Author Topic: Masterpiece: 2019-2020  (Read 9245 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Masterpiece: 2019-2020
« on: January 04, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »

See the 2019 MASTERPIECE schedule

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

UPCOMING

Mrs Wilson
March 31 (Episodes 1 and 2) and April 7 (Episode 3), 2019

Starring Ruth Wilson (Jane Eyre), Mrs. Wilson is a powerful three-part drama inspired by the memoir of Ms. Wilson’s grandmother and family history.

Set in 1940s and 1960s London and 1930s India, the series follows Alison Wilson, who thinks she is happily married until her husband, Alec, dies and a woman turns up on the doorstep claiming that she is the real Mrs. Wilson. Alison is determined to prove the validity of her own marriage – and Alec’s love for her – but is instead led into a world of disturbing secrets.

ginny

• Administrator
Re: Masterpiece: 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 03:48:00 PM »
 I just saw a notice today that the BBC is releasing today the new Series of Father Brown, series 7,  for those of you who like the show.  I ran to Netflix but to no avail, it's not there yet, and I'll check PBS, but it's done and out and that's very exciting! It won't be long before we can see it, too!

It's apparently just now showing on BBC1. 10 Episodes, Morris Dancers, can't wait!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 05:51:51 PM »
I wonder how long it will be before we get them on PBS. here in C/U. ?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 08:20:36 PM »
Can't be too much longer, they started in January, there were 8  episodes, I think,  no I'm wrong, there are 10, and once they all air they appear on Netflix and then PBS almost immediately.  Can't WAIT!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 06:22:03 PM »
Hi, all

This Sunday, PBS is showing the first two episodes of a new program, Mrs. Wilson.

See a review at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/mrswilson/mrswilson.html

Spoiler alert. The PBS website contains details about the program that you might want to wait to see until after you see at least the first episode. There is a trailer and lots of background information.

We're also giving away the review DVD of all three episodes of "Mrs Wilson."

To enter for a chance to win the DVD, post a message in this discussion during the first two weeks of April. Let us know what you think of Mrs Wilson or which programs you have enjoyed watching over the years or currently watch on PBS.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »
What did you all think of the first episodes? What a shock for all the families involved! I had to remind myself that the program is based on a true story.

If you missed them, the episodes are available for viewing online at https://www.pbs.org/video/episode-1-ekpylk/

nlhome

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
Who viewed this? The preview looked very interesting.

nlhome

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 07:57:52 AM »
So last night, because I'm not a basketball fan, I watched the first episode of Mrs. Wilson. This afternoon I will watch the 2nd, and maybe tonight I'll be able to watch the final one. I definitely got caught up in the story.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »
It's HERE, it's HERE, it's HERE! Father Brown Season 7, from March 2019, Episode 1!!  Saturday night at 8-9 PM!

Your local PBS station!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Finally!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 07:01:09 PM »
 I decided to put this here, also, since I couldn't stand it and have now watched both of the new series:

The  first Father Brown of season 7 was cute, robbery on the train, lots of laughs...good stuff as always, Lady Felicia and Mrs. McCarthy.  I'm so glad Lady Felicia is back.

But I think the Doc Martin new season one  was even better, it was the one...about 4 or 5 into the new season with the boat race, really good. I may be prejudiced,  a  couple of friends and I stayed in Port Isaac (Portwenn  in the movie) years ago for a month in a National Trust Rental...it is at the  small castle (Doyden  Castle) where Mrs. Tichell took the baby if you saw that one, not in the castle itself  which is really just a folly but in the large house (Doyden House) which is smack on the edge of a cliff and which  owns the little castle  and shares the same drive  but is not visible in the Doc Martin film.  Port Isaac's a magic place, or it was. I am so glad they film there and I hope their filming has  increased the revenues of the place a million times.

I haven't been back for  years but if you drive it's a perfect place to  explore all of Cornwall and  you can walk to Port Isaac on the...the trail  has a name, but I can't recall it,  and you see as  you approach Port Isaac the same shots they show in the opening of the show. I couldn't do that walk again, I don't think, but it's a great memory. 

After each of these new episodes on PBS there is another small one, or there is here,  behind the scenes,  about the filming or something to do with the show: it's produced with interviews and shots of filming and showing the excited people watching in the street and everybody  looks SO happy filming... Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) playing with the dogs (he loves dogs, unlike his character) and it's just so much fun to watch.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 03:14:40 PM »
Here's the schedule for 2020 for PBS:

Masterpiece Schedule 2020