Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 552826 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #600 on: March 28, 2010, 05:24:06 PM »
So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

Marj, the TV seasons are a really nice part of Netflix.  I first got hooked on them with a British sit-com that I'd never seen on US TV -- As Time Goes By -- with Judi Dench.  So much fun.

Phyll --Re: House of Cards  --  I don't remember any x-rated ones. Would that be disc III -- the final cut?

I was surprised when my son told me that his family was Law and Order from Netflix. There's not enough of it on TV?   :-*

Frybabe

« Reply #601 on: March 28, 2010, 08:27:40 PM »
I'll have to look into House of Cards. I like Ian Richardson.

Pedln, you've never seen As Time Goes By on TV? My PBS station runs that and a few others. Sat. night is Brit night here.

Phyll

« Reply #602 on: March 29, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
The first season was called "House of Cards", the second, "To Play the King"; the third, "Final Cut".  There was some nudity in To Play the King and some sex scenes and more nudity in Final Cut.  I found them to be unnecessary to the telling of a good story but then...that is the way of television writers, isn't it?  The whole series is made excellent by the acting of Ian Richardson but he also had a great supporting cast.  I understand the British public was upset with To Play the King because of the way the character of the King (who was supposedly based on Charles) was portrayed.  I really recommend it.  It is more than worth the price of Netflix.   
phyllis

Babi

« Reply #603 on: March 30, 2010, 08:30:15 AM »
I watched 'As Time Goes By' and thoroughly enjoyed it. It ran on PBS on
Sunday evenings, as I recall. House of Cards I didn't watch; the theme was
one that depresses and unsettles me and I saw no point in doing that to
myself.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #604 on: March 30, 2010, 11:07:31 AM »
I tried to watch PBS' SHARPE'S CHALLENGE recommended by someone in this group.  But I was lost right at the beginning -- didn't know who was fighting whom, and needed subtitles because of the British accents.  But I'd like to read one of the books in this series, as it did look interesting.

I watched the 1974 movie, THE GREAT GATSBY, from Netflix, as I'm reading the book with another group.  I didn't expect much, but was surprised to find I really liked the film.  Good acting -- Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, Bruce Dern and Karen Black (how time flies...Karen Black is now 70 years old!)

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #605 on: March 30, 2010, 06:40:27 PM »
"As Time goes By" shows in a loop on our PBS stations -- they show all the episodes, then start again. I've seen each episode at least 3 times, but still watch it.

mrssherlock

« Reply #606 on: March 30, 2010, 07:23:57 PM »
Me, too.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #607 on: March 31, 2010, 09:09:06 AM »
 If you had been with us in the discussion of "KIM", MARJ, you would
have known immediately where you were and what was happening. That really added to my enjoyment of the show. It was India, on the
border between the British-controlled states and those still nominally
in the hands of the Rajahs.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Babi

« Reply #608 on: March 31, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »
have known immediately where you were and what was happening. That really added to my enjoyment of the show. It was India, on the

marjifay

« Reply #609 on: March 31, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
Thanks, Babi.  Sorry I missed the KIM discussion  And I have that book, but have never read it.  Will get it out and read over the SrLearn discussion. 
Marj

Babi said:
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #610 on: April 01, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
 "Kim" is basically a book for youngsters, but grown-ups enjoy it, too, MARJ.  If you have a
chance, by all means dust it off and give it a try. 

JimNT

« Reply #611 on: April 01, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
I usually despise romantic comedy but my dear wife got me hooked on one the other eve titled Family Man with Nicolas Cage and Tea Leoni.  I'm sure it hasn't or want win any awards but for an evening of sheer entertainment, I highly recommend it.  I've always been a Cage fan although some of the scripts he chooses are not my cup of tea, and Leoni, well she's easy on the eyes.  I would categorize it as sentimental and it has a fun plot.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #612 on: April 01, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »
Yes, Marj, do give "Kim" a try.  (I'm not a neutral observer; I've loved the book since I first read it as a kid, and picking it apart for the discussion only made me love it more.)

I finally got around to watching the 1950 movie of "Kim", with Errol Flynn as the horse trader Mahbub Ali and Dean Stockwell as Kim.  It's not a particularly good movie, though it has it's moments, and it does a particularly poor job of the religious side and the character of the lama.  But it was OK as light entertainment.

marjifay

« Reply #613 on: April 02, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »
Thanks, Babi and PatH.  I will dust off KIM and read it.  I bought it some time ago when I was reading TOURNAMENT OF SHADOWS; THE GREAT GAME AND THE RACE FOR EMPIRE IN CENTRAL ASIA by Karl Ernest Meyer.  A great book BTW, as is Peter Hopkirk's THE GREAT GAME.

Marj

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #614 on: April 03, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »
Every time I come to this site I have to open another tab with Netflix.  Jim, I just added Family Man to my queue.

And removed Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.  Whenever I visit my New York daughter I always try to get my 'big screen' fix with a foreign subtitled film. This week's choices were Girl, Vincere (about Mussilini's lovers) and White Ribbon (Germany just before WW I.) Girl worked out best for us logistically.

I don't know how to rate it, have not read the book.  The mystery plot, the acting, very good, interesting.  But very violent, and a lot of sexual scenes.  The three of us who saw it agreed that there was much that was extreme, that could have been left out, and it was a bit long. We all enjoyed the first part of the film, and the final scene was absolutely perfect.  My daughter's friend, who had read the book, said she thought the movie was better than the book.

A good bit will keep you on the edge of your seat -- good plot development, but you will also say, "oh for heaven's sakes, why this."

Can you believe -- $12.50 for a 4:45 pm show?  ($9.00 for seniors)

Frybabe

« Reply #615 on: April 05, 2010, 12:07:57 AM »
Here is a website that my nephew put me onto today. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage   It is about "tricks of the trade" that writers of fiction use. I guess that means literary devices. Oh, in case you are wondering why I put this into this discussion, we were talking about The Book Thief and the movie impending movie. Jason was interested in Death as narrator and Death's little asides and thoughts that are interspersed throughout the book. With a name like TV Tropes, I am guessing the emphasis is on screenwriting and books made into movies and tv programs.

mrssherlock

« Reply #616 on: April 06, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »
Fry:  Just scrolling the index has me salivating.  What fun to read through this.  Thanks and thank your nephew.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JimNT

« Reply #617 on: April 07, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »
On the recommendation of a friend, I just read an autobiography titled The Seventh Muse about the rise from near poverty conditions of a young man to President of Auburn University.  Quite a read.  Short, succcinct, and a page turner.  It's rated 5 stars on Amazon, if that means anything to one.  In this case, I would agree.

Octavia

« Reply #618 on: April 07, 2010, 09:14:42 PM »
I wonder if there's any Doctor Who fans here? The new doctor(Matthew Smith?) is being touted as the best Doctor ever, although it'd be hard to top David Tennant. I saw Matthew in a British series about politics called Party Games, and he was quite good in that.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Sir Terry Pratchett.

Babi

« Reply #619 on: April 08, 2010, 08:23:41 AM »
JIM, do mention that autobiography over in Non-fiction. Ella would be
interested in that book, I believe.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #620 on: April 10, 2010, 03:11:54 PM »
Octavia, I don't think I've ever watched Dr. Who, but I remember that my kids did (as teen-agers) several years ago, and liked it.  I remember think that it was probably quirky or weird.  Funny how we pick up opinions about something without ever really learning if they're on track or not. 

The other night I watched an oldie and loved it -- Paper Chase with John Houseman and Timothy Bottoms.  I'd seen it a couple of times before, but only remembered the final scene. I guess it was a timely choice, what with all the TV news about Justice Stevens retiring.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #621 on: April 21, 2010, 08:22:57 AM »
Has anyone seen anything good?

The other night I watch Two Weeks with Sally Field.  A well-done independent film about a terminally ill mother whose four children have come to be with her for her remaining days.  It sounds depressing, but was not, and even had its humorous parts.

JimNT, Family Man is due to arrive today.  Earlier this week I did watch another Nicholas Cage -- Bad Lieutenant: Port of New Orleans.  I watched the entire film, but it was not my thing -- bad cop show.

Babi

« Reply #622 on: April 21, 2010, 08:44:53 AM »
 I'm a great admirer of Sally Field, both as an actress and as a person.  I don't think I've ever
seen any role she didn't do well.  Thanks for mentioning "Two Weeks", PEDLN.  I'll add that to
my list.

Frybabe

« Reply #623 on: April 21, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »
I watched Last Chance Harvey yesterday. It was okay - a mild movie to watch when you don't want to think too much or don't need a lot of stressful scenes.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #624 on: April 22, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »
Frybabe, I guess you could also say that film is not real memorable.  I went to check it out on Netflix and found I'd given it a 3 about a year ago.  That's my designation for ok, not outstanding.  Both Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson got Golden Globe nominations for their performances.

salan

« Reply #625 on: April 22, 2010, 05:00:11 PM »
The best movie I've seen in a while is The Blind Side with Sandra Bullock.  Did anyone see it and what did you think?  The movie made me laugh, and cry and the fact that it was based on a real life story made it even better.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #626 on: April 23, 2010, 08:09:07 AM »
 I've got 'Blind Side' on my Netflix queue, SALLY.  I've always liked Sandra Bullock's movies and
don't miss one if I can help it.
  "Last Chance Harvey" certainly wasn't what you would call a fast-paced movie, but it left me
with a warm, satisfied feeling.  It wasn't two kids falling in love;  it was two mature, intelligent
adults. Different scene entirely.

JimNT

« Reply #627 on: April 26, 2010, 01:45:57 PM »
I saw Days of Heaven last eve and was treated to some of the most beautiful cinematography I've ever seen in a movie.  A very young Richard Gere and Sam Shepherd comprised the cast but the scenery overshadowed the plot.  It would do well to have a sub woofer to appreciate the wheat harvest machinery sounds.  This one is dated but worth a look.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #628 on: April 26, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »
Jim, I’m so glad you mentioned Days of Heaven.  It sounds fantastic and is definitely going on my queue.  This is what  Netflix reviewers had to say --

This period film, set around 1916, is art in motion.  What takes this movie out of the ordinary is the replacement of slick movie-making with artistic creativeness.

If Andrew Wyeth had been a filmmaker, his movies would have resembled Days of Heaven.

This is the best example of a narrative being told through imagery that I've ever seen.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #629 on: April 26, 2010, 07:52:32 PM »
This is pretty old hat, both as to the book and the movie, but I recently watched the 1956 version of "Moby-Dick", with Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab.  It seems better to me than I remember from 1956.  Director Huston does a good job of capturing the mood and the point of the novel, Peck is great as Ahab, and Richard Baseheart does well as Ishmael.  It sweeps along nicely, building well to the climax.  Special effects aren't what they would be now, but who cares?

An amusing point: the only writer credited beside Melville himself is science fiction writer Ray Bradbury.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #630 on: April 26, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »
Did Bradbury write the screenplay?

Frybabe

« Reply #631 on: April 27, 2010, 07:58:33 AM »
Ray Bradbury screenwriter for Moby Dick? I looked it up and sure enough there he was along with John Huston and Norm Corwin who didn't get credited. Then I looked down the cast list and discovered that Joan Plowright played the part of Starbuck's wife. She also didn't get credited. I must watch this movie again. Haven't seen it in eons. I don't remember Orson Welles being in it, but there he is in the casting list as Father Mapple.

Babi

« Reply #632 on: April 27, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, JIM. Sounds good.

mabel1015j

« Reply #633 on: May 02, 2010, 04:05:47 PM »
Was just watching Moll Flanders on the Independent Channel - the 1996 version, it was quite good, much better than the early version - this had  Robin Wright, Morgan Freeman, and Stockard Channing. It was too hot and humid here today to any thing but be a coach potato. .......jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #634 on: May 08, 2010, 08:52:06 PM »
Those are some good ones, Jean. I don't think I've seen Stockard Channing since West Wing.

Has anyone been watching anything good lately?  I still have Jim’s recommendation of Family Man here, but haven’t seen it yet.  Last night I watched Matt Damen in The Informant – about the price fixing charges against Archer Daniels Midland.  I always enjoy Matt Damen’s films, but some of them have plots that you really have to watch carefully, and such was the case with this one.  For total relaxation I followed up on Ginny’s recommend of My Life in Ruins – lots of good Greek scenery and the many quirks of tour group tourists, and somewhere along the line I picked up How to Make an American Quilt – more quirky characters, including one played by Anne Bancroft.

Those of you who subscribe to Netflix, do you find that you pick up on their recommendations “based on your .  .  . etc.”  For many years I saw very few movies, due to hearing problems, but am now picking them up, films from the ‘80s and ‘90s.  A mixed bag – the goods and not-so-goods.

Has anyone seen Babies?  I’ve saw the previews in NY and have seen the trailers.  A photographer followed four babies from four different parts of the world through their first year.  Awwwwwwwwww.

Babies

This looks like a winner.

Babi

« Reply #635 on: May 09, 2010, 08:44:24 AM »
  I saw that promo, PEDLN, and I think I would love to see the film  It opened around here this
weekend in time for Mother's Day.  Of course, I'll be waiting to see if Netflix picks it up. 
Though since the babies obviously aren't going to be doing much talking,  CC probably won't
matter much.
  I watched "The Lion in Winter" last night.  Haven't seen it since it came out ages ago. Splendid
acting....terrible family! 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #636 on: May 09, 2010, 10:23:58 AM »
Hey, Babi.  I watched bits and pieces of "Lion" too.  I came in after it started, and played my usual game of "what film is this?" and all I could think of was Eleanor of Aquitaine. But it didn't suit the mood of the moment, so I switched to pure escapism with the library DVD of Frantic with Harrison Ford and Betty Buckley (who she?).

Somewhere I read that Babies has practically no dialog.

marjifay

« Reply #637 on: May 09, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »
Lion in Winter was a great film!

Pedlin asked if anyone chooses films to watch based on Netflix recommendations.  I don't.  I watch a lot of films after reading the book.  I belong to several book discussion groups and get lots of good recommendations from people whose choice of books I like.  I also choose from academy award winner lists, NY Times movie reviews, and friends recommendations.  A group from which I've gotten some great suggestions, is the Constant Reader book discussion group.

Some films on my Netflix queue:
Tea With Mussolini
My House in Umbria
Notes on a Scandal (I read the book)
Brideshead Revisited (also read this)
In Bruges
In Old Chicago (1937) 
Revanche (Austrian film)
Frozen River
The Ghost Writer
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #638 on: May 09, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »
I do sometimes get useful recommendations from Netflix, but more often, it's only amusing to figure out why they are recommending this stuff.  For years they have been suggesting Miss Congeniality--I've no idea why, I'm definitely not interested.

Marjifay, which Brideshead Revisited is on your queue?  I haven't seen the 2008 one, but the 1981 many disc version with Anthony Andrews, Jeremy Irons, and Diana Quick plus other greats is a remarkable job of capturing the spirit of the book.  Just about everyone looks right for the part and acts right for the part.  And because they have so much time, they present the book pretty much intact.  It's a magnificent job.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #639 on: May 09, 2010, 11:52:46 PM »
Miss Congeniality is a fun movie - just fluff, but lots of fun.  We watch it on TV from time to time.  You might like it.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."