Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 866534 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2009, 02:54:30 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK    

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2009, 02:58:45 PM »
It works. I looked up Batya Gur, a very good Israeli mystery story writer to see if there were any more Israeli writers listed. I found out that Yael Dayan, the daughter of Moishe Dayan the prominant Israeli soldier and politician, writes mystery stories. Who knew?

Babi

« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2009, 08:08:34 AM »
Neither did I!  I found FF so useful just going by authors and titles,
it never occurred to me to look for other approaches.  See, JACKIE,
you're not slow. You're way ahead of the rest of us.  :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2009, 09:47:52 AM »
A different approach for sure.. I have several mystery encyclopedias.. Including an old one called " A womans Hand.. Good for female authors, although not a new book for sure.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2009, 02:13:04 PM »
I've finished "Merry Merry Ghost" and you were right: communicating what she knows is a problem for the ghost detective. Caroline Hart continues her interest in the old "Thin Man" series-- she has the ghost materialize sometimes under the name M. Loy.

mrssherlock

« Reply #245 on: November 08, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »
Somewhere I read/heard about Libby Fischer Hellmann's An Eye for Murder where we meet Ellie Foreman, a Chicago divorcee documentary filmaker.  I really like Ellie.  She's making her own way but worrying about her 12-yr-old daughter; Her ex just informed her that his online trading has put him in the hole so he can't pay the child support.  Sounds banal, we've heard it a million times, but something about Ellie keeps me reading.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/libby-fischer-hellmann/eye-for-murder.htm
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2009, 07:42:39 AM »
Jackie,, another new author for me. Will check her out.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mrssherlock

« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2009, 12:32:07 PM »
Someone here mentioned Rose Connors.  Thank  you.  I have fallen in love with Marty Nickerson, the narrator of Absolute Certainty, a riveting courtroom mystery.  Connors has written four books about Nickersona nd so i have book #2 on its way.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/rose-connors/absolute-certainty.htm
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #248 on: November 18, 2009, 09:08:04 PM »
You are invited to a

HOLIDAY OPEN HOUSE  for Book and Food Lovers

December 1 - 20

Guests will be YOU and  authors of your favorite books that combine a good story with good tips on food.  Do drop in and tell us about your favorite foodies, real and otherwise, be it Rachel Ray or Kate Jacobs or Tyler Florence or Joanne Harris.  Who's your favorite cook?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #249 on: November 18, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »
I wonder why there are so many mysteries with a food connection? Think you know them all? So did I, but was I wrong! Come December 1st and talk about it in our open house (link above).

Babi

« Reply #250 on: November 19, 2009, 07:46:22 AM »
I wonder why there are so many mysteries with a food connection?

You know the answer to that one, JOAN.  Somebody tried it, a lot of people saluted, and loads of people jumped on the bandwagon. (How's
that for a solid sentence of cliches?   ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #251 on: November 19, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »
Brillant!
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #252 on: November 19, 2009, 03:01:14 PM »
How about "Loads of people wanted a piece of the pie".

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: November 19, 2009, 03:49:40 PM »
That's a good one, JoanK  :)

mrssherlock

« Reply #254 on: November 20, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »
Avalanche is the second Sheriff Bo Tully book.  Bo and Pap, and their "Indian" tracker Dave, are stranded at the luxury lodge when an avalanche almost traps Bo and Pap on their way up to meet Dave as they investigate the mysterious disappearance of the lodge's owner.  The fun continues though this one did not produce as many laughs as the first one, The Blight Way; Blight County is in the far north of Idaho, not far from the Washington border.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/patrick-f-mcmanus/avalanche.htm
Jackie

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #255 on: November 20, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
We've just finished The Blight Way, and yesterday, got Avalanche from the library.  Haven't had a chance to start it yet.  Those are the only two Sheriff Tully books that our library has - although lots of others by the same author.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #256 on: November 21, 2009, 08:44:50 AM »
 I have "The Blight Way" in the other room now, waiting for me to finish
my current book. Your posts have me looking forward to it with glee,
JACKIE.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #257 on: November 21, 2009, 08:01:55 PM »
Hoorah: my local branch has "Blight Way".

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #258 on: November 21, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »
I looked around enough, and McManus does have a third Sheriff Tully mystery out now.  The Double-Jack Murders came out in October, as best as I can tell.  Our library doesn't have it yet.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

peace42

« Reply #259 on: November 22, 2009, 12:55:21 AM »
been a while so not sure what I've posted and what I haven't!! a senior moment? nah...someone referred to them as "intellectual interludes" 8) I like that much better. So bear with me if you've read this stuff before from me. Someone mentioned Robert Dugoni...as I say below, I will read more of his.

*Wrongful Death - Robert Dugoni - another lawyer turned writer but this guy is pretty good - better than Grisham - Iraq war widow wants to sue government over her husband’s death..not an easy feat considering all the laws in her way..but attorney David Sloane takes the case..of course he has a P.I. Friend who just happens to be ex-CIA..does everyone have a friend who used to work for the CIA or the FBI or some other such organization?!! I got confused at times but really did like it..some implausible stuff, of course, but still would read another of his..I

*Intervention - Robin Cook - really strange book - different from many of his others - found the dialogue stilted and the whole concept of the book confusing at best - 3 former college classmates find their lives crossing paths later in life - one is a head medical examiner in NYC, on a renowned archeologist and one the archbishop of NYC -  the end part of the book was just too strange to fathom and so implausible and just happened so fast -  Cook is a  prolific writer tho not the greatest but this is even a low point for him

*Lost Lake - Phillip Margolin - I love jacket blurbs…”powerhouse thriller” - “11th may be his best” - I’ve read some of his before and liked them - but this, well, just didn’t care for it all that much, but read it all the way thru! The ending was just to neat and pat and well, weird! Ex general running for President has daughter he once locked up in mental hospital so she wouldn’t talk about his past, which of course he denied cuz she was nuts…her ex boyfriend is on the scene, a killing machine made by the general during Vietnam..twists and turns that just didn’t cut it for me..but will give the guy another chance!

*Escape - Robert K. Tanenbaum - a good read just for the “information” contained in the nearly 700 pages (paperback) - radical Islamic plot to disrupt the American Economy all in the name of Allah - secondary story of woman who  killed her 3 children in the name of God - fascinating details about our economy, about radical Muslims - some stuff a bit implausible, of course, but a really good read…

a friend just loaned me a Michael Connelly so will start that...about ready to start on my "winter pile"...I have a huge basket of books purchased at yard sales that I save for the winter months when I don't get to the library as often, even tho it is just at the end of my block...what it really  means is I'm too lazy to go out in the winter months but I just don't like driving in the snow and ice

off to bed with Michael Connelly! gee, that didn't come out right did it? ...or did it ::) ;)

nite all...sleep well and dream of all the books you'll get for Christmas

Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

salan

« Reply #260 on: November 22, 2009, 07:07:24 AM »
Peace--"Intellectual interlude".  I love it and plan to use it from now on!

Can somebody out there help me?  I am in a very strange reading mood--maybe it's the time of the year, or this particular time in my life; but I am in a "dry spell".  After thumbing through my hundreds of unread books, and returning library books unread; I realize that right now I need a bit of "fluff"--a good old comfort book that makes me laugh and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I finish.  Anyone have any suggestions?  It doesn't necessarily have to be a mystery.
Thanks,
Sally

mrssherlock

« Reply #261 on: November 22, 2009, 10:03:46 AM »
I just finished Casting Off by Nicole R Dickson.  I picked it up because it sounded like a knitting mystery but it's neither.  Knitting enters into the story as it chronicles the summer our heroine spends on an island off the western coast of Ireland, researching the stories and oatterns of the ganseys, or, as we know them, Irish Fisherman's Sweaters.  She is a PhD in Archelolgy specializing in fibers and fiiber arts.  She brings her 6-yr-old daughter, a daughter she can't let out of her sight literally.  There is mystery, the mystery of her obsession with her daughter's safety.  This is a warm, cozy almost, book about a woman who is seeking something and how she fits in with the small, close community on the island with its rich history and complex relationships.  Vewry rich in Irishness.  I'll read this author again.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/nicole-r-dickson/casting-off.htm
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #262 on: November 22, 2009, 06:35:39 PM »
PEACE: also love your "intellectual interludes". I must be an intellectual-- I have so many of them.

JACKIE: sounds great.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #263 on: November 22, 2009, 06:56:08 PM »
SALAN: you've come to the right place.

Fluff, fluff! What to recommend? For funny, if you haven't read Janet Evanovitch, do (although her first, "One for the Money" is also gory). I like Donna Andrews ("Murder with Peacocks").

For the small town you're ready to pack up and move to: Louise Perry ("Still Life").

For how to raise kids and solve murders at the same time: Jill Churchill "Grime and Punishment" (stay away from her latest books).

Then there's the "food" mysteries: Joanna Fluke (owns a cookie store, recipies included -- don't remember which is the first)

There's the Rabbi's wife in a small texas town, Sharon Kahn ("Fax Me a Bagel - Ruby the Rabbi's Wife Book 1").

And the food critic in Washington Phyllis Richmond "The Butter Did It"

For a woman legal detective Lisa Scottalene (sp) "Everywhere that Mary Went"

For fluff that isn't a mystery Connie Kinsella "Confessions of a Shopaholic". Warning: the series is addictive.

In each case, I've given you the first book in a series, so if you like it, there's more to read.

OK, guys. What do the rest of you recommend?

Ok, others:

mrssherlock

« Reply #264 on: November 22, 2009, 07:59:15 PM »
Have you heard about Lisa Scottoline's new book, Why My Third Husband Will Be A Dog?  Not a mystery but a collection of her Philadelphia Inquirer columns called "Chick Wit".  It's on my list.  http://scottoline.com/Site/Books/husband.html
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #265 on: November 23, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »
  The Nicole Dickson book went on my list.  I remember I read one of
the cookie lady stories and liked it. 
  "You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again" was fun, and different. Can't think of the author just now, but the title is distinctive enough. I
think you might like that one, SALLY. 

peace42

« Reply #266 on: November 25, 2009, 09:37:18 PM »
just stopping in to wish everyone a wonderfully and blessed Thanksgiving...maybe relax with a book after that wonderful dinner...sleep well and peacefully
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

mrssherlock

« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
Those of you who, like  me, watch "Bones" and "CSI" may be interested in a new series by Wendy Roberts.  The first book is Remains of the Dead and that title is apt as the story is about a woman who does crime scene cleanup.  When her brother commits suicide, Sadie Novak takes on the task of the clean up to spare her mother that pain.  She realizes that she can do this for others as well so she trains, gets her certification and opens a buisiness in Seattle.  She has the talent, or "gift", of being able to see and talk to the dead who have not been able to cross over.  Her warmth and empathy allows them to come to terms with their state, though some are in denial, and finish their journey.  Suicides never appear; maybe because they are actively seeking the final destination so have no need to be helped along their way.  Not your average female who stumbles over a dead body and has to extricate herself from suspicion, is it?  Sadie and her family, her employee, her clients and her dead are captivating and the polts are lively with twists and turns.  Starting one of these books has been detrimental to my sleep because I can't put it down so must spend the entire night reading until "The End".  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/wendy-roberts/remains-of-dead.htm
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #268 on: November 27, 2009, 09:15:20 AM »
 I'll have to add Wendy Roberts to my checklist; sounds like an interesting new approach to the mystery heroine.
 I picked up two 'easy readers', both mysteries related to Christmas. Actually, I found the only relationship to Christmas was that they occurred shortly beore that holiday.  Still, they are enjoyable reading.
One is from Charlaine Harris' 'Shakespeare series',  predictably titled
"Shakespeare's Christmas".  The other is a 'Mrs. Jeffries' book, titled
"Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings".  Emily Brightwell writes that
series. They make light reading for the evenings when TV has nothing
but re-runs, old movies and football.

salan

« Reply #269 on: November 28, 2009, 07:25:13 AM »
Thank all of you for your "light-hearted" suggestions.  I immediately went to the library and returned all my unread books and checked out 6 books.  I have already read 2 of them.  I have a feeling that's all I will be reading until after the holidays.
Thank you, again.
Sally

mrssherlock

« Reply #270 on: November 28, 2009, 10:53:30 AM »
FYI: 
There is no easy way to do this... Tim and I were in a traffic accident on he 11th of November. He died on the 20th.. I was injured and am now home with home nursing etc. I am sure I will eventually be  ready to deal with things, but just now the world is a bit more than I can deal with.. So. I love you all and will certainly come back, but not yet. Steph
Jackie

Tomereader1

« Reply #271 on: November 28, 2009, 02:02:59 PM »
My condolences to you Steph.  I am so sorry for your loss.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

winsummm

« Reply #272 on: November 28, 2009, 02:47:28 PM »
ms sherlock. I'm speechless. less is more isn't it and steph's message is so full of pain I can hardly stand it. give her my best love,  claire
thimk

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #273 on: November 28, 2009, 03:36:43 PM »
Oh, Stephanie, all our love and prayers go out to you.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #274 on: November 28, 2009, 10:55:11 PM »
Oh, Dear Steph!  I'm so sorry to hear of your tragedy.  Much love to you and your family.  Thanks Jackie, for bringing us this sad news.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #275 on: November 30, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »

We're looking forward to seeing you at the

Holiday Open House

December 1 - 20

peace42

« Reply #276 on: November 30, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »
my book doesn't seem so important right now...my prayers and thoughts are with you Steph...peace to you and your family

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »
mrssherlock, I would like to add my thoughts and prayers to all the others expressed here.  Please come back when you are able.  Jean (FlaJean)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #278 on: December 01, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »
Salen: I forgot to say: if you try any of my suggestions, let me know what you think. We all have very different tastes in books.

marjifay

« Reply #279 on: December 01, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
I just finished THE JANISSARY TREE by Jason Goodwin. Great book that takes you inside the opulent sultan's palace as well as the sordid back alleys of Istanbul during the waning days of the Ottoman Empire in 1836.  The sultan has called on Yashim Togalu, a very smart eunoch, to find out who killed one of the sultan's harem girls as well as four officers of his New Guard army who were dispatched in very unusual and rather gruesome ways.  It kept me turning pages.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman