Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897492 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1960 on: February 25, 2011, 07:40:54 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK    

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1961 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:17 PM »
TOME: you have to go into Preview to bold or underline. Above the text box, you'll see rows of symbols, including B for bold, and U for underline. If you've already typed the text, highlight it, then press the symbol you want. If you haven't typed it yet, put the curser where you want the text to appear, and press the symbol. The cursor will appear between to sets of parentases ()l(). Type the text there.

Good luck!

roshanarose

« Reply #1962 on: February 25, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
Tomereader:  Buy a Reese Peanut Butter Cup for me today so I can taste it vicariously.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Tomereader1

« Reply #1963 on: February 26, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
roshanarose, I bought two of the "theatre-sized" packs yesterday.   They have 4 of the large cups in.  One pack is for you.  Enjoy vicariously!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #1964 on: February 26, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »
and thank you JoanK, I got the "bold" on my numeral 4.  Hope I can remember how to do this, but just in case, I printed a copy of your instructions for future reference!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1965 on: February 26, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »
You're welcome. Hope they "emboldened you." :)

Steph

« Reply #1966 on: February 26, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
NO, The elizabeth George I am reading is the latest.. It just went from hard cover to paperback so I bought it new.. I wont spoil it, but I dont like one of the developements in there. There is a poisonous new female policewoman. Bah..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

roshanarose

« Reply #1967 on: February 27, 2011, 12:06:03 AM »
Thanks Tomereader - I think ???
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #1968 on: February 27, 2011, 06:17:59 AM »
The largest section of my book sale was mysteries, but oh me.. most of my favorites are not there. Way too many Stephen King.. John Grisham...and legal thrillers. Not nearly as many female authors.. Surprising when I think about it. No Louise Penny..Only Two Elizabeth George, No Minette Walters..I know when going through them, being surprised at the absence of so many authors that we discuss..The general public reads the same few authors. You dont want to know how many John Grishams we had and mostly still do.

Babi

« Reply #1969 on: February 27, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »
 STEPH, maybe the Penny, Walters and George owners hand on to
their books.  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1970 on: February 27, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »
BABI: I'll bet you're right.

Just finished one of the San Francisco mysteries "Maids of misfortune" by M. Louisa Locke. The protagonist is the owner of a boardinghouse in 19th century SF. She gives financial advice, under cover of being a "swami" and getting it from "the stars" because that is the only way she can get people to teke financial advice from a woman seriously. I enjoyed it, though the "detecting" was a little weak.

Steph

« Reply #1971 on: February 28, 2011, 06:01:01 AM »
I just got BookMarks and am reading it with pen in hand. Boy do I not need books, but I can never resist Bookmarks..
I just started another book in an english series.. I think the name of the department is Bureau of impossible crimes or some such. I love the characters. They solve crimes, but only the impossible type. Fun

Babi

« Reply #1972 on: February 28, 2011, 09:27:15 AM »
 I'm just starting one with an intriguing title, "The Second Sorrowful
Mystery".  Too soon to say whether I'll like it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #1973 on: February 28, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »
I'm finally reading Charlotte MacLeod's REST YOU MERRY which someone here recommended.  Very good.  I love her humor.  Next I want to read her WITHDRAWING ROOM.

Just finished Agatha Christie's DESTINATION UNKNOWN. The premise of the book sounded kind of hokey to me at first, but as I got into the story it became quite good.  A stand-alone, kind of unusual book for her, more of a thriller than her usual Poirot or Marple books, but nothing gory or gruesome.  A woman who is so upset by her husband leaving her and her daughter dying, is preparing to commit suicide when a crack detective, named Jessup, offers her a more interesting way of possibly dying -- by going undercover and posing as the wife of one of a group of scientists who have disappeared in order to find out what happened to him.  The suspense kept me turning pages.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #1974 on: February 28, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
I wonder what happened to Mrs. Sherlock --I think her name was Jackie.  I miss her postings.  Have gotten some good mystery recommendations from her.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1975 on: March 01, 2011, 01:08:17 AM »
STEPH: sounds familiar. Who's the author?

BABI: Is there a fiirst sorrowful mystery? Let us know how it is.

An Agatha Christie I haven't read !!!!! I'll look for it.

Jackie is around, but not posting as much as she used to. I miss her too.

Steph

« Reply #1976 on: March 01, 2011, 06:20:45 AM »
Asusual, the book is downstairs. It is the Peculiar Crime Unit out of London.. The author is Christopher something.
Yes, Jackie does not seem to post.. No idea why and she did read some interesting stuff.

Babi

« Reply #1977 on: March 01, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Apparently not, JOANK. The murder victim is a priest, and the
Second Sorrowful Mystery refers to the Catholic doctrine concerning
the beating of Christ before the crucifixion. I don't know yet what
the connection is to the murder of the priest.

I do hope Jackie is all right. We always seem to enjoy the same books.
I believe I had her e-mail address at one time, but I lost it when that
hacker swiped my address book and sent everybody the weird message. 

Frybabe

« Reply #1978 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:51 AM »
Last I post saw from Jackie, she was having balance problems, or what she called "disequilibrium". I hope she hasn't fallen and injured herself.

Frybabe

« Reply #1979 on: March 01, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »
Winsumm has not been posting frequently, either, since last fall.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1980 on: March 01, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »
Winsum is fine: I talked to her a couple of days ago. So is Jackie, but it's harder for her to post.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1981 on: March 01, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
I am reading a most delightful "historical thriller" which I have hardly been able to put down.  In it in the vein of "The Name of the Rose", but this one is set in 1583, Elizabeth I still on the throne.  Battles still rage re protestantism/catholicism.  A former monk visits Oxford to debate, and is thrust into a murder mystery.  The title is "Heresy" by S. J. Parris. 

André Maurois

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1982 on: March 01, 2011, 06:21:14 PM »
Sounds really good  Tomer...  I am going to look for it...JoanG
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

roshanarose

« Reply #1983 on: March 01, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »
Thanks for that title Tomereader.  Added to TBR.

Steph

« Reply #1984 on: March 02, 2011, 06:00:35 AM »
I like mysteries based on a long time ago, but prefer the Victorian era to most others. Something about it always interests me..

Babi

« Reply #1985 on: March 02, 2011, 08:56:34 AM »
Thanks for the reassurance about Jackie and Winsum, JOANK.
I hope Jackie's difficulty in posting has to do with time or
her computer, and not a physical problem.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1986 on: March 02, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »
Perhaps I'd best retract my "delightful historical thriller" comment.  It was a very good book, but for those of you having qualms about violence, there are portions where the horrors of the English inquisition (if you will) are trotted right out at you, i.e.
the punishments/tortures and final punishments for being a papist. (drawing and quartering are not fun things to read about).  Sorry if I jumped the gun, but I did so wish to pass this title on.  Perhaps I shall wait until I finish a book until I make statements I'll later be sorry for.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #1987 on: March 02, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »
Tome, I am going to have to add this to my TBR list. Sigh! The last person burned at the stake in England happened to be minister and an ancestor of mine. Wikipedia says he was a Baptist. I'll have to check my records. We had a lot of Unitarian ministers in our family's past. I must say, Wikipedia seems to know a lot about my ILL-ustrious ancestor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Wightman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1988 on: March 02, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
Unfortunately, you could have almost any religion and get burned at the stake in those days. Depended on which way the wind was blowing.

And a little later, you could come to America and be burned at the stake for being a witch.

I'm reading "Live free or Die: a Granite State Mystery", set in a small town in the granite state (of course, you all know which one that is!?!) So far, so good.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1989 on: March 02, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »
FRY: that story of your ancestor is really something. If he lived today, he would probably be left alone to stand on a streetcorner with a placard.

My "ILL-ustrious" ancestor is John Brown of anti-slavery fame. He was hanged for trying to capture the weapons at Harpers Ferry in order to arm escaped slaves. He became a "martyr" to the anti-slavery activists, who used to march to a song "John Brown's body".

Unfortunately, if you read his biography you see that, while his cause was just, he was mad as a hatter.

I'm his fourth cousen, four times removed.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1990 on: March 02, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
JoanK - Aberdeen is known as the Granite City - but I'm guessing that's not it?

Tomereader1

« Reply #1991 on: March 02, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »
New Hampshire!

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #1992 on: March 03, 2011, 06:07:06 AM »
I lived in New Hampshire for a few years, hated that motto on my license plate, but you dont get a choice.. Very odd state in many ways, but rigidly independent.. Will remember the title.
I am having fun with the Peculiar Criimes unit.. I remember that I have read others in this series..

Babi

« Reply #1993 on: March 03, 2011, 08:48:01 AM »
 JOAN, 'four times removed' seems a safe enough distance from
'mad as a hatter'.   ;D
 By the way, did you know that the origin of that term rose from the use of mercury in hat-making? It affected the nervous system, causing tremors, twitches, etc. that could make hatters appear quite mad.

ursamajor

« Reply #1994 on: March 03, 2011, 08:59:48 AM »
My ancestor was supposed to be Daniel Boone.  When I traced the genealogy it turned out to be another Boone family, also here since revolutionary times.  The issue was confused by the use of the given name Daniel in my ancestral family as well as his.

roshanarose

« Reply #1995 on: March 03, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »
Tomereader - I guess the mere title of the book you recommended, "Heresy" would be to those of us who appreciate novels of our not so distant past a flag to what might be expected in the novel.  As far as I am concerned it just makes it all the more fascinating.  The barbaric nature of "man" lies as close to the surface today as it did then.  Not a lot has changed.

As they say "If you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen".  Thanks for the recommendation.

jeriron

« Reply #1996 on: March 03, 2011, 11:27:06 AM »
Victoria Thompson:gaslight series.

Well I just finished reading "murder on Bank St." so I finally found out who killed Sarah's husband.  The next book got very poor reviews. (Waverly Place") So I plan on skiping over it. The newest one(LexingtonAve) is selling on Ebooks for $11.99. It's kind of expensive I think. So am not sure I will get it or not.

jeriron

« Reply #1997 on: March 03, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »
Well I gave in and downloaded the newest book from Amazon to my Kindle. What the heck! ;D

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1998 on: March 03, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
Indeed, Jeriron!  Enjoy   ;D

My friend books herself a cruise when she's fed up, so I think you're justified in downloading a book!

Rosemary

jeriron

« Reply #1999 on: March 03, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
I think with my husband gone I'm going to miss going on cruises the most. I'm not one to do things on my own. So books have been my biggest splurge.