Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 552569 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #4200 on: February 06, 2019, 02:45:05 AM »
I just saw The Ladies in Lavender with Judi Dench and Maggie Smith on Amazon Prime. It’s from a short story. The women are sisters living on a rugged beach in England. A young Polish man is swept off a ship that was taking him to America during WWII, the women find him on their beach. I don’t understand the title, I don’t think they wore lavender in the movie altho I wasn’t watching for that until the end. I was caught up in watching the two of them. It was a simple little story, but it was JUDI and MAGGIE! Need I say more?

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #4201 on: February 06, 2019, 07:34:13 AM »
I remember the movie. The reference to lavender eludes me, too. A quick skim of the short-story upon which the movie is based did not help. I will have to read it in full later. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/50479/50479-h/50479-h.htm#chap02 The author of the short-story, William J. Locke, also wrote Stella Maris and At the Gate of Samaria among others. Wikipedia says that 24 of his stories fostered movies. As a bit of trivia, his story Viviette , included in the cast of the silent movie by the same name was one Harrison Ford. This first Ford was a victim of the advance from silents to talking movies. I have no idea if he was related to the current Harrison Ford.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4202 on: February 06, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »
I dimly remember reading the short story a long time ago, but no details.

A lot of actors lost their jobs when sound came in--their voices weren't as good as their looks.  Looking up Harrison Ford, I couldn't find any relationship to the older actor.  Just a coincidence, I guess.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #4203 on: February 06, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »
Saw the movie back some time ago - I thought lavender Ladies simply referred to their age - a typical description that women of a certain age dressed in clean but not updated clothes and they scented everything - clothes in drawers and closets to sheets on the bed with lavender. As I remember the sister played by Judy Dench inappropriately fell in love with the young man as if she was not an elder.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #4204 on: February 06, 2019, 07:29:55 PM »
The “lavender” description makes sense Barb. I couldn’t decide if Ursula fell in love with the young man or was regretting that she had not had, and probably would never have, a “real” love and therefore using him to dream about the possibility, because at one point Janet says “he’s just a boy” and Ursula says “I know.” In any case, it was enjoyable to watch.
Thanks for the G- berg link, Frybabe, I’ll look at those stories.
Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4205 on: February 06, 2019, 11:46:04 PM »
Jean I think she was torn and at times living a fantasy - in one breath she loved him as if she were also a young women and in the next breath she realized her age and how inappropriate till the time she was outdoors in her nightgown - the end I thought was so sad and he had his fame he hardly had time for them and they with good grace knew it but it was sad that I saw as an analogy to the entire story - they did all with love but he being young his youth was not different than his fame and in both they were not in his orbit however they gave all they had including their love.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #4206 on: February 12, 2019, 12:51:32 PM »
Agree, Barb.

hats

« Reply #4207 on: May 08, 2019, 02:17:36 PM »
Barb, you can really describe a movie. I feel like getting a bag of popcorn and crying. Hi mabel1015j, I need to make more time for movies. I've read somewhere that there are plans for Viola Davis to star in small great things. The novel is written by Jodi Picoult. I am almost finished it. Now I'm in a courtroom. I'm one of those people who always prefers the book. If the movie doesn't happen, I won't worry. I checked this title out of the library twice. Glad I didn't give up and not read it. The story about Ruth, a hospital nurse, is remarkable.

Frybabe

« Reply #4208 on: December 29, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »
Looks like this discussion needs a little exercise.

I watched a movie last evening based on a 1978 book by Penelope Fitzgerald called The Bookshop (2017). I have not read the book, so cannot compare the film and the book. Julie Christie narrated the story. The only two actors I recognized by name were Bill Nighy and Patricia Clarkson, but I did recognize the face of James Lance. It was a pleasant movie, nothing to tax the brain or cause alarm. The ending surprised me.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4209 on: December 29, 2019, 08:58:46 PM »
I enjoyed "The Bookshop" very much.  The ending was a surprise to me also (and I didn't love it).  We did "Small Great Things" in my f2f book group.  It was well-received, and produced great discussion. (except for a pompous arse, who came in from a group at another library, they probably kicked him out).  Our group's consensus was so unusual, as we never, and I mean never complain about a visitor and their input.  However, when he left at the end of the meeting, everyone was shaking their heads and wishing that he never comes back. (so far he hasn't) LOL.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4210 on: December 30, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
You were lucky, Tomereader, sometimes someone like that can kill a group.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4211 on: December 30, 2019, 08:57:07 PM »
We read the Bookshop here and actually received a letter from Penelope Fitzgerald. I thought it was super. I love the way she writes.

I've often wondered how a face to face book club manages difficult people. It would seem to me it would take a lot of courage to participate in one.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4212 on: December 30, 2019, 10:34:03 PM »
We haven't had a lot of difficult people in our 2 groups over the years (we've been going since 2005 I think) but this was a first for us, and this person made mention of the fact that the leader of the group where he had been going did not pick good books, and other disrespectful comments, and that he was checking out other groups in our area.  I think he probably got the same response in his "old" group and he did in ours.  Almost deadly quiet, discussion responses totally opposite of his ideas. Blechhh! We have travelled a lot of miles in our group (years) without the likes of him, and still have about 8 of our original members, with new additions welcomed.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #4213 on: February 26, 2020, 10:40:08 AM »
Little Women seems to be the rage lately...may come even to our small town theatre.  Has anyone seen it and would you share your reaction?

I'm watching the Virgin River series on Netflix, based on books by Robyn Carr.  It doesn't follow the books exactly, but I love the casting and I'm ok with the movie changes.  Other readers are not, of course, but I guess that's par for the course.

Have you seen any movies you've really enjoyed lately?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4214 on: February 27, 2020, 05:14:49 AM »
I read so much as a kid - in fact I read every book in the children's section by the time I was in 8th grade - the one book I did not like and never finished as I kept shaking my head back and forth while reading was Little Women - to me they were, even Jo, the most insipid group of girls/women I ever knew or ever read about - needless to say when the movie came along it has not on my 'go to' list. At least Jane Austin writes of women that show some spunk. 

Frybabe

« Reply #4215 on: February 27, 2020, 05:34:24 AM »
I haven't seen any movies lately except for Forward Unto Dawn which is a SciFi I like to watch every once in a while. I do have some movies I would like to see that are releasing this year:

Artemis Fowl - May 29

The French Dispatch - July 24

The King's Man - Sept 28

News of the World - Dec 25 - Have audio book - excellent. Tom Hanks stars

The Tomorrow War - Dec. 25

Then there is Call of he Wild in which Harrison Ford stars. Not sure I actually want to see this one. Read the book eons ago. Good book, but for some reason, i am not fond of the idea that Harrison Ford has the lead role. I always thought of the main character as being a lot younger. But then, Hollywood does magic with make-up and costuming.

Mostly I have been watching documentaries on Amazon Prime and YouTube.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #4216 on: February 27, 2020, 01:11:26 PM »
Me, too, on watching things at home. I've never been a big "movie" person and have no clue who all these "stars" are that are mentioned from time to time. Yep, I'm old.  My family set me up with Netflix and Amazon Prime, and I have found some series I enjoy there on these cold winter nights. 

I see 1917 is here locally, but no war movies for me. 

jane

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4217 on: February 27, 2020, 01:49:10 PM »
I hear 1917 is very good - there is a new book out about the war I would like to read -  Hidden History: The Secret Origins of the First World War. by Gerry Docherty which is supposed to go into the real cause of the war which the author's research shows it was not the shooting of the Archduke. According to the sounds bite it started 10 years before by a group of men in London who wanted to destroy Germany.

"Our understanding of these events has been firmly trapped in a web of falsehood and duplicity carefully constructed by the victors at Versailles in 1919 and maintained by compliant historians ever since. The official version is fatally flawed, warped by the volume of evidence they destroyed or concealed from public view."

Two of my grandsons are coming to visit me for a few days towards the end of March - they are both movie buffs and are bringing with them some devise so that we can see both 1917 and Downton Abby that I missed in the theaters. They were big Downton fans and their curiosity about WWI came from watching that series.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #4218 on: February 28, 2020, 12:26:11 PM »
I enjoyed the book “News of the World”.  Think it will make an interesting movie.  I’ve enjoyed most of Tom Hank’s movies.  Think he will do it justice.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #4219 on: February 28, 2020, 12:44:07 PM »

I'd not heard of that book, FlaJean, but I really like Tom Hanks.  His movies have always been enjoyable.

jane

Frybabe

« Reply #4220 on: February 28, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »
Jane, I went looking for a review/synopsis of News of the World, but couldn't find one that pretty much sums it up than the one on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/News-World-Paulette-Jiles/dp/1511356812  It is a wonderful part for Hanks. I am really looking forward to the movie. There isn't a trailer for the movie yet, but I did find one of the author talking about the book and what inspired her to write it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Agp-0DObUo

Tomereader1

« Reply #4221 on: February 28, 2020, 06:26:45 PM »
Jane, get the book!  It's wonderful, and another of those books that they cast someone in the lead part, that you don't think fits (think Jack Reacher/Tom Cruise).  While I'm sure Tom Hanks loved the book and couldn't wait to get the movie rights to it, I do not feel that he personifies the lead character.  I hope he does good service to the movie.  This is just IMHO!

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #4222 on: February 29, 2020, 07:01:38 AM »
That was my first thought too, Tome. But I couldn't think of who else might be better in the role, still can't. At any rate, I think he will do well in the role. I didn't think that Harrison Ford playing the lead in Call of the Wild was the best choice either. I always thought of that character as someone younger. Trouble is, I've not kept up with the younger actors. I was just looking at a list of actors 30=50 years of age and the only one I thought might fit would be Willem Defoe. I think he would have done justice to either one of these roles.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #4223 on: February 29, 2020, 09:11:57 AM »
Thanks!  I’m on a WL for it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4224 on: February 29, 2020, 10:34:34 AM »
I could see either Jeff Bridges or Sam Eliot in the part - I love Tommy lee Jones and he is from and lives near that part of Texas but he is not as smooth looking as I imagine the Captain to be.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4225 on: February 29, 2020, 02:46:21 PM »
My first thought, and fervent wish, was Sam Elliott.  That deep resonant voice and age, would have been perfect for the Captain.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #4226 on: February 29, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »
Oooooo! Sam Elliot. Yes. He sits real tall and "purty" on a horse. He has been doing a TV show called The Ranch . It is on Netflix. This year is it's last. I  forgot about him and Tommy Lee Jones. Jones finished two movies last year that will release this year, Wander and The Comeback Trail. Neither one of those sounds interesting to me.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4227 on: February 29, 2020, 05:23:52 PM »
Looks like we are all seeing similar actors for the part - the problem I see with Tom Hanks is he does not have that look of having spent years in the saddle out of doors - his chubby look even when thin is not the tough hard windswept look of a Tommy Lee Jones who does spend his time in the saddle or Jeff Bridges who did not spend years in the saddle either but has the right look - and Eliot has that gaunt look that we associate with those who experience the harrowing escapades in the book - sure Tom Hanks could pull of the readings and maybe even the philosophical part where he has to decide to give the child back where she is not really wanted but it is all the other part of the story that he just does not fit right - even when he was the caste away he lost weight but he did not have that tough hard western look.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4228 on: March 03, 2020, 06:53:37 PM »
One of the headings asks do you see the movie first, or read the book first.  I have another question:how many movies have you seen that are better than the book?  Off the top of my head, I'm only coming up with one.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4229 on: March 03, 2020, 07:32:23 PM »
A few movies I liked better - My Fair Lady --- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang --- Maltese Falcon --- Doctor Zhivago

If the book had a lasting impression I seldom want to see the movie - as a kid few had so disappointed me I do not want to risk that happening again - as great as Mary Poppins was it was not like reading the story when I was a kid and I hated what they did with Gone With the Wind and where they took out some of what is racist filming Cimarron, it lost its punch and Drums Along the Mohawk both the early version and later was a disaster.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4230 on: March 04, 2020, 10:33:07 AM »
The movie I thought was better than the book was The African Queen.  It's funnier, and a tighter story, and of course has the unfair advantage of Hepburn and Bogart.  The only way the book excels is in the sailing.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4231 on: March 04, 2020, 01:57:45 PM »
Didn't Know African Queen was a book - need to find it although I've seen the movie several times - the glory of those actors would override any of my imagination while reading so I probably wouldn't read it after I even find the book.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4232 on: March 04, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »
It's by C. S. Forester, who wrote the Horatio Hornblower novels.  It's probably not worth bothering to find.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4233 on: March 04, 2020, 03:58:40 PM »
well no wonder it was chosen for a movie - quite a writer and he always uses the place as if a character which thinking, I can see that now in the movie.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4234 on: March 10, 2020, 12:58:56 PM »
On the question which do you do first? I like ordinarily to get the characters in my head via the book and then see the movie, which is always a startling change to what I had envisioned.

When I see the movie first I normally have to make concessions when I read the book but right now the opposite is true, in that I am watching Wolf Hall the movie again in preparation for the last of the trilogy which will come out Wednesday of The Mirror and the Light, for which some of us have waited  for 10 years.

I did not think I was interested in the book,  originally,  but saw the incredible performances in the movie and found when I did read the two first books they seamlessly fit into what I had imagined and brought it to life so well:  I mean Mark Rylance, Jonathan Pryce, you really need say no more.

I have the last 2 episodes of the 6 left to watch tomorrow as I was getting foggy on the events and who was who, and so I can't wait for Wednesday to start the new book of which I have read the first chapter online of and I can hear Mark Rylance in Cromwell's speech. I do think the movie first gives an indelible impression.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4235 on: March 10, 2020, 02:37:25 PM »
Yes I agree Ginny - for this one it was the acting of Mark Rylance that for me made the story not another Henry the VIII but a riveting story as if I knew nothing about the who, what, where and how. Do you know, was the book released in England and only now in the US or is everyone reading it at the same time? I also wonder if there will be a sequel movie. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4236 on: March 10, 2020, 04:51:46 PM »
 I don't know, I understood that the 10th would be the first day for everybody but I might be wrong.  It just now came in the mail!!!! And it's wonderful and hard to put down.  I thought Wednesday was the 10th but it's today! And here it is!

I think Hilary Mantel is writing the stage play for it now so I assume that they will (fingers crossed) also make a movie out of it, with the same cast, because I can't imagine another Cromwell.

In Edit: apparently it has  sold 95,000 copies in the first three days.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #4237 on: March 21, 2020, 11:16:09 AM »
OK...so here's my dilemma...I'm not a big movie person, BUT, our current situation has made me desperate for some diversions. I'm reading, of course, and the "kids" have me set up with Netflix, and Prime Video. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for movies or shows available on those two?  I've watched the Virgin River series twice and am working my way through Hart of Dixie.  I've watched some Grace and Frankie and the movie Life As We Know It (I think that was the title).

NOW, the tricky...aka...picky part. I don't do horror, war, torture, angst, history/historical, "classics."

Basically, I'm shallow....I want light, fun, don't have nightmares suggestions. 

jane

Tomereader1

« Reply #4238 on: March 21, 2020, 12:52:55 PM »
Jane, "The Intern" with Robt. DeNiro, Anne Hathaway.  I think you'll love it.  I'll think of others, but I haven't finished my morning coffee yet, LOL!!

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4239 on: March 21, 2020, 02:51:47 PM »
Jane do they include foreign films - I find so many of the French films to be fun - I love the films with Patrick Bruel - he has a few serious but most of his are romantic comedies Love at First Child is a delight and there is an Irish film Waking Ned Devine that is a riot, small village and one guy wins the big national lottery - they try to find out who is the winner and in the process the find him dead in his chair holding the ticket - what happens then is an absolute riot - another French film is Mid-August Lunch - a middle aged son who stays in Paris during the national holiday month to help out his mom who has these women friends and he ends up preparing a lunch for them - again a good laugh.