Author Topic: Latin Class Information:2020  (Read 12800 times)

ClassicsAdmin

• TopicManager
Latin Class Information:2020
« on: June 12, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »
LATIN CLASSES INFORMATION

Have you always wanted to learn Latin but thought it was too late? Or did you take it years ago, remember it fondly, and wish you could enjoy it again?

We currently offer Latin classes at many different levels, and we have much more information about the Latin classes on the following pages here at SeniorLearn.  Even though our classes are not visible to the public, you can click on each of the links below and be taken right to the classics part of this website.

Classics

Courses description page:  COURSES DESCRIPTION

Although our classes are offered for enjoyment, some students are eligible to take the National Latin Exam.   We are very proud of our students--those who took the test and those who didn't. They all exemplify a love of lifelong learning, and achievement. You can read about it all here: 
www.seniorlearn.org/classics/awards/latinexamawards.html

If you want to be notified when enrollment opens for the fall 2021 classes, please email janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

You might want to come to our discussions area and join in any of our book discussions.  It will help you become familiar with the website and how posting is done, etc.

Ask any questions you have below.

Click here for Main Index Page

"I am still amazed on a daily basis that an opportunity like this is available. Although I suppose it's theoretically possible to study Latin on your own, I know I couldn't make it very far without this kind of supported environment, most importantly having such quality teaching! Having your explanations, your kind corrections of our mistakes, your encouragement -- it's really as close to being in an actual classroom as I can imagine."---Christy, Latin student at SeniorLearn.

jane
Registrar~Latin
janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

Kundun

• Chef/ Cheese monger
Re: Latin Class Information: 2020
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 11:46:42 PM »
Hello...I’m very interested in starting my journey to learning Latin. I’ve registered and have a username and would appreciate being kept in the loop as to when the the registration for class is. Regards.
En garde..pret..attack em first and attack em fast.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
Hi, Kundun,
I'll be glad to add you to my list to be notified when enrollment for Latin opens in mid July or so.

I'm going to send you an email now with information, to make sure you have seen everything you need to before enrolling. 

It'll also have my email you can use if some question comes up.

PS...I just looked at your email and we've been in touch this morning, so you have the information!! 8)

jane

Paul

• Paul
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 06:04:38 AM »
Good morning,

I am very interested in learning Latin 101 for multiple reasons and would like to be informed when the Fall 2020 class begins.

Thank you!
Paul

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 11:32:49 AM »
Hi, Paul,
 I will send an email your way with information and links and I'll add you to my list to be notified when enrollment opens in mid July.   The email coming will be from JaneiowaLatin@gmail.com

Welcome to SeniorLearn!!

jane

MP_

• Mike
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 11:53:58 AM »
Hello
I'm very pleased to have found such a site as yours. To learn along with other seniors is a great idea.

I'm hoping that you will have a place for me in your beginners Latin course this coming September (2020).  I'm a retired music teacher with some experience of learning Romance languages.  My schoolboy latin is in need of refreshment and this platform seems ideal.

Many thanks
Mike

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 02:15:40 PM »
Hi, Mike! 

We're delighted you've found us.  I will be sending you information about our program and enrollment info (which will begin in mid July.)  You've already accomplished the first "requirement"....establishing a username.  So, you're already ahead of the curve.

The email will come from JaneiowaLatin@gmail.com so please add that to your contacts as that is the email we use for enrolling and the support side of the Latin classes. 

Welcome aboard!

jane

Cory M

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 08:01:42 AM »
Salve!
I'm new to the site and see enrollment is for 2021. Does that mean classes are full for 2020?

I have 4 years of high school German, but love the sound of Latin. I am looking forward to learning about it.

Thanks
Cory
NE

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
Hi, Cory...

YIKES! I got ahead of myself...

We'll be opening enrollment for 2020-2021 in mid July.  I'll send you an email from janeiowaLatin@gmail.com with information about that, and I'll add you to my list to be notified when enrollment opens next month.

Welcome!!

jane

Sally

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 12:33:14 PM »
Hi!

I'm ready to get back in there and get busy! May I be added to the list to be informed when registration begins?

Hope you're having a great day, and many more to come!

Sally
Sally from Indiana

If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always be where you’ve always been!

Kristinedm

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 09:52:45 AM »
Hi,
I am excited to request that my name be added to the waitlist for Latin 101 for 2020. I am so glad I found the site by browsing in the internet on ways for adults to learn Latin.
Many thanks.

Kris

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 03:43:49 PM »
Hi, Sally and Kristine...

You'll both be getting emails from me this next week with links to enrollment. 

In the meantime, stay safe and healthy!

jane

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 02:17:47 PM »
ENROLLMENT FOR LATIN 101 for the 2020-2021 academic year is now open.  Those who asked to be notified will also receive the following by email for the address they gave me.  PLEASE read this entire post before enrolling.  THANKS!!   ;D

-------

Welcome to Seniorlearn Latin!

To explain some terminology I use:
REGISTRATION means you have established a username for use at the SeniorLearn website for posting in all public discussions.    You can do that here: https://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?action=register

If you have not registered a username, please do so before enrolling.  We ask you NOT to use your email address as that’s just too long and complicated to use in addressing someone or as a login name to the site. Please select something easy to remember for you and the Instructor and your classmates.  A first name with last initial, a grandchild’s name, a pet’s name, a nickname, etc. are all good choices…if someone hasn’t already registered that name.  If so, you may need to add a number to your chosen name…i.e., MaryBeth456

ENROLLMENT means you are enrolling for a Latin class. You have a username (see above),  have paid the $50.00 fee, ordered the required text, and are all ready for Orientation.

The enrollment period will last until  September 6.   You'll find the enrollment link at the end of this email, but please read the information below first, even if I've sent this to you before.  Please.  ;)

There will be an Orientation for new enrollees will run from Sept. 6-9.  You will receive an email with a link to this the week before.   During that Orientation, I help you become familiar with our website and show you the folder where your class, assignments, pronunciation, presentations, etc. will be located.  Please mark your calendar if you decide to enroll, so we can get all this "finding how to do things" out of the way before Ginny, your Instructor, begins class on Thursday, Sept. 10.  She gets right into Latin, so "how do I post?" and similar questions need to be asked during the Orientation.

Please read carefully the links below which will give you general information about our classes.  The second one will also explain what our classes are and are not and what makes ours different from others out there.
It is imperative that you use the exact ISBN and edition numbers below for the text Ginny uses.

Text: Our text is the new lavishly illustrated Cambridge Latin Series Unit I North American Fourth  Edition,  paperback ISBN: 978-0-521-00434-3, which is available in all prices on bookfinder4u.com

It is imperative that you get the NORTH AMERICAN 4th edition.

Please do not,if buying a used paperback,(since Amazon has them fairly reasonably new), accept one with any writing in it at all.

https://www.seniorlearn.org/classics

https://www.seniorlearn.org/classics/courses/descriptions.html

Please understand that our classes are conducted on a bulletin-board forum.
We like this style because all posts (comments, explanations, etc.) stay and can be re-read as needed or wanted.

This is a long-established format on the internet, and one that students need to be willing to adjust to.  As with any educational undertaking, students must be self-motivated to want to learn, to understand Latin is a discipline and be willing to follow directions, to be willing to do the work and practice required to master the new grammar and vocabulary of Latin.  It's worth the effort.  The information is not sent by email.  It's on our website in the form of assignments and a classroom within a Latin area that is open only to those enrolled in the class, the Instructor and her support staff.  We do an Orientation a few days before the classes start to help the students become familiar with our format and answer any questions they may still have. The date for this is at the top of this email.

Students are expected to do the assignments and either post their responses in the classroom discussion or email them to the Instructor as she directs.

The Instructor is present for the 2 days each week- Monday and Thursday- that the class meets, and there is often practice work to be done on other days. The Instructor does not simply follow the Cambridge text. She provides much additional explanation, gentle correction, etc. as students post their practice/ drills/translations of the week's work.  We try, as closely as possible, to replicate a bricks and mortar classroom.

Students come from all different time zones, so there is no precise time on a given day when you must appear.  Students come into the class as their schedules permit.  We offer the option of a daytime class or, for those who are working or living in western or Pacific time zones, the option for a class after 6:00 pm (Eastern Time.) IF THERE IS SUFFICIENT INTEREST IN THIS TIME SLOT.  This is on the enrollment form and you need to choose one or the other.

This is not a "do it when you feel like it" class. The class moves at the pace set by the teacher, based on the students' mastery of the material. For this reason, the entire semester's assignments are not laid out at the beginning.    She usually gives a week's assignments in advance, but may change that as students encounter problem areas that need more explanation and practice.  This is necessary because Ginny wants mastery of the work, not just covering xxx number of pages, whether the students understand the concept or not.  This is what good teachers do everywhere, and what we want for our students.

The cost for this year of Latin study is $50.00 for the academic year (Sept.-May).  At enrollment you will be asked to pay.  You can send a check to the following address

SeniorLearn
PO Box 341
Pauline, SC 29374

or pay by your credit card at our PayPal site:  You do NOT need to have a paypal account.  You are using SeniorLearn's.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6837202

IF you have any questions or concerns, please email me with them now, before you enroll.

The email for Latin support (not Latin questions :) ) is janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

Our enrollment link for Latin 101 is here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/V2HX8D5

If you have had extensive formal Latin study and feel you might be better placed at a higher level, please email me and we'll arrange for you and Ginny to work together to find the best placement for you.

For those in the program, the link for upper level enrollment is in the email I sent you and in your previous class, or email me at janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

CKScoville

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 04:36:45 PM »
Looking forward to Latin 101! Although I studied Latin in prep school over 55 years ago, never studied it afterward. Instead, I majored in French in college and taught high school French for three years after college. I missed Latin, though, and loved the language. Glad to have the opportunity to relearn it!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 04:41:30 PM »
I think you'll really enjoy the class!

jane

Kundun

• Chef/ Cheese monger
Re: Latin Class Information:2020
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 05:43:09 PM »
Get Username and password - check
Enroll - check
Get textbook - check
Submit payment - check
Worry if you're in over your head -check
Still stoked to be trying something wayyyyy outside your box -check

Come on September 10th .. let's get here and get this done ..
En garde..pret..attack em first and attack em fast.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 10:11:07 AM »
All set and ready to  go    check

enthusiastic     check

Sept. 10...well, for you Sept 6 for the Orientation with yours truly    check

Stultus

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 09:45:26 AM »
I am so excited about this class.  I studied Latin in the Late '60's and early 70's.  I loved it and am looking forward to joining a class. I tried to study from Wheelock on my own, but missed class interactions. 

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 03:36:12 PM »
Hi, Stultus....

We're looking forward to having you join us!  The way you posted here is exactly how it'll work in the class.  Please look around the site and post in whatever discussions you see that interest you.

jane

Dixie

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 03:06:16 PM »
Hi Jane,
I am trying to return to Latin 1. I've been away for a few years. How do I get started.

Dixie

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2020, 03:07:40 PM »
My husband Robert "Josh" might have registered me...

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2020, 08:46:47 PM »
Hi, Stacey,

Josh did enroll you and I can easily change that to 101.  Would you prefer daytime or after 6?

jane

mctier

• Vive! Ama! Ride!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2020, 11:29:03 PM »
Salve,
I’m back because I love Latin & everything it encompasses. I was watching jeopardy on tv & realized I recalled a lot of words. Someday I would love to visit Pompeii & see all the antiquities.
I’d like to become fluent in Latin.  Anyway glad to meet you. I’m retired, dabble in watercolor &
Acrylic painting & all sorts of arts & crafts.
🌺McTier
Cogito, ergo sum

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
We're delighted you're back with us, Char!

jane

sraposa

• ~
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2020, 01:56:48 PM »
The survey monkey link above is "closed" but I'd still love to get into the upcoming class if possible.  I've already registered and am ordering the book. I will send payment once I know I can still get in.  Thanks, Susan
Susan

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2020, 02:49:30 PM »
Hi, Susan,
I believe we've communicated by email.  I've opened the enrollment for you and hope you can do that quickly, as I'm already about finished with assigning the classrooms. 

Thanks,

jane

RobCal

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 05:13:27 PM »
HI - RobCal here. Looking forward to the course. Worked for a large company for many years, and now I am a part-time professor at two NY area universities. Always wanted to learn latin.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 08:10:56 PM »
Hi, Rob,

Use your link and come over to the Latin 101 area and introduce yourself and see the Assignment for today.

https://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php#c64

will take you to the area where you'll see:

Click on Assignments AND the link inside that you see after the first click.

Click on that link, and the Assignments will open for you.  Read all the way to the end where you'll see the two assignments given for yesterday and today.

Then use your back arrow to go back to the two orange links and this time click on the Latin 101 link.

You'll see

CLICK on the Orientation Room, read all the posts to the end, then click REPLY and post your answers to the two assignments and any questions you have.

That'll get you up to date.

GrayceSr

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2020, 11:37:21 AM »
GrayceSr here.  My first time trying to post something.  I live in Sebring Florida and am interested in trying to reacquaint myself with Latin since 1963 9th grade!  Haven't figured this all out yet.  Hoping the Reply button works for me!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »
It worked fine, Grayce...and I saw your post over in the Orientation Room.  You've GOT IT!  Now check the Assignments and you'll be all set.

Shannon

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2020, 05:55:15 AM »
Hello! I was very excited to find your site and hear about this Latin learning program. I will assume that I am much too late to begin this session's lessons, but if there is any hope that I could catch up, please let me know. Otherwise, I will patiently wait for next year.

Thank you!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2020, 11:46:18 AM »
Hi, SHannon....As you know from my email, I’ve added you to my list to notify when enrollment opens in mid summer.  Please do read the links in that email, and email me with any questions.

Merry Christmas,

Jane

Shannon

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2020, 05:50:12 AM »
Merry Christmas to you, Jane!

I don't think I received an email, but I will stay tuned for mid-summer enrollment. I will check again to see if it went into a spam folder. Thank you for your help!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »
Shannon,

Let me know and I’ll send @nother.  It has links of info you need to know.

Merry Christmas,

Jane

lingua

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2021, 02:41:23 PM »
When does the next Latin 101 begin?

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2021, 12:04:23 PM »
Hi, Lingua,
The next Latin classes begin in Sept. 2021 with enrollment opening in mid July.  The required Orientation is one week before the start of the class.  I'll email you some info and links so you have the full story on our classes and how they work.

Welcome aboard!

jane

lingua

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2021, 01:24:39 PM »
Thank you Jane

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2021, 03:38:26 PM »
I hope you got the email ok.  At any time you have any questions or concerns, just email me at

janeiowaLatin@gmail.com

and I'll do my best to answer or find the answer for you.

jane

parislexi

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 03:10:28 PM »
Good Afternoon!

I took Latin for 6 years over 50 years ago (Junior + Senior High School) and loved it.
I was extremely surprised and happy to find this site!
How can I get enrolled in your next class?   :)

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2021, 04:23:01 PM »
ParisLexi,

I'll send you an email from janeiowaLatin @gmail.com with all the information you need.  Please be on the lookout for it.

jane