Archives & Readers' Guides > Archives of Book Discussions

People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 15 ~ Book Club Online

(1/38) > >>

BooksAdmin:
Everyone is welcome to join us - July 15!  See you then?
People of the Book - by Geraldine Brooks
      You'll fall in love with  Hanna Heath,  Geraldine Brooks'  edgy  Aussie rare book expert with an attitude, a loner with a real passion for her work.  How could she refuse this opportunity of a lifetime, the conservation of the beautifully illustrated Sarajevo  Haggadah, the mysterious Hebrew manuscript, created in Spain in the 15th century?
Never mind that the invitation will bring her into war-torn Bosnia in the spring of 1996, not to mention the world of fine art forgers and international fanatics.  
Her intuitive investigation  of the manuscript will put her in a time capsule to medieval Spain and  then back to Northern Australia again with a number of stops along the way. You should know that this is based on the travels of an actual manuscript, which has surfaced over the centuries since its creation in Spain,  in  Venice, Vienna and then in Bosnia in 1940.

Oh, and did we mention that this is a love story?

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Ann , JoanK,  & Traudee

JoanP:
This is one of the top two books SeniorLearners voted for last month.

Couldn't wait until July - I just had to start reading as soon as I picked it up.

I'm sure you will love Hanna Heath and her amazing discoveries.  I'm having a hard time distinguishing between fact and fiction - maybe that's why it's such a page turner.
The stroy line is great  - but there is so much to learn about each of the historical periods in which the book turns up.  

This is one of those books that really lends itself to group discussion.  Are you in?   The more the merrier.

Gumtree:
Please count me in...A book  written by an Aussie Sheila about a beautiful book and its history - and as icing on the cake our distinguished discussion leaders - what more could we want. Please count me in.

And JoanP - I wonder whether you have considered asking Geraldine Brooks to join the party in some way. She comes across as being very approachable.

straudetwo:
Good Morning!

My introduction to this author was Brooks' historical novel March(about the American Civil War), which our local group discussed two years ago.  
Right then and there I decided to read everything Brooks has written, beginning with Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women, 1996, and would write.

Yes, count me in.

JoanP:
Traudee, not only have you read Geraldine Brooks' work - (her "March" won a Pulitzer Prize) - but now I hear that you have actually lived in Venice for a time after the war.  Aren't we fortunate that you will be contributing to the chapters on Venice where the book turned up in the 17th century.

Gum, welcome to the conservatory - and what a good suggestion.  It is my understanding that the Aussie author now lives in the US - on Martha's Vineyard - a lovely spot indeed.   I like your idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version