Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 552902 times)

Frybabe

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2009, 06:21:10 PM »

How many of you have read a book,
then watched a movie that was based on that same book?

Were you disappointed?
Or elated that they hadn't made any significant changes?
Or even surprised to discover the movie was even better than the book?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of this very popular subject right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

Yes, Mippy, I liked Captain Corelli's Mandolin also. And when someone here or on SeniorsandFriends said the book was even better, I bought it. It is now residing on my TBR pile. I decided to read A Handmaid's Tail first.

Babi

« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2009, 09:16:41 AM »
PEDLIN, I saw Slumdog Millionaire, and it wasn't at all what I expected. I agree, a bit slow getting into it, and harsh, but a really good movie.

I didn't see "Captain Morelli's Mandolin", partly because I'm not really a big fan of Nicholas Gage (I know! Heresy!), and partly because I was so bored by a film that I think was called "The Red Violin".  I suspect the similarity in titles put me off.  More of a subconscious reaction than a logical one, of course.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Mippy

« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »
Hi, Babi!   I didn't like Red Violin, either.   But the Corelli movie has nothing whatsoever
to do with it.   

Has anyone seen the Marley movie?   Not only did I read the book by John Grogan,
but I bought it as a gift for a couple of people.  If you love dogs ...    yada   yada ...       :D  
quot libros, quam breve tempus

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2009, 08:34:44 PM »
Babi and Mippy, I guess you have to be a violinist to appreciate The Red Violin.  I haven't seen it yet (it's on my Netflix list), but my granddaughter (now a college freshman) has raved about it. She's studied violin for about 11 or 12 years now, and this year for a Music and Film Seminar at college, wrote a major paper (about 20 pages) about The Red Violin.  I've asked her to email me a copy of it, but haven't received it.

Mippy

« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2009, 06:42:02 AM »
Ann/Pedln ~  Good morning!   Yes, there is terrific violin music in the Red Violin film,
played on the sound track by Joshua Bell,  but as I recall (watched it many years ago) the plot was not terrific.   But each to his own ...

I'm still hoping to get a few more ideas of what to watch on Comcast's movies-on-demand, when I get back in a couple of weeks.   

Hope everyone has a nice sunny spring week ahead!

Babi

« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2009, 09:59:45 AM »
  You could hardly say a plot existed in that move, MIPPY.  I guess you did have
to be a musician, like PEDLN's granddaughter, and enjoy the beauty of the violin and the music so much you didn't care about the rest.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2009, 01:06:13 PM »
I am not a violinist, but I absolutely loved "The Red Violin".   There should have been enough plot for anyone, following the history of this one instrument through the centuries. 

The movie of Corelli's Mandolin was severely panned, and made note of the fact that it didn't follow the book that closely.  (Which movies ever do, really?)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »
The movie of Corelli's Mandolin was severely panned, and made note of the fact that it didn't follow the book that closely.  (Which movies ever do, really?)

Tomereader, how right you are. Most don't. I did see one long ago that stayed very close to the book (only one deviation that I saw) and that was Lawrence of Arabia.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »
I came in this evening to ask if any of you are watching Maspterpiece Mystery  this evening  on PBS.  Tonight is the first of three episodes of " Wallander:Sidetracked" with the Irish actor, Kenneth Branagh.

These episodes are based on best selling books by Henning Mankell -
Sidetracked, Firewall and One Step Behind Are you interested in a discussion of these thrilling mysteies? 
SeniorLearn has been contacted by Masterpiece HGTV - offering us free sets of two lf these books if we are interested.  (Masterpiece is one of our Reading Promotion Partners in the Library of Congress Center for the Book.)

If you are intersted in these books and chatting about the PBS adaptations, please post here and we'll open a discussion - and send you your set of novels.
I'm watching the first episode right now - Kenneth Branagh is Detective Wallender!

Babi

« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2009, 09:03:50 AM »
 Drat, I didn't even check to see what was on Masterpiece Theater last night.
I don't know if it aired here or not, but I certainly would have liked to see that if so.  We had company - my kids and grandkids (first time I've seen them in years; they live in Canada), but I could have taped the show if I had known.

Mippy

« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2009, 09:11:58 AM »
JoanP ~ Hi, dear friend!
 ... oooops ... missed Masterpiece last night, but it might be re-played, I hope.
Yes, I think I'm interested, love Kenneth, former husband of Emma,
but may not have time to do anything in a reading group before June.   
Do tell more about the "window" in which a group might discuss these. 
   If you need a snail mail address for me, please email.
Thanks much!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
Our PBS station is still out -- a good portion of southern Illinois lost power on Friday, including SIUniversity at Carbondale, where our PBS (even for  SE Missourians) originates.  I hope they rebroadcast, but they've got to get running first.  MarjV talked about the Henning Mankell books over in RATW, and they sounded good.  I've never read any, but would like to see the shows if they'r available.

A book/film I'd like to read/see is THe Boy in the Striped Pajamas.  It's coming up on my Netflix queue, but I can't find that it has captions or English subtitles.  Only Spanish is indicated.  Have any of you seen it?  Some of the reviews on Amazon pointed out aspects that would be well worth looking for.

Mippy, have you been finding good shows to watch with your new Comcast set-up?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2009, 06:53:09 PM »
OK, we've opened a General  PBS Masterpiece Discussion to determine if there is interest in the Wallanders - 
This is the question in the header of the new discussion.

Would you like to form a Wallander Book/Film club?   We could discuss  the PBS adaptation of Henrick Mankell's novels  and/or discuss  Mankell's  novels  if you are interested.  We can send you a set of two of the Wallander novels for the price of postage - if supplies last.  Are you interested?

Since I had posted in several discussions about the series yesterday, I'm going to ask those of you  who expressed interest to go into the new discussion, so all the information is in one place.
I'll be looking for you there, ready to take your orders!  ;)  Thanks!

Babi

« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2009, 09:02:30 AM »
  Well, I don't know about a Wallender club.  After we finished the books, what would the club do?  Maybe a PBS Masterpiece club would be more useful. I checked with my library and fortunately it does have the first two books, so I would not need one of the free sets to participate in
a discussion.
  I checked and found that the PBS presentation was repeated at 2 a.m. this
morning, so it is now on tape. I'll be watching it at the first opportunity and get back to you.

mrssherlock

« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2009, 10:55:43 AM »
Mark.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Mippy

« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »
Thanks for asking, Ann /Pedln,  but baby-helper duty has taken over my life.
It's absolutely wonderful helping with our new grandson, now a big 5-week old!
However, I was only home for 48 hours then returned to my daughter's house.

We watched the movie Marley (did I mention that last week?) and it wasn't as good as the book,
but the dog film parts were worth it to us, as we love big dogs.   If anyone loves dogs, they ought to enjoy the film.    Of course if you've read the book  you know the (sad) ending.

marjifay

« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2009, 12:24:32 PM »
Went to see ANGELS AND DEMONS last night, but left after the first hour.  The beginning of the film was interesting where you are shown the Vatican and the Vatican's archives.  But after that it became pretty predictable and boring.   Too bad, because I liked the book (IMO, better than his DaVinci Code.)
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Frybabe

« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »
Marjifay, in the movie did they tone down the constant beatings, etc. that Langdon received in the book? I read the book but thought, how could this guy survive and keep going with all that violence upon his person. A bit over the top, I think. Having said that, the movie trailers didn't impress me as being an interesting movie.

marjifay

« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2009, 01:12:14 PM »
Frybabe, up to the time when we walked out, Langdon hadn't gotten any beatings.  Odd, it's been so long since I read Angels and Demons,
I don't recall him getting beaten.  I just remember I was fascinated by the voting process for a new pope, and the description of the Vatican archives.  Yes the book was pretty much "over the top," especially in the ending as I recall.  I've checked it out of the library to reread.  I shouldn't bother because I've got so many better books on my TBR list. 

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2009, 09:33:15 PM »
Oh dear me, Marjifay.  My brother was just saying recently that he'd never seen a bad Tom Hanks movie, and  now you may be proving him wrong.  I haven't read the book and probably won't see the movie until it comes out on DVD, but "boring and predictable" don't sound very promising.

That's pretty much the way I felt while watching "W" this week.  Well, "boring and lopsided," she says liberally. Gave up and sent it back to Netflix before it was done.

Babi

« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2009, 08:37:49 AM »
FRYBABE, I am often 'put-off' by the way films show their heroes receiving beatings that should put them in the hospital, yet they just drag themselves up and continue with their heroics.  I find myself considerably cheered when I find one where the guy is human and actually winds up in the hospital.
  Tom Hanks is certainly a fine actor, PEDLN, but even find actors can find themselves handicapped if the screenwriting is poor. I have seen that happen more than once.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2009, 11:23:55 AM »
I think fine acting is what saved the film Doubt.  I watched it the other night.  It's based on a play written by John Shanley, who also wrote the screenplay and directed it.  Meryl Streep was fantastic, especially when all you really see of her is her face and hands, as everything else is enclosed in her habit.  Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who plays the priest she accuses of improprieties, and Amy Adams, the young idealistic nun, are also excellent.  But I only gave it three  (out of 5) Netflix stars.  It was okay, but just didn't quite come up to snuff for me.  There was much to consider in this film, and it does bear watching, but something is lacking.  I don't know what.  Without the outstanding acting it would have fallen flat.

I'm sure there are many opinions about this film.  What are yours?

marjifay

« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2009, 12:01:14 PM »
I have DOUBT, the play, on my TBR list.  Per reviews I've read, people who read the book/play were disappointed in the film.  But I love Meryl Streep and didn't realize that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was in it, so with your recommendation, I'll watch it.

Speaking of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, I watched the movie CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR last night on HBO and loved it.  Now I'll have to read the book by George Crile.  In case I'm not the only one who's just now seen it, it's about a charmng, womanizing, boozing U.S. Congressman from Texas (played by Tom Hanks) who is a hero when his efforts to assist the Afghanistanis in their war against the Soviet Union are a huge success.  How he does this is fascinating.  Both Hanks and  Hoffman were excellent.

As to 'W', I've never cared much for Oliver Stone's films and tend to ignore them.  So I'll also skip this one on your recommendation, even tho' W was not one of my favorite presidents, to say the least.

marjifay

« Reply #183 on: June 03, 2009, 10:25:40 PM »
I just finished reading REVOLUTIONARY ROAD by Richard Yates.  Interesting, but rather sad.  Now I want to see the movie, which my library has on DVD.  Has anyone read the book or seen the movie?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »
Marjifay, I have done neither -- seen or read, but it is on my Netflix que.  Since I'm currently involved in other books, I'll probably see before I read, just like with the Wallendar series.  But that doesn't bother me, as the books are usually better anyway.

Last night I watched The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, from the book by John Boyne.  I liked the movie, not the subject, and doubt I will read the book.

marjifay

« Reply #185 on: June 04, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
Pedln, I'd not heard of the film (or the book) of THE BOY WITH THE STIPED PAJAMAS.  I'll get the film.  But probably will wait a bit, because the book REVOLUTIONARY ROAD, altho' completely different subject,  kind of put me "thru the wringer."   Need something a little more calming next.  I have THE GREAT GATSBY on my movie que next -- an older and not a great movie, but I want to see what they did with the book.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #186 on: June 05, 2009, 10:12:58 PM »
A conversation with JoanK this evening reminded me of "The Third Man".  This was originally a novella by Graham Greene, appearing in 2 installments in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine; I read it there, and saw the movie when it came out.  A year or so ago, I both reread the novella and watched the movie (Netflix has it).  Both still seem good, and especially, the movie is still definitely worth watching.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #187 on: June 05, 2009, 11:23:13 PM »
PatH, when I joined Netflix 4 or 5 years ago, the first film I requested was The Third Man, can still here that theme song in my ears.  After reading your post I started looking for the book, but none of the libraries around here have it.  And from what I read online, it was never really written to be a book, but was supposed to have been a screenplay.  And many say the film is much better.  Guess it's time to watch it again.

Babi

« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2009, 09:16:03 AM »
 I saw "The Third Man" so long ago, all I remember is a shadowy figure that must have made a deep impression on me at the time.  I don't think I really understood all that was happening.  I wonder if the Netflix copy has closed captioning?  I would like to see it again.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #189 on: June 06, 2009, 10:58:53 AM »
Babi, everything I get from Netflix has captions or subtitles.  Yes, Third Man.  I agree with you about the shadowy figure.  Lots of fog?  Did they go in the sewers?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2009, 05:35:16 PM »
Fog, sewers, a Ferris wheel, all sorts of good stuff.

Babi

« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2009, 09:24:39 AM »
 Most do, PEDLN, but we've gotten a couple that did not.  Most disappointing.
Still, I think I'll put 'The Third Man' on the queue and see how it goes.  I would like to see if I can resolve the puzzlement from my previous viewing, now that I am older and more experienced.   8)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2009, 10:33:02 AM »
Here’s a link to a review of The Taking of Pelham 123, and I don’t think there’s a spoiler there.  I never read the book and I never saw the earlier (1974?) movie, but this apparently is an updated, modern technology version.  James Gandolfini as the mayor of New York – that’s a switch.  And I love this – in the earlier film, Walter Mattau played a character named Zachary G – now in this film, Denzel Washington plays the same character, but they’ve given him the name of Walter G.  Ooh, I do love directors with a sense of  .   .    .   ..

The Taking of Pelham 123

Tomereader1

« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2009, 10:50:24 AM »
I read the Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 when it was published.  I saw the original movie.  Don't know why Hollywood thinks they have to re-make movies (to add in special effects, crashes and explosions; bad language)?  Oh, I love Denzel, but the logic of this remake escapes me!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2009, 11:22:03 AM »
Well, Tomereader, PBS does it all the time -- note their updates on Agatha Christies -- past and upcoming.

It's been 35 years since Pelham, and most likely a director's or screenwriter's dream to see how the scenario fits in a post Guiliani, post 9/11 world.  And they're got a brand new audience that probably doesn't even know the earlier version exists -- and wouldn't relate to it if they did.

But, some things are sacred.  Just don't let them update  ---

Casablanca
African Queen
Sound of Music

and -- what else, what are your 'untouchables."

Tomereader1

« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2009, 12:00:26 PM »
Pedln, your three of course, and GWTW!  The King and I.   I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them at this moment.  Mebbe later.

Oh, and the one with Deborah Kerr and Burt Lancaster!  (I feel sure they have already remade it, but anything couldn't compare to one scene (kissin' on the beach!) Wow!

André Maurois

Gumtree

« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »
Tomereader : The Kerr/Lancaster was From Here to Eternity - and weren't they both in Elmer Gantry - another untouchable.

Though it's far too soon to remake it  - Evita - with Madonna and Jonathon Price - I saw it six times at the movies and have the DVD .
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Tomereader1

« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2009, 12:17:44 PM »
It was Jean Simmons in Elmer Gantry!

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
But the Brynner/Kerr "King" was an update from the original with Irene Dunne. And the musical has been remade, with Jody Foster (?) as Anna.

And I do love the African Queen.  But I heard somewhere that Sean Connery had bought the property.  And, IMHO, he is more than welcome to do a remake - as long as he plays Charlie.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marjifay

« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2009, 01:38:28 PM »
I loved the African Queen with Humphrey Bogart.

As for Sean Connery, he was the best of the James Bonds, but IMO he hasn't made a good film since.

Marj