behind" - but am having the exact same feeling I had when viewing the film - this should have been Episode 2!  Wallander is experiencing the symptoms of diabetes - and has just been diagnosed.  He's trying to diet and exercise...  In Firewall, (Episode 2) Wallander  has succeeded - he's has lost weight, and feels much better.  His big problem in the book version of Firewall comes from his problems within the station - Detective Martinsson is trying to get him fired from his job - and Ann tips him off.  We miss all the tension within the police force without these scenes.  In  "One Step Behind", the two detectives  are working together - as if nothing has happened between them- because it hasn't!

One of my favorite and touching scenes in "Fireball" (the book)  was when W. came to the realization that others were better suited for his job - but then there was the delightful scene in Lisa's office, she was the (police chief) - who tried to get him to step aside during the investigation into the Eva Perrson incident - and he stood his ground, threatening to leave the case firewall alrogether.

Can someone explain to me what was gained by portraying  "One Step Behind" as Episode 3?  I feel I'm missing something!  How did you feel when Episode 3 ended?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2009, 12:21:23 AM »
SPOILER ALERT

Joan, I've been thinking about the decision to reverse the order the in which the books FIREWALL and ONE STEP BEHIND were written when they produced the TV version of those episodes. It might have been due to some technical reason (eg, the availability of one of the actors or something like that) If it was an intentional decision, I'm wondering if they wanted to end the 2009 series with something spectacular such as the hostage-taking of Linda and potential murder of her and/or Wallander. That scene wasn't in the book.

As I said before, I thought the book version of ONE STEP BEHIND was good. I didn't enjoy the TV episode. I don't think it was because of the order (though you are right, Joan, about Wallander's health issues and other events) but because of the motive that the TV version gave the killer.

Mippy

« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2009, 09:01:08 AM »
spoiler alert, also, agreeing with Marcie

I agree, the ending of ONE STEP ...  was not necessary to the plot, or even believable, whereas in the book the more drawn-out apprehension of the killer was more effective.   Actually the film of ONE STEP was the weakest of the three, and the book was excellent, in contrast.

I really liked the scenery in all three of the films, but the books are far superior, IMO.   I'm going to look for more of the series, even though usually I don't like to read police procedural mysteries.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2009, 11:28:49 PM »
The minute Linda said she'd get her dad a shirt you knew what was going to happen.  I'm glad I saw all three even though the first one left me befuddled.  I liked Firewall the best of the three. But I look forward to reading the books later this summer.  From what those of you who have read them have said, they sound much richer than the films could ever be.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
Mippy - I do agree with you - about the books and. the filmed version.  I heard an interesting interivew with the author, Henning Mankell - he was thrilled with the film adaptation!  The interview also included Kenneth Branagh, who told of his preparation for the Wallander role.  He read ALL of the books - in a ten day period!  He immersed himself in the character - and according to Mankell, he nailed it!

I'm thinking that there are two kinds of people who enjoy the Wallander series:  those who enjoy mysteries - especially those involving crime.  Such people certainly find plenty to like in the Wallander books - and film. And then there are those who get more involved in character development.  I have no quibble with Branagh's Wallander.  In fact, he is my Wallander I see when I read the books.  

It's just that you can get into his head in the books,  you can see exactly what he's thinking, feeling, what makes him sad, glad - how he is worried about his diabetes, which is all out of control in "One Step Behind" - but  he doesn't have the time to do anything about it - or even keep appointments because there aren't enough hours in the day to solve the crime.  

I think for those who are looking for more than crime-solving, the books are preferred.   Again, this is not to say that "we" don't care about crime solving  - we can hardly put the books down.  But I find there is a whole dimension to the books, that you don't  experience in the film.
Am I making any sense?

Pedln, your books are here waiting for your visit.  You'll be amazed how the befuddlement lifts!  I look forward to seeing you!

I still have two sets left - for the taking.  If anyone is interested, email me!  You'll love these books, I'm sure.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2009, 06:25:16 PM »
I definitely enjoyed the books. In fact, I've taken a couple more out of the library. I enjoy mysteries though, I have not read many. I also really like the character development of certain sleuths.

I enjoyed the TV version and, as you say Joan, Kenneth Branagh is now my vision of Wallander. Although I didn't like the motive of the killer in ONE STEP BEHIND in the TV version, it didn't stop me from appreciating some of the rest of that episode. I liked the other episodes. As you say, Mippy, the photography and scenery was great.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »
The minute Linda said she'd get her dad a shirt you knew what was going to happen. 

Yes, Pedln. I felt the same way when Linda said she would get her dad a clean shirt. It took a while for the action to get back to Linda in Wallander's apartment so I think that it worked okay in the plot.

JoanR

« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2009, 07:36:35 PM »
Thanks again for the Wallander books - they are terrific.  I read "One Step Behind" before I saw the show  -and what a difference!!!
Even the ending is different.  Also, in the book, Linda is not the one to go get the shirt.
  It is Ebba.
  How could Henning Mankell have been so pleased with the TV versions of his books when they changed or left out so much?  Unless of course it was it was Kenneth Branagh with whom he was pleased and not necessarily the script.  Branagh really IS Wallander, isn't he?  A great job.

Thanks for the chronological list of the Wallander books.  The first one of them that my library has is "The Dogs of Riga".  In this one, Wallander meets Baiba who is in all the rest of the books  it would seem and has become the love of his life, apparently.  Also Svedberg is alive and well which made me feel a bit sad since now I know his fate.  A good reason to read a series in the proper sequence!

I do wonder which books they will choose for the next PBS series.  Anyone know?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2009, 09:11:26 PM »
JoanR - I wish had had found the time to read "One Step Behind" before seeing the film.  I've just finished Part I in the book and already so much of what I saw in the film is finally making sense.  There is SO MUCH in the book that wasn't there in the film, or maybe I just missed.   I remember seeing the three young people's corpses unearthed, but don't remember seeing them all set up as they were at the original party...with the wine glasses freshly filled.  All of this escaped me when I saw it.
I cannot turn these pages fast enough to see what happens next - and I SAW the FILM already!

Was Baiba ever mentioned in the films?

What's next - take a look and tell if you are interested in receiving the books.  I don't think I've read much of Agatha Christie - though I've seen countless tv presentations.  I'm  wondering now whether the books are more satisfying an experience than the films!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2009, 11:39:32 PM »
The scene where they found the three bodies in the beginning of the TV episode went by very quickly. I don't think they gave us any details. The book had lots of details regarding that murder.

I don't recall that Baiba, Wallander's "girlfriend" from Latvia, was mentioned in the TV versions.

I can't wait until next Spring for the next Wallander mysteries. I'm already missing the series!

What fun to talk about Agatha Christie next!!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
Those look like good Agatha Christies, JoanP.  And with a new Miss Marple, Julia McKenzie. The last Agatha Christie series on PBS, with Geraldine Paige, was not well-received.  Paige was fine, but the mysteries themselves were very loosely based on the books.

Hopefully that will not be the case with this upcoming series.  I've always enjoyed David Suchet as Hercule Poirot, and at any rate, it's always interesting to compare the different versions. The other day I checked out from the library a much older version of Mrs. McGinty's Dead, called here, Murder Most Foul.  Marple is played by Margaret Rutherford and she is a surprisingly obtrusive, annoying Miss Marple.  Not at all the Jane Marple I know.

Now to figure out the taping because I'm out of town most of those dates.  Set the VCR and pray for no thunderstorms or power outages.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: June 06, 2009, 01:07:56 AM »
The 3 episodes of Wallander  with Kenneth Branagh are available on DVD with extras. See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001VLBDB2/inspectorwall-20

I've seen one of the Miss Marple's with Margaret Rutherford andI agree, Pedln, that she was a very odd Miss Marple. It will be interesting to see the new version.