Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

Holiday Drop In Open House

<< < (2/37) > >>

nlhome:
One of my favorites this year was A Man Called Ove, which I bought as a joke for my sisters (I usually get them a book to share back and forth and then pass on to my aunt, and the blurb said something about a grumpy old man, which would fit certain people in their lives) but which they both enjoyed so much then insisted I read it next. And I did enjoy it.
But a second is The Seventeen Second Miracle, which a casual friend insisted I would like. I thought it would be soppy sweet, but it isn't really. Both are books I'd recommend.

bellamarie:
I have read a couple of books that just simply made me never want them to end, but since I have to pick one as a favorite, I choose the book that sat in a box of books a very sweet friend gave to me years ago I forgot about, and decided to look in the box just this summer.  My choice is... Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.  This was simply one of the best books I think I have ever read.  It is about two girls who share their secrets, hopes and dreams with each other, and bond like sisters.  I did not want this book to ever end.  I laughed, cried and related to so many of the things these two girls shared as teens, and then into their adult lives.  It really made me cherish my best friends even more than I thought possible.  Oh heavens forbid, I just saw there is a sequel to this book called Fly Away!  How did I not know this?  That is going on my Christmas wish list!

ANNIE:
Hello, everyone!  Couldn't fall asleep tonight so i decided to look in on our Holiday Homecoming.  So,unable to remember the title of one of my favorite books read this year, I jumped out of bed to look up the title and while I was up, I decided I was hungry, so had to have a bowl of cereal and I just got back in bed.

My favorite book for 2016 was "All The Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. A book that Ella mentioned many times here on SL.  The author entwines two totally different stories about a blind girl growing up in France and a poor boy but brilliant, growing up in Germany before WWII and of course, how they meet during the war.  Doerr has a magical genius for telling a spellbinding story. I can't wait to read more of his books. He has won many awards for his writing.  I can't understand why I've never heard his name before.

Oh, I wanted to say that I too am in my p.j's but unlike Bella, I am not ready for Christmas!  Gadzooks, Bella! When do you find time to sleep?? Guess I better get crackin'! We have always hosted that day with a bring-a-dish-to-pass dinner.  My son's wife and two daughters always make
up a menu and they choose the meat and whatever goes with it!  The rest of us just choose one or two things from the menu!  Jane's dad bakes cookies but I always choose pies.  Fruit pies!

Good grief! Look at the time!  Nitey nite!😄😄😄

bellamarie:
Annie, I was just looking at that book on Amazon trying to decide if I want to buy it.  This is what I read about the book: It won the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the 2015 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction. Wikipedia  I'm trying to decide if I should read the book before seeing the movie.  I generally like the books better

Here is the movie trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALjnZ0F9Pow

I think I may have been sleeping while you were up having a bowl of cereal!  Hope you finally got a good night sleep.   :)

PeggyCasing:
My favorite book of THIS year is an odd favorite, of sorts.  It is Blood Brothers, by Elias Chacour, with David Hazard.  It is autobiographical, but written in a way that conveys the story of Israel and Palestine from the "inside."  Chacour has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize three times, and it is easy to see why.  For me, this is one of those books that opens new ways of seeing the world, and it makes me acutely aware of the fact that I need to learn more about world history.  I think the thing that will stay with me the most is all about perspective.  A freedom fighter can be called a rebel, depending on perspective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version