Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897635 times)

maeve

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #2480 on: June 22, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

I think I have read all of Steve Berry's series with Cotton Malone.  Some of his books are stand alone, I think the Amber Room was one of those.  There is a lot of history and myth in these books.  How much is true is for you to figure out.  I'm finishing up his latest one, The Jefferson Key.  I'm not sure any of it is true and I don't like it as well as his other books.  Don't know why.  Maybe I'm just getting tired of this series.

MaryH

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2481 on: June 22, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »
BABI: good point about Tarquin Hall " Modern, obviously, but contemporary?? " I just assumed that it was --didn't catch the typewriters. Boy, that seems like the dark ages now. I liked the book, and it's sequel "The Case of The Man Who Died Laughing" --although the plot of the latter is quite a stretch.

Read another Parnell Hall (no relation, I'm sure) "The Ken Ken murders". It didn't hold my interest somehow. Maybe if I did the Ken Ken (sort of sudoku wit arithmatic added) I would have liked it better. It did have Manny's crossword puzzles in it.

Steph

« Reply #2482 on: June 23, 2011, 06:19:30 AM »
I am reading an Ariana Franklin that is something of a mystery. It also has Anna Anderson( Anastasia)
Berlin between the two world wars and all sorts of russian emigrees.. Whew..Good book.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #2483 on: June 23, 2011, 08:50:38 AM »
 JOANK,  I've really enjoyed the Tarquin Hall book,  though I was mildly frustrated by all the
references to previous cases with intriguing titles.  All non-existent, of course, since "The Case
of the Missing Servant" is the first of the Puri Vishti books.  Really naughty of Mr. Hall to do that.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #2484 on: June 24, 2011, 06:14:57 AM »
Wanting a complete no thinker, I dug in my TBR box and got out an Ed McBain..Nothing like the police station and their routine to soothe the soul.

MaryPage

« Reply #2485 on: June 25, 2011, 11:57:43 AM »
I just got Camilla Lackberg's latest, THE PREACHER.  Looking forward to it as soon as I finish tossing off several of those frothy Aunt Dimitys.  Nancy Atherton is just the light weight fun for these hot sleepy afternoons.

Babi

« Reply #2486 on: June 26, 2011, 08:20:28 AM »
The Victoria Thompson is easy reading, too.  Something is always happening, so it's easy to keep on reading.  And so I don't suffer any twinges of guilt, I always learn something about old New York in her books.
   Did  you know that at one time the NYPD actively recruited big men
from Ireland to come over and be policemen?  Six footers and broad in
the beam.  They came to be referred to as the 'whales'.  They may not
necessarily have been great fighters, but most criminals did not care to
find out first hand.  Their daunting presence did help to curb crime.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #2487 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »
Oh Babi, the mental picture of the Whales is really funny.. Such strange facts we discover in our beloved books.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2488 on: June 26, 2011, 09:35:16 PM »
Not exactly a mystery, but I'm reading a non-fiction book that no one but me and a bunch of computer nerds could possibly be interested in. Called The Lure, it's the story of the capture and trial of two Russian computer hackers. The trial part contains long descriptions (including computer code) of exactly how they did what they did. most of the programs they used are listed as widely available on the internet or using widely known holes in operating systems. I hope since it came out, someone has fixed thing so the methods described here wont work. Whatever little confidence I had in the security of the web is gone.

Steph

« Reply #2489 on: June 27, 2011, 06:14:03 AM »
My problem is that I dont quite understand the hackers.. Why oh why should you ruin someone elses work. The thieves for identity is one thing. They are just crooks and should go to jail.But the deliberate hack to ruin.. They are corrupt.. And they seem to feel that they should punish all who do not agree with them. Wrong.

Babi

« Reply #2490 on: June 27, 2011, 08:33:26 AM »
 Now that you ask that question, STEPH,  it occurs to me that it could
be anger and vengeance.  How many computer genius types have been
put down as 'nerds' and 'geeks',  scorned by the athletic types,  ignored
by the good-looking girls?   The hacks know they are way smarter than
those humiliating them, ...and they definitely know how to get even.  I
think they just get to a point where they not longer draw the line and
enjoy proving their 'superiority'  to everyone.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2491 on: June 27, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »
Babi - good point, the good looking girls (and boys) at school have so much to answer for - and of course they get away with it right through life.

My younger daughter has just learned which registration class she will be in next year.  She is very pleased about it, and said that as well as the girls that she had asked to be with (there are only about 5 per class, + tons of boys), she is with the "geeky" boys, whom she likes much better because she can talk to them.  I wish I had had her sense when I was wasting my time swooning over the "hot" boys!

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2492 on: June 27, 2011, 11:09:44 AM »
The latest issue of Time Magazine (The Constitution is on the cover) has a very interesting article about Hackers, and about how little we are protected from them.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #2493 on: June 27, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »
For a mystery centered around a French bookstore that stocks only 'Good Books' you will enjoy figuring out who is the behind the culprits of an auto accident that lands a published author in the hospital, abducts into the forest another well respected author, a known alcholic who they force on him a bottle of liquer so that he ends up in a hospital and a couple of brutes stalk a third author causing him during his daily walk to lay on the trail of the side of a mountain and the next day to run home with the brutes taunting him. After the bookstore opens there are more outrageous attacks -

While reading this book we are treated as the author writes many memorable quotes about reading - one gem after the other - The story centers on the opening of a bookstore and we are privy to all the decisions made by those creating a start-up business in Paris.

Won't your join us - July 1, when Mercie and I start the discussion of "The Novel Bookstore" by Laurence Cossé

Not sure I know how to do this but here is the URL for the pre-discussion -
http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=2267.0

We found so many bits and pieces in French sites about this book I am excited - The English reviews seem to have only copied from each other and missed so much that Laurence Cossé brings to our attention in one of the two videos that will be linked to the discussion where an interpreter sits by her side while our author explains her intent - this will be an adventure reading a literary style we have seldom explored. Come on over and enjoy the adventure.

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #2494 on: June 28, 2011, 06:19:47 AM »
I recently saw some old Ed McBain's and picked them up at a book sale. They are strictly procedurals, but nice and mindless to use as a quick book.. Finished the latest paperback of Evanovich.. Sizzling sixteen.. She is losing her touch or getting bored..Too much Lula and not enough others.

Babi

« Reply #2495 on: June 28, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »
 Good for your daughter, ROSEMARY!

I am currently reading another of the Thursday Next series, titled "One
of our Thurdays is Missing".  I love the play on words and the fun Fforde
pokes at our literary pretensions.  BookWorld, for instance, has a
newspaper which reports the weekly trends in reading.  "Urban Vampires
were once more heavily forcast for the week ahead, with scattered Wizards moving in from Wednesday and a high chance of Daphne
Farquitt novels near the end of the week."   And, of course, there is
the fun of interpreting Ms. Malaprop in this story.

And, after you've spent July with Barb and Marcie at the Novel Bookstore,
you might like to join JoanP and I,  "Dancing at the Rascal Fair" on Aug. 1.

Frybabe

« Reply #2496 on: June 28, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
Another Jasper Fforde fan. I have to read Thursday Next: First Among Sequels before I read the newest. I'd like to try his nursery rhyme based novels at some point in the future.

Steph

« Reply #2497 on: June 30, 2011, 06:12:15 AM »
I have read some of the Thursday books, but not all.. I have to be in a really good mood for them. A lot of whimsy..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2498 on: June 30, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »
And I'm reading "Sizzling Sixteen" and enjoying it a lot. I was laughing so hard this morning, my family rushed in to see what was the matter. Lucky we all have different tastes.

nancymc

« Reply #2499 on: July 01, 2011, 10:58:49 AM »
To go back to the Mc or Mac, I married a Mc whose family was one of the original  Scottish clans,   I have never thought about it but must investigate.   

Nancy

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2500 on: July 01, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
There's a lot more to this than I thought.

roshanarose

« Reply #2501 on: July 02, 2011, 12:49:18 AM »
nancymc - A very small bit of research under the search heading "difference between mc and mac scot" revealed some interesting answers.  Here is one:

freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mcmunn/surname.htm

Unfortunately, this link doesn't "link".  It should show up in the search results page/s though.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #2502 on: July 02, 2011, 09:39:20 AM »
Oh I am now reading the second adventure of Flavia De Luce.. What a hoot.. A bloodthirsty 11 year old..Such fun.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2503 on: July 02, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »
Reading my first Victoria Thompson book.....Lenox Hill.....thanks for the recommendation. It's quite readable and i'm enjoying the story of a mentally impaired 17 yr old who is pregnant and the mystery is how that happened since she is always w/her family. It's got me curious.

Jean

marjifay

« Reply #2504 on: July 02, 2011, 08:25:35 PM »
I just finished Michael Connelly's latest legal thriller with attorney Mickey Haller, THE FIFTH WITNESS.  Altho his Harry Bosch series is my favorite, this is the best  of his Mickey Haller series so far, IMO, since his The Lincoln Lawyer. Takes you through the trial of a woman accused of killing the head of the loan department of the bank that has foreclosed on her house. I had a hard time putting this book down.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

roshanarose

« Reply #2505 on: July 02, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »
marjifay - I like Michael Connelly's books too.  But I particularly enjoy John Connolly's books.  Check him out if and when you get time. 

I am not sure if it is spelled Connelly or Connolly. 
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

marjifay

« Reply #2506 on: July 03, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »
Thanks, Roshanarose, for your recommendation of John Connolly (I checked and you're right, it's spelled with an "o."_)
I've put The Unquiet on my TBR list.  Have meant to read some Connolly, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Recently read Lawrence Block's A DROP OF THE HARD STUFFF (a Matt Scudder mystery).  Block is such a great writer.
This is one of the few mysteries I'd read again, just for Block's musings about life.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #2507 on: July 03, 2011, 08:43:43 AM »
I have always like thScudder stories.. They have a certain rhythm I love.

Babi

« Reply #2508 on: July 03, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »
 I've just started a Harlan Coben, "Long Lost".   I've only read him once before
and though he is undoubtedly a good writer I found the other book darker than
I like.  I've hesitated to try him again, but I'm liking "Long Lost" much better.
A little soon to decide...he may lead down dark paths once again.  ;)

MaryPage

« Reply #2509 on: July 03, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »
I love, love, love Harlan Coben.

Steph

« Reply #2510 on: July 04, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
I love both Myron and then stand alones by Coben, but the stand alones are dark indeed.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2511 on: July 04, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »
I've only read one Coben -- a stand alone -- Hold Tight.  Absolutely fascinating, much focus on teenagers and some of their not-so-savory activities.  It provoked a lot of discussion in my f2f group.  Has anyone read Caught -- another recent one of his, and I think also a stand alone.  It sounds good.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2512 on: July 04, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
Reading a wonderful and different Lisa Scottoline book,  Dirty Blonde. The protagonist is a newly appointed federal judge in Philadelphia, of course. It has surprising twists and turns and is compelling to read. It might be the best LS i've read.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2513 on: July 04, 2011, 03:01:52 PM »
I love LS! She's one author I reread.

I'm reading the latest (I think) Donna Leon, "Drawing Conclusions". Good, as always. In spite of my continuing irretation at the wife, Paola, who is a professor at the university aned produces gourmet three course meals twice a day (lunch and dinner) which he doesn't even show up to eat. GRRRR. In this book, she had the NERVE to start to talk for a minute about HER work, but he sees it coming and in panic cuts her off at the pass by talking about his work. Double GRRR.

salan

« Reply #2514 on: July 04, 2011, 06:28:26 PM »
I just received free from the publisher the latest Tess Gerritsen Rizzoli & Iles book, The Silent Girl.  I love the Rizzoli & Iles series on TNT, but have never read one of the books.  Since I am currently reading 3 books, I passed it on to my SIL to read first.  She finished and really liked it.  She will return it to me tomorrow and it will be on the top of my tbr pile.  Do any of you watch the series?  Have you read any of the books?
Sally

mabel1015j

« Reply #2515 on: July 04, 2011, 07:19:55 PM »
I love the tv series and think Angie Harmon is perfect in her role, as is the Iles actress. But i've tried to read two of the books and they were just too gruesome for me. I put each down, unfinished.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #2516 on: July 05, 2011, 08:07:11 AM »
Funny.Angie Harmon and I always think of her in Law and Order. She was always so serious..

Babi

« Reply #2517 on: July 05, 2011, 09:48:03 AM »
That's a high recommendation, JEAN. I'll have to see if my library has it. And
thanks for the tip about the Rizzoli and Iles books. I really love the TV series and
would not want to spoil it with 'gruesome'.

JOAN, I remember meeting a couple once..she was an RN and he had some kind of job
involving physical labor...can't remember what.  He resented the fact that she had
a better education and took no trouble to hide his resentment, even in the company
of others. I can only hope, for her sake, she eventually got out of that marriage.

MaryPage

« Reply #2518 on: July 05, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »
Have never read any of the books, but have loved the Rizzoli & Isles TV series when I have been able to catch it.  Fact is, it has been coming on much too late for me most of the time, or has competed with something else I had to see at other times;  so I have only seen a few of them.  I hope for reruns.

I particularly love the fact that Isles' tortoise is named for an old childhood friend of mine.  Really!  By the author of the books, who knows him, and not by the actress, Sasha Alexander, who is married to one of Sophia Loren's sons.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2519 on: July 05, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
I'm trying to imagine what Sophia Loren's sons would look like. If they are as "hot" (in a manly way, of course) as she was, Sasha is lucky.