Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2017 - 2018  (Read 33255 times)

bellamarie

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2017 - 2018
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2018, 12:28:40 PM »
I absolutely love the story Little Women.  I went with my daughter to see the 1994 movie in the theaters when it first came out.  I have the entire collection from Ashton Drake of Little Women porcelain dolls.  Jo was my favorite character.  Her relationship with Laurie was just so sweet. I need to see if I have PBS on my Direct TV.

I was never able to get into Call of the Midwife.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2018, 08:09:13 PM »
YES!!! Netflix has Season 6, the new one, of Father Brown the 2017 one, which really just stopped being aired in January)!!! It starts with the famous new  Christmas Episode called The Tree of Truth with a return of a character everybody loves.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! I was choosing an episode from the last 5 years when I saw all 6 seasons listed and Season 6 is the one we've been waiting for here in the US.

If you have Netflix, enjoy!

CallieOK

« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »
Season 6 of what, Ginny?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2018, 09:47:46 PM »
:) I was so excited I failed to say!!

Father Brown!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll add that above.

CallieOK

« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »
Thanks!   ;D

bellamarie

« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2018, 12:44:03 PM »
Rosemary,  I just found Father Brown on Netflix and am watching S1 E1, The Hammer of God.  I will probably binge watch to catch up to the current season.  The first scenes reminded me of the book we recently read The Warden Barchester Towers by Trollpe.  For those who are not familiar with the show this is what it says:

Father Brown is a fictional Roman Catholic priest and amateur detective who is featured in 53 short stories published between 1910 and 1936 written by English novelist G. K. Chesterton. Father Brown solves mysteries and crimes using his intuition and keen understanding of human nature. Chesterton loosely based him on the Rt Rev. Msgr. John O'Connor (1870–1952), a parish priest in Bradford, who was involved in Chesterton's conversion to Catholicism in 1922.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Brown
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2018, 09:26:48 PM »
Oh I just watched the first one of the 2018 Father Browns, the Christmas Episode and it was just.....wonderful.

I defy anybody to watch that thing and not shed a tear or two, it's so dear.  I hope that show goes on for 20 more  years.

bellamarie

Frybabe

« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2018, 04:31:27 PM »
Here is the list of books for the Great American Read. http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/

I've read 21 of them and have four in my TBR pile.

mabel1015j

« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2018, 11:26:34 AM »
A nice, thorough review of Little Women

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y6vrmx2b

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2018, 08:49:20 AM »
Fans of Father Brown, rejoice!  There's to be a new series coming out January 2019!!! I hope it has 25 episodes. I love the way they film it, they are a small budget thing (for some reason, tho it's the most popular BBC production now in the world since it's been exported all over) they film in whatever weather conditions there are, rain, snow, you name it. Love it.

And now we know where Sid is, he's appearing in the new smash hit Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in London. He  plays Malfoy grown up. Here's an interview with him: https://www.pottermore.com/news/cursed-child-alex-price-interview

I tried to get tickets to it when in London to no avail. There are two performances the same day if I understand it, in the morning and then at night. You  do them together or separately, I could get tickets to neither.

I came in to say I saw a remark by  David Sedaris that he had read neither Dickens or the Bible and he'd have to be in prison or something,  if I remember correctly,  to read either (but he's a humorist) but that reminded me that I had not finished Dickens's  Bleak House nor the Masterpiece Theater rendition of it, and so I did. That is the most magnificent production.

I did not know who Gillian Anderson was but golly moses what she did  with Lady Deadlock's part,  and Charles Dance as the villain Mr. Tulkinghorn, (there will never be a better one),  is unforgettable..not to mention Smallwood! I'll never see the name Smallwood again without thinking of that characterization.

Now am reading the real book, since those characters are  indelibly in my mind.  Bleak House was filmed in divisions (if I  understood a Charles Dance interview correctly) to emulate the way Dickens brought it out originally. And the Masterpiece Theater production has a lovely ending scene...just a great production.

And I will have to say since we're talking theater (or I am hahaha) that I was thrilled to see Mark Rylance up for a Tony for best actor and his wife's play up for one for Best Play for Farinelli and the King on Broadway in this year's  Tony's. Even tho he and it did not win, (and had more nominations, too)  it was the most unforgettable night at the theater I've spent in a long time. Never saw anything like it, and was so happy to see him and it included in the nominations.

And PBS is showing an old?  Best British Bake Off  with Mary and Paul I've never seen starting this Friday at 9 pm, so if you like that show you'd want to watch it, if it's listed on your area programs.

Lots of great stuff on PBS. . Now they  need Antiques Road  Trip with James Braxton, and  we'll be all set. :)

Bow_Belle

« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2018, 07:05:03 AM »
Hi
noticing Article about PBS. I just wanted to say that I stumbled on the ~channel here in the UK some months ago and have been absolutely impressed with all the fine programmes you have on this channel. I always used to watch the channel over 40 years ago when I lived off shore about 100 miles from Miami!