Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Talking Heads ~ Twitter

(1/18) > >>

BooksAdmin:
Talking Heads #5
"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A two week  forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper articles, online: bring your ideas and let's discuss.
Our Fifth  Selection is:     
Do You Tweet? 
USA Today

--- Quote ---"What are you doing?" is the question Twitter asks "Twitterers" to answer in a simple text message as they connect with friends, co-workers or the wider world. Twitterers "tweet" about everything from what they had for lunch to how much they enjoyed their latest Netflix DVD. If that sounds silly and incredibly narrow at first, don't worry, you're not alone.

"When people hear about Twitter, their immediate reaction is that it's the simplest and stupidest idea in the world," says co-founder Biz Stone.

"They do not want to know that their brother is eating a hot dog right now," he says. "But then they discover that their friends are on it. And so are the L.A. Fire Department, NASA and JetBlue. Then they get it.
--- End quote ---

Do YOU get it? Do YOU "Tweet?" (which is what they call a post).  Have you ever even looked at it? Millions do.

What is the appeal of Twitter, really?

You can only post 140 characters at a time, which may lead to conciseness OR perhaps more abbreviations.

What is it doing to the language? Why aren't you doing it? Want to try once?

Let's discuss the latest Internet Phenomenon: Twitter!

But what IS Twitter? Here is a video which explains it, see what you think: http://www.commoncraft.com/Twitter   

ginny:
Welcome to our Fifth in a series of Op/Ed opinions which are generated by any written media!

Today we're talking Twitter! What is it? What's the appeal? Have you ever looked at it? Do you, in fact, ever "Tweet?"

Recently if you tuned in to Larry King to see the new 48 year old  singing sensation  from Great Britain you found yourself looking at Ashton Kutcher, (sp?) husband of Demi Moore, who had won a Twittering Contest with a huge band of followers, beating out CNN.

Er....is this a generation thing?

Larry King went on also or so it says.

A recent article in several places including the LA Times: (http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/03/business/fi-twitter3) mentioned that ONE draw of the site might be the "celebrities" posting their thoughts there, and the need we as people have to feel "close" to them.

If this is true,  is it a good or bad sign?

In this displaced world we live in where perfect strangers attend funerals of people they don't know, what is Twitter actually doing for us?

Your thoughts are welcome and you don't have to confine them to 140 characters. :)

Welcome!

mrssherlock:
Is that Ginny posting?  Halleluyah!  We joked that noting could keep you down for long but I'm surprised to see you back so soon.  Overjoyed, in fact.  Now I'll read the article.

maryz:
Wonderful to have Ginny back at her computer!

I don't do Twitter, and don't plan to do so, but will hang in with the discussion.

ginny:
Thank you Jackie, you are so kind. And thank you Mary, I appreciate that.

I've just put this in the heading, it's quite revealing. If you have no experience with Twitter, play this but pay attention to what the goals and benefits seem to be?

http://www.commoncraft.com/Twitter   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version