Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897616 times)

jeriron

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #2440 on: June 11, 2011, 08:03:41 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Steph

I found that Trutv is carrying the trial. I used tobe Courttv. and HLN is too but not all day. I think it's in the afternoon and on Sat. Morning. So I did get to watch it yesterday.

I have a few questions for you. Were they both living with her parents?  

So if the defense says it was an accidental drowning then they are also saying she faked the dealth by putting tape on her mouth and burying her in the woods. I guess trying to make it look like a kidnapping (the nannie)Right? And as of yesterday the ME said it was a homicide but didn't know the cause of dealth although it appeared to be the tape that caused it.

Babi

« Reply #2441 on: June 11, 2011, 08:53:57 AM »
 STEPH, can't you record the trial if it's still going on when you leave? Then you can catch up
when you return.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #2442 on: June 11, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »
I am not following this trial, but am aware of it a little bit from what is being said in here and from tidbits on the national evening news.

One thing I wonder about, and perhaps you know the answer.  There appear to be an awful lot of really professional looking photographs and movies of this 2 year old.  Amazing to me, as I never had that many of any of my children, each of whom was once two years old.  I would have loved to have had such pictures, but never had the money to spend in that way or the time or talent to devote to such a hobby.  Is there a photographer in the family?  Does this family have money?  The child appears to have had an awful lot of really nice "stuff," as well.

My once upon a time two year olds are now 64, 62, 59, 58, 57, 55, 53 and 47.  I have a few snapshots of each and a fair collection of pretty dreadful school photos.  Believe you me, they made do with an awful lot less "stuff," and what they had was not as decorative.

jeriron

« Reply #2443 on: June 11, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »
Now a days parents spend a lot of time taking pictures of their kids You can take pictures and videos fom your cell phone. I didn't think it was more then usual. same for toys,cloths etc.

My kids at that age didn't have nearly as much as the kids do now.

Babi

« Reply #2444 on: June 12, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
 Then, too, doesn't the first baby get a lot more of all that from the parents, grandparents,etc.
After a couple more, the novelty wears off a bit.  ::)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2445 on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:08 AM »
Yes that's true Babi, although as for photos, I took far more of my son than of my daughters, because by the time they were born my husband had got a digital camera and I don't understand how to work it, or how to get the photos onto and off the computer.  I can almost feel the tears in my eyes as I type this because I feel so disenfranchised by all of this stuff - it's not that he's not willing to show me, but i somehow never get it, so all the photos are now done by him (and more latterly also by elder daughter, who is gadget mad), and he is hardly ever home, so we do not have the spontaneous snaps that I used to get when I was here with the baby.

I think what I should really do is buy my own point and shoot camera and get my son to show me how to do the rest - in fact that is my plan!  Otherwise if I ever have any grandchildren I still won't be able to photograph them  ???

It's the same with recording from the TV - when we just had a video recorder I recorded Postman Pat, etc for my son every morning - but since the advent of DVDs I have failed so many time to record something that I have given up.  However, my in-laws say that the new hard drive recorder (I think that's it) that we gave them for their anniversary makes it all as simple as anything, so maybe that's what I need.

As for stuff - well it's true that my second daughter did not have any new clothes till she was at least 10 - she actually loved having her sister's hand-me-downs. 

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2446 on: June 12, 2011, 07:03:16 PM »
Rosemarykaye, there are a lot of digital point and shoot cameras that are really easy to use.  You could schedule a once-a-month downloading.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2447 on: June 12, 2011, 07:10:49 PM »
ROSEMARY: I bet it isn't your fault you didn't get it. There isn't one out of ten people who know how to teach to use an electronic device. When one of my computer geek relatives offers to teach me something, I say in effect "only if we do it MY way. I do it, you tell me what to do, and I stop and write down every step. Otherwise, it's a complete waste of time." Drives them nuts, but it works (about half the time).

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2448 on: June 12, 2011, 07:13:35 PM »
This morning's paper had an obituary of Lilian Jackson Braun (Bettinger), the author of the "The Cat Who...." series.  She was 97.  The story says that after she published the first 3, well-liked, books, she stopped for 20 years because the publishers wanted her to put in sex and violence, and she wasn't having any part of that.  Good thing she reconsidered and wrote the rest of the 29 books.

The Fantastic Fiction website is on the ball; they already have her death (it was June 4th).

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2449 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:32 AM »
Thanks Joan and Pat!  Moral support always welcome!  One of my friends has recently bought herself a "simple" (but certainly not cheap  :o) camera, I think I will ask her what it is and how she is getting on with it.  Great idea to schedule a regular downloading.  And yes, I so agree about people telling you how to do something - my daughter whizzes through it all so fast that I haven't even worked out where the mouse is on the screen before she's saying "and that's it"  ???

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #2450 on: June 13, 2011, 06:08:02 AM »
I have a small point and shoot and love it. It  fits in my pocketbook and even in a pocket.. The battery is piggy, so it is wise to remember to release the battery when you are not using it, but otherwise, it is so very simple to use.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #2451 on: June 13, 2011, 09:22:06 AM »
Thankfully, ROSEMARY, we have ATT U-verse, which means I can pick an upcoming show, push
the little red button that says "Record", and tra-la!  It's done. We can go in to our
recordings any time we like, chose one and command "Play"! Some things, thank Heaven,
modern technology makes easy for us non-tech types.
  JOANK makes a good point.  I recall my older daughter once had a math teacher, brilliant
fellow, but not good at all as a teacher. Sally and a couple of other bright students adopted
a pattern of taking turns asking him pertinent questions. By the time he had answered all
their questions, the rest of the class had a grasp on the subject.

Steph

« Reply #2452 on: June 14, 2011, 06:08:31 AM »
Many good and bright humans are terrible teachers. I know I had professors that were supposed to be brilliant, but they simply did not communicate well at all..Sad.

marjifay

« Reply #2453 on: June 14, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »
Has anyone read any good mysteries lately?

I'm reading the latest Matt Scudder mystery, A DROP OF THE HARD STUFF, by Lawrence Block. I'd forgotten what a great writer he is since reading his EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE a few years ago.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2454 on: June 14, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »
Just finished "Bury Her Deep" by Catriona MacPherson.  The heroine is Dandy Gilver, wife of a landowner in 1940s Perthshire.  Her sons are at boarding school, she has time on her hands, and she has started a sideline as an amateur detective. 

The first book, After The Armistice Ball, presumably explains how she has fallen into this "job" and how she has acquired her rather lovely sidekick, Alec, so I am going to read that next.  This book does, however, stand on its own, and I enjoyed it.  The action takes place in Fife, which in those days was a very inward-looking, backward sort of place - this is a farming community in which everyone is related to everyone else, and superstition and prejudice abound. Dandy is a great character, very sensible, a bit scatty, and with an articulate line in irony that I found very appealing.  The details of local ways are excellent, and really bring the setting to life.  The book is funny but also interesting, touching as it does on the issue of women's independence in a society where they were largely expected to stay at home and be satisfied with the domestic round.  I did want to know what was going to happen next.

The only slight problem I had with it was that the plot, especially towards the end of the book, was a tad confusing, with several strands all seeming to get a bit tangled up.  However, this may well be me with my usual inability to work these things out.  It didn't much spoil my enjoyment of the story, and I am looking forward to reading more.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #2455 on: June 15, 2011, 06:19:16 AM »
Will look for Catriona MacPherson. Never heard of her..She may not distribute in the US.. Who knows. Nook free book of the week is Robert Crais.. The Watchman.Wow..

Babi

« Reply #2456 on: June 15, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »
 ROSEMARY, I do enjoy "an articulate line in irony". I'm going to check
and see if my library has any of Catriona MacPherson books.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2457 on: June 15, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »
Read my first Mrs Polifax, "The Elusive Mrs Polifax",  last night - literally last night. Had a terrible night of not sleeping, so contiued reading each time i woke up. It was fun, fast and entertaining. ..... Jean

MaryPage

« Reply #2458 on: June 15, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »
Oh, I do so love Mrs. Pollifax!

Steph

« Reply #2459 on: June 16, 2011, 06:02:14 AM »
My swap club has lots of McPherson, all on people wish list, so I assume there are not many circulating..
Finished Shanghai Girls last night. Did not like the ending at all.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2460 on: June 16, 2011, 02:53:31 PM »
ROSEMARY: thanks for the excellant description of McPherson's book. really gave me a sense of it. They have one on McPherson on Kindle --"An Unsuitable Day for a Murder". Love that title, play on "An Unsuitable Job for a Woman" by P.D. James. I'll get a sample.

Is there any difference between names with Mac and with Mc. or is it just like any spelling difference?

mabel1015j

« Reply #2461 on: June 16, 2011, 05:32:59 PM »
I was told decades ago that Mc is Irish and Mac is Scottish.........i have no idea if that is correct.....:)....... Jean

MaryPage

« Reply #2462 on: June 16, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
It IS correct, Jean.

roshanarose

« Reply #2463 on: June 16, 2011, 10:35:08 PM »
Yep it is!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #2464 on: June 17, 2011, 08:53:50 AM »
 Victoria Thompson has a new book out in her Victorian mystery series,
set in New York.  "Murder on Lexington Avenue".   I'm hoping to pick it
up at my library this morning.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2465 on: June 17, 2011, 10:25:32 PM »
I've read it, and it's quite nice.

Steph

« Reply #2466 on: June 18, 2011, 06:10:57 AM »
I really do like Victoria Thompson.. She makes me believe I am back there in NYC with her. An interesting writer. I am finishing up the latest Louise Penny.. I think I have maybe 20 pages left and the whole thing makes no sense. I am disappointed in this one.

jeriron

« Reply #2467 on: June 18, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »
Babi

the newest Victoria Thompson book just came out (Murder on Sisters Row) I'm almost done with it. I'm enjoying it. It does annoy me that the Kindle version of a lot of new books have gone up to $11.99.

Babi

« Reply #2468 on: June 18, 2011, 09:42:01 AM »
 Thanks, JERIRON.  I didn't know there was yet another Victoria Thompson out.  I just read about "Murder on Lexington Avenue" in a very recent magazine.

Tomereader1

« Reply #2469 on: June 18, 2011, 10:38:30 AM »
I am currently reading (just about finished) "Scattered Graves" by Beverly Connor.  This series is about Diane Fallon, Forensic Investigator.
Sort of like the series "Bones" on TV.  This is my third one.  I had read her before, and forgot about the series, and just happened to pick this one up at the library.  I would start at the first book in the series, so you know the "politics" and characters involved in the stories.  Connor also writes the Lindsay Chamberlain, Archaeology mysteries.  I've only read one of those so far.  Fallon books are light and easy-reading, and while you do have murders and such, its passive violence.  Also, no bad language and gratuitous sex scenes.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #2470 on: June 18, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »
Took some books to the used book store and used some of my credits on two more Steve Berry - The Romanov Prophecy and The Emperor's Tomb.  Berry has an exclusive ebook short story out too. Most places seem to list the 31 page story for $.99. I have to double check my TBR pile to see if I have his Venetian Betrayal. Other than that all I need to get yet is The Paris Vendetta and I will be caught up with his books.

I don't think these books are exactly mysteries. What would you call them? Adventure, suspense, just plain fiction?

mabel1015j

« Reply #2471 on: June 18, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
I just finished a new author - to me at least- and it was a good read. Maris Soule, the title of this book is The Crows. She is a college prof who began by writing romance, but moved on to mystery. In this book an accountant who has just moved into the family homestead by herself,  thinks it is the perfect place to work on her clients tax files. While walking in the woods behind her house w/ her Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy, she hears shots and returns to the house to find a dying man on her kitchen floor.

The writing is sharp and clear, the suspense continues thru the book. I liked the lead character, she and the other characters seemed real to me, altho the others characters are not flushed out much, just enough to justify them to the story. She throws in a little of her " romance" genre, but it's not much and not too contrived. I felt the author had to contrive the story a bit to get it to get to the importance of the title, but that was o.k., i enjoyed it. Was having a bad sleep night, so i read it in one night, which is unusual for me.

Have started a Lea Wait book "Shadows at the Fair", one of the "antique dealers" stories. This is my first of her books. I think someone here had mentioned her. I think it's going to be fun.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2472 on: June 18, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »
A newer new Victoria Thompson? That's good news!

So many good suggestions, here. FRY: what is the period/background of the Steve Berry books? The titles are interesting. I'll have to check out Conner. I'm addicted to "Bones" (for once, the TV series is better than the books, but the graphic scenes really get to me. Especially when it comes on at dinnertime).

And accountants and antique dealers. Two more chances to learn about something I knew nothing about. (Probably past time to learn about doing the accounts.

I was disappointed by last weeks crop of library books. So I've been reading "the Anteater of Death" by Betty Webb about the zookeeper who keeeps on finding bodies. I enjoyed "The Koala of Death" so much, I've been hiding "Anteater" on my kindle, waiting for a rainy day. Not as good, but still just what I need.

Frybabe

« Reply #2473 on: June 18, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »
JoanK, the setting of the Berry books is modern day, but they revolve around lost real or thought to be real artifacts/antiquities. The name sometimes tells you what it is they are looking for as in The Amber Room, the famous amber wall panels from the Hermitage(?) which disappeared during WWII, and The Templar Legacy which is about the supposed Templar hoard that the King of France wanted to get his hands on but was never found. I don't yet know what they are looking for in The Romanov Prophecy, or in The Venetian Betrayal, (which it turns out I do have), in The Paris Vendetta(don't have yet), or in The Emperor's Tomb (looks like oriental type Emperor venue). The ebook short story revolves around a female character introduced in The Templar Legacy who I really liked.

In The Amber Room, heroine and hero were lawyers (one or both, I forget) from the US. The hero of The Templar Legacy and The Alexandria Link is an ex-pat American who owns a bookstore in Denmark (or Sweden, again fuzzy brain).

If you get around to reading The Templar Legacy go to http://www.renneslechateau.com/default-uk.htm where you can see pix of the actual site and a bio of the historical people that populated it. The French have turned it into quite a tourist attraction.

Babi

« Reply #2474 on: June 19, 2011, 09:24:28 AM »
  I haven't read any Steve Berry, FRYBABE, but the titles sound interesting. 'Prophecy' always sounds intriguing.  "The Crows" sounds good, too, JEAN. Like I needed two more authors!  Well, actually, maybe I do. I'm having a hard time lately finding something that interests me. Two new possibilities are very welcome just now.
  Just read your second post, and I remember "The Amber Room" now. As I recall, I wasn't too taken with it, but I'll try one of his other books.

JOANK, I'm so glad to find someone else who thinks the TV 'Bones' is better than the books. I read two of the books, and didn't find the heroine there nearly as interesting.

I've often thought that these characters who keep 'finding bodies' are bound to be 'persons of interest' with the police.  Highly suspicious! 8)

Frybabe

« Reply #2475 on: June 19, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »
The Amber Room was my least favorite also, Babi. I loved The Templar Legacy though.

Let me know how how you like the Lee Wait book, Jean. I used to love watching the old Lovejoy TV series, so I am interested in finding out if it is anything like that.

Steph

« Reply #2476 on: June 19, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »
I have read one or two Steve Berry.. not bad actually when I am in the mood for that sort of mystery..

nlhome

« Reply #2477 on: June 20, 2011, 05:49:58 PM »
I just finished The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell.
I wish I remembered more of world history during the 60's and 70's, but I was caught up in the Vietnam controversy, didn't pay enough attention to the rest. If I had time, I would do some more reading, but so many books, so little time, so much other stuff to do.

Steph

« Reply #2478 on: June 21, 2011, 06:20:32 AM »
I got a Mankill book, but it is in my bookbag for my months stay in the mountains. Books are packed, IPAD loaded.. now to think about what else I need.... Oh, the dogs stuff is packed as well. YOu can tell order of importance in my household.

Babi

« Reply #2479 on: June 21, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
 I'm into my first Tarquin Hall book,  "The Case of the Missing Servant".   I'm enjoying it, tho'
actually I'm finding the background on India more fascinating that the mystery.  I wish I knew
precisely the time period of the setting.  Modern, obviously, but contemporary??  There are,
for instance, all those clerks using typewriters.  Are barbers still setting up shop under a shady
tree in the big city?   ???