Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897455 times)

Gumtree

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1840 on: February 01, 2011, 01:35:57 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

I read my way through Georgette Heyer long ago when I was just a green girl. Loved her Regency romances and the mysteries as well. Wonder how I would find her today...
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #1841 on: February 01, 2011, 06:45:37 AM »
Jean, I have read every single Maron. I too love her stories of real life in the mountains. AFter a while, you become very comfortable and fond of her many brothers and wives.. They all seem to have a story.
L isa Scottolini writes nicely about women lawyers, Philadelphia and is really accurate about the area. She also owns a corgi as I do ( actually I have two) and writes a column in Philadelphia and often mentions her dogs..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1842 on: February 01, 2011, 09:53:25 AM »
I believe Maron's books are mostly set in North Carolina's low country, near Raleigh.  I've enjoyed all of them.  I'm looking forward to the next one where I believe she will bring in the character from her first series.  I really enjoyed the first series even more than the Deborah Knott one.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1843 on: February 01, 2011, 11:08:40 AM »
What is the first series abt Jean?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1844 on: February 01, 2011, 05:13:17 PM »
Jean, Flajean, I've just finished Maron's Christmas Mourning, which I think is her latest.  And while Sigrid Harold (from the first series) is mentioned in this one, she does not appear. But you do learn about her family connections.

Jean, if  you have trouble with the brothers and wives, wait until you try to sort out the nieces and nephews.  Thank good ness they're all charted in the beginning of the book.  I sure kept flipping back to that page.

She is such an enjoyable read.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1845 on: February 01, 2011, 06:02:56 PM »
I don't know if I should mention this as a mystery or not. It is primarily Sci-Fi, dealing with time travel. But it has some spoofs on mystery writers (Christie, Sayers) "The butler always did it".

It's "To say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis. Hilarious!

Steph

« Reply #1846 on: February 02, 2011, 06:21:47 AM »
Maron is not quite low country, but west of Raleigh..  Another North Carolina author.. Sharon ( oh boy, senior moment)?? writes about the mountains in North Carolina. I read both of them.  Sharon writes and incorporates the old folk tales of the mountains into current days. Lovely reads.
I am read  U is for...It has been out for a while, just got around to it. I like it. She seems to have known the principal characters from high school and she is learning about her Grandmother this time..

Babi

« Reply #1847 on: February 02, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »
I think I will just skip the Mary Ann Clark book, ROSEMARY. I do
appreciate the critique. Good critiques have saved me so much time
and annoyance.
  Georgette Heyer is fun. The historical setting is very good, and
the heroines are spirited and entertaining. They are the only
'romance' novel series I've ever found at all interesting.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1848 on: February 02, 2011, 10:01:03 AM »
That area west of Raleigh, NC, is called the Piedmont.  And Steph, I guess you're thinking of Sharyn McCrumb - she does write wonderful tales set in the NC mountains.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1849 on: February 02, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »
Mable (Jean?), Maron's first series was about a New York City detective, Sigrid Harald.  She was a loner and the opposite of Deborah Knott.  Her first series is OP (out of print) but she says on her web site written Jan. 2011 that "Now, with the advent of Kindle, Nook, the iPad, etc., etc., these OP books can live again and I am absolutely delighted to announce that by the end of the year, I expect to have all of mine available."

Her web site is http://www.margaretmaron.com

mabel1015j

« Reply #1850 on: February 02, 2011, 02:01:35 PM »
Thanks FlaJean, from NJJean. :)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1851 on: February 02, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »
"That area west of Raleigh, NC, is called the Piedmont."

The Piedmont (named after a similar region in Italy) is actually the base of an old mountain chain, that runs in a line from South of new york city to Georgia. Something about the geology of the worn down mountain base gives it its characteristics, roling hills, red clay soil, and folage that is greener than anyplace else.

In my home town of Washington DC, the edge of the Piedmont runs right through the middle of town (roughly down Georgia Avenue). So half of the city is in the Piedmont and half at the edge of the Coastal plain. Going to work, I used to cross from the P to the C and you copuld really tell the difference. The land got flat, and the trees  lost that bright green color. Of course, all of the poshy neighborhoods had developed on the Piedmont side (the grass really IS greener there).

I know all this because Arthur Godfry's son (remember AG?) wrote a book called "The Piedmont". Probably out of print now.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1852 on: February 02, 2011, 06:14:17 PM »
Loved the AG program, not necessarily AG himself..... Interesting bit of info, thanks for sharing that Joan..... Jean

Steph

« Reply #1853 on: February 03, 2011, 06:07:55 AM »
 All these years and I truly thought the Piedmont was North Carolina and Virginia..Thanks for the information. Guess I did not know that AG had a son..Just a ukelele..
Yes, Sharon McCrumb and I do love her and she does not write fast enough..
I like the Sigrid Herald books.. Read all of them as far as I know.
Finished the Sue Grafton. I think I am now caught up on the alphabet.. This one was more background story for her than anything.

Babi

« Reply #1854 on: February 03, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »
Of course, all of the poshy neighborhoods had developed on the Piedmont side (the grass really IS greener there).
:D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #1855 on: February 04, 2011, 06:11:56 AM »
The Piedmont and the mountain area are so very beautiful in North Carolina and Virginia. It was always a favorite spot for us in the rv.. I love the early morning fogs.. the green green everything, the orchards.. tree farms... just all sorts and sizes of greens.. Then as you get into the mountains, you get the most incredible blues.. I have spent years taking pictures, but they never seem to show the most beautiful and subtle shades  in the blue ridge. I have however found an artist who is good at it.. Debbie Littledear brings my beloved mountains into full shades and hues.. I love her work.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1856 on: February 06, 2011, 06:35:45 PM »
I finished "the Bootleggers Daughter". What a surprise ending! But i liked it! Usually, the protagonist is snowy pure and won't accept any "tainted" help. I like, in general, the idea of her father being a bootlegger and the marijuana growing neighbors and the snutty dowager who can't abide her son being deviant. I'm deliberately being obtuse for those of you who may read the book in the future, but those of you eho have read it will understand what i'm talking about. The end was a nice surprise.....I think the beginning was a little slow, but i think MM got in her writing groove in the second- half, and got her handle on the story.......jean

roshanarose

« Reply #1857 on: February 06, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
Steph I did a search for Debbie Littledeer.  How enchanting.  I especially liked "Moonrise", "This Long Lovely Journey"and "My wish".  Thank you for the introduction.

www.debbielittledeer.com
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #1858 on: February 07, 2011, 06:12:11 AM »
 Ihave a numbered copy of the The Long Lovely Journey.. It is amazing. The Smokies do look just like that. I feel like I have been on the road many times.
Yes Maron pulls you into the whole family. She expands in each book and it is fun to figure out what is happening to all of the family.. Along with Judge Knott and her love life.

jeriron

« Reply #1859 on: February 07, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »
I started reading the Victoria Thompson books in the middle with Murder in Little Italy and then went back and started with the first one. I'm now on Murder in washington Square. I like them.

Although I'm reading most of the books on Kindle I really am enjoying my IPad. I'm finding all kinds of Apps that are free.

roshanarose

« Reply #1860 on: February 07, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
jeriron : Everyone in Australia wants an IPad.  Only trendy business people types seem to be able to afford them.  They start at $680.00 here.  :o  I have my Sony Touch 650, and I love it!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #1861 on: February 08, 2011, 06:08:49 AM »
I really like Victoria Thompson and have read all of them as far as I know.. She really makes you feel you are there in the tenements and chaos of NYC.. Good writer.

jeriron

« Reply #1862 on: February 08, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »
She has a new one coming out in June.

Steph

« Reply #1863 on: February 09, 2011, 06:12:33 AM »
Everyone can laugh.. In preparation for the Friday train trip.. 23 hours.. I am putting together.. the IPAD, a portable cd player and one paperback book..or maybe 2.. I am tryin to be prepared for anything.. I may have room for a few clothes, but who cares..  Oops, the temperature for a poor Floridian indicates another suitcase just for anything warm I own.

roshanarose

« Reply #1864 on: February 09, 2011, 08:51:18 AM »
Strange how clothes take on less importance as one grows older, or is it just me?

jeriron

« Reply #1865 on: February 09, 2011, 09:01:26 AM »
Stehp

Will the IPad work on the train?

Babi

« Reply #1866 on: February 09, 2011, 09:36:09 AM »
 One's priorities definitely change, ROSE.  :D

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1867 on: February 09, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
Rohanarose, I couldn't agree more.  Clothes, so far as I am concerned, are just things to keep you warm and stop your skin getting scratched when you're gardening.  My mother in law says she lost interest in clothes when she put on too much weight to be able to buy what she liked, but I am relatively small and still just cannot be bothered with thinking about them - too expensive, too uncomfortable, too impractical - that's fashion so far as I am concerned.  And if i see one more fashion "expert" telling us to top it all off with some "killer heels" ---- the only thing they kill is my feet.  I also feel that they are deliberately impractical to make sure that women are kept under control. 

Steph - have a great trip.  I always do the same, ie spend ages swithering about what books, etc I am going to take with me - the horror of running out of reading/writing matter is far greater than the thought of not having enough socks!

R

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1868 on: February 09, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »
rosemarykaye - that's the beauty of a Kindle (me), an I-phone (Steph), a Nook (jane), etc.  You NEVER have to worry about running out of books. ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1869 on: February 09, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »
 :) I agree with that all the way. As long as my clothes are comefortable and warm, who cares. But running out of books -- ugh!

I do have a horror when I'm traveling of getting my feet wet, and having to wear wet shoes all day. So I always pack more shoes than I need. Must have happened to me once, but I can't remember when.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1870 on: February 09, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »
Steph, considering you have an iPad that's loaded with books, TWO paperbacks seems a bit excessive.  I can understand one, in case you get in an electronic black hole, but that's probably not going to happen.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1871 on: February 09, 2011, 04:15:52 PM »
Once the books are downloaded into your e-reader, you don't have to have internet access to read them.   :)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1872 on: February 09, 2011, 05:41:25 PM »
Joan K - I once had to attend court in Edinburgh, which meant leaving Aberdeen on the 6am train.  I had to walk to the station in torrential rain and by the time I got onto the train my feet were soaked.  I took my shoes and tights off and put them on the train heater till we got there!  It really is horrible sitting in wet shoes, I agree.

R

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1873 on: February 09, 2011, 10:14:09 PM »
Just started The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny.   There were only three Louise Penny books on the shelf so have two more to read.

Steph

« Reply #1874 on: February 10, 2011, 06:13:11 AM »
My IPAD is loaded and I also am taking books on cds.. Reason being, that I am prone to car sickness and am not quite sure if the IPAD books will vibrate enough to bother me. If so I can listen to the other books. The regular paperback is for the odd moments at the show when I might want to sit and just rest for a bit.. I always have such a horror of running out of books.. I know I did in Egypt and believe me, except for the airport there were no english speaking books anywhere. Whew..
Today is the cut on the clothes. My bedroom is covered with all sorts of warm stuff. I am thinking in layers, so that will be the task later today.. I have a watch cap type that is white, so my head will be warm..The problem is that the Garden will be warm inside where they groom and bench the dogs,,but the main part will be much cooler where the show rings are..
I am really excited. This will be the first real trip on my own since his death. I went to an elderhostel but it was like half an hour from my sons. I stayed there, but was close and when I went to Nashville had my granddaughter and both dil
s with me ,, so this is my first on my own..

Babi

« Reply #1875 on: February 10, 2011, 08:50:47 AM »
 ROSEMARY, I'm not the only one who suspects some male fashion gurus secretly hate women. I have pretty much tended to take 'fashion' with a grain of salt, so to speak. I would adopt an idea that suited me, but for the most part I stuck with what I thought looked right on me and was comfortable. Who wants to spend a working day being jabbed here and there by one's own clothes?  Now there's a mystery!

Good thinking, STEPH. Layers is definitely the way to go.  A handy PB
is, of course, always a good idea, but hopefully you'll also find some
interesting people to talk to and make some new friends.

jeriron

« Reply #1876 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »
Steph

Good for you..

My husband passed away on Jan. 22 and I can't get myself to get in the car and go to Walmart a mile away. Every night I say to myself tomorrow and when tomorrow comes I change my mind.

Have a great time. I love the Westminister Show. I've been to dog shows but not the big one.

roshanarose

« Reply #1877 on: February 10, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »
jeriron - I hope what I have to say will not offend you.  I have been divorced three times, but have never "lost" a husband.  What you said about getting into the car to go to Walmart reminded me of some students I had from Bosnia.  The student I am referring to is called Nevenka.  She was such a good student that I suggested that she should attend class twice a week instead of just once.  Her daughter, Gordana, told me that her mother was afraid of buses because the street upon which buses had to travel in Bosnia was called "Snipers' Alley" .  In spite of this horrific memory, Nevenka felt so strongly about improving her English that she was determined to "ride the bus" to class.  I can still remember the first time she caught the bus on her own and arrived at class on time.  She was so proud and happy that she had overcome a terror that had haunted her since she left Bosnia.  I remember at the end of the class I called her aside and congratulated her and we cried together.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1878 on: February 10, 2011, 11:08:14 AM »
Jeriron, I didn't know of your loss.  I'm so sorry and send my deepest sympathy.

Steph, perhaps Jeriron will someday be where you have gotten.  You were smart to pick something so special for your first trip out.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1879 on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:01 AM »
Jeriron, My heartfelt sympathies and prayers.