Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 552868 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #480 on: January 19, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »

So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

An interesting site, Jackie.  I need to explore it more. I’ve come across it when looking for individual reviews on Google, but never really understood how it worked.  Wikipedia explained the categories – Certified Fresh (more than 75% positive reviews), Fresh (more than 60% positive), and Rotten (less than 60% positive reviews.)

Another study by USA Today in 2003, unrelated to Rotten Tomatoes, also produced similar results: "the better the reviews, the higher the box office". The newspaper found that, contrary to popular belief, film critics and moviegoers agree more often than not.[9]
    fromn Wikipedia.

Guess I should have checked there before requesting Mr. and Mrs. Smith (A. Jolie, B. Pitt) from Netflix.  Couldn’t get through half of it.  Just plain boring.  2 stars.  And Paraiso Travel didn’t fare much better, although I did watch it all.  Columbian film.  Three stars, which is okay.  Maybe it was mood, but I just didn’t care about the characters.

On the other hand, last night I just loved the final of Return to Cranford, and wish there was more.

JimNT

« Reply #481 on: January 22, 2010, 06:29:08 PM »
Among my favorite authors is Cormac McCarthy.  I found The Road to be outstanding and was looking forward to the release of the movie.  It must be good because it didn't stay in the theaters very long.  I have it earmarked in Netflix so as to get it as soon as it's available.  If anybody has seen it I'd love to hear their take.

Babi

« Reply #482 on: January 23, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »
 It was a great book, JIM, but I'm not sure I want to see the movie. Some of the scenes were so grim to read, they are bound to be even more so to watch. That may be why it didn't stay very long in the theaters.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #483 on: January 23, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »
Usually when a movie does not stay in theatres very long, is because it's not making money, (no one going to see it).  I think word of mouth sank this movie.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mrssherlock

« Reply #484 on: January 23, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »
Jim:  I'm a McCarthy fan also.  His west is a grim place but his characters shine through the grit and grime, don't they?
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #485 on: February 01, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »
Last night I watched  On the Waterfront with Marlon Brando and Eva Marie Saint.  I really don't know if I ever saw if before or not, or had just heard a lot about it.  But why is it considered a great film?  I won't fault the acting, and I applaud the lack of profanity.  For me, there wasn't that much of a plot.  I compare it to another film, Casablanca, and for me there is no comparison.  Casablanca is a great film and I'll watch it again.  Waterfront, I won't say it was boring, but I doubt I'll watch it again.

What are your thoughts on some of these former greats?  What makes a film lasting?

mabel1015j

« Reply #486 on: February 01, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »
Wasn't The Magic of Ordinary Days a book? Hallmark did a nice job presenting it on tv - was it on Sunday? ................jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #487 on: February 01, 2010, 11:13:26 PM »
I'm sorry I missed that, Jean.  It sounds like a good one.  Yes, it is a book by Ann Howard Creel,  who is primarily a YA author.  This is her first adult novel.

Gumtree

« Reply #488 on: February 07, 2010, 09:50:42 AM »
I'm just beginning to catch up the posts after several weeks absence and enjoyed reading the discussion. Can't respond to all I would like to but there are a couple I just can't resist...

JimNT: I agree totally with you about Citizen Kane. I really can't see what the fuss was about. Maybe it was because Welles targetted a major public figure and perhaps showed him in an unsympathetic light.
I feel the same about The Third Man - it just didn't appeal to me at all - and I should say that I loved Joseph Cotton who starred alongside Welles in that one.

The Soloist and Brief Encounter are both on my rental Q - (we don't  have Netflix here in the land 'downunder'but something similar).

PatH - Ciaran Hinds as Rochester gets my vote too - IMO he is always superb - He made a wonderful Henshard sp? in The Mayor of Casterbridge and was great as a villain in Veronica Geurin. As for the part of Captain Frederick Wentworth in Persuasion - he was made for it. You could say I'm biassed but he is  such a good actor that his performances stay with you - well, with me anyway.  ;D

I really came in just to say I watched Capote last night. Such a brilliant film - Phillip Seymour Hoffman does it again but I found the speech mannerisms difficult at times.
I first noticed him as an actor in Cold Mountain - he was so believable that I hated him.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #489 on: February 08, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »
Gumtree, I agree with everything you say about Ciaran Hinds, especially about his performance as Henchard.  He totally makes you see what that dark, partly unsympathetic character is about.

JimNT

« Reply #490 on: February 09, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »
Hesitantly started the John Adams series provided thru Netflix.  I was pleasently awarded a well acted, informative film of the early republic.  It was produced by Tom Hanks, et al, and stars Paul Giamatti.  I think there are several discs in the series and I'm awaiting number 2.  I highly recommend this little known (at least to me) series.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #491 on: February 09, 2010, 12:16:56 PM »
Yes, Jim, Giamatti does a fine job, and also Laura Linney as Abigail.  I borrowed the set from a friend and did not have time to finish it, but want to go back to it.

Right now I'm watching Possession, based on A.S. Byatt's book, but I think I"m not taking it all in.  Perhaps it's the frequent and very short flashbacks that occur.  I'm thinking I need to read the book first, and then watch the film again, more closely.  I had it checked from the library, but then three reserve books became available before I even started.  So instead, I'm now reading Byatt's The Children's Book.

Does Byatt always write about literary matters?  Both Possession and The Children's Book seem  to be about that.

Gum, I didn't realize that P.S. Hoffman had played in so many films.  I liked him in The Savages and Charlie Wilson's WAr, as well as Capote.  Will have to go back now and watch some of the earlier ones.

salan

« Reply #492 on: February 09, 2010, 06:25:22 PM »
Jim, I watched the John Adams series when it was on HBO.  I thought it was excellent and that all the actors did a fantastic job.  I would like to watch it again.  I may have to rejoin Netflix !
Sally

Gumtree

« Reply #493 on: February 09, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »
Pedln  Seymour Hoffman played the kind of characters one doesn't really notice in a film except that he did it so well that they stay with one. I guess that finally the directors noticed how good he is too and started giving him the major roles.

I haven't read a lot of A.S Byatt but think she often uses literary allusions. I didn't care for the film of Possession which simply passes over a lot of the content (as films tend to do) there is just so much in the writing that needs to be taken in slowly and savoured.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #494 on: February 10, 2010, 11:24:13 PM »
I gave up on the film Possession.  Maybe someday, after I read the book.  But am now watching one that came today from Netflix, The Laughing Policeman.  I don't know how it ended up on my queue or who recommended it or what, but surprise surprise, it's a police thriller starring Walter Mathau, not exactly a new production -- 1974.  I'm in the mood for some action, so will stick with this one. My favorite Mathau is Pete n Tillie, also starring CArol Burnett, but is apparently not yet available in DVD format.

marjifay

« Reply #495 on: February 11, 2010, 02:19:48 AM »
I love Walter Matthau, Pedln!  Haven't seen Laughing Policeman.  My very favorite of his is A NEW LEAF with Elaine May (1971)  So funny!

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JimNT

« Reply #496 on: February 11, 2010, 05:10:35 PM »
I saw an awful film last eve but with superb acting and a somewhat curious twist to a well-worn plot.  It's titled Lymelife and stars Alex Baldwin, who I roundly despise despite his excellent ability to act.  My purpose in mentioning this movie at all is simply to read your comments.
The movie is really not worth your time but, like me, maybe you were forced into viewing it, possibly at gunpoint.

salan

« Reply #497 on: February 12, 2010, 07:33:19 AM »
Shutter Island is soon to be released.  I really liked the book (Dennis LeHane) and am anxious to see the movie.  Did any of you read the book?  If so, what did you think?
Sally

Babi

« Reply #498 on: February 12, 2010, 09:04:38 AM »
 You'll get no comments from me, JIM. After your review, I have no
intention of spending my valuable time on that move.

I've been seeing previews of Shutter Island, SALLY, and it looks really
weird. Didn't know there was a book.  I think I'll wait and see what
kind of comments it gets before I decide whether or not to watch it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #499 on: February 12, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
After having seen endless previews of Shutter Island on TV, I got the book by Lehane from my library.  I enjoyed it, but was left with a feeling of "incompleteness" somehow.  From the movie clips, I think they are going more for the scare tactics than the psychological scare!
And from reading the book, remember "all is not as it seems".  At least until you get to the ending.  And then some!  I hope the movie doesn't do the book a disservice, because it was a nifty psychological thriller.
I will probably wait until it comes to DVD, and as my husband says, "it's not my kind of movie"!  I don't mind a good scare, without the "slasher" emphasis though.  The scariest movie I have EVER seen was Hitchcock's "Psycho", only the original, none of the follow ups were even close!  Read the book, and wait until Shutter Island comes to DVD, then make your judgement, as will I.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #500 on: February 12, 2010, 09:39:41 PM »
Tomereader,  Psycho is one movie I never ever want to see again.  I agree with you about "scariest."  I saw it back in the 60's with my visiting mother-in-law, and remember the next day when a neighbor came and said, "think about it during your next shower." 

salan

« Reply #501 on: February 13, 2010, 07:46:20 AM »
Psycho ruined showers for me for several years.  Every time I closed the shower curtain I kept feeling like someone was on the other side with a knife!!  The movie Jaws spoiled the beach for me for a short period of time.  I had trouble getting in above my knees!  I have a very active imagination.  Now that I live alone I avoid "creepy" books.  There are too many good books out there to fill my mind with more pleasant images!
Sally

Gumtree

« Reply #502 on: February 13, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »
Seeing Psycho once was enough for me. and Hitchcock's 'The  Birds' from a short story by Daphne du Maurier simply terrified me - all those sharp beaks - took me a long time to look at a kookaburra again with any affection. I've never seen Jaws - we have sharks in plenty along our coastline - they are a real and present danger to all swimmers and surfers (like me - ouch!) so I didn't fancy the film at all.

This week we watched The Hunt for Red October again after many years - was amazed at the 'presence' Sean Connery brought to his role - Sam Neill and Alec Baldwin were also pretty good as was Tim Curry from The Rocky Horror Picture Show fame.

Tonight we watched Miss Potter and loved every minute of it.
I missed it at the movies and hadn't seen it before. Great movie - Aussie director - Aussie wrote the music - need I go on?

Tomereader1

« Reply #503 on: February 13, 2010, 11:56:48 AM »
It was probably 20-25 years before I was able to watch Psycho again without losing sleep.  I couldn't sleep for a week after the first time. In fact, it probably was 20 years+ before I even watched it again! A bunch of girls at work and I had gone  to see it...bad idea!  We were all freaked out!  Yep, Jaws was a goodie.  It still makes me jump when that shark comes up out of the water at the rear of the boat, and the guy says "we're gonna need a bigger boat".!  Liked "The Birds" too.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #504 on: February 13, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »
P. S.  As far as showers, an even scarier thing for me is the scene from Bird On A Wire where Goldie Hawn is showering and a big roach crawls on her head!  Ughhh, that both grosses me out and scares the crap outta me!

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #505 on: February 13, 2010, 12:54:04 PM »
I've never been a horror movie fan, so I have managed to avoid most of them with little effort.

Babi

« Reply #506 on: February 14, 2010, 09:31:32 AM »
 I can understand about the roach, TOMEREADER.  It's unlikely one
of us will ever run into a homicidal maniac but the blasted roaches are
all too common.
  I enjoyed an occasional good scare when I was young enough to think
nothing could happen to me.  Now, I've lost my taste for horror and like
FRYBABE, I avoid them. Would not watch 'Silence of the Lambs' no matter great a movie it was supposed to be.

Gumtree

« Reply #507 on: February 14, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »
Silence of the Lambs - I wouldn't watch it either Babi - Anthony Hopkins notwithstanding!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #508 on: February 14, 2010, 10:42:47 AM »
No horror for me, thanks, but I do like mystery/thrillers, etc.

This is from Marcie’s post in the library.  Lots of good news for film watchers.

FYI, If  you go to the PBS website at Masterpiece  
in the middle of the page, one of the blurbs let's you click to sign up for a giveaway of a set of Jane Austen DVDs. When you complete the form you can either sign up for the email newsletter that announces upcoming PBS programs or just enter the contest.

PBS is going to show an adaptation of James Buchan's The 39 Steps  on Masterpiece Classic on February 28. Read more about it at 39 Steps

Written in the depth of World War I by British public servant John Buchan (later to become Governor General
of Canada), The 39 Steps was eagerly read by soldiers in the trenches, and since then has been adapted several
times for screen, most famously by Alfred Hitchcock in 1935. (A stage adaptation of Hitchcock’s 39 Steps is
currently on Broadway).

To make this experience even more enjoyable, PBS is offering our SeniorLearn readers a free copy of the book but for the postage. These free copies will be available to the first ten people who post a request in our PBS discussion at Masterpiece Discussion  or who email JoanP at jonkie@verizon.net.  Don't miss this one! We'll be talking about both the book and the TV show.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #509 on: February 14, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »
Spamming...
As promised, the poll  to determine our Spring Book Club Online in-depth discussions is now open -
We will stay open until Feb. 26.
 You may vote once.
 Notice  the titles in the Suggestion Box heading are linked to reviews.
Note the two different categories:
 1. Your first choice
 2. All the titles that interest you for future discussion

VOTE HERE - (click this link)

JimNT

« Reply #510 on: February 22, 2010, 11:03:45 AM »
I viewed the last of a three disk series last eve of Adam's presidency.  This is a well done series with excellent acting.  Tom Hanks was cited as one of the executive producers.  I enjoy bios of American presidents and wonder if there are many others I've overlooked.  Might anyone give me a clue?  I am about to complete a very readable book titled What It Takes by Richard Ben Crammer.  It's a tome, about 1,100 pages and has taken me sometime (I'm not a fast reader) but the content is so interesting. 

Tomereader1

« Reply #511 on: February 22, 2010, 11:11:41 AM »
This might better belong in the "Mystery" group, but since it now has a movie made from it, I guess it can go here too.  They have taken Dennis Lehane's "Shutter Island" and made it into a movie.  From the clips I have seen, they have used a "horror-type" theme, rather than the wonderful psychological thriller the book is.  I think I will wait till it appears on DVD to see it.  The book was good, but you had to pay attention, especially near the ending.

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #512 on: February 22, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »
Jim, did you ever see the one-man film, Give em Hell, Harry, starring James Whitmore as Harry Truman.  It was truly remarkable and I do hope they bring it back in the form of DVD someday.  It's apparently available on VHS.

JimNT

« Reply #513 on: February 23, 2010, 08:53:03 AM »
Harry is somewhat my hero.  There were many great presidents and Harry certainly numbers among them.  No, I haven't seen this DVD.  I will immediately look it up on Netflix; they might have it.  I've read practically every book on him and am particular partial to David Mc Collough's Truman.  Thanks for the tip and should you come across a source let me know.  Incidentally, last eve I saw with great pleasure What the Lord Made (sic) about a white doctor and his black assistant who together made a great medical breakthrough in the early forties.  It's a true story.  Bring along a box of Kleenex.

mrssherlock

« Reply #514 on: February 28, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »
Having seen trailers for Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" I'm going to give it a pass. It scares me; the make-up and costumes are not funny.  Doesn't seem like a children's story.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #515 on: March 01, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »
 True stories that call for Kleenex always do appeal to me, JIM.  I'll see if my library has it.
Thanks..

marjifay

« Reply #516 on: March 01, 2010, 01:04:28 PM »
We saw Shutter Island at a Drive-in Theater last night. Can't say I'd recommend it -- we were somewhat disappointed. A little too melodramatic and over-the -top hard to believe. But then I'm not a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio. Altho' he did a couple of good films, he reminds me of a young kid trying to look and act like a grownup.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Phyll

« Reply #517 on: March 01, 2010, 01:12:45 PM »
I only saw one Tim Burton movie in my life.....perhaps I should say, I only saw part of one Tim Burton movie.  We walked out!  Tim Burton is not on my favorite list and never will be so I don't expect to see how he butchered "Alice".  And Johnny Depp does seem to seek out the bizarre roles, doesn't he?
phyllis

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #518 on: March 01, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »
Haven't been to a drive-in movie in decades. I hope you necked.

serenesheila

« Reply #519 on: March 02, 2010, 12:53:27 AM »
I have only seen one Tim Burton movie.  Never want to see another!  Too weird, and creepy.

Jim. I recently saw a movie on HBO. called "Frost/Nixon".  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  There are several movies about FDR and Eleanor.  Cannot think of the titles right now.  I also saw on about Woodrow Wilson. 

I enjoy learning about all of our presidents.  There are many programs on the History Channel, and the History Internatioal Channel.  I get the military Channel, too.  They have quite a few programs about different times in world history.  A series I highly reccomend is called:  "The First World War".  It is also a book.

Sheila