Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897671 times)

MaryPage

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #2640 on: July 30, 2011, 03:05:56 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK    

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gruber_(author)

http://www.michaelgruberbooks.com/books.html

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2641 on: July 30, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »
I read online that Gideon's Sword is going to be the basis for a movie. See http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/17316/michael-bay-wields-preston-child-s-sword-

I read somewhere else that there might have been a movie deal in the works from the beginning and that's why the writing is different (less complex?) than the usual Preston & Child books.

roshanarose

« Reply #2642 on: July 31, 2011, 12:13:59 AM »
MaryPage - I have read two of Gruber's.  I enjoyed the books very much.  A little bit of supernatural, a little bit of voodoo; some South American magic as well, and some rather unique sleuthing and storytelling.  "Tropic of Night" and "Night of the Jaguar" are the ones I have read.  The detective is satisfyingly different.  He is Cuban.

I think that you would also like John Connolly (not Michael Connelly, although he is good too).  Some of his work includes supernatural themes.  Or have I already recommended him to you?
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #2643 on: July 31, 2011, 08:37:01 AM »
 I'm not surprised, MARCIE.  It's a natural for the Bruce Willis type of extreme
action. If you're right about the pre-arranged movie deal, I perhaps can forgive Preston & Childs for departing so far from their original class act.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #2644 on: July 31, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »
I watched two Jesse Stone movies on the Hallmark Channel last night. I think some if you read Robt Parker, do the movies follow the books closely? Do you like his books?

Jean

Babi

« Reply #2645 on: August 01, 2011, 08:37:28 AM »
 I never cared very much for Robert Parker's books.  I'm not sure why; just a
personal taste, I guess.  I have enjoyed the Jesse Stone movies, though.  I think
that is largely because  Tom Selleck  is so good in the role.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #2646 on: August 01, 2011, 10:01:58 AM »
 Iam and was a Robert Parker fan from day one. No, the movies are not that close to the books.. I love the books.. The movies I like because of Tom Selleck, but he is not the damaged man that Jesse is in the books.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #2647 on: August 02, 2011, 08:50:21 AM »
  I don't know, STEPH.  Struggling with alcoholism,  short-term relationships and
general isolation, ..that sounds damaged to me.  But maybe it's much worse in
the books; I haven't read those.

Steph

« Reply #2648 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »
Jesse is not my favorite character of Parkers, but at least he does not have the poisonous
Susan Silverman in his life..

Frybabe

« Reply #2649 on: August 02, 2011, 11:32:07 AM »
Just finished  Dorothy Sayers', Clouds of Witness (you are right, Marcie). I think I will have to read another before I form a firm opinion. Lots of wonderful plot twists and clues, but I turned my nose up a little at his Lordship's conversation. It sounded so "dead common" rather than the Oxford English you might hear from an aristocratic mouth. I refer, mostly, to Wimsey's habit of endin' his endings and investigatin' rather than  investigating, if you get my drift. The story lends itself well to a TV production, I think.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2650 on: August 02, 2011, 04:48:55 PM »
FRY: PatH, a Sayers fan, says the books vary a lot in how good they are. Try "Murder Must Advertise", the first one. It's supposed to be very good.

I always found Lord Peter's verbal "tics" very annoying. I don't know if Sayers fans do also.

Frybabe

« Reply #2651 on: August 02, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »
Thanks for the input JoanK. I will try that one next. You know, I remember seeing the TV Wimsey and a fellow named Campion years ago, but I remember very little of the stories except that I liked them.

MaryPage

« Reply #2652 on: August 03, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
I found all of the Sayers books absolutely delicious fun.  Wish there were some left for me to read, but alas, I've read them all.  I own all of the films made, as well;  but in the old VHS videos.  Still have a player, though!

Think I have said so before, but I'll say it again:  Gaudy Night was my very favorite.

Steph

« Reply #2653 on: August 04, 2011, 06:03:42 AM »
I love Sir Peter.. Harriet was supposed to be Sayers alter ego.. She was a bit overwhelming at times.
Loved the Campion series. Have not thought of them in years. They were fun.

Babi

« Reply #2654 on: August 04, 2011, 08:37:04 AM »
I've picked up another James Doss, one of the earlier ones.  I expect to start that today.  Native
religions and cultures have always fascinated me.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2655 on: August 04, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
I am so enjoying the third Louise Penny - The Cruellest Month - that I really don't want it to end.  The setting and the characters are all so well drawn, I'm so glad there are more after this!

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #2656 on: August 04, 2011, 12:53:42 PM »
The only other Dorothy Sayer, Wimsey free ebook I can find, so far, is Who's Body?. I downloaded it and Rafael Sabatini's Captain Blood, Scaramouche, and another of his but haven't transferred them to my Kindle yet.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2657 on: August 04, 2011, 02:34:27 PM »
FRY: I haven't read Sabatini in decades! This kind of swashbuckling adventure goes in and out of fashion: it's "in" at the moment. I'll have to see if they "hold up".

Steph

« Reply #2658 on: August 05, 2011, 05:56:27 AM »
I am having a cant settle sort of week and I have started four different books and set them down..Sigh.. Must go rummage and see if I can find one that interests me.

JimNT

« Reply #2659 on: August 05, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »
I'm about to finish my first Thomas Perry novel featuring the Butcher's Boy and titled Informant.  Where have I been?  This is one of the best written mystery novels I've ever read.  Mr. Perry got the Edgar Award for his first Butcher's Boy novel way back in the early eighties.  I shall began my attempt to catch up.

Babi

« Reply #2660 on: August 05, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
 Thanks for the tip, JIM.  I'm not famiiar with Thomas Perry and I'd hate to miss a really good
one.

Tomereader1

« Reply #2661 on: August 05, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »
Those who have "missed" Thomas Perry have really missed out on a great bunch of mysteries.  I, myself, prefer his Jane Whitfield series. But he is definitely a good writer!  My library doesn't have this new one, Informant, yet.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2662 on: August 05, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »
Thomas Perry sounds like a winner, and my library has 11 titles.  Now, how about a day to do nothing but read.

Tomereader1

« Reply #2663 on: August 05, 2011, 12:31:46 PM »
If you read the "Jane Whitfield" series, start with the very first one if it is available!  She is a most interesting character, and I think you will enjoy her. 

He wrote a book a couple years ago, that I did not care for.  I think it was the first one he penned while "taking a break from the Whitfield series" (in his words).  I had emailed him and asked when the next Jane would be forthcoming.  I was surprised I did get an answer back.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2664 on: August 05, 2011, 12:37:28 PM »
I got a Thomas Perry book to try (Silence) for my Kindle at $1.99.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

salan

« Reply #2665 on: August 05, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
My late husband loved the "butcher's boy" series and introduced me to him with the Jane Whitfield series.  Wow! He is a really good writer.  The butcher's boy series is too grusome/scary for me; but I love the Jane Whitfield.  I agree with Tomereader, start with the first as it introduces the premise and sets the tone.
Sally

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2666 on: August 05, 2011, 06:54:23 PM »
Too bad I just came back from the library.

The first "Jane Whitfield" book by Thomas Perry is "Vanishing Act". kindle has it for $7.99. I'll get the sample (I don't let myself buy kindle books over $2,99 when I have unread library books, but this will remind me to look for him).

Got another Charlaine Harris. i tried the series with the vampires and didn't like it. Apparently I'm alone: that's mostly what my library has. But I got one other.

Babi

« Reply #2667 on: August 06, 2011, 09:54:52 AM »
 "Vanishing Act" sounds so familiar; I'm wondering if perhaps I did read that one in the dim past.
Can someone tell me briefly what it's about?  That might help me recall whether I did. Unfortunately, 'dim past' is beginning to encompass shorter and shorter periods of time.  ;)

nancymc

« Reply #2668 on: August 06, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »
I have started the 3rd C. J. Sansom - Sovereign and am finding it hard not to sit down and keep reading til I finish.     I try to ration myself and mostly read in bed at night but sometimes it is hard to wait!   and Matthew Shardlak is hard to leave.   I looked up Thomas Perry on Kindle but he is a bit expensive like JoanK I limit myself to the cheaper books on Kindle,  I do not know why, I suppose it is because you do not actually get a book, ( I do love real books) but just an extension to your PC.
Nancy

Tomereader1

« Reply #2669 on: August 06, 2011, 10:56:37 AM »
Nancy, do you have a Half-Price Books or equivalent near you?  Also, on-line, ThriftBooks, Alibris usually has great prices on older books.  Even Amazon's sellers, too.  Lots of choices to go to without spending the exorbitant $$

André Maurois

nancymc

« Reply #2670 on: August 06, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »
I do thrall the charity shops for books and usually pick up something, I have a lilbrary membership but never go there, I  also pick up books at car boot sales or garage sales.   I buy a lot of books from Amazon but unfortunately the postage to Ireland can be very expensive.

Nancy

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2671 on: August 06, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
got a Thomas Perry book to try (Silence) for my Kindle at $1.99

Thanks for that info, MaryZ.  I just downloaded the same.

MaryPage

« Reply #2672 on: August 06, 2011, 03:11:35 PM »
Reading TROPIC OF NIGHT by Michael Gruber this weekend.  A real enthralling page turner recommended by a beloved first cousin.  Already had it on my shelves, as one of my sons gave me 5 of Gruber's books for Christmas.  It is really WOW!  Not a British cozy type.

Next on the list is Vendetta by Michael Dibdin, because I recently saw the film on Masterpiece Mystery.  Have already read Ratking and Cabal, but thought I'd better dive into this goodie.

Too many books in my many bookshelves, and too little time.  But I'm having fun!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2673 on: August 06, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »
 like JoanK I limit myself to the cheaper books on Kindle,  I do not know why"

I know why. the first month I had my kindle, I spent more on books than the kindle cost. It's soooo tempting to just click and get the book.

nancymc

« Reply #2674 on: August 06, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »
I'm afraid you are right Joan, sometimes if I cannot sleep I get up and come in to my computer and order a few books for my Kindle, I got Pride and Prejudice recently for nothing...brilliant.

I have tried to get Silence by Thomas Perry but Amazon does not give me the option.

Nancy

salan

« Reply #2675 on: August 06, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »
Nancymc, are you in Ireland?  Where? 
Babi, Vanishing Act introduces Jane Whitfield, a native American (Indian) guide that helps people disappear by creating new identities and locations for them.  All the Whitfield books are really good.  It helps to start with this first one as it introduces Jane and sets the tone for others.
Sally

salan

« Reply #2676 on: August 06, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
I am almost finished with the first Rizzoli book--The Surgeon.  It's good, but a little too bloody and gory for my taste.  I probably won't read any more.  I read Gerritsen's latest, The Silent Girl (it was sent to me--free!) and enjoyed it as it wasn't too graphic, but after reading this one............
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2677 on: August 06, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
I too enjoyed the Peter Wimsey and Campion series on PBS. I can still hear in my head, the dialect that Ian Carmichael gave to the character. He ended a lot of sentences with "Don't ye know?"  And I remember him calling a hand your "paddy paw." He was a strange but amusing character.

Thanks to MaryPage's recommendation, I just finished "Ratking" by Michael Dibdin -- the first in the Aurelio Zen series. I like the character. I'm going to picture him as Rufus Sewell from the PBS production even though he doesn't come across in quite the same way in the book. He seemed to be slow to take action in the beginning of the book-- reacting more than directing action. But at the end, when he was "solving" the case, he was doing amazing sleuthing and managing/manipulation of people (the bad guys). I want to see what Zen is like in the subsequent books.

nancymc

« Reply #2678 on: August 07, 2011, 06:47:36 AM »
Sally

I live in Dublin, and I think Amazon  do not give the same deals to overseas readers.

Nancy

Babi

« Reply #2679 on: August 07, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »
Aha!  Thank you, Sally.  Yes, I have read Vanishing Act, and another of the same series as
well.  Really good!  (You'd think I'd remember the author's name, wouldn't you?  Alas, my
memory has taken on new work as a sieve.)

Was "Ratking" the first of that series, Marcie?  It was third in presentation, and closed
with Zen promoted to acting chief of the department. That was definitely a step up from his
position in the two earlier episodes.