Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897533 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #2120 on: April 04, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My library had the latest Donna Andrews "Stork Raving Mad". Listed by fantastic Fiction as coming out in june, but it's out already. The detective, Meg, is now 8 1/2 months pregnant with twins and can barely walk, but still gets her man!

They also had a new Margeret Coel Wind River Mystery "The Spider Web". It's listed as not being out til September. I like her, with the background of the Indian reservation. but for some reason, I haven't read her for a long time, and see that I've missed a bunch of books.

Babi

« Reply #2121 on: April 05, 2011, 08:36:18 AM »
I don't think I've even heard of Rubicon, TOMEREADER.  It sounds like something I would
have liked.

Always happy to hear of a new Donna Andrews. I'll have to see if my library has it yet.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #2122 on: April 05, 2011, 11:11:03 AM »
Rubicon (TV Series 2010– )
Crime | Drama | Mystery
Will Travers is an analyst at a New York City-based federal intelligence agency who is thrown into a story where nothing is as it appears to be.

Creator: Jason Horwitch
Stars:James Badge Dale, Jessica Collins and Lauren Hodges
I copied this off IMDb should you want to see the entire cast.
Miranda Richardson guest starred for a few episodes, but then got killed off.  (She shouldn't have been, I thought she was pivotal to the story). 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #2123 on: April 06, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
I do like Donna Andrews. She makes me laugh.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #2124 on: April 07, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »
Just finished Donna Leon's latest (20th) Commissario Guido Brunetti Mystery Drawing Conclusions.  It is one of her best IMO.  It had a very satisfying ending, I thought.

jeriron

« Reply #2125 on: April 07, 2011, 11:44:19 AM »
I just started to read it. I've read all of her books.

Tomereader1

« Reply #2126 on: April 07, 2011, 12:12:52 PM »
I'm going to do something I rarely do here, make recommendations for a site.  All of us devout Mystery readers really like to know what's available, and what's upcoming in the mystery genre.  So...if you haven't found it as yet (now, I'm not commercializing anything here) go to OmnimysteryNews.com   sign up for their newsletter, and you will be rewarded with titles of dozens, if not hundreds, of new mysteries, some maybe older, and lists of what is upcoming in print. I spend entirely too much time on this site, but it is "super". 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2127 on: April 07, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »
Gonna have to check that out.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #2128 on: April 07, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
Me too!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2129 on: April 09, 2011, 12:31:36 AM »
Tomereader, I loved Rubicon. I can't believe they cancelled it. There are so many programs on TV that I don't think are worth watching. That series was all you said it was. Fascinating, with excellent acting.

Babi

« Reply #2130 on: April 09, 2011, 08:59:33 AM »
 I've been having fun with some different 'mysteries' this past week.  National Geographic's
"Expedition Week"  had a number of exploratory documentaries that found some answers to
one mystery or another.  A cemetery for gladiators in York, England; a Dutch 'ghost ship', intact,
at the bottom of the Baltic; Ben Franklin's pirate fleet (???),  and a totally lost and previously unknown city in Syria.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #2131 on: April 09, 2011, 10:38:03 AM »
Must look up that site..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2132 on: April 09, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
BABI: that sounds great! Is that the NatGeo TV station? I don't get it on my "cheap" cable package. (The price keeps going up and the stations I get keep going down).

What is Ben Franklin's "pirate fleet"?

Steph

« Reply #2133 on: April 10, 2011, 06:10:03 AM »
Aha, the new Elderhostel catalogue arrived yesterday, so that was my reading for the day. Lots and lots of fascinating things to do and places to go..

jeriron

« Reply #2134 on: April 10, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »
Stephanie do you go by yourself or with a friend?

Babi

« Reply #2135 on: April 10, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »
 JOAN, it seems that when Ben Franklin was ambassador to France, he tried to deal with the
problem of so many American prisoners in British prisons.  America had very few prisoners to
exchange.  After all, England had a very large fleet at a time when our fleet was counted in
single digits. 
  Franklin decided to make a trail of commissioning privateers to prey on the British mercantile
fleet, with the idea of taking prisoners for the purpose of exchange.  Some of those privateers turned out to be ex-pirates, with entirely different goals in mind.  And really, those small ships
did not have room or provisions for a lot of prisoners. They wound up turning the prisoners loose, but keeping their valuables.
   Believe it or not, some of them tried to use 'certificates',  signed by the prisoners before release acknowledging that they had been caught.  Franklin tried using those to effect a gentlemanly swap for some of our prisoners, but the British govt. didn't go for it.  All in all,
the project was a failure.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2136 on: April 10, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »
Steph, weren't you just at an elderhostel? How was it? .....

Someone put up a link a couple weeks ago of mystery books and you could go to theme list including states where the book is set. I wrote down all the ones in NJ and Philadelphia. Since there are so many mystery books, i've decided that i'm going to concentrate on those two lists for awhile 'til i've read most of them. I figure that's as good a criteria as any  8) .......

Babi, that's an interesting story abt Ben F. I hadn't heard abt it before, but it sure sounds like Ben........... Jean

Steph

« Reply #2137 on: April 11, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »
Jeriron,, at this point, I have gone to two Elderhostels rooming by myself. YOu do meet people there and there are always a lot of women. I would love to find a compatible friend who likes to learn as much as I do.
The New Catalogue ( the big one) comes out several times a year and it is a joy to look at all of the places in the US that you can go to. They also have an International one as well.. I love to dream with it of places to go and explore.. They have a really fun Lewis and Clark one later this year.
I always read Lisa Scottoline detective stories, but just now I am reading " My Third Husband will be a dog". She writes a column in Philadelphia and this is basically a collection of them. She is quite funny in them.. She also has at least 4 dogs and one daughter and she writes about them as well. I am enjoying the short columns just now since life has been a bit hectic . and I am in two book discussions this month.

jeriron

« Reply #2138 on: April 11, 2011, 08:15:54 AM »
Steph

I am trying to pick up some sort of life since my husband passed away. But I've never been one to do anything on my own. We always did everything together. I'm also very nervous driving because there again he did it all and would even drop me off to shop or have my hair done and then do his own errands and then pick me up.  So I think it's going to be a long haul for me but I do have my 2 sons that live near. I didn't realize there would be so much paper work to do and names to change etc. Thank heaven my son has been doing most of it for me.

Babi

« Reply #2139 on: April 11, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »
JERIRON, that has always been a major problem for widows who were accustomed to their
husbands taking care of everything.  In the long run, I think it is really better for a wife to
learn to be more independent, even if she is content to let the husband do it.

ursamajor

« Reply #2140 on: April 11, 2011, 08:59:47 AM »
Jeriron, you have my sympathy and best wishes.  I have not experienced what you are going through, but my husband and I are so close, especially in the thirty years since the last child left, that just the thought gives me chills.  Only one of my five kids is anywhere close, and she has a job that consumes about 50 hours per week and an elderly husband.

The best elderhostel we ever went to was in Farmington, NM.  We studied the Navaho culture and the works of Tony Hillerman (that's for us mystery fans).  The motel was comfortable, the food, served in the college cafeteria, was surprisingly good, and we learned a lot about the history and culture of the Navahos.  This would be a good one for a single woman.

We have almost given up Elderhostels since flying has become so unpleasant.  After the last one we attended I was pulled out of line at the Charlotte airport and all but strip searched, TWICE!  I didn't fly again for years.  Now we both require assistance in airports and it is just too hard.

jeriron

« Reply #2141 on: April 11, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »

URSA
The things my husband and I enjoyed the most was cruising. The last one we took was  Feb. 2010. We were undecided whether we could do it or not but we did and everything went well. So I'll always have that to remember .

We would have enjoyed that Elderhostel in NM that you went on. I was always interested in the Plains Indians. We really liked NM when we went out there.

Babi

You're right. I've read that women like me take the longest to pick up the pieces.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2142 on: April 11, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »
jeriron: we all understand what you are going through. It is always hard to pick up the pieces. Thank goodness for our wonderful children who help us. I considered myself reasonably independent, but still would not have gotten through it without family and friends.

Luckily, with Seniornet, even at home we don't have to be lonely. But if you can find a way to be mobil (taxi's, busses, special senior services, friends, even hiring someone to take you places, short drives) and start getting out-of-the-house activities, it might help.

I'm freminded of a joke a senior friend used to tell me. Widow Jones had a new boyfriend, and her friends were asking about him. "Is he handsome? - no
rich -no
funny?, interesting?, tender? sympathetic? -- not really.

Well, what's te attraction?

He drives at night.

marjifay

« Reply #2143 on: April 11, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »
Good one, Joan.

In case anyone is looking for a good mystery to read, I just read the best one I've read in a long, long time.  THE FRANCHISE AFFAIR by Josephine Tey.  Marvelous writer and I like her sense of humor as well.  Their is no murder in this one.  Two women are accused of kidnapping and beating a young 15-year-old girl whom they claim to have never heard of or seen before until she appeared at their home with a Scotland Yard detective to accuse them.  The women recruit (or beg, rather) the senior partner in a small law firm in their little English town to help them prove their innocence.   This was so good, I'm going to have to read more of Tey's work.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

jeriron

« Reply #2144 on: April 11, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »
Joan

Funny joke but actually true.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2145 on: April 11, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
Joan - that is too true - I hate driving at night.

Marjifay - I also very much like The Franchise Affair, which I read after I heard it serialised on Woman's Hour.

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2146 on: April 12, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »
I thought I'd read all the Tey's, but I don't remember that one. Have you read the one about Richard III?

I watch all the shows on Discovery that follow fishermen (and one  women). Now I've discovereed that the one woman, one of the swordfish boat Captains, Linda Greenlaw, has written mystery stories. I read one last night "Slipknot". Needless to say, part of it takes place on a fishing boat (cod, not swords). I'd give it a medium; if you're not into those fishing shows, I don't know if you'd enjoy it, but I'll certainly read more. Looking forward to reading some of her non-fiction about her experiences.

marjifay

« Reply #2147 on: April 12, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
JoanK said, <I thought I'd read all the Tey's, but I don't remember that one. Have you read the one about Richard III?"

I tried to read the one about Richard III (The Daughter of Time), but did not finish it.  Readers at Amazon say that book is cited as one of the best mysteries of all time.  So, because I loved Tey's Franchise Affair so much, I'm going back and finish Daughter of Time.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

MaryPage

« Reply #2148 on: April 12, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »
I absolutely adored every word Josephine Tey ever wrote.  My, she has been gone a long time now.  Shows how good she was that her works are still read.

A Daughter of Time is on the list of my all-time favorite books.  It is taught and discussed in university history courses world wide.

Steph

« Reply #2149 on: April 12, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
Josephine Tey.., Oh me, I read every single one of her. Such a good writer with interesting ways of looking at the world.
Jeriron.. My husband did all of the driving..We wer always together for the past 20 years, so I had to really force myself out of the house. I just sort of gritted my teeth and considered. I could stay home and rot.. or I could get up and join all sorts of things and force myself back into life.Since my sons live 2 and 3 hours away and have full time jobs, I also did all of the name changings, etc. Then because the remaining car was my husbands and I realized I was uncomfortable with it. I went out and looked at cars.. found what I wanted and bought it..The feelings of freedome were fantastic. In Elderhostel, you can opt for a roommate and they will assign you one.. I guess what I am saying, the old adage from Betty McDonald...She wrote a book about it.. "Anyone can do anything".. I think this is really true and try to live it. Sometimes I fail, but generally the journey is interesting. So I cry a bit here and there and miss him desperately. I sometimes feel him watching me.. sometimes laughing, sometimes gently urging me forward..

Babi

« Reply #2150 on: April 13, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »
 STEPH, I recall my Dad describing a similar experience of my Mother's nearness after her
death.  It must be a great comfort, and I hope my children have some such comfort some future day.

jeriron

« Reply #2151 on: April 13, 2011, 08:57:13 AM »
Stephanie

Thank you for a very nice post. I'm hoping someday in the near future I Will be able to move ahead and start doing things on my own. At this point in time being only less then three months since my husband passed away I don't want to do anything out of the house  bad enough I guess.
so I spend lots of time moving from my computer to my IPad to my book. Plus I've watched lots of movies.  Right now even going to Walmart alone makes me want to go back home. I'm just as alone there as I am at home so I might as well stay home.

I'm very lucky to have my son doing most of the paper work before he goes to work. I didn't understand why I had to remove my husband name from everything like bills, charge cards etc. But after awhile I realized what was upsetting me about it was that it was like erasing his life away as if he never existed.

All the while he was sick he was mostly worried about leaving me alone. At 18 I went from living with my parents to getting married and living with my husband for 55 years. So I know it's going to take time and it won't change until I really want it to I guess.

Thanks for writing.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2152 on: April 13, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »
JERIRON: " I realized what was upsetting me about it was that it was like erasing his life away as if he never existed."

That's exactly the way I felt.

I also moved directly from my parents' home to a 50 year marraige. I've never lived alone. But I see my friends making the transition.

Steph

« Reply #2153 on: April 14, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »
I have left several things in his name.. Our entry in the telephone book.. His voice on my answering machine. I prefer not to let casual callers realize that there is no man in the house. But I do hate the phone calls that ask for him..
I also left the credit cards and bank account in place.That was on the lawyers advice..

jeriron

« Reply #2154 on: April 14, 2011, 08:27:03 AM »
I still have his name on E-mail and facebook (jeriron) forums.but it seems that just about everything else including charge cards and bank accts. his name has been taken off. Also utility bills. I kept arguing about it but my son kept saving I had to do that.
I do get phone calls asking for him but I always say he isn't here right now.
Some mail is coming in addressed to him. I think the ones that are just addressed to me upset me more.

ursamajor

« Reply #2155 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52:15 AM »
My mother continued to list her telephone under my father's namefter he passed away.  We were very surprised when a letter arrived for him offering to sell him life insurance.  This was FOUR YEARS after he passed away.  He would have been so amused!

Babi

« Reply #2156 on: April 14, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »
 STEPH, why did the lawyer advise leaving the credit cards and bank account as they were?
I would think that could lead to confusion in areas like filing tax returns, for example.
I'd be interested to know the legal viewpoint there.
  At one point after my divorce I considered taking back my maiden name.  But then I decided
it might be wiser not to make any change like that for a while.  It might have complicated the
sale of my house, for example.  My older daughters' SIL, a lawyer, said that was a good
decision.

MaryPage

« Reply #2157 on: April 14, 2011, 09:49:12 AM »
Himself has been dead for 5 years and 3 months now, and I took great care to get his name off of everything and close out every credit card, etc.  Only my name is on the phone, utilities and all.  When someone calls now and asks for him, it is always a salesman or someone trying to get a contribution.  I tell them he died January 12, 2006 and ask them to please take him off their list.  It breaks my heart all the mail that still comes here in his name!

I do not have to feel concern about the woman alone thing.  I list only my name and city in the phone book, requiring them to leave out the street address.  Also, I live in a gated community with good security guards at the gate 24/7.  No one ever knocks on my door other than an expected guest or a near neighbor.  I love it!  Absolutely no salesmen, politicians, crusaders, or what have you.

Oh, I still miss my husband something fierce every moment of every day.  You do get used to it.  You never get over it.  Two different things.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2158 on: April 14, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
MARY: my husband died 11 days after yours did. You do get used to it, and the memories get sweeter. But just yesterday, I found myself bursting into tears when something happened that reminded me too vividly of him.

But I still talk to him. Especially when I do something I know he wouldn't have liked. "I know what you're thinking" I say. "But it'll be OK. Don't nudge."

(nudge, pronounced noodge,: yiddish word for nag. Men don't nag, they nudge. You know the old joke. Shlomo was very religious. Every day, he prayed, and asked for good luck, good health etc. But the more he prayed, the worse things got for him. His neighbor Moishe never prayed, but had everything: wealth, health etc. etc. "Lord" said Shlomo, "I don't understand. Why when I pray three times a day and he never prays, don't you give me anything?" The answer came roaring back "BECAUSE YOU'RE NUDGING ME!").

Steph

« Reply #2159 on: April 15, 2011, 06:14:01 AM »
The two name bank account can now be closed out. But The bank people said to leave it just in case that first year. I did get a few checks made out to him.. The credit cards. I will probably change this year as each gets renewed. The lawyers explained that with the accident, insurance payments, etc, it was safer to leave that in place. It does not affect our tax situation.The first year of death, they are still alive from the governments point of view.. Then the next year, you are single.. They simply dont care about death at all..
I am closer and closer to no land line on the phone. My hearing aids hate my land line..No idea why and I am tired of worrying about it.