Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897344 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1560 on: November 15, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK    

Joan, I'm sure you're right - it just sounds novel and pleasant to me because I seem to be forever in and out of Sainsbury's!  I have a rose-coloured view of myself, having made this on-off move to Edinburgh, popping to the local shops for artisan-made this and that (no doubt carrying my hand woven basket), when the reality is of course that even if I had the time, the prices would send me scurrying back to Lidl at high speed  :)

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1561 on: November 15, 2010, 05:19:55 PM »
I know. Don't food and food stores in books always sound wonderful. Especially in a foreign country. Of course, if we ate like that, we'd be broke and weigh 600 pounds. But reading about it is free and has no calories.

The US is poor in interesting food stores and restaurants (at least compared to those in books about other countries). They exist, but you really have to look for them in corners. The malls are full of supermarkets and chain restaurants.

Steph

« Reply #1562 on: November 16, 2010, 06:10:47 AM »
I used to have a neighbor who was married to a frenchman. His Mother would come each year for a month. She cooked all three meals every single day. She also shopped every single day. You could not convince her that the supermarket for the most part does not get new food each day.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1563 on: November 16, 2010, 06:22:27 AM »
When I was 14 I spent 3 weeks at the home of my French penfriend in Tours.  her mother shopped in the market every day and I went with her.  She also cooked every day twice a day - I had the time of my life, but managed to gain over a stone, so it's a good job I wasn't there any longer.  I still remember the market with great pleasure - the stalls of little goats cheeses and the amazing vegetables.  We also went out into the country to buy wine from a very small vineyard - this took some hours as it was customary then - and maybe still is in rural France - to sit down and have an aperitif with the owners before making your purchases.  This was a completely novel way of life to me, and I loved it, although I'm sure now I wouldn't have the patience.

That reminds me, has anyone else read the children's novel "Please Don't Go" by Peggy Woodford?  I read it first at about that time and as it is about a girl who goes to France and falls in love with a French boy, I was naturally smitten (sadly I only worshipped my penfriend's brother from afar).  A few weeks ago one of our branch libraries was closed down by the council and had a book sale - I knew that they had the only copy in our library service, so I dashed up there and bought it for 50p.  It's a little piece of my youth and I'm going to treasure it.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #1564 on: November 16, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »
An excellent idea, ROSEMARY. I believe my hospital still has my 'last instructions'
sort of thing, but it would be a good idea for my daughter to have a PoA. But which one.
Valerie lives with me and looks after me, but I don't know if I could ask her to make
the hard decisions..like turn off the machine. My son or older daughter might be better
able to handle that. Thanks for bringing up this subject, Rosemary. I need to talk with
her about this.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

roshanarose

« Reply #1565 on: November 16, 2010, 11:31:53 AM »
Rosemary - I suspect that the Italians are similar to the Greeks in that it is considered extremely uncouth to appear inebriated in public.  The Greeks have a method that they have used for centuries.  Every drink is served with a glass or carafe of water.  Even if you ask for a glass of water, you will get two.  I can still taste the anise in raki and visualise the clouded drop that results in mixing it with water.  During the time I spent in Greece, I never saw anyone drink raki straight.  btw raki is the rough version of ouzo.

I think on the question of wills many people seem blissfully ignorant of the fact that they may die suddenly, if at all. Or is it just fear of one's mortality and that the world would probably not continue to turn if one was to die?  I have had a will form sitting on my desk for three weeks now and I keep putting off completing it.  If you asked me why, I would not be able to answer you.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1566 on: November 16, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »
roshanarose - although making a will is certainly important, what I was talking about was a Power of Attorney, which enables your appointed person(s) to handle your finances and/or make decisions about your welfare should you become unable to do so.  A few years ago, if an elderly person could no longer deal with their bank, for example, the bank staff would just let their son or daughter get cash out for them and so on.  These days there are so many rules and regulations that the banks will hardly let us get our own money out, and they certainly can't let a relation or friend do it for us, no matter how well the bank staff know the family.  Whilst all these rules are meant to be there to protect the clients, some banks interpret them so literally that things become quite ridiculous.  I had more and more older people coming to me to do Powers of Attorney not because they didn't understand things, but because they just couldn't stand speaking to the banks on the phone any longer, with all the requirements for passwords, security codes, etc - they want their adult children to do it for them, and this is the only way they can get the banks to speak to those children.

I know that wills are a thing that many people worry about - it may help to know that all the firms I have worked for have safes full of wills that have been sitting there for donkey's years; in other words, making a will does not mean you are about to expire, and you are perfectly free to change your will as many times as you like.

Hope this helps, and if I can help you with any general queries, please feel free to email me.

Gumtree

« Reply #1567 on: November 16, 2010, 12:00:34 PM »
My husband and I (sounds like Queen Liz) organised new wills and powers of attorney about ten years ago. We haven't had to use them yet but it is a comfort to know they are in place should the need arise. We reviewed them a couple of years ago and found that we didn't need to change anything and our solicitor agreed. Big relief.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

roshanarose

« Reply #1568 on: November 16, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
Rosemary - Thanks so much for your good advice and kind offer.  I will talk to my son-in-law about Power of Attorney as he is a also a lawyer.  
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #1569 on: November 17, 2010, 06:07:48 AM »
I had all of these things in place, but when push came to shove in the hospital, they hospital made me and my sons sign a release for my husband saying that this was his wishes before they would disconnect the machines.. Very hard to do.. We thought the living will would take care of that, but it doesnt. At least in Florida.

Babi

« Reply #1570 on: November 17, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
 It was self-protection on the part of the hospital, STEPH.  Though a living will does express the
wishes of the person who made it,  when the time comes the family may not agree.  It it is done
without their consent, a law suit could be the result.
   I was right about assigning a medical power of attorney in my family.  My younger daughter,
who lives with me, was perfectly willing to assume responsibility for a financial PofA, but not for
a medical PofA.  She could not bear to make that kind of decision.  My older daughter was with
us last evening, and she agreed to take on that chore.  She is better able to take a calm view
of circumstances and my wishes.  Now,..to find the necessary forms.  To the library today; they
have books of legal forms that I can copy.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1571 on: November 17, 2010, 11:37:58 AM »
We have four daughters - the eldest has the medical power of attorney (after each other, of course) - she works in the medical world and is willing and able to do that.  The second eldest has the legal power of attorney - very practical and willing.  The two younger daughters are thrilled that their older sisters will perform those duties.  And, I know they will all work together, too.  Plus our attorney is a long-time family friend.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1572 on: November 17, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »
MaryZ - that is really good.  Most families do get on well enough to deal with this sort of thing, but I have had some people come in and say they have to, for example, appoint all four adult children as attorney (which can make things unnecessarily complicated) because otherwise the others will be offended, and I had one really nice lady in her 80s who felt she could not make a will because whatever she did her two daughters would resent it.  They came in with her (though I got them out of the room to talk to her) and I could see exactly what she meant - it was sad.

We have appointed each other, whom failing (as we say in our legalese) our son, who is the oldest child - but we haven't told any of the children, as he is only just 18 and the others younger.  We did not want to appoint my husband's siblings, who live a long way away and really have very little to do with our or our children's daily lives, and I am an only child.

I have looked into "living wills" for clients from time to time, but here in Scotland they have no legal standing, although i suppose they might be useful to give your doctors an indication of your wishes.

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1573 on: November 17, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »
Here in California, every time you are admitted to a hospital, they give you the forms and urge you to fill them out.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1574 on: November 17, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »
We are asked for copies of our living will any time we go to a hospital.  It's okay - I'm glad they do.  It's a good idea to have one on file with your family physician, too.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1575 on: November 17, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »
I guess I am in the minority here, but I like Brunetti's wife in Donna Leon's series.  She comes up with some very good sayings from time to time (thank you Ms. Leon).  I get the impression that the university classes don't demand a lot of her time during the days, but it is often mentioned that she is in her office looking at students' papers at night.  I get tired of some series but never Leon's.

CubFan

« Reply #1576 on: November 17, 2010, 05:23:09 PM »
Greetings,

When I gave both of my daughters medical power of attorney my lawyer said that they should have multiple copies made and for them to be sure to each keep a copy in the glove compartments of all their family cars because often times it is in an emergency situation that the "power" is needed and it does no good back home in a desk, safe, or in the other car.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1577 on: November 17, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »
I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but we carry copies of our documents with us whenever we travel - especially when we're out of the country. 

Steph

« Reply #1578 on: November 18, 2010, 06:12:16 AM »
Interesting.. I keep mine at home. But I think I will make a copy and take it with me when I travel.

jeriron

« Reply #1579 on: November 18, 2010, 08:19:41 AM »
FLAJEAN

I agree with you about Brunetti's wife. I like them all and really enjoy Leon's book. Her next one comes out in April.

In  some European countries they have long Lunch times. A few hours and that is their big meal of the day. They go back to work in the afternoon and work later then we do here in the states. Food is a big thing in her books. Notice their children are home from school at that time too.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1580 on: November 18, 2010, 05:00:40 PM »
I think that is, or was, the custom in many hot countries. It was so when we were in Israel in the sixties. They were just changing to "our" schedule in Tel Aviv, which was getting too big for people to go home at lunch. I don't know what they do know.

Well, I had some luck: picked up a book by an author I'd never heard of, because the title caught my eye ("Cruel Hearts and Gentle People" By John Riggs -- do you remember the old song?) I liked it a lot -- the detective is the newspaper editor in a small town in Wisconsin, and it has a real small town feel to it (or what I imagine is a small town feel -- I've never actually lived in a small town). And an interesting solution. I've ordered his first book from Amazon. (he's written 11, so this gives me a new series to work on).

Does anyone else know him?

Steph

« Reply #1581 on: November 19, 2010, 06:07:31 AM »
Riggs is not a name I know. I am reading "Hornswoggled" by Donis Casey.. I believe she was recommended by someone here. Old time.. gentle.... a maybe murder.... and the detective has 10 small children. A challence to be sure.

Babi

« Reply #1582 on: November 19, 2010, 08:54:32 AM »
 I am firmly persuaded that no one with "10 small children" has time to do anything else.  :o

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1583 on: November 19, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
You mentioned Casey before. I ordered "The old buzzard had it coming".

salan

« Reply #1584 on: November 19, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »
I just started The Bootlegger's Daughter.  It's my first Maron book (I think).  Several of you here mentioned her; so I decided to start with the first.  I'll let you know what I think when I finish.
Sally

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1585 on: November 19, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »
Got Cruel Hearts & Gentle People by John Riggs from the library this afternoon so will start it tonight.  He is a new author for me.  Also got several Victoria Thompson books Murder on Waverly Place and two others.  She is also a new author for me.  So I'll be busy reading this evening. :)

Steph

« Reply #1586 on: November 20, 2010, 05:59:13 AM »
 Ilove Victoria Thompson. Her books have such a nice flow.. The Casey book is her second. The first one was the one mentioned here by someone else.. Her housework alone makes me tired to read about it. But it is a fun sort of book. The mystery is secondary to the descriptions of pioneer life.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1587 on: November 20, 2010, 01:20:03 PM »
Joan, i think the name of the song is "Dear Hearts and Gentle People", but i did think of it also when you mentioned the book title.

I had started a Gerritsen book a month or so ago - w/ the Rizzoli detective character - but it was too gruesome fir me at the time. I picked up another one this week, but it is about a copy cat of the "surgeon" killer that had abducted and brutely attacked Rizzoli and she had arrested and jailed. I may have to give up on this series, altho i loved the tv show, but the books are too violent for me.........Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1588 on: November 20, 2010, 02:28:26 PM »
Here is Bing Crosby singing "Dear Hearts and Gentle People." Unfortunately, the mystery shows that life (and people) are not that simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t314wo05ElI

Flajean: some of Thompsons early books give the flavor of the time better than Waverly place. Here is the list

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/victoria-thompson/

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1589 on: November 20, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »
Thank you, JoanK.

Steph

« Reply #1590 on: November 21, 2010, 06:24:39 AM »
I am reading a Jonathon Kellerman now. This one is about a truly insance young male, who he once treated. I am suspicious about the mania. This is an older book of his, that somehow I missed. This is catch up month. Filling in series that I have read most of, but not all.

Babi

« Reply #1591 on: November 21, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »
 Thompson's 'Texas' novels look like the 'heaving bosom' style of romances, which I
really don't care for.  Notice how similar all the covers are? I might like the period piece, but consider Anne Perry the unchallenged champion of that genre.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1592 on: November 21, 2010, 02:34:56 PM »
JoanK, it's [b]Cold [/b] Hearts and Gentle People.  I've been searching upside down and backwards for it, especially on Amazon.  Having grown up in Wisconsin, I had to know more.  They sound good, but alas, not in my library.  Will have to try the second hand bookstore.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1593 on: November 21, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
OOOPS Sorry.

Steph

« Reply #1594 on: November 22, 2010, 06:12:17 AM »
Thompsons historical series is really good. I like it much better than Anne Perry. For one thing , it is NYC and not England.. Makes it feel more real to me. Plus the subtext is interesting. How her first husband died and why is a constant theme.

Babi

« Reply #1595 on: November 22, 2010, 08:39:07 AM »
  Ah, well, NYC is a different matter entirely.  A very different background, a much shorter history
than London.  I'll make a note and give Victoria Thompson and NYC a visit.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1596 on: November 22, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »
Reading my first of Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan series, Baltimore Blue. I like Tess. She's just as quirky, but not as funny as Stephanie Plum. Knowing a little geography of Bal'mor - as the natives call it, or somthing that sounds like that - makes it interesting for me also. I'll definitely get more of them.......Jean

jeriron

« Reply #1597 on: November 22, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »
Steph

I would like to start reading Thompsons Gaslight books. Do I absolutely have to start with the first one. I wanted to read "little Italy" first because of interest in the area.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1598 on: November 22, 2010, 03:25:44 PM »
No, you can read them out of order. There's a little "backstory" with the main character, but it's simple, and well explained.

JEAN: I like Tess and her Baltimore too.

Just like some people have "it", some quality that makes everyone they know interested in them, so some cities have "it". I don't know exactly what that quality is, but Baltimore definitely has it. Everyone I ever met who was ever from Baltimore, loves it, and can't stop talking about it. That quality doesn'y extend to outsiders -- living near there in the DC area, I've been there many times, and don't quite "get it".

jeriron

« Reply #1599 on: November 22, 2010, 03:32:05 PM »
Joan

Thanks..