Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897456 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1880 on: February 10, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »
Jeriron - sorry to hear about your loss. Be kind to yourself, take your time and small ateps, your confidence will come back......jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1881 on: February 10, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
jeriron, my deepest sympathies.  I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1882 on: February 10, 2011, 02:40:51 PM »
Jeriron - I too am so sorry to hear about your husband.  It is very early days yet - take your time, and as Jean said, be kind to yourself.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1883 on: February 10, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »
JERIRON: so sorry to hear about your husband. We at Seniorlearn are there for you. Your bravery will come back, day by day.

And STEPH, you are our heroine. We all admire your courage.

When my husband died suddenly and unexdpectedly five years ago, Seniornet was such a help. And my first trip was to a Seniornet reunion, some 9 months later. It really marked getting back to my life for me.

Frybabe

« Reply #1884 on: February 10, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »
Jeriron, my heartfelt sympathy goes out to you in your sorrow.

serenesheila

« Reply #1885 on: February 10, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »
JERIRON, thank you for letting us know of your husband's death.  I am deeply sorry for your loss.  I am a widow and I remember how fragile I felt after my husband's death.  Please be extra kind, gentle and patient with yourself.  You will know when you are ready to venture out into the world, again.  Right now you just need to take good care of you.  Here is a hug, if you would like it ((((((((((((((((((((((Jeriron)))))))))))))))))))))))

Sheila

Gumtree

« Reply #1886 on: February 10, 2011, 09:22:53 PM »
jeriron: Heartfelt sympathy to you in your bereavement. Take it easily and be kind to yourself.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

roshanarose

« Reply #1887 on: February 11, 2011, 12:49:38 AM »
Jeriron - Please accept my apologies for my post.  It was inappropriate.  I misread the date and didn't pay enough attention to what you had written.  Please take care. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #1888 on: February 11, 2011, 06:42:07 AM »
 Oh Jeriron, I have truly been where you are..My husband has ben dead 14 months and I miss him like it was yesterday.. But and this is a biggie. T he only way to live is to set your teeth, lift your head and move forward.. It is hard and painful. I cried some bitter tears over the way and manner of his death, but I also knew that he would not want me to retreat.. So I move forward and somedays, my ghost goes with me, but thats ok.. Pick a thing you really want and move forward to do it..
Trust me, it will help.
At the very beginning, I had a chinese fortune cookie and it said  " Begin the rest is easy" and I truly believe it.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

jeriron

« Reply #1889 on: February 11, 2011, 08:41:08 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I know I'm at a place where many of you have been. And each of you have moved foward and I will too, eventually. Every marriage is different, ours was one that everything we did we did together so going it alone will be the hardest for me. Our children are suffering as much as I am but at least they can go home to their wifes and husband and life can be almost the same for them there. For me it's different. But they say time heals all and it will get worse before it gets better and so on.. I'm sure it will..

My next door neighbor asked me to go to lunch will her and another neighbor today and I will go with them. It will help a little.

But thanks again for all your kind words.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #1890 on: February 11, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »
Jeriron yes, been there - not quite the same - death of my oldest child 3 Christmas' ago and earlier, by years a very painful divorce with circumstances that took years of therapy to put to rest along with the circumstances setting off an atom bomb in our family that took even more years to get beyond -

Your dinner with neighbors is so great - I had one friend that stood with me and if it wasn't for her I too would have sat in my dark house using anything in sight after the tissue box was empty to wipe my eyes -  I found putting music on all day everyday helped or I would listen to the refrigerator come on and go off.  And there is a delivery kitchen in town that only delivers their home-made food - so I ordered once a week - I also learned when I get up to open the back door and breath for a minute.

When my best friend lost her husband 2 years ago she called the florist and arranged to have fresh flowers delivered every week for 6 months and then she called me to come up once a week so she would have to cook dinner - she had a book on the table for us to read and this habit continues every Wednesday night - she cooks and after dinner I read with us both stopping to discuss, better understand and sometimes to disagree with the author. For months the discussion became memories of Bill and memories of her entire life with Bill including memories of her youth and when they first met - tears were at the edge but we were good friends and it was safe -

I hope you have a friend Jeriron - our kids as  you have said have their own grief and life to deal with - even a fairly new friend can make a difference and like Charlotte, she was the one to reach out... I am thinking of you fondly and a prayer is in the universe for you.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1891 on: February 11, 2011, 06:13:22 PM »
Jeriron  my thoughts and prayers are with you....Nothing I can say will help  but I have been through what you are going through.. my husband and did absolutely everything together...
Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

jeriron

« Reply #1892 on: February 11, 2011, 07:06:04 PM »
Thanks Barb and Joan for your thoughtfulness.

I enjoyed my lunch out with my neighbors. We went to a restaurant tea room that I have never been to. It was in a old plantation and was beautiful. I really enjoyed myself. But feeling a little guilty about that.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1893 on: February 11, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
I am so sorry, Jeriron, to hear of the death of your husband. My heartfelt sympathy in your great loss.

I am so glad you went and  enjoyed your  lunch with your neighbors. A lovely memory which I'm sure your husband would have  wanted for you.  

{{{Hugs!}}}}}

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1894 on: February 11, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »
Jeriron, I'm so sorry to learn about your husband's passing. My thoughts are with you.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1895 on: February 13, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »
"But feeling a little guilty about that." I remember that feeling. It's part of the whole process of returning to the world. Don't let it stop you.

jeriron

« Reply #1896 on: February 13, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
Thanks again everybody.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1897 on: February 14, 2011, 09:47:24 AM »
Am reading Laura Childs Fiber & Brimstone.  I like her tea shop series but this is the first scrapbooking mystery that I've read.  So far I like it.  I tried Louise Penny but didn't finish the first of three that I got from the library and took the other two back without reading them.  I usually like English mysteries.  Perhaps I'll try her again another time.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1898 on: February 14, 2011, 02:21:18 PM »
I just finished Lisa Scottoline's "Killer Smile" which is partially abt Italians' internment during WWII. Mary DiNunzio is the protagonist in this story. I think it may be my favorite LS so far, that i've read. The story was good, the humor witty, the two junior associates work behind the partners' back. I thoroughly enjoyed it..... Jean

jeriron

« Reply #1899 on: February 14, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
Mabel

I agree with you. I've read all her books and liked that one the best.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1900 on: February 14, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »
Is that the one where Mary and Judy dress up as prostitutes, but can't walk on the high heels?

mabel1015j

« Reply #1901 on: February 14, 2011, 06:26:51 PM »
No, but that sounds like a good one, i'll look for that.  ;) :)

Has anybody read any of Kathy Reichs mysteries? I just saw them on my library catalogue. Apparently the protagonist is a forensic anthropologist and they are set in N. Carolina,or at least the first description i saw, "Bare Bones" - what else? - had a NC setting, haven't investigated any others. ........ Jean

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1902 on: February 14, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
Yes, I read the first Reichs one (forgotten the title, was it Deja Dead?) but I couldn't get into it at all.  She is, however, very popular, so maybe it was just me; I couldn't identify with any of the characters.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1903 on: February 14, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »
The Kathy Reichs books are the ones that the TV series "Bones" is based on. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Tomereader1

« Reply #1904 on: February 15, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »
Yes, MaryZ, "Bones" on TV is "loosely" based on the Kathy Reichs books, which are much better in my opinion, although the French Canadian aspect of the books, mightn't play so well for a popular TV series.  I understand Ms. Reichs keeps her hand in this series, although to what degree, I'm not sure. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1905 on: February 15, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »
I admit I like the TV series "Bones" better than the Reichs books they're based on. The minor characters (none from the book) pull the series along. But I have to admit, I close my eyes at the obligatory gruesome pictures of bodies. Especially since many of the episodes come on near suppertime.

Some of the books take place in North Carolina, and some in Montreal, an interesting setting. The TV series takes place in Washington DC: it's interesting for me, a native Washingtonian, to see how they use (often mis-use) different local settings. I hope the books are more accurate.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1906 on: February 16, 2011, 09:54:51 AM »
I don't think "Bones" is as gory as the various CSI programs, but I prefer "The Mentalist" and "Castle" that are much less gory and have a little levity.  I do enjoy Kathy Reichs' books, but haven't read one in a while.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1907 on: February 17, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »

Oh my gosh, no wonder I never get anything done around here.  Trying to solve a puzzle and came upon this bibliography of mysteries all set in San Francisco.  What a treasure trove.  I found two that I used to love and haven’t read in years – Janet Dawson and Susan Dunlap.  But no wonder, Dawson hasn’t written any in 10 years, but now has a new one coming out.

Golden Gate Mysteries

Here’s the story of how this interactive listing came to be – a Berkeley U librarian’s labor of love.

Sleuthing Bay Area Mysteries

Now – off to do laundry and get some exercise -- maybe.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1908 on: February 17, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »
I'll look for those Pedln.

I had a treat yesterday. I had looked up "women detectives" in my library on-line catalogue and found a category abt women detectives in NJ. One book was titled Chanukah Guilt and i thot that sounded interesting. When i stsrted reading i discovered that the author was one of the first women rabbis in the country AND lives abt 6 miles from me and her story mentions a lot of familiar places. What fun! As i said i had just finished a Scottoline book set in Philadelphia which is familiar. The author's name is Ilene Schnieder, i hope she writes some more books, this one seems like it's going to be a good story...... Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1909 on: February 17, 2011, 07:19:03 PM »
Wow! The Golden gate list is incredible. Read the second link for the names of the oldest SF mysteries. The oldest one is Mysteries and Miseries of San Francisco, published in 1853.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1910 on: February 17, 2011, 07:21:42 PM »
I can get Chanukah Guilt on my kindle for $4.99. I'll download a sample now.

Steph

« Reply #1911 on: February 18, 2011, 09:11:31 AM »
 Ihave always loved regional mysteries. I read any number of them. There is an old series of San Francisco with a woman detective around the turn of the century. She came fromBoston and I did love it.. I think Dianne Day was the authors name.. Good small series.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1912 on: February 18, 2011, 06:20:58 PM »
I agree - I am far more interested in Ian Rankin's Rebus books because they are set in Edinburgh, and I think we mentioned Donna Leon before - all those wonderful Italian meals.

R

jeriron

« Reply #1913 on: February 19, 2011, 08:59:32 AM »
I love Donna Leon's books. It's so fasinating to read about how people live there. All the walking with no cars etc. We were only in Venice on a cruise once but it was a really so different then any other place.

By the way RosemaryKaye::: she has a new book coming out in April.

Steph

« Reply #1914 on: February 19, 2011, 09:39:27 AM »
I have no idea why, but cannot seem to get into Donna Leon.. Must try again soon, so many of you love her.
To continue another conversation, I do love trains,, all over the world.. I was just hearing about one in Australia that goes maybe halfway around the continent.. and there is an African one, that is a great adventure, but way too pricy for most humans.

Gumtree

« Reply #1915 on: February 19, 2011, 10:04:57 AM »
Steph: In Australia, The Indian Pacific train trip runs from Perth on the west coast to Sydney on the east - takes as few days - stops in Adelaide and Melbourne - or at least it used to do. Great trip in the old days - still has a good reputation.

The other great Aussie train trip is The Ghan - which runs straight through the red centre of the continent south to north - Adelaide to Darwin - in recent years the train has been refurbished and is now first rate - with prices to match. It's an unforgettable trip - even without delays caused by the rail being sometimes washed away by flash flooding on the route - which happens now and again.

There's another great route up through Queensland I think but Roshanarose may know more about that.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

roshanarose

« Reply #1916 on: February 19, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »
Gumtree - Thanks for giving me the opportunity to tell about that Queensland trip.  I have taken it, I went last May after I decided that because I had always wanted to visit Cairns, the Daintree etc. that I really had to visit before I died. 

The railway trip departs Roma Street Station in Brisbane quite early and ends up in Cairns at 4pm the next day.   The journey takes approximately one and a half days.  I had saved my pennies and bought a private first class ticket to ride.  The price included meals of the highest quality in a rather fancy buffet car.  I had my own steward and she plumped my pillows and left chocolates for the night I was in transit.  Also fluffy bathrobes and towels were provided for the passengers to keep. The drinks were good value and the latest magazines were on hand. Games, cards etc. were also available.  In addition, there was an extremely accomplished pianist availabe to play requests on a baby grand.  I was travelling alone, as is my preference, but for my first meal at lunch I was joined, after giving my permission, by a charming young man who I discovered was doing a review of the trip for Queensland Tourism.  I had the impression that the staff knew about why this young man was on board, and we were rewarded by many free bottles of champagne and the finest food for the remainder of the trip.  My bed was narrow, but comfortable.  I particularly enjoyed looking out the window in the early hours - something I never do at home.  The trip doesn't come cheap, but as a pensioner I got a reasonable discount.  If you visit Queensland, I can recommend the trip most highly.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1917 on: February 19, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »
Roshanarose, that trip sounds heavenly.  I haven't been on a train since I was 11 years old.  I went with my parents to New York City and we had what was then called a "stateroom" on a Pullman train.  I'm 75 now and I still cherish the memories of that train trip and the whole New York experience.  Coming from a small town it was so exciting.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1918 on: February 19, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »
There used to be a PBS series on great train journeys of the world, and they did an episode on the trip across Australia., which I remember seeing years ago. And on my kindle is a book by a man who was on the first freight train to cross Australia. I haven't read it yet.

roshanarose

« Reply #1919 on: February 19, 2011, 10:29:24 PM »
JoanK - If the trip was across Australia it would most likely be "The Ghan" so-called because of the many Afghans who were camelleers in that vicinity at one time.  The Ghan leaves from Adelaide, capital of South Australia, then to Alice Springs (Uluru is near there), then to the Top End (Katherine Gorge), then to Darwin.  Or you can go from Darwin to Adelaide.  Darwin would not be a good place to be just now or Alice Springs.  Your bits can burn. :o 8)

Way off topic - sorry.  The link for the train I took is www.railaustralia.com.au/sunlander.php.  I travelled Queensland class.

FlaJean - I was quite a bit older than 11 when I first saw NYC.  Like you, I will never forget it.  Loved that city!!  I also loved Boston/Cambridge.  Upon telling a New Yorker this, he almost had a heart attack, seriously.  He just couldn't believe that a tourist would compare any other city with New York.  The Bostonians, cool as always, remarked that both Boston and New York City were great cities.