Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 878426 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1360 on: September 25, 2010, 06:18:15 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

I had forgotten, she has several  stand alones.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1361 on: September 25, 2010, 10:33:03 PM »
Thanks for the tip-off Tomereader.  I may have read this Jance before, but I don't remember it.  Any, I downloaded it.

I wonder just what makes Amazon (or maybe it's the publishers) decide to offer some Kindle titles for free.  These are not public domain items.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1362 on: September 25, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »
I got a free book from Amazon for iPad and liked it so much that I bought another book by that same author.  I'm probably not the only that does that.  Anyway, I did download the free Jance book and realize that I have read it.  But I'll probably read it again some time.  it was an interesting story.

Steph

« Reply #1363 on: September 26, 2010, 05:56:00 AM »
Both Kindle and my Ebook seem to offer a selection of free books that are current. Some of them are new authors and I think it is to encourage everyone to read and possibly buy the next book..

Phyll

« Reply #1364 on: September 26, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
It is a very good and very old marketing ploy.  A teaser.  They give us something for free and draw us in to buy.  I received 20 pages for free of the last book of the Steig Larson trilogy, "The Girl Who Played With Fire", on my B&N Nook.  I read it and though I think he was a wonderful writer I just don't think the subject matter is one for my taste.  But I will probably buy other books from B&N that they give me a sampling of for free in the future.
phyllis

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1365 on: September 26, 2010, 12:07:47 PM »
Kindle provides a free sample of any of their books.  I've used it a number of times - sometimes bought the book, sometimes didn't.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #1366 on: September 27, 2010, 06:11:30 AM »
I have been trying to catch up on book clubs.. both the October selection here and my ftof.. Their October selection is William Faulkner.. and that does not thrill me. He is not in my top 1000 writers.. Just never cared for him. So my IPAD has three books on it,, all free and I have not been reading them at all.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1367 on: September 27, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
Steph:  Another TBR stack of books on your iPad?   ;D
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1368 on: September 27, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »
Steph: I'm with you on Faulkner!

Steph

« Reply #1369 on: September 28, 2010, 06:21:36 AM »
Since I am so new to face to face book clubs, I am trying to be patient with the odd selection of books.. But choosing a classic??? and just sort of picking him out of a librarian suggestion strikes me as foolish. We had a really good crowd for Dan Brown.. The Lost Symbol with a lovely discussion..

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1370 on: September 28, 2010, 10:10:08 AM »
I don't care for Faulkner either.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1371 on: September 28, 2010, 11:19:07 AM »
Steph, I also have a "shelf" full of books on my iPad- mine were all free books at this point. I think that is my favorite thing about my iPad. I told my husband "it's like having a library on my lap." AND I've seen dozens more that I have in my "mental" list. Many of them are out of print biographies or books or articles on history or historiography........it's almost frustrating......Jean

salan

« Reply #1372 on: September 28, 2010, 12:15:44 PM »
Steph, I haven't read Faulkner in a long time.  I did not care for the ones I read--too depressing!  Ftf book clubs (mine in particular) always have at least one or two books that I would not have chosen to read.  I try to read all the selections, since I think it makes for a better discussion if all members have read the selecction.  I have been pleasantly surprised by some and some I have not liked at all.  Sometimes the best discussions come from books that were disliked!
Sally

marjifay

« Reply #1373 on: September 28, 2010, 04:19:33 PM »
Has anyone read William Faulkner's INTRUDER IN THE DUST?  Really  great story about a black man wrongfully accused of murder.  And I loved the 1949 movie made from it

Marge
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1374 on: September 28, 2010, 05:14:41 PM »
 I have read everything that William Faulkner ever wrote...He happens to be my favorite Author...Wouldn't you know it... ???I am always the different one...at least this time it is good to be different in my opinion...  Did not mean to ever post on these boards anymore but could not let such  ugly things be written about my beloved Faulkner and not respond...Joan G
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

mrssherlock

« Reply #1375 on: September 28, 2010, 09:06:10 PM »
joangrimes:
Did not mean to ever post on these boards anymore
???
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Gumtree

« Reply #1376 on: September 29, 2010, 05:03:06 AM »
JoanGrimes: I haven't read a lot of Faulkner but found him a little confronting - which titles would you recommend for me - or which of his titles are your favourites.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #1377 on: September 29, 2010, 06:04:23 AM »
 JoanG... why would you not post? I love to hear what you are reading. I know lots of people love Faulkner.. I just thought for this book club, which is not well organized that a different type of classic would be more accessible.

Babi

« Reply #1378 on: September 29, 2010, 09:09:45 AM »
 Do you know, I've seen the movies made from Faulkner novels and found them generally
fascinating, tho' definitely intense.  Yet I've never read any of them.  It may be seeing them
acted out is easier, especially since the films all featured top-notch actors.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1379 on: September 29, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »
A new novel is out by Donna Leon, Willful Behavior, a Guido Brunetti mystery.  Naturally, I am way down on the reserve list  >:(

For those of you that like Alexander McCall Smith's Philosophy Club books with Isabel Dalhousie, a new book is coming out The Charming Quirks of Others.  The library has it on order and I am already 4th on their reserve list.  I know some here don't care for this series, but I really enjoy it.  However, I do get frustrated at times with Isabel and her constant worrying.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1380 on: September 29, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »
I like that series, too, although it's not for everyone. And this baby, that never seems to interupt their quiet, philosophical life, is too much!!

I've just found another McCall Smith series that really isn't for everyone -- Portuguese Irregular Verbs. If you want to read a book where nothing happens for most of the book, this is it. But if you've been around academics and scholars, it is a hilarious spoof on them. (imagine the perfidy of someone who claims to be Dr Dr when you know he's just Dr!)

Phyll

« Reply #1381 on: September 29, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »
Thanks, FlaJean.  Two of my favorite authors...Donna Leon and McCall Smith.  Isabel Dalhousie is my favorite of his series.  I like it even better than the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series.  I must check the library right away.
phyllis

roshanarose

« Reply #1382 on: September 29, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
JoanK :Rose pipes up "I once knew an absolute jerk who called himself Dr Dr".  He claimed to have two doctorates, and he certainly was perfidious.  I must read "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" it sounds like my style.  I bet they (the verbs) are not as tricky as Greek ones.  If you had two Masters Degrees, would you call yourself  "Master Master"?
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

mabel1015j

« Reply #1383 on: September 29, 2010, 08:49:05 PM »
We have a friend who we have labeled "DrDr."  She has an MD and a
Phd. But we gave her the nickname, she didn't choose it...

And Joan, one of the reasons I was not fond of socializing w/ some academicians (I was a prof, my husband a prof and a vp of a community college) is because of that stuffiness about who was an instructor, who was an associate, who was "Dr", etc. ........as tho u are your title and IT determines who you are?.......Jean

Steph

« Reply #1384 on: September 30, 2010, 06:27:32 AM »
Jean,, I loved it.. We have a friend who is a retired prof.. I know he never ever uses his Dr... and he is actually a Dr. Dr.  As he says life is too short for that nonsense. On with the fun.. He is the most curious person I have ever known. Interested in everything.

Babi

« Reply #1385 on: September 30, 2010, 08:34:31 AM »
 JEAN and STEPH's friend really ought to meet.   They obviously share a viewpoint on life and
would be great friends. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

nancymc

« Reply #1386 on: September 30, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »
I enjoy all of Alexander McCall Smith's Books I found 'Portuguese Irregular Verbs'  interesting but not a book to read at one sitting."21/2 Pillars of Wisdom is also about Dr. Moritz-Maria Von Igelfeld.  I usually like books that move at a fast pace but Dr. Moritz is very funny.

Phyll

« Reply #1387 on: September 30, 2010, 12:46:25 PM »
My next door neighbors both have doctorates and are in the Administration for the North Carolina State University.  He is a Vice-Chancellor.  I hadn't a clue until I saw it as an address on an envelope to them when we were picking up their mail while they were away for a few days.  They are the least self-important people I have ever known.
phyllis

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1388 on: October 01, 2010, 01:05:43 AM »
"He is the most curious person I have ever known. Interested in everything." Now THAT is my definition of a scholar.

Steph

« Reply #1389 on: October 01, 2010, 05:51:29 AM »
Yes, it is great fun being with them. We talk of everything under the sun. He and his wife are in Chicago just now babysitting some of their grandchildren..I got an email yesterday about one of the museums and what fun they were having visiting it and then getting some books about the current displays.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1390 on: October 01, 2010, 12:30:47 PM »
Stop You're Killing Me's latest newsletter lists several new-to-me Australian authors in their updates.  See: http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/
Jackie

Tomereader1

« Reply #1391 on: October 01, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »
Don't know how many of you here are hard-core, police procedural mystery readers, but...I picked up a book at the library - Ridley Pearson's "The Art of Deception".  It is not one of his newest, but somehow I missed it first time around.  I started reading last night at 10:15, at 2:45 I was still going.  It is a real, honest to goodness "page turner".  I can't wait to get back into it tonight.  It may be a bit strong for some.  It features the police detective Lou Boldt, along with John LeMoia and Daphne Matthews.  Takes place in Seattle.  Wow it is a good one!!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1392 on: October 01, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »
There are two older ones by this author at our library, Tomereader.  I've put the 1993 one on reserve.  And there are a number of his books available on Kindle - for various prices.  I'll wait until I read one before I buy one.  Thanks for the recommendation.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ursamajor

« Reply #1393 on: October 01, 2010, 02:45:40 PM »
I received this information in an email this morning, and I thought others might like to have it.

If you're a mystery, sci fi, or fantasy fan, these two databases are great resources for figuring out which book comes next in a series.  You can search by author, series title or, in at least one of them by main character.  For those of us who want to (have to!) read things in order, these sites are GREAT!!!! 

For mysteries:  Stop, You're Killing Me! at http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/

For sci fi/fantasy (and yes they put them both together):  SciFan at http://www.scifan.com/

I've got them both listed on a new blog called A Reader's Companion at http://myste-reads.blogspot.com/
[/color]

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1394 on: October 01, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »
URSA: thanks for the links. We have "Stop your killing me", but I'm not familiar with the others.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1395 on: October 01, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »
Ursa, I went to the myste-reads.blogspot.com but they just want you to sign up for your own blog.  I didn't see anything that said Readers Companion.  Can you tutor me for this?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #1396 on: October 02, 2010, 06:01:04 AM »
There are a number of mystery series that really really need to be read in order. I was just reading a Sharon McCrumb.. You need to have her history to know what is happening.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1397 on: October 02, 2010, 11:42:48 AM »
So true.  I just read several Wallender mysteries (the series start on Masterpiece Theater on PBS) out of order.  I read them in order of copyright date not realizing that they were translated from Swedish randomly.  After reading the first two, I suddenly realized that there was a list of the books in chronological order just after the first page in the book.  Stupid me!

ursamajor

« Reply #1398 on: October 02, 2010, 01:11:07 PM »
Sorry, Tomereader, your mind is as good as mine.  I just copied the message I posted from an email.

I agree that reading in order is important.  I was reading the newest Patricia Cornwell a while back and discovered that Scarpetta was married to her long-time lover who had in a previous book been murdered and Scarpetta had performed the autopsy!  In the crucial intervening book it was revealed that the death was a ploy to deceive the baddies and they hadn't let Scarpetta in on the deal!  This caused me some consternation.  ???

Steph

« Reply #1399 on: October 03, 2010, 05:52:41 AM »
 Ohmy yes,, Just think of Elizabeth George.. You simply must read in order or you miss so much. Elizabeth Peters.. how confusing that would be out of order.. You would forever try to figure out Ramses, etc. There are others.. Evanovich.. Stephanie Plum can be read as a stand alone with no great problems..In Science Fiction Anne Mc Caffrey could be read out of order.. Would be a little confusing on some, but still fascinating all by itself..
I am rereading the Bloodhound series.. Virginia Lanier was a talented writer who started writing way too late in life.. Still a good series..