Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897512 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #2040 on: March 13, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

ROSE, TOME: you're right. The answer from the crosses seems to be "yegg", which I gather is a general term for a burglar (?), not this particular burglar.

I liked "the Missing Servant", and there's a sequal out. Couldn't get into the bookman series, I don't know why.

Steph

« Reply #2041 on: March 14, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »
Dunning is a wonderful writer and also knows so much about books. I reread the books for all of the information of collectible books.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2042 on: March 14, 2011, 10:36:42 AM »
I've read his earlier Bookman books and also his Two O'Clock Eastern Wartime and have Sign of the Book sitting unread on my shelf.  Someday  ... .    .     .

Tomereader1

« Reply #2043 on: March 14, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
Have loved all the Janeway books.  In fact, my f2f Mystery Book Club will be reading "Booked to Die"  in April.  It was my turn to chose a book, and moderate, so I chose this one.  I don't think a lot of our group has read him, so it will be (I hope) fun for them.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #2044 on: March 14, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »
I tried to use the "modify" button to correct my spelling (choose - not chose in the first instance) but it wouldn't let me. 

Hmm, wonder why?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

nlhome

« Reply #2045 on: March 14, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »
I was trying to read The Railway Detective by E Marston this weekend, but I got so bored, not so much by the trains as by the plot/characters. Too typical. Maybe another in the series would be better, but I couldn't get past this one, read the last couple of pages and put it in the giveaway pile.

Now I'm reading one by Jacqueline Winspear, Among the Mad. I do like that series, with  depth to the characters and a good history lesson as well.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2046 on: March 14, 2011, 06:19:51 PM »
nlhome - I was interested to hear that you like the J Winspear series.  I quite enjoyed Among The Mad, but I have found some of the books really annoying.  I think it is because Maisie is just too perfect - all that "intuiting" and Being Good about everything.   I think Winspear has lightened up a bit on that in the more recent books.

Rosemary

nlhome

« Reply #2047 on: March 14, 2011, 07:15:23 PM »
Yes, I agree that she is an ideal, in some respects. But she is very focused, and I find very focused people in real life a little annoying at times, too.

I was intrigued by some of the plot devices in the books - the white feather organization, for example. I had to research that to realize it was real. And the hops harvest - because we are growing hops here and so the harvest information and the smell made things more interesting to me.

Whereas, the Railway Detective used, I thought, hackneyed character relationships, etc. The railroad history itself was ok - but I was bored so didn't research it to see what was fact and what was not.  Of course, I think it was the first of the series, so a lot was packed in that maybe should have been developed more slowly. However, at my time of life, I know there's something better out there, so I may not go back to that series. It's hard to find, so I had to buy the first one, and I certainly wouldn't spend money on any more.

roshanarose

« Reply #2048 on: March 14, 2011, 09:39:20 PM »
Thug - burglar.  I am thinking of Sluggo - remember him?
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2049 on: March 15, 2011, 02:33:47 AM »
nlhome - yes, the period details are good.  My mother's family used to go "hopping down in Kent" in the summers - whole families went, staying in little stone rooms (one per family I think), living mostly outdoors and earning some much needed money, whilst having more fresh air than they probably got for the rest of the year in London.

Would there have been a similar arrangement where you are?

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #2050 on: March 15, 2011, 06:27:38 AM »
The White Feather society was quite famous and had a lot of right and wrong attached to it. I had heard of Hopping, but I suspect it is quite English. If we grow hops in the US, I honestly dont know where.  Dont like Maisie. Too too perfect for me.
Picked an older book for my bed book.. It is a mystery written by Patty Hearst with another woman and is about SanSimeon. We went there once and loved the silliness of the place.

nlhome

« Reply #2051 on: March 15, 2011, 09:04:15 AM »
Hops are not a big crop here where I live, Rosemary. It's being grown in smaller lots for the speciality craft breweries. I had never seen them growing until my son planted some in our yard, and he harvested some to make a small amount of beer. They are actually a rather pretty vine, and the hops themselves are interesting. I later saw some grown as an ornamental in an expensively-landscaped yard. That made me rethink where ours are planted - I mean, if they are "trendy" maybe we shouldn't be hiding them behind the shed?

I don't know the history of hops in the country - another thing to research - but we have a long history of migrant workers here who harvested cucumbers, corn, peas, cherries, etc., during the growing seasons. Most of those workers came from Texas/Mexico, and they lived in housing on the farms also. Another topic.

Anyway, that's what I like about some of the books I read - they take me to places and times I don't know about.

Babi

« Reply #2052 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
 TOME, just go look up that answer, please.  We all want to know that four-letter detective.

I haven't read the books about the perfect Maisie, but do any of you remember Elsie Dinsmore?
I was young enough to think she was wonderful, but on more mature reflection she really was
the perfect little prig. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2053 on: March 15, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »
She and Pollyanna, Babi?     I can remember as an 8-year-old, sobbing and sobbing over poor Elsie.  My best friend had "inherited" her grandmother's complete set -- I think all the way to Elsie's Grandmotherhood.

Tomereader1

« Reply #2054 on: March 15, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
Well, I looked for a four letter burglar and didn't find a thing.  Someone wiser than I will have to tell us who.

André Maurois

ursamajor

« Reply #2055 on: March 15, 2011, 12:57:38 PM »
Yes, I remember Elsie, and perfect little prig is quite apt.  Does anybody else remember Judy and Chris from Those Plummer Children and Narcissus and de Children?  Quite politically incorrect nowadays, but so much fun.  It featured a pair of black twins named Sears and Roebuck, and the author said they really existed and she was afraid someone would put them in a book before she had a chance.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2056 on: March 15, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »
TOME, BABI: I'm sorry. I posted the answer we got for the four-letter burglar. from the words across it, it seems to be "yegg". I assume that is a British word for burglar (????), not a character.

What period are the mysteries about the hoppers set in?

Tomereader1

« Reply #2057 on: March 15, 2011, 03:34:56 PM »
Oops, I thought it was a "character's name" also.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #2058 on: March 15, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Go to the website: "Stop You're Killing Me" for all that is mystery related.   http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/

If I have said this before, mea culpa!  It just let's you search under all sorts of categories.

André Maurois

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2059 on: March 15, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
Joan K - they are set in post-World War One London and Kent, but only one of them features the hoppers.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #2060 on: March 16, 2011, 06:28:06 AM »
Inspector Gamache and I are closing in on  our villain in Three Pines, Quebec.. I know from the murder that the most odious character was murdered and I fear that her murderer will be one of the nice characters.. He is such a nice mix of french and english.. Some of his detectives are one and some the other. I do like him. Louise Penny is such fun.

Babi

« Reply #2061 on: March 16, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »
 I didn't know there was a whole set of Elsie Dinsmore books, PEDLN. Perhaps just as well.
I might have tried to read them all, and my Mother definitely didn't care for Elsie.
 Never ran across the Plummer Children, URSA. I probably would have greatly enjoyed reading
about Sears and Roebuck.

I run into that problem with crosswords frequently. I get one interpretation of the clue
in mind and nothing works. But if I put the puzzle aside and go back to it later, I seem
to take a fresh approach and things become much clearer. And yes, yegg is Brit. for
burglar.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #2062 on: March 17, 2011, 06:08:26 AM »
After some digging, I found the Anne McCaffrey Cat--- story. I have only read the first few pages, but I do wonder if it is written for teens. The story is a bit soppy at this point.

Babi

« Reply #2063 on: March 17, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »
 Apparently they have written others about the Barque cats.  It is a bit silly; not what I have come to expect from McCaffrey.  But then, in collaborations like this, the more famous author
may contribute little more than his/her name.  For people like me, the name McCaffrey is  a
sure winner; I'm going to read it!

Steph

« Reply #2064 on: March 18, 2011, 06:37:14 AM »
There are two books so far. I have read about 50 pages and put it down. Maybe I will come back to it.. It is much much more a Scarborough than a McCaffrey.

ursamajor

« Reply #2065 on: March 19, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »
Seph, I have just finished the same Three Pines mystery you are reading.  I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending, but just reading the books is a real pleasure.

Steph

« Reply #2066 on: March 20, 2011, 09:49:32 AM »
I know.. I like Louise Penny so much, but found some of this one confusing.. People are plotting against him??
My bed book is one cowritten by Patty Hearst and is about San Simeon.. Actually it is fun at this point.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #2067 on: March 21, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »
Am reading a very good mystery by P.L. Gaus, "Blood of the Prodigal", An Amish Country Mystery.  This is a new author for me but the book is well written and seems very authentic regarding the Amish and the geographic area.  It caught my interest right away.

Steph

« Reply #2068 on: March 22, 2011, 06:26:36 AM »
I read one of the Gaus mysteries, but I come from Delaware, growing up my closest neighbors were Amish and his Amish were so very different from the ones I knew that the book turned me off.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #2069 on: March 22, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »
Gaus does explain in the story the differences in the various Amish groups which I hadn't realized, never having been around the Amish.

Steph

« Reply #2070 on: March 23, 2011, 06:05:48 AM »
 Yes, the communities are quite different, depending on which leader they follow. In Delaware there are two distinct communities.. One are called Buggy Amish( since they only use buggies ) and the other are Ford Amish. They use cars that are stripped and very basic.. We lived by a large buggy amish community.They meet in each others homes for church.. go to the 8th grade and now have a special school for their children. However the community picks out various brighter children. They are sent up to Pennsylvania to become nurse practioners and various holistic type doctors and teachers.. They are concerned about inbreeding and encourage their teens to be exchanged to several other communities each summer. Ohio and two in Canada as I recall.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2071 on: March 23, 2011, 06:17:29 AM »
Steph,  I only discovered recently that there is apparently a whole sub-genre of "Amish fiction".  I came across a blog written by an English Lit student at St Andrew's University here in Scotland, and she is very keen on this (amongst lots of other things). 

It's an interesting blog is anyone wants to have a look at it:

http://the-compulsive-reader.blogspot.com/p/about-me.html

The only thing most of us here know about the Amish is what we learned from the film "Witness".  Last week there was a programme on TV about two families who had decided to break away from their Amish communities.  It was interesting, although one got the impression that one of the two families had really swapped one extreme community for another.  The women seemed to have a very hard life, although of course TV can distort things.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #2072 on: March 24, 2011, 06:12:37 AM »
RoseMary,, yes life can be very restrictive for both male and female, but from my childhood experiences, also rewarding. One of my childhood amish friends was one of those sent off to be a nurse practioner. Katie never married, lives in a small apartment attached to the clinic , she runs and is one of the most contented women I know. But her life is quite different from her Mothers and sisters. There are so many variety of Amish.. All feeling that theier way is the only way.. Interesting way to live.. I bookmarked the blog to look at later today.

marjifay

« Reply #2073 on: March 25, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »
i just fnished a great new thriller by Robert Crais--THE SENTRY.  This one stars Joe Pike.  I really like this character, and the pages just raced by.  Crais is a great writer.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #2074 on: March 26, 2011, 06:15:43 AM »
I love Crais,, Joe Pike and Elvis of course.. An excellent writer.. I just finished The First Rule and am looking forward to The Sentry

serenesheila

« Reply #2075 on: March 26, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »
This week's People magazine, features the latest book by Kate Atkinson.  It sounded interesting, so I went shopping in the Kindlestore.  She has written several prior mysteries.  Have any of you read any of her books?  What do you think of her writting?  I ordered several, free samples, but haven't read them yet.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #2076 on: March 27, 2011, 06:15:13 AM »
I vaguely think I tried Kate
Atkinson and did not like her, but dont remember why..Hows that for absent minded..

Babi

« Reply #2077 on: March 27, 2011, 09:15:05 AM »
 Par for the course, STEPH.  I do it all the time.  Reminds me of an old joke about a guy who
drove a party of friends 40 miles out into the country to have dinner at a restaurant that stuck
in his memory.  It wasn't until he got there that he recalled why it stuck in his memory.  The
food was terrible!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2078 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:18 AM »
I think she wrote "Behind The Scenes At The Museum", which was very popular - but I started it and gave up, it was not my kind of thing (though Like Steph I can't now remember why  ???)

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #2079 on: March 27, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
I read Kate Atkinson's Case Histories several years ago.  Gave it a 3/5 rating.  It was okay but did not make me that interested in reading any more by her.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman