Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897390 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1680 on: December 14, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

I'll be sure and try Donna Ball when I get my kindle. Is it easy to browse on Kindle? I fooled with my daughters IPAD, and couldn't easily figure out how to browse.

I know that at least some of the Agatha Christies are free. I'll bet others of the older writers are too.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1681 on: December 14, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »
JoanK, I don't like to browse on the Kindle.  I browse on the Amazon web site, and order there for books to be delivered to the Kindle.  Just my personal preference.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1682 on: December 14, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »
I just finished Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron
by Stephanie Barron...I enjoyed it very much..There is a whole series of my treries with Jane Austen as the detective...These are available on Kindle....Joan Grimes..
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #1683 on: December 15, 2010, 06:33:08 AM »
I read the second and third Donna Ball. Will look to see in Kindle about the free one.
The IPAD has Kindle, ebooks, google, amazon..Nook.. They all seem to work with the IPAD.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

jeriron

« Reply #1684 on: December 15, 2010, 08:50:14 AM »
I order my books for Kindle on Amazon and they are sent to my Kindle. Actually that is about the only time I turn on the wireless for it to download.

jeriron

« Reply #1685 on: December 15, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »
I started Victoria Thompson's with the "Little Italy" one and enjoyed that one so I decided to start from the first one and am half way through it. I like this  alot because it tells Mrs. Brandts story so you get to know what she's about and why.

Babi

« Reply #1686 on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:49 AM »
 I'm heading to the library today to pick up the next Victoria Thompson,
and the first Louise Penny books.  And Fiona McIntosh (sci/fi) and "Little
Bee" (January discussion).  I am determined not to run out of reading
material over the holidays.  I seem to be one of the few readers here who
does not have stacks of unread books available.
  Well, I never did really get into those Henrik Ibsen plays on my bookshelf.  I suppose in a desperate pinch I could try reading those.  I have noticed that most Scandinavian writers seem to depess me.  All in my mind, I'm sure. :-\
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #1687 on: December 15, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »
Yes, browse on the Amazon website, it's easier than browsing on the Kindle directly. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1688 on: December 15, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »
I agree with jeriron, too, about not leaving the kindle hooked up to the wireless except when "picking up a book".  And I turn it off completely when I'm not reading it.  No point in running down the battery.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marjifay

« Reply #1689 on: December 15, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »
My best mystery reads of 2010:

HAG'S NOOK by John Dickson Carr
THE PRICE OF MURDER by John D. MacDonald
THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT by Robert Parker

Worst of 2010:
THE MAZE by Catherine Coulter
CAUGHT by Harlen Coben
DAUGHTER OF TIME by Josephine Tey

What were your favorites/worst?

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1690 on: December 15, 2010, 09:46:20 PM »
Nancy, I'm with MaryZ and jeriron, it's easier to browse at the Amazon web site.  I also like to go to the "Kindle Store" dept. and check out some of the discussions they have there.  And to see what they have that's free or very cheap -- have downloaded a few ninety-nine centers -- Fifth Avenue by Christopher Smith, Impeding justice by Mel Comley -- haven't read them yet.  Also found a freebie by J.A. Jance, don't remember the name.

I'm going to check out Donna Ball that's been mentioned above.  My f2f mystery group is reading If Books Can Kill by Kate Carlisle for January.  Thought I'd keep that one for my Seattle Christmas travels, airplane, etc.

I've been hearing a lot of talk about Louise Penny's Fatal Grace  --  the Canadian mysteries with Inspector Gemache, in Three Pines/ Twin Pines?  Apparently a Christmas mystery.  Not a freebie or a cheapie.  Will check out the used book store first.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1691 on: December 15, 2010, 09:52:07 PM »
Marjifay, I'm not familiar with any of the titles you mentioned, but my f2f group read Harlan Coben's Hold Tight this year and it was very-well received.  We liked it.  I haven't read any others by him, so don't know why  you have Caught on your "worst" list.

Popular as it is, I'd put Alan Bradley's Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie on my worst list.  Too much detail.  It's like someone said, "write about what you know" and he had to write about EVERYTHING he knew.

I don't know what I'd put on the best list -- probably Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  (And that's become really cheap for the Kindle.

It's a given.  As soon as I turn off my wireless, I find something I want to download.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1692 on: December 15, 2010, 11:16:58 PM »
BABI: " I seem to be one of the few readers here who
does not have stacks of unread books available."

I'm another. I read books as fast as I get them. If they hang around, it's probably one I think I "ought" to read, not one I want to.

MARG: interesting that you didn't like "Dauighter of Time" by Tey. I agree with you. The idea for the book is brilliant, but the analysis is just the kind of arguement I can't stand --- "my side is right, and anyone who disagrees with me is stupid".

Steph

« Reply #1693 on: December 16, 2010, 06:39:15 AM »
Funny. I have always loved Daughter of Time.. and any Harlan Coben.. Oh well, thats what sells books..

jeriron

« Reply #1694 on: December 16, 2010, 08:36:18 AM »
MaryZ

Kindle suggests you put your Kindle in sleep mode rather then shutting it down (unless you aren't going to read it for a day or more then shut it down).. It uses more battery from a shut down mode then sleep.
I put it to sleep because I will pick it up to read several times a day.

marjifay

« Reply #1695 on: December 16, 2010, 09:04:09 AM »
Pedln, I've read several of Harlan Coben's books and really liked them, including Hold Tight.  But his Caught was overly long with complicated yarns and sub-yarns.  And too much "computer speak" and "teen speak" as though Coben was trying to show you how cool and "with it" he is.   I didn't care for  the main character's high school teenage son whose mom admired him, but I thought was just a selfish, rude kid. Come to think of it, I didn't care for any of the characters.

I also liked Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but had read it prior to 2010.  I have his Girl Who Played with Fire waiting to be read.

I forgot to list one of my best crime/mystery reads this year -- KILLER by Dave Zeltserman. It's about a former hit man who has just been released from prison after 14 years.  He's now an old man, worn out, always looking over his shoulder, expecting to be wiped out by one of his enemies.  While you are repelled as he relates his former life, you are strangely moved by his present one.  And the ending is a "dilly"

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1696 on: December 16, 2010, 09:15:23 AM »
Thanks for that info, Jeri.  ::)

winsummm

« Reply #1697 on: December 17, 2010, 03:16:00 AM »
I have just finished four out of five books by John Luciew a newspsperman who is now wrting books about reporters some of them our age and very very well done. I recomend ZERO TOLERANCE in particular.  The ifth is non fiction and I haven't gotten ther yet. on the kindle these are very cheap which is how I found them. less than a dollar in some cases. . . self publishing???
I went to that catagory and took samples of all the cheap ones. I still have a few to sample. the last John Luciew was only three dollars though. The public hasn't discovered  him yet I guess.
Now to sample the other samples.
claire
thimk

Steph

« Reply #1698 on: December 17, 2010, 05:58:38 AM »
I am still on my Miles kick and that is technically science fiction, although there is a murder in this one..

joegreyfan

« Reply #1699 on: December 20, 2010, 07:40:19 PM »
A while back FlaJean mentioned a series by Kerry Greenwood about a baker. That's her Corinna Chapman series, which begins with Earthly Delights. I like it at least as much as the Phryne Fisher series. Guaranteed to stimulate your appetite too!

I've been absent for a while, distracted by Real Life events: first a flood in my apartment (due to a loose drainpipe on the roof) and recently by a move to another apartment (in the same building and much nicer than the old apartment) as an eventual result of the flood. Still getting things organized in my new place, which is much nicer than the old one. Getting my books in order is a real challenge, and I've only just begun! I weeded out a lot of my books before moving and donated them to our local South Pasadena Friends of the Library bookstore.

I have a Kindle and an iPad. Have been too distracted to learn much about the iPad yet, but I do have iBooks, Kindle and Nook apps loaded. Will look into the N.Y. Times and Washington Post apps while they're still free. We're having a series of huge rainstorms here, and I've made sure my iPad is fully charged so I can read on it if the power goes out.

joegreyfan

« Reply #1700 on: December 20, 2010, 07:57:01 PM »
I've been catching up on some of the older posts I missed. JoanK mentioned Parnell Hall's mysteries. If you want to see a really fun promotional video on YouTube, look up Parnell Hall's "King of Kindle." It's hilarious, and some other mystery writers show up on it too, e.g., Ridley Pearson (near the beginning) and Mary Higgins Clark (at the very end). Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-oGJvgHyKI

Frybabe

« Reply #1701 on: December 21, 2010, 12:45:33 AM »
 How about that! I actually finally caught an episode of Castle with James Patterson, Stephen Cannell, and Michael Connolly appearing. 

nancymc

« Reply #1702 on: December 21, 2010, 05:20:40 AM »
Joeygrey fan
I loved the video I never heard of Parnell Hall but if his books are as funy as the Video I am all for them.   Just got my kindle and downloaded my first book by Donna Ball have not had time to read it yet. 

Nancy

Steph

« Reply #1703 on: December 21, 2010, 06:17:57 AM »
Cranky as a bear and nothing suited, so went digging in my TBR box.. and wow.. A Donna Andrews I have not read. The one with Swans in the title.. What fun. She always makes me laugh.. A woman goony enough to make everything either black or white. Whew..

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1704 on: December 21, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »
Joegreyfan, that youtube by Parnell Hall was really cute.  I just picked up my reserved book Christmas Mourning by Margaret Maron and anxious to start reading.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1705 on: December 21, 2010, 04:39:35 PM »
Joegreyfan: that video was great!

And did you notice he also has one about how to write a mystery story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHvBd8G6Jb8&feature=related

joegreyfan

« Reply #1706 on: December 21, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »
Thanks, JoanK. I hadn't seen that one.

Here's a different version of "King of Kindle," made at this year's Bouchercon in San Francisco. Lots of authors in this one, including Lee Child, Val McDermid, Laurie King and Louise Penny.

http://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com/2010/10/king-of-kindle-bouchercon-edition.html

roshanarose

« Reply #1707 on: December 21, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »
joegreyfan - I note you mentioned Lee Child.  I have not read any of his books so decided to download "61 Hours"? into my ebook.  I downloaded it because it was cheap and had good reviews.  I have read a couple of McDermid's but find she is a bit slow for me.  Having said that the TV series "Wire in the Blood" is a favourite.  Love Dr Tony Hill , Robson Green is a dish.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #1708 on: December 22, 2010, 06:30:06 AM »
If you are on facebook.. friend Dana Stabenow.. She has the most wonderful posts on life, internet and Alaska in all of creation.. I was always a fan and now feel more like a fanatic..

Gumtree

« Reply #1709 on: December 22, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
Hey Steph - isn't 'fan' just the shortened version of 'fanatic' ?
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Tomereader1

« Reply #1710 on: December 22, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »
Hey, Steph, this is really creepy, I was just going to go to my Facebook and friend Dana Stabenow.  I have been a fan of hers for years, read all her books, and get her Roadhouse Report re: her publishing schedule.  Funny that your post comes up just as I got here to this screen name where my FB is!!! 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1711 on: December 22, 2010, 11:03:50 AM »
Our daughter just sent us a forward of Stabenow's newsletter, with an offer for a free Kindle edition of a Liam Campbell book.  If you don't find it, let me know, and I'll forward the e-mail to you - it's not just a link or I'd post it here.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1712 on: December 22, 2010, 01:16:06 PM »
Just read Mary and Carol Higgins Clark's The Christmas Tree, cute little Regan Reilly mystery about the Rockefeller Center tree. I had read it before, but knew it was fun and needed something like that. A good read.......jean

joegreyfan

« Reply #1713 on: December 22, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »
Recently Dana Stabenow sent out an email to people on her mailing list (which includes me) inviting us to "friend" her on Facebook, so I did. I get her Roadhouse Report too. I haven't caught up with her latest books yet, but the good thing about that is that I still have quite a number of them to look forward to! She is an entertaining storyteller, and I do enjoy the Alaskan setting.

Steph

« Reply #1714 on: December 23, 2010, 06:09:44 AM »
Yes, her free book is her first of Liam.. Not Kate.. I downloaded it yesterday. I get the Roadhouse and then the Facebook. Both are great. I also get Lauri Kings newsletter and
Facebook as  well as Janet Evanovich.. But Danas Facebook is outstanding..

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1715 on: December 23, 2010, 11:50:45 AM »
Oh, I am Happy - just crawled into library on way back from protracted and very tedious walk to supermarket, and found a Louise Penny ("Still Life") on their sale table for 50p and a Dana Stabenow ("The Singing of the Dead") on the normal shelves as well.  I haven't read any of their books before.  Wheelie bag, handbag, backpack, etc already full to bursting, but managed to force them in and drag everything back through the snow.  Almost made up for (i) three 10 year old oiks kicking brown slushy snow right at me deliberately because I did not move out of their way on a narrow bit of pavement and (ii) getting home and neither daughter even offering to make me a cup of tea - I had been out 5 hours, most of it doing grocery or present shopping, and they had been doing sweet f- a-; I know they probably just don't realise, but sometimes I think they should!

Rant over - and books have cheered me up (felt like crying in public when those boys soaked me in slush - I know I shouldn't take any notice, but just why do they behave like this?)

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1716 on: December 23, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »
Rosemary, sorry you've had such a yucky day.  Sounds like it's time to snuggle down (up?) and getting into the Stabenow book.  Hope you like her - we do.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1717 on: December 23, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »
Thanks MaryZ - I'm fine really, just wanted to let off steam, so thanks for listening!  Got to wrap presents now, but looking forward to the books later - where would we (or at least I) be without the library?

R

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1718 on: December 23, 2010, 03:04:21 PM »
This is always a good place to vent - and aren't we glad we have it.  ::)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1719 on: December 23, 2010, 03:29:05 PM »
"This is always a good place to vent - and aren't we glad we have it."

Oh yeah!

I love "The King of Kindle", but I'm frustrated at not knowing who most of the people are. I don't spend enough time looking at author pictures I guess.