Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 162657 times)

Steph

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #960 on: October 20, 2009, 08:30:40 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

I remember when I owned the bookstore, that Diane Gabaldon was impossible to keep in stock.. Never tried her, but may.. We will see. I am so far behind in books just now.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

CallieOK

« Reply #961 on: October 20, 2009, 10:12:27 PM »
I bought my copy of "Outlander" in the book store at Culloden Battlefield near Inverness Scotland.  It is titled "Cross Stitch" - exactly the same text.

Steph

« Reply #962 on: October 21, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »
M any books have different titles in Great Britain.. No idea why, except there are some concepts that are stated differently there.

mrssherlock

« Reply #963 on: October 21, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »
Some of you may have read Michael Chabon's  The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay about the early days of the comic book industry.  I'm reading a book which sort of tells the story from the fan's perspective.  Dream City by Brendan Short tells the story of six-yr-old Michael Hannigan who lives and dreams about the comics in the Sunday funny papers which his mother reads to him each week, helping him learn to read them himself.  These characters remain his mental companions throughout his childhood and now into adulthood.  His is a terrible life, his father is abusive and an alcoholic who cares for him after the death of his mother in tragic circumstances.  Yet the story is compelling.  Having his internal dialogs with his idols, particularly Flash Gordon, keeps us in touch with the tender 6 yr-old and we hope that his life will turn for the better.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #964 on: October 21, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
You’re right, Steph, Letter from Home is not much of a mystery, but I did enjoy the book itself for its story and the teen-age journalist that it focused on.  My f2f group read Sandra Dallas’ Tall Grass right about the same time, and it was interesting to read the two WWII stories set in locations not too far apart, both dealing with young people.

Callie, At one point I really enjoyed reading the Carolyn Hart Death on Demand series, but it’s probably a case of a series being overdone.  Actually, too much cutesy poo.  Henrie O  I liked, and talked my f2f group into reading The River Walk.  The second time round it didn’t appeal so much but I still want to go to San Antonio.

I’m reading another mystery writer, Nancy Pickard, for my f2f group, and I guess you’d call it a mystery, but it’s not  a sleuthing book. A stand alone -- The Virgin of Small Plains, set in Kansas, the virgin being a young murder victim.  But it’s really about secrets, families, and maybe even miracles. Engrossing,  I haven’t finished it yet.  (Nancy Pickard finished a book started by Virginia Rich and she also has a series set in New England.)

CallieOK

« Reply #965 on: October 21, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »
Pedlin, isn't the DOD series the one in which Carolyn Hart manages to refer to every mystery author and book ever written?  Boring!

You would love San Antonio!  It's a lovely fascinating city.

Steph,  I couldn't find any logical reason for the title change - but thought the fact that it was being sold in the Gift Shop at Culloden a good endorsement of the historical accuracy.

Steph

« Reply #966 on: October 22, 2009, 08:41:30 AM »
A good book about San Antonio.. There is a writer whose protagonist is Tess Monahan, who was a writer for the paper and now is a Detective in Baltimore. One of her early ones took her to San Antonio in search of her boyfriend ( who is sort of boring), but he came from there and the book is almost like  a guide to a lot of San Antonio. Which is one of my favorite Texas cities.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #967 on: October 24, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »
STEPH: the writer you're talking about is Laura Lippman. Can't remember the name of the book. She wrote one called "In a Strange City", so that's probably it.

mrssherlock

« Reply #968 on: October 24, 2009, 11:42:42 PM »
I thought Laura Lippman wrote about a woman with a dog.  Read one, it was only OK.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marjifay

« Reply #969 on: October 25, 2009, 08:49:32 AM »
I read Laura Lippman's WHAT THE DEAD KNOW.  It would have been very good if it had been about 100 pages shorter.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #970 on: October 25, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
Yes, Laura Lippman.. She writes a series about Tess and also some stand alones.. I like the stand alones the most.
Finished a  David Fulmer last night. This one is about Atlanta.. Still the underground mixed community in an earlier age, but excellent in his odd sort of way.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #971 on: October 25, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
My f2f group read a Laura Lippman stand-alone last month -- The Power of Three.  I thought it was a good read and offered a lot for discussion.  About a shooting in the girls restroom of a high school.  One dead, one critical, one with minor injuries.  The focus is on the relationships among the girls from their early school years through high school, their families, and the pecking order that develops as rural areas develop into suburban areas.

ALF43

« Reply #972 on: October 25, 2009, 09:46:12 PM »
Pedln- I am always looking for something for my 13 yr. old grand daughter to read and lear n from.  Is this appropriate?  She's at a senior reading level . BUT-- she is still only 13.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Steph

« Reply #973 on: October 26, 2009, 07:57:04 AM »
Alf, I have read the Power of Three and I suggest you read it first and see how you feel. My granddaughter is 14 and I am not sure she would know how to handle the book.

mrssherlock

« Reply #974 on: October 26, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
Alf:  Maureen Corrigan, Prof of Lit at George Wash. U, reviews books and this review prompted me to check this author out.  My library has many copies of each of his titles but also has very long waiting lists.l  Corrigan said she reads them and loves them, too.  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113749133 and http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/jeff-kinney/diary-of-wimpy-kid.htm
Jackie

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #975 on: October 26, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »
Andy,re: Power of Three.  I agree with Steph, read it yourself, first.  I think it requires a little more maturity than what is normal in 13 year olds.  

But a couple of good novels, for both Mom and Daughter -- The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle and Tall Grass by Sandra Dallas.  Both include adult themes, but in a way that a 13 year old could understand.

ALF43

« Reply #976 on: October 26, 2009, 07:09:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for your insight.  I appreciate your help.  I am always searching for something of substance.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Steph

« Reply #977 on: October 27, 2009, 08:32:05 AM »
Pedlin, Thanks for the titles. Will look for them. Always tryin to get Kait to see the world a bit clearer.

Babi

« Reply #978 on: October 27, 2009, 08:56:46 AM »
 Jeff Kinney is a new name to me, but I've never been interested in
the new graphic novels.  I've leafed thru a few pages of one or two and
recognize that the artistry is quite good. But I find it hard to take them seriously and doubt there can be much depth to the narrative.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #979 on: October 27, 2009, 10:37:46 AM »
Babi:  Harsh!  These are not comic books but perceptive descriptions of the middle school life in a format that is attractive to its audience.  Corrigan is a reviewer I trust because I personally have liked many of her recommendations.  She likes stories as do I.  Though she is a professor of literature at GWU she is a down to earth, practical woman.  She would not recommend these books so highly if they were merely frivolous.  Another middle school experience book I've heard favorable comments about is Math Doesn't Suck http://www.fairerscience.org/fs-blogs/2007/09/math_doesnt_suck_a_review.html
Jackie

CallieOK

« Reply #980 on: October 27, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »
Any suggestions for a 12-year-old boy in 6th Grade who loves to learn but isn't very interested in reading a required # of book during a grading period just because he's supposed to?  He reads on or slightly below grade level and makes A's and B's in everything except Reading.

A series about the same characters would probably interest him.

mrssherlock

« Reply #981 on: October 27, 2009, 06:07:47 PM »
Callie:  From what I've read these are good for that age group and very popular.  Have you tried Harry Potter?  What does he like?  Sports theme books are popular with males of all ages.  There are scads of excellent science fiction books for younger readers.  Is he likely to enjoy humorous books?  Space opera is one of my favorite genres.  Goose Bumps is another series; this author, R L Stine, has a slew of books and is very popular.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/r-l-stine/  Another author I've heard about that kids like is Lemony Snicket http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/lemony-snicket/
Jackie

CallieOK

« Reply #982 on: October 28, 2009, 12:45:48 AM »
mrssherlock:  He has read some of the Harry Potter books but I think those would be take too long for class points.  Yes, he would like humorous books very much.  I've heard of Goose Bumps but didn't know who the author is; thank you for mentioning the name.   I've also heard of Lemony Snicket - will have to ask if he has read those.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Steph

« Reply #983 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:29 AM »
Our grandson is only eight, but he likes adventure stories. I keep hoping he will get steered over to some classic types, but his teachers reading list is really boring.. He must read on the list to get credit and is not happy. I dont blame him.

Babi

« Reply #984 on: October 28, 2009, 09:20:46 AM »
 Oh, JACKIE, I would hardly call my mild post 'harsh'.  I didn't call them
comic books, either, tho' I confess that is what they bring to mind. I
only said I doubted there could be much depth to the narrative. 'Pride and Prejudice' presented in graphic novel form could hardly contain the prose that makes the book so great. No discourtesy intended to the professor or to you.

STEPH, do you think your grandson's teacher would be open to suggestions for her reading list? Some teachers are happy the family is interested; others take any suggestion as criticism. It just depends.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

CubFan

« Reply #985 on: October 28, 2009, 10:13:04 AM »
The approach used by the teachers in my grandchildren's district is to give credit based on minutes read outside the school day not by book titles.  I really appreciate that approach as it lets the children select anything to read and is encouraging them to develop a reading habit. Because after all - that's what we want them to do - read. This approach allows them to read magazines, newspapers, and all subject matters.  Sure some kids are going to read all the same author for a while or the same subject matter - but so what, that's what we did and do.  As their interests change so will their reading subjects. We found this method of reading encouragement very effective.  The number of minutes recommended increased by grade level. I right now I only know that for second graders it was 20 minutes a day. Exposure to the classics, exceptional authors and books can be done during the school day.  As the books and authors appeal to the students they will pick them up.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #986 on: October 28, 2009, 11:55:16 AM »
Callie, has your grandson read any books by Gary Paulson (maybe Paulsen).  The River and Hatchet come to mind, and there are others. These are adventure stories. I think they're written with middle schoolers in mind, but when I was a high school librarian, their reading level appealed to some of our boys also.  Another author is Jay Bennet whose very very short novels would focus on a boy in trouble who had to solve his own problems.  And of course, I must mention The Giver by Lois Lowry -- great, for all from 5th grade to SeniorLearn.

Years ago, someone wrote in School Library Journal that the R.L. Stine (Goosebumps) books were a literary training bra for Stephen King.

mrssherlock

« Reply #987 on: October 28, 2009, 12:59:12 PM »
Pedln:   ::)  My daughter did not read until 5th grade; she is dyslexic.  She was read to from baby hood.  She overcame the mental block that had developed when I started Little House in the Big Woods but stopped at the end of a chapter and said I wasn't reading any more aloud.  She took up the challenge and then she really took off in her reading.  Reading is an adventure.  When a child can take hold of it and own his reading he can become master of some part of his life.  So we need to entice the non-readers.  I learned to read as my mother read the daily comics to me.  I didn't stay with comics long.  When I went to school and met Dick and Jane I was already reading above grade level outside of school.  My mother bought a book of stories from a door to door salesman which was about a bad little girl.  It was full of Britishisms so we were puzzled by some of the allusions, but I read it, over and over. 
Jackie

mrssherlock

« Reply #988 on: October 28, 2009, 01:19:43 PM »
PS:  When I was looking up John Grogan (author of Marley and Me) on FF I saw that he has written several Marley books for children.  Maybe they're too young for a 12-yr-old but they sound like books I would like.  Also the late poet John Ciardi wrote some poetry for children; so did Shel Silverstein, very funny man.  Whoops! The Marleys are picture books. 
Jackie

CallieOK

« Reply #989 on: October 28, 2009, 03:11:21 PM »
Many thanks to each of you for your suggestions.  Of course, as the out-of-town grandmother, my "helpful advice" will only go so far.  ;)

I'm pretty sure that the number of books read within a grading period determines part of the grade.   I don't think he is limited to the school library - but I doubt that newspapers are included.  I've given him subscriptions to several magazines for a few years and have never known him to use any of them for Points.

One of the struggles is that he is an audio learner.  After we had been to an Intergenerational Elderhostel, he repeated the "lessons" he'd heard in the Nature classes to his mother almost verbatim.  The first time he took the Hunter's Safety Course, they were given material to read and he did not pass the test.  The second time, the instructor talked to them about the rules - and he only missed one answer on the test.

Another struggle is that he is a "busy" boy and has such a wide variety of interests that he really doesn't like to just sit down and read "because he's supposed to".

If nothing else, you have given me some good ideas for Christmas.  Thank you!  :)

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #990 on: October 28, 2009, 06:24:06 PM »
Callie, what about recorded books?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #991 on: October 28, 2009, 08:23:39 PM »
MaryZ I love your proverb!

Steph

« Reply #992 on: October 29, 2009, 08:00:57 AM »
My grandchildrens school district has lists and the teachers must conform to the lists. We are bible belt in Florida and the number of forbidden books for school use is high ( and stupid).

Babi

« Reply #993 on: October 29, 2009, 08:55:41 AM »
 And of course, the fact that a book is forbidden will almost guarantee
an eager readership.   ::)

CallieOK

« Reply #994 on: October 29, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »
Once a year, the OKC Metro Library System has a "Banned Books" display.  It's VERY popular.  :D

Steph

« Reply #995 on: October 30, 2009, 07:43:59 AM »
At least once a year, some parent in our county ( Lake) goes to a school board meeting and starts in on some book or another. I get so weary of their outrage. They seem to have no faith in their childrens ability to read and discern. My parents were the opposite. I could read anything I wanted. If I did not understand it, they would answer questions.. or I could just wait until I understood a bit more and then re read it.. Which I did with a bunch of stuff.

Babi

« Reply #996 on: October 30, 2009, 08:49:33 AM »
  I'm not for banning books, STEPH, but I do think that they should be
age appropriate for children.  Discernment and good judgment are
things that develop over time; we're definitely not born with them. Young children especially tend to take to heart all that they hear, or
read, sometimes to their detriment. 

ALF43

« Reply #997 on: October 30, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »
AMEN Babi.  I just had this very same discussion with my "TOO" precocious 13 year old grand-daughter.

mrssherlock

« Reply #998 on: October 30, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »
I always read way above grade level; I believe it is like sex education - the child takes in only what it can comprehend.  Anytime a young ch ild exhibits inappropriate sex interest/knowledge, it may be signal abuse.  I was not harmed by reading adult fiction; it helped me develop standards and a personal taste.  Some books written for children are not expanding their horizons but can have the opposite effect, turning their curiosity off, dumbing down the intellectual process.
Jackie

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #999 on: October 30, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »
My take on what's appropriate for children has always been that that's the parent's decision for his/her own child.  I don't believe any person has the right to decide what's appropriate for someone else's child.  Yet, that seems to be what too many people want to do...decide what OTHER people have the right to read...be it Harry Potter, Captain Underpants  or this or that genre of books.  Bah Humbug!

jane