Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897362 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1640 on: December 01, 2010, 06:32:43 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK    

I bought the least expensive IPAD, since I am retired and dont need a lot of the extras for business purposes.. I suppose you could write letters on it, but I use the big computer. I prefer the larger screen for everything when I am home. There is a brand new printer, that says it can be used by IPAD, but I did not investigate it. My computer whiz says that I can print on my upstairs printer from my regular pc, my laptop and the ipad.. Who knows. I generally just go it on my regular computer. But I do love my newspapers on the IPAD..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

jeriron

« Reply #1641 on: December 01, 2010, 09:24:32 AM »
Steph

Thanks for answering my questions. By the way I heard this morning that there is a new magazine coming out strickly for the IPAD.

Also here's another question.  Do you have to pay extra monthly like you do if you have a I PHONE.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #1642 on: December 01, 2010, 09:59:34 AM »
Jane, why would that be?  Do you have any idea?  The costs of distribution and inventory would certainly decrease, but would the publishers just past that on to the authors?  Interesting.

I don't know, Pedln. I was flabbergasted, and I can only say what the B&N guy said...but if you cut out all the printing costs---materials, labor, etc.  all the distribution,-- trucking, storage---returns/remainders, etc., I suppose you cut out a lot of the $$ that reduced the author's share.  It may also be an incentive for authors to agree to digital. I have no idea what the costs are there, but there are obviously savings over the print method...considering hardcover, then large print, then paperback, etc.

I found this that said Amazon was paying 70%...and yet I find publishers are paying 25%...still more than the print version. 

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/content-and-e-books/article/44626-agents-publishers-debate-digital-royalties-and-strategy-at-pw-panel.html

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2010/01/20/amazon-upping-its-ebook-royalties-to-authors-in-effort-to-fight-off-apple/

interesting, to be sure.

jane

mabel1015j

« Reply #1643 on: December 01, 2010, 06:01:28 PM »
No, there is no monthly fee for using the ipad, it feeds off of your present computer server w/ a wifi and safari software thst comes w/ the ipad.

I take notes for my history presentations on my ipad. The "notes" app looks like a legal pad and i've covered many, many pages w/ notes. I don't know what it's capacity is but i have't reached it after 10 different file subjects.

I wasn't interested in a "reader" i still like holding a book in bed at night, but the fact that i can use the ipad to read my mail, surf the net and talk to all of you as well as "read" if i wish, got me hooked. I love it! Best birthday present i ever got!.......jean

jeriron

« Reply #1644 on: December 01, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
Thanks for all the info.

Steph

« Reply #1645 on: December 02, 2010, 06:16:06 AM »
The joys of reading the New York Times and the Washington Post each day makes my heart sing.. They are free just now, but are both threatening to charge.. Ah well.

jeriron

« Reply #1646 on: December 02, 2010, 09:02:42 AM »
Steph

Are you still using your Kindle?

I read someplace that you have to pay for newspapers like you do on the Kindle. I wonder why being as they can be read on the computer free.

My real concern is using it. I don't know anyone that has one to be able to go to with questions and help.   :-\

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1647 on: December 02, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »
jeriron, I'll jump in - I don't think Steph has a Kindle.  I think she got an I-Pad???.  I do, and the lack of a paper-and-ink manual was one of the things I don't like about it.  It does have a lot of instruction, etc., in the "machine" itself.  I know that paper and magazine subscriptions are available on the Kindle, but I don't get any of those - just books.  And I've found it quite easy to use.  Mine is a Kindle2, and the later models and later e-readers in general have many more features than mine does.  So the technology there (like everywhere) moves very quickly. 

jane just got a Nook from B&N, and was very pleased with the fact that the store has classes where you can learn to use it, and people in the store so you can ask questions of a "real person" any time.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jeriron

« Reply #1648 on: December 02, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »
Mary

I have a Kindle 2 as well. Got it for Mothers day just before the price drop.
I only read books on it and like it alot. Kindle doesn't have much paper instructions either. But I did find help in the Amazon Community for kindle.

How did you find learning what to do on the IPAD. I've never had anything "Apple". If I had the IPhone I probably wouldn't be worried about it. I remember Steph mentioning that she was getting an IPad and she seems to have managed ok??

I know if I mention wanting to get one to my sons I will get the "what do you need that for"? They did the same thing with the Kindle but I proved them wrong because I haven't read a "paper" book since I got it.  :D

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1649 on: December 02, 2010, 10:34:52 AM »
jeriron, one of our daughters and I share a Kindle account.  If one of us orders a book, it shows up on her Kindle, and is charged to her account, but the other one can read it at any time.  I haven't "borrowed" a book from her yet, and I don't know if she has from me or not.  Both of us can read a book at the same time, and be in different places in the books - no problem.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #1650 on: December 02, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »
On the Nook, you can buy newspapers and magazines at a one issue price, or a monthly subscription price.  The USA Today, for example, is (75 cents an issue ($11.99 month); Newsweek (1.99 each; 2.99 monthly) Boston Globe ( .49 current issue; 14.99 monthly)  Washington Post  (75 cents; 11.99 monthly)

I know I could also read the Washington Post online with the Nook, but my husband prefers to do it on the bigger laptop when we're in Tx.

Steph

« Reply #1651 on: December 03, 2010, 06:17:01 AM »
Just now on the IPAD in the free apps section. you can order and read the Washington Post, The New York Times, Slate.. for sure for free. It wont last forever, but I am enjoying it. If you read them online, you must generally pay a subscription fee.
I printed out the manual for the IPAD. I am better at written instructions. That way I can thumb around for what I want. I downloaded the Nook to my IPAD, that is the way to get books.. But it is not as easy to get the books as they Kindle App.. The Kindle App is great. I also downloaded ebooks.. again easy to use.

jeriron

« Reply #1652 on: December 03, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »
Everyone keeps telling me how easy the IPad is to use but I'm still nervous about it.  :-\

mabel1015j

« Reply #1653 on: December 03, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
If you have an Apple store near you, go try out the ipad. They have them sitting out and you can play w/ it to your heart's desire, and they have lots of people to answer your questions....jean

jeriron

« Reply #1654 on: December 03, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I don't have an Apple store near me but we were in Best Buy and they have one out there was some one helping with questions. But of course there was people waiting.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1655 on: December 03, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
JoanK is computerless for a while.  Hers has died, and she won't have a temporary solution for at least a few days.

Steph

« Reply #1656 on: December 04, 2010, 06:13:06 AM »
Yes, Best Buy has IPADs out and try during the day when the kids are in school. Easier to find one to play with... but.. when the time comes to buy, try online.. cheaper as a general rule.

jeriron

« Reply #1657 on: December 04, 2010, 08:49:35 AM »
They told me in Best Buy that they will set it all up for you ready to take use when you take it out of the box. $29.

I noticed it is $528 on Amazon.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1658 on: December 04, 2010, 08:59:04 AM »
jeriron, I don't really know anything about it, but I'd guess that the $29 is for the set-up - after you buy the i-pad.

jeriron

« Reply #1659 on: December 04, 2010, 11:04:10 AM »
Mary
Oh yeah!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1660 on: December 04, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »
I love my iPad.  I have the Kindle app but haven't downloaded the other two mentioned.  I also enjoy the NY Times and Washington Post on the iPad.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1661 on: December 04, 2010, 08:44:29 PM »
I love my kindle..I really enjoy the Kindle for PC as I can read it From almost anywhere in my Kitchen...Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #1662 on: December 05, 2010, 06:17:47 AM »
Basically the ipad is set up when you buy it. You must download Itunes in order to get the apps. but that is not a problem. Just go on www.itunes.com   or apple..
The apps do the heavy lifting,, not you. Look for Amazon kindle, which is a free app and then you can download books. The ebook is either a free app or installed on the IPAD at the beginning. I forget. I printed out the entire 150some pages of the information, so that I can look up things, but that is just because I find it easier to have the page in front of me when I am doing stuff;.

Babi

« Reply #1663 on: December 05, 2010, 09:21:30 AM »
  I intended this post for Mystery Corner, but posted it in Fiction instead.  No matter; share the
wealth! 
  I'm reading my first Victoria Thompson book.  I am enjoying it, but there is no question it is
strongly reminiscent of the Perry books.  Except for being in New York instead of London, they
are almost identical.  Anne Perry's do, I think, have a deeper character development, but I don't
doubt Thompson's characters will develop also as the series continues.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1664 on: December 05, 2010, 09:27:53 AM »
I have the book app that came with the iPad but downloaded a free app called ebook reader and it downloaded about 10 or 12 free books to get me started with their ebooks.  I've been so busy over Thanksgiving my reading has suffered!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1665 on: December 05, 2010, 10:40:11 PM »
BABI: you're right. Thompson is not as deep as Perry -- she doesn't try to be.

I'm using my son's computer, so don't have my books here to remind me of the author's name. i'm loving "the Old Buzzard Had it Coming", especially for the descriptions of the housework. boy am I glad I'm living now.

Steph

« Reply #1666 on: December 06, 2010, 06:27:30 AM »
JoanK.. I am reading off and on the second book in that series.. All those children and still ready to keep track. The second one really was not actually a murder mystery as much as a who done what and how.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1667 on: December 06, 2010, 09:52:08 AM »
Thanks to the person who suggested Victoria Thompson.  I am in the middle of Murder in Little Italy and enjoying it.

jeriron

« Reply #1668 on: December 06, 2010, 10:21:45 AM »
I enjoyed it too. I think I'm going to start with the first one.

Steph

« Reply #1669 on: December 07, 2010, 06:19:03 AM »
Yes, starting with the first lets you see the softening and the developement of her relationships

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1670 on: December 09, 2010, 03:47:54 PM »
I've been reading an Australian author: Kerry Greenwood. I can't recommend her because of one VERY explicit sex scene, but if you can skip over that, she's fun. A 1920s rich woman, a parody of the suave male detective, (including in her sex life) with the latest car (an Austen-Healy), the latest weapon (a pearl-handled revolver) and a loyal servant (named Dot).

Went to the library, and picked up the third Donis Casey book (they didn't have the second) and a bunch of new authors. I'll tell you how I did.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1671 on: December 09, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »
I like that series.  Greenwood also has another series which I enjoy about a baker?  Having a senior moment. :)

nlhome

« Reply #1672 on: December 09, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »
I like Kerry Greenwood's books also. Fun.

Steph

« Reply #1673 on: December 10, 2010, 06:27:46 AM »
hmm. will look for her.

nancymc

« Reply #1674 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:31 AM »
I got my Victoria Thompson books delivered on Friday and am finding it hard to put down, it is very easy reading nothing too deep just right for bedtime.

Thank you to the person who recommended them.
Nancy

Frybabe

« Reply #1675 on: December 12, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
Last night I watched an interview of Lisa Scottoline on PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network). I don't think it is very recent, because I don't see it listed on her website. She apparently was here in Camp Hill. Her book, Think Twice, sounds interesting. Has anyone read it? Anyhow, Ms. Scottoline is a confirmed Pennsylvanian and lives in the Philly area. She has a ton of pets which are featured on her website. http://scottoline.com/Site/

Hardcover Mysteries, last week, featured Joseph Wambaugh. The show was a retelling of the rape and murder of two teen-aged girls in England. The book featured, The Blooding. is a non-fiction account of the murders and apprehension of the killer. This is the case that first used DNA to find and convict the killer.

Steph

« Reply #1676 on: December 13, 2010, 06:36:46 AM »
Lisa has at least one corgi and has written about him.. I have two corgi and love to read about her corgis adventures.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1677 on: December 13, 2010, 05:03:14 PM »
Tarquin Hall, who wrote "The Case of the Missing Servant", about a detective in India, has a second one out. "The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing". So far, it's not as funny as the first one, but is very interesting.

nancymc

« Reply #1678 on: December 14, 2010, 08:49:15 AM »
As I eagerly await my Kindle has anyone any suggestions re mystery books I could obtain for it.

Nancy

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1679 on: December 14, 2010, 12:37:04 PM »
Nancy, I have an iPad but use the Kindle App to buy books.  Someone on the forum suggested the following and I downloaded them.  Enjoyed them very much.  All three by Donna Ball.

Smoky Mountain (I believe this one was free)
Rapid Fire
Gun Shy

One of them was free and each of the others cost a couple of dollars.  They are about a young woman who owns a dog kennel and also tracks lost people in the Smoky mountains with her tracking dog.  I found them light and entertaining mysteries.