Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery! ~ Six by Christie  (Read 76569 times)

mrssherlock

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery! ~ Six by Christie
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2009, 09:44:47 PM »

Six 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, June 21-July 26, 2009
"With grey cells firing and knitting needles clicking, Hercule Poirot (David Suchet) and Miss Marple (Julia McKenzie) star in Six by Agatha, a half-dozen whodunits by the greatest mystery author of all time, Agatha Christie." (PBS Masterpiece Mystery!)

Would you enjoy discussing these new PBS mysteries?  Reading the books adds a whole new dimension, as we learned reading Henning Mankell's novels.
 Thank you for promoting reading, Masterpiece! Are you interested?

June 21, 2009 at 9pm
Hercule Poirot: Cat Among the Pigeons
Something is amiss at Meadowbank School for Girls, where hidden rubies, kidnapping, and murder disrupt the term. View the episode online through July 5 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/watch.html
June 28, 2009 at 9pm
Hercule Poirot: Mrs. McGinty's Dead
A man is about to hang for a brutal murder. But did he do it? After learning about 30-year-old homicides, Poirot concludes a ghost from the past has returned. View the episode online through July 12 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/watch.html
July 5, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: A Pocket Full of Rye
A killer who seems obsessed with a nursery rhyme commits a string of murders. Miss Marple and a local detective (Matthew Macfadyen) join forces to investigate. View the episode online through July 19 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/watch.html.
July 12, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: Murder is Easy (the book is sometimes called EASY TO KILL)
Miss Marple investigates a string of "accidents" after a woman on a train tells her about murders in a local village. Benedict Cumberbatch co-stars. View the episode online through July 26 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/watch.html.
July 19, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: They Do it With Mirrors (the book is sometimes called MURDER WITH MIRRORS)
During rehearsal for an amateur show a murder occurs, and Miss Marple must decipher the elaborate conjuring trick played by the killer. Joan Collins co-stars. View the episode online through August 2 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/watch.html.
July 26, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: Why Didn't They Ask Evans? (the book is sometimes titled THE BOOMERANG CLUE)
The last words of a dying man lead the sole witness and a socialite to investigate. Miss Marple joins them as they land in a hotbed of homicide and intrigue.

Discussion Leader:  Babi

Since I missed out on the book offer the TV productions are a tabula rasa to me but they do not engage me at all.  This Jane Marple is oK but she lacks Hickson's charm.  Each one of these stories so far has too many characters to keep up with.  The motives for the murders do not have the impact that I would expect.  They are not written for someone like me.  I'm not eager to see the next one. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2009, 09:48:48 PM »
My sentiments are well expressed here in the previous posts.

I think I preferred the book, but maybe that was because I kept trying to remember what parts were being omitted or changed or added  (like the fire).

I am reading "Why Didn't They Ask Evans".  I broke down and bought a new HDTV so I could watch Masterpiece.  My old set was dated 1988 and I got it new then when we moved to town.  It worked well on analog, but the converter box did not provide a continuous picture, and kept breaking up.

But I live 50 miles from any TV tower, and only have an outside aerial about 20 feet tall.

Babi

« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »
 One did long to shake Carrie Louise a time or two in the book, JOANP. Nevertheless, Carrie as Christie created her better fit the story she wrote.  The film's  Carrie was more fun, but she would not have fit into the original plot nearly so well.
  I agree with MARCIE, that the animosity between the sisters was
wholly uncalled for and added nothing of value. It was Ruth's concern for
Carrie that brought Miss Marple there in the first place.
 Actually, she wasn't being poisoned. That was a 'red herring' Lewis threw in
to explain why Christian had returned so unexpectedly. 

I seems all of us are not too happy with the current batch of re-writes.
I wonder if the same writers did all six?  The last film is ahead of us;
please help me check the credits to see who the writers are.

I also found, on rummaging around for information, that the Agatha Christie
properties (the mysteries) are being offered for sale and the prospective
buyers are some group called 'Coolabi'. Coolabi, I learn, has recently
purchased the estates of crime writers Michael Innes and John Creasey, and
a large share in Eric Ambler.  I detect a trend here.  Is it good news or bad, I
wonder?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2009, 12:43:20 PM »
Babi, it looks like there were different screenplay writers for the four Miss Marple episodes:

Pocket Full of Rye: Kevin Elyot

Murder is Easy: Stephen Churchett

They Do it With Mirrors: Paul Rutman

Why Didn't They Ask Evans: Patrick Barlow

mrssherlock

« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2009, 01:04:32 PM »
I searched a bit and found many Agatha Christie discussion sites on the Internet where most people who post in the discussions have negative reactions to the changes to the Christie stories. Of course, it seems likely that many people who post usually do so when their reaction is negative rather than agreeing with something.

I found, at the PBS Mystery discussion website, the following "response from PBS" regarding the changes to the Miss Marple series that a viewer had complained about:

http://discussions.pbs.org/viewtopic.pbs?t=59332

"Thank you for your interest in Masterpiece Theatre/MYSTERY!

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the recent Miss Marple episodes. We have received many letters regarding the latest Miss Marple, and while some agree with you, an equal number are quite pleased by the productions. It's a difficult task to produce programming that all will enjoy; we sincerely hope that our next production will be more to your liking.

Please rest assured your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate person.

Also, we hope that the following will be of interest:
The British company Chorion owns the majority of Agatha Christie's brand and estate. For a time there was a moratorium on productions of Christie's work; Chorion wanted to see how it could be revised to better suit an audience of the 21st century. We now see the new Miss Marples.

Significantly, Mathew Prichard (Agatha Christie's only grandson), the chairman of Agatha Christie Ltd. (owned by Chorion), is fully in support of the changes made. He has said, "The rejacketing of her books and new adaptations of Poirot and Marple ... have all ensured that the magic of her storytelling continues to reach a contemporary audience and that she continues to be recognised as the undisputed 'Queen of Crime'."

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: July 21, 2009, 01:07:53 PM »
I wonder if it is true overall that an "equal number" of people are sending positive messages about the productions. They may be positive about some aspects of the production. I wonder about the scripts...

mrssherlock

« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2009, 01:26:15 PM »
Marcie:   ;)
Jackie

retired

« Reply #248 on: July 21, 2009, 08:48:03 PM »
I totally agree there were too many characters in the episode " They Do It with Mirrors " to keep track of comfortably.
I was totally confused by the sequence of the plot for a period of time .
Christie seems to focus on family secrets as a springboard to the plot . Also seen in the previous episode
Not having read any of her books and trying to follow the TV presentations is that typical ( Family Secrets ) of her writing?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #249 on: July 21, 2009, 11:29:27 PM »
There certainly seems to be some inconsistency among the various Christies.  I truly disliked Murder with Mirrors, but have just finished watching (finally) Cat Among the Pigeons and thorougly enjoyed it, and felt that they stuck pretty close to the script. The changes that they did make seemed to be done as adaptation necessities, time constraints, etc.

JudeS

« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2009, 01:52:58 AM »
I think I found a way to enjoy the Miss Marple mysteries.  Read the book first then give yourself the task ,while watching the TV show, of counting how many changes you find . So far this last one, They do it with Mirrors,wins the prize. They changed so much that I stopped counting at 15 and said to myself" Make believe this is just a mystery, related, in some way to the original book. Then I stopped fussing.

Babi

« Reply #251 on: July 22, 2009, 09:48:14 AM »
 Thanks, MARCIE. Well, we can't blame it all on one guy, or even one team.
They all had the same type of changes, tho', so we must suppose the writers
were given thorough instuctions as to what was wanted.
  It's apparent, from the response you got from Masterpiece Theatre, that
Chorion was responsible for 'modernizing' the Christie stories. I can't help
but wonder if those who were 'quite pleased' had also read the books.

Yes, JACKIE, I had a look at that, too, out of curiousity. It looks as
though Coolabi has been primarily involved in childrens' programs in the
past. Now it appears they want to branch out into mysteries. From the news
item I read, they are really stretching their resources to branch out like
this. It will be interesting to see what they do with the properties.

JUDE:  :D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: July 22, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »
It's  possible this particular story is not easy to film in the first place. I'm watching the Joan Hickson version and it's awful, and I am her biggest fan. It's absolutely awful. They play trumpets when Christopher comes and goes in the car,  and they play hoedown music when  Walter appears,  it's almost as if there are so many characters that the director feared nobody could tell them apart hence the cowboy music (look it's the Yank) and the Important Man music while Christopher who ended up shot strode around importantly, jumping out of private jets and stomping up stairs, ridiculous. Walter was totally AWFUL, I mean it's unreal. The worst actual  production of it I have seen,  but I have not seen  Geraldine McEwan's! It's the supporting cast. The scenery is gorgeous and period...but....

Just nothing like the other Hicksons... I wonder if this was the last one HIckson did,  if so I can see why, never saw such unflattering photography, just millions of characters, you have the feeling that you have stumbled into somebody's family reunion nightmare, awful thing. Nothing makes sense?

I do like the locked room type of mystery tho.

For some reason tho once it was announced somebody was trying to poison  Carrie Louise I got interested despite myself, so instead of throwing it into the corner I'll watch the rest tomorrow. I wish I could see the new one!! I missed it and don't know when it repeats here but it can't be any worse. I do have the book,  tho, I think I'll read the first two or three chapters to see what Christie described and how she treated Trumpet Man. I have a feeling she made sense of it.   Maybe the movie  will pick up. It's got Jean Simmons in it,  for pete's sake!

I think I'll read Come Tell Me How You Live, vintage Christie,  to get this taste out of my mouth also.

So maybe in these new productions  they thought they were making improvements in the old version, the book's and the previous films.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »
Ginny, I do think that the mysteries with many characters are difficult to film in only 90 minutes. Can  you view the recent version at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/watch.html

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: July 23, 2009, 06:37:20 AM »
I tried before and Firefox seems to lack some kind of plug in or something which I can't download. (I have tried).   Explorer's "Add Ons" are disabled and it won't allow me to enable them.  It's a bummer not to be able to see these. Maybe Netscape is still available and I can download it! I'll give it my best, am dying with curiosity now I've read all these posts, but reading Christie again is worth any new version anyway,  it's a great discussion. :)

nlhome

« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2009, 07:53:31 AM »
I watched the Mirrors program last night on my computer, chapter by chapter while working outside in the garden for breaks. I enjoyed it, but in a "campy" sort of way. Certainly nothing to take seriously.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #256 on: July 23, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »
Ginny, I do think that the mysteries with many characters are difficult to film in only 90 minutes. Can  you view the recent version at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/watch.html

Thanks, Marcie.
That is a great link. I wish I had seen it sooner to review the first Christie we watched.
There are some good links to other pages about Christie.

Babi

« Reply #257 on: July 23, 2009, 09:11:33 AM »
 Oh, my! Trumpets and hoedown music? It's almost as if the director
were trying to turn the whole thing into a farce. I can't imagine anyone
doing that in a serious mystery presentation.

We have "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" coming up next. I remember
that as a story that did an especially good job of keeping me puzzled. I'm
looking forward to re-reading it (the 3rd time, I think) to see if my sleuthing
skills have improved at all. 
  According to the introductory blurb, "Miss Marple joins them.."  I love
Miss Marple, but I somewhat resent their sticking her in where she
doesn't belong, just to attract us Miss Marple fans.  I wonder who will
be playing the 'socialite'?

Frybabe

« Reply #258 on: July 23, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »
Ginny, What plug-in is Firefox telling you it needs? I have very little problem with viewing anything with Firefox. Have you tried looking for the plug-in at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ .  Sometimes, I think when you download with their "oh, gee you need this" and they give you a button to download box, it is actually going out to an IE version. Just a guess. I have problems with that sometimes too. That is why I go check the Mozilla site or the plug-in maker's site (like Adobe).

There should be a way to enable the add-on feature for IE, but I couldn't tell you what. I don't use the thing. As for Netscape, they merged with AOL some time back. While I still have a Netscape email address, I am not sure they have a Netscape browser anymore. I think I remember something about AOL not supporting it anymore. I'll have to look into it.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: July 23, 2009, 02:00:27 PM »
Frybabe, it was something for Real Player, it said it needed that plug in but none was available on the internet, they are sorry.  :)   And I do  see Netscape is toast, but it just occurred to me I can watch it on one of the laptops, so I'll do that tomorrow so  I can compare them. But I'm reading the book which is so much more understandable, I think Retired asked about the difference in the book and the movie?

First off she establishes in the book right from the start,  a pretty clear foundation not  only for the main two women, Jane Marple and Ruth Rydock,  but  the relationships all around which make sense in the book. There's a nice Cast of Characters in the front of the book and who they are, along with a diagram of the house,  and some nice touches, like the one  in which Ruth Van Rydock  says to Jane Marple

Do you think most people would guess, Jane, that you and I are practically the same age?"  
(this is a question unsatisfactorily raised in the movie and explained by Miss Marple being some kind of a governess).

Miss Marple responded loyally,

"Not for a moment. I'm sure, " she said reassuringly. "I'm afraid, you know, that I look every minute of my age!"

Miss Marple was white-haired, with a soft, pink and white , wrinkled face and innocent, china blue eyes. She looked a very sweet old lady. Nobody would have called Mrs. Van Rydock a sweet old lady.

It's just little things, which the reader can relate to,  in responding  to Mrs. Rydock's feeling of premonition, Miss Marple recounts sitting behind somebody at church when she had a premonition which turned out to be true, involving mirrors, actually. I like the book.

So so far as the Hickson goes with the music,  it's pretty much parallel with the plot of the  book,  that is the big plot moves, but lacking the explanations. I guess they think we'd get them from the music. Can't wait to meet Mr. Trumpet and Mr. Hoedown now in the book now that I know more about who I have met.

Babi, I don't know why they have inserted Miss Marple into books she did not appear in, I'd have thought they'd have a fertile field in all the stories written  without having to make her up.

Still reading, will finish the Hickson and watch the PBS tomorrow.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »
Ginny, the PBS program can be played using Windows Player or Quicktime also. Maybe you can change your default preferences in IE from Real Player to one of these other programs. I don't have a Windows computer right now and I can't recall exactly how to do that.

I agree with all of you who are enjoying reading the books. I'm reading The Boomerang Clue (Why Didn't They ask Evans) right now. It's got a lot of humorous dialog. I'm laughing quite a bit.

Frybabe

« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »
One of the things I noticed about the book, They Do It With Mirrors, is the biased (bigotted?) remarks about the Italians and the Americans. I suppose that this was a common portrayal or feeling of quite a few people back then (and now?).

I don't remember the author's name offhand, but if any of you have read the old Charlie Chan books, you will have noticed the distinct racism/bigotry of the time period against Orientals in general and Chinese in particular. It is a offensive to me, but it portrays the general feelings of the time period.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2009, 08:21:21 AM »
Frybabe,  I think you are right, I noticed also  there were other references as well. I remember that a well known title of Christie's changed to reflect a more PC modern understanding of things  as well.

I did finish the book and the Hickson version, which picked up considerably, last night. I thought, Marcie, that there were some differences in the book and that version, but I agree with you it sort of followed the plot pretty well, verbatim in some places, liberties in others. Still, as you said, pretty  faithful. I think this one is one of the weakest I have seen of film productions tho, can't wait to view the PBS, have tried what you suggested. I think my old "corrupted" according to HP computer is ready to be replaced.

I thought the book was superior to the film,  the plotting more involved and intricate, the references to "mirrors" much more pronounced, and that it made a lot of sense.  It's also not one of her best books, but  I liked it that the characters themselves in the book were confused by the situation at StonyGates if that's the name,  and the emphasis and film time were not on the auxiliary cast but the principals.  Lots of "aha" explanations including  the book revealed that Christopher was Mildred's brother, and Alex in the book was killed. The Bishop also appeared in the book as trustee.

Can't wait to see what PBS has made of it, what fun this entire enterprise is!  It's a great thing to discuss it here. I have not read Christie in years.

One interesting thing about the Hickson version  is that the rivalry which the Inspector and Miss Marple had, to her amusement, which the Hickson movies really carried out well, some humor in the production, was not represented in this particular book, a different inspector, entirely. Inspector did not do magic tricks in the book. It appears every filmmaker has taken some liberties.

Babi

« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2009, 09:10:16 AM »
I think is it a rather common thread in English literature, the insular
attitude of the English toward the non-English. They are completely impartial
in their assumption of British superiority.  ;)   I have no idea how prevalent
that may or may not be now.

Some new elements in the story did not make much sense to me.
What was the point of the 'drowning' scene? I saw no purpose to it
at all, unless it was simply to demonstrate Lewis' devotion to Carrie.
Anyone else have an idea as to what that was all about?

I will be leaving this afternoon with my older daughter for a weekend
in Baton Rouge with my son and his fiance'.  I should be able to get in
some time on the computer while I'm there, but a great deal will depend
on what they have planned.  We will be back Sunday night; you'll hardly
 notice I'm gone.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2009, 10:04:06 AM »
Enjoy your time away with your family Babi.

This has really been a great discussion and certainly got me to reading Christie again and I am glad that I have done that.

Looking forward to the next production although I am not trying to read the book at this time.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Frybabe

« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »
I should probably mention that while I may not like the attitudes of the writers or their characters, this is how they were written. I do not like people revising works to make them currently PC or worse banning books because they do not fit today's attitudes. I do however, acknowledge that we don't want to perpetuate some of these behaviors and attitudes. I just don't want to lose sight of the fact of how similar or different they may have been. Who was it that said, "Those who do not know History, are doomed to repeat it"?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: July 24, 2009, 10:50:54 AM »
I think you are right, Babi!

Well said, Joan Grimes, and I agree totally with you, it's wonderful to be able to be reading Christie again, that's a great benefit of this.

Margie, also well said! I agree with you.

Unfortunately, today seems to be a day of "NO!" hahahaa I hooked up my brand new mini to the satellite, all went well, no, you can't view it, even in Windows Media, a plug in is required, not available, manual download not available, went to the website and it turns out it needs an APPLE application, which is available for Windows at $29.99.  I debated, but after reading your own reports of the PBS films I think I'll pass.

Since I have something else I need to do on Sunday night, I guess I'lll enjoy the books and the previous films and your great comments on the new series.

Frybabe

« Reply #267 on: July 24, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »
Ginny, I brought up the PBS site and clicked on the video to see what is what. Mine comes up right in the website rather than a separate box. It is bringing up Adobe's Quicktime. The Quicktime Player is FREE. Here is the link to the Adobe site. If you want do anything like making your own videos and uploading them, then they charge for that extra programming. In that case you would be buying Quicktime Pro which is $29.99.

It is a little hard to troubleshoot from long distance. I hope this works for you this time. BTW, your operating system is Windows XP correct?

These days I mostly use the Quicktime or Windows Media. I used to use Real Player but dropped it more than a year ago. Quicktime is handy if you want to look at stuff off the NASA sites. They do some wonderful animations and such of deep space events and they use Quicktime.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: July 24, 2009, 03:30:28 PM »
Yeah QuickTime and XP. Quick Time is  the one originally requesting the plug in.  It comes up in the box but only will play the sound not the picture. Not to worry, it's OK, from what you have all said I'm not missing anything and I'm really enjoying the books.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2009, 04:48:59 PM »
Maybe if you install the latest version of Quicktime (again if you already have it), it might solve the problem. Here is another site with the free version:

http://download.cnet.com/Apple-QuickTime/3000-2139_4-10002208.html

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
Frybabe and Marcie, you are both geniuses! (Genii?) THAT one worked, cross your fingers, Wildblue is having problems in this area today ("known outages in your area") but I can hear AND see snatches of it, oh JOY! (is that a FIRE in chapter 1?!?)

A FIRE? Or do I have the wrong show? I'll find out in the morning.

Oh joy. Tomorrow when I can stay on a half minute I can enjoy it too!

Thank you! YAHOO!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »
LOL, Ginny. Yes, it opens with a FIRE. I thought it was the wrong episode, too, but it does make sense to the plot.

Frybabe

« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
 ;D  You are welcome, Ginny!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2009, 09:57:30 AM »
hahaha Ok I've watched it. I enjoyed the PBS production, which of course is nothing like the book or the Hickson. Perhaps they should actually give credit to Christie and then branch out with a new lady detective, McKenzie is way too young, tho she does a good job in her part,  but it's...something new. A hybrid. The situation and names are somewhat the same.

In the book Lewis is the Prison Reform Idealist, not Carrie Louise, and was cooking the books with the aid of a couple of his former graduates. As said previously there was no fire in the book.

Johnny Restarick is dead, so he could hardly return nor have an affair with Miss Bellamer. Nor was he killed by the scenery falling. One brother, Stephen Restarick,  is missing, the other,  Alex Restarick,  and Ernie Gregg were killed by the scenery falling in the book.

Mildred was resentful about Pippa, who does not appear in this film, or the Hickson. Miss Not Appearing in this Film. She was Gina's mother,  in the book,   not the woman who was a poisoner,  Katherine Elsworth. That bit did not make any sense, why would Carrie Louise raise the daughter of a poisoner, did the movie say? I missed a small part of Chapter 1 when the satellite went down. .

I don't know what to say about the modern production? It's just so different.  It's enjoyable, with less characters than either the book or the Hickson. I think they should make up a new detective for McKenzie and write a series for her and forget trying to squeeze her in to this peg.

I took the drowning of Edgar, and Lewis  to be intended as a  comparison with the first rescue of Lewis Serricold. Lewis,  on the first occasion,   swam out to rescue Carrie Louise ( a scene not in the book). Carrie Louise,   somehow,  tho not being able to swim well,  had swum in fact a good way out. Lewis showed thus his   devotion to his wife and real son?

In the book, Edgar was  trapped by oncoming police as he tried to escape,  so he  turned to the lake,  got in an "old punt," and started out but it was rotten and Lewis went in to save him.  This is told in a letter from Gina to the character played by Joan Collins in the PBS, so apparently she was not on the scene as shown on PBS.

So it's quite different.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: July 26, 2009, 01:03:39 AM »
Ginny, yes, there were many differences in this production and you've done well outlining them.

I think that the fact of Carrie Louise adopting the daughter of a "criminal" was described as sort of an ultimate experiment in her work of rehabilitation.

Babi

« Reply #275 on: July 26, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »
 I'm at my son's house, grabbing the computer for a while.  The layout it dfiferent here; different server, I suppose.

I notice that Christie has used the 'letter after the story'  more than once, as a sort of prologue or confirmation.
It works just fine, but it might not if she did it too often.  We find in twice in this set of six.

Tonight is the last film, and again we will see Miss Marple plumped down iinto a story that originally saw nothing
of her.   well, we shal see what we shall see,   to borrow an old saw.  An old rusty saw, at that.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: July 26, 2009, 12:37:17 PM »
 ;) , Babi

I'm looking forward to the episode tonight. I enjoyed the book. I'm wondering how they will incorporate Miss Marple since it's Frankie and Bobby who do all of the sleuthing in the book.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #277 on: July 26, 2009, 06:19:17 PM »
Well, I'm still playing catch-up -- am in the middle of "Murder is Easy" and am going crazy trying to correlate who's on screen with who is in the book.  Is this the film that everyone agreed has too many characters?  They kept Luke in the the film.  Why have Miss Marple? 

Tonight I'm going to watch or tape "Evans," and maybe read the book a month from now.

I notice that Christie has used the 'letter after the story'  more than once, as a sort of prologue or confirmation.  It works just fine, but it might not if she did it too often.  We find in twice in this set of six.

Babi, you are a sharp one.  I would have missed that, had you not pointed it out.   So we have the Gladys letter and ??????????  Hmmm.

Babi

« Reply #278 on: July 27, 2009, 08:36:27 AM »
  Well, that was a fine mishmash!  Even if I hadn't read the book and brought some expectations to the film, I
would have found it horribly patchy and confusing.  My  son tried watching it with me, but he gave up, shaking
his head and shrugging.  (I am still at his house.  I was unable to travel when it came time to leave, so my daughter returned without me. I'll be here a couple more days. Don't ask!)  

Back to "Why didn't they ask Evans",  the writers seem to have thrown in a half dozen extra plots, all of which sounded so familiar I suspect they were borrowed.   I thought the result was awful.  Were they trying for a farce?   Another Evans, who also gets murdered.? Apparently 'modernizing' a Miss Marple story in this series meant throwing in some form of perversion.
  Okay, I think it is fairly evident what I thought of the writing on this one.  Also, I didn't think the actress who played 'Frankie' Derwent succeeded in capturing the character of avery upper-class and wealthy young woman. Certainly didn't dress like one.  I did like Bobbie Jones.  The two children, introduced by the writers, were awful and the police 'Commander' was definitely played for farce.

I suppose there must have been something to say on the positive side, but for the presernt I'll have to leave it to
someone else to say it.   :-\

Mippy

« Reply #279 on: July 27, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
Once again, did not watch the whole film last night ... I agree it was a mish-mash     :-\
quot libros, quam breve tempus