Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897855 times)

marjifay

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3160 on: December 13, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

I haven't read any Kate Ross, Babi, altho' I have her CUT TO THE QUICK on my TBR mystery list.  Will give it a read.

Thanx
Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #3161 on: December 14, 2011, 05:55:09 AM »
 I liked Evanovich, Smoking Seventeen, but dont think it was her best by far. Too much Lula.. I really am tired of the bursting out of clothes, screaming and acting like some sort of maniac mode of hers.. Bring back Albert Klown.. and a few others. A lot less mooning over Ranger would be helpful as well.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3162 on: December 14, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
Am I the only one that thought Evanovitch would end the book by Steph finding she was pregnant and not know which one was the father? Didn't happen.

I agree with you, Steph. E. has found she doesn't have to work on the plot -- just put Lula through her paces enough times for a book.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #3163 on: December 14, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »
Evanovich is one of those authors many seem to rave about and somebody I just couldn't get into.  My neighbor thinks she's wonderful. The neighbor also loves Jodi Picoult (or however that's spelled), but I can't get into her either--too many of the same "issues" I hear on the news and read about in the paper.   Good thing there are a lot of books published and none of us has to read somebody else's "list."

jane

salan

« Reply #3164 on: December 14, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »
I used to read Evanovich--don't remember which number I stopped at; but kind of burned myself out on her.  Maybe I'll start again if I can figure which book I need to read next.  Jodi Picoult is a good writer; but I also got tired of all her "issues" and found her books rather depressing.  I now avoid her writings. 
Sally

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3165 on: December 14, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »
It's a ritual at our beach week (family & friends) - everybody shares the latest Evanovich.  Except me.  She never caught my fancy, either.  It's just a chocolate and vanilla thing, I guess.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3166 on: December 14, 2011, 06:51:27 PM »
Well gollee.  After hearing all of you, what's a poor girl to do?

I've yet to read one of hers, simply because I just haven't gotten around to it.

Do you have more than one copy, MaryZ, or does everyone sign up for a designated time?   :D

mabel1015j

« Reply #3167 on: December 14, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
I like Evanovich for a laugh, but if i was voting for the best mystery, i'd put Scottoline before Evanovich, or Jms Patterson, oh, i didn't mention him did i? Yeah, i read #s 4 & 5 this year, they should be on my list also....... Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3168 on: December 14, 2011, 09:57:24 PM »
pedln, usually just one copy - sometimes two.  Each one is a fast reader, so the book can make the rounds quickly.   So far, there haven't been any fights for position in line.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #3169 on: December 15, 2011, 06:26:08 AM »
Early Evanovich is hysterically funny. The one that started us being introduced to Mooner was wonderful.When Ranger was simply an impressive example of how to catch bail skippers, he was fun.. But she put herself in the romantic, will she or wont she.. and that is getting old. I dislike all of the rest of her stuff.
Dislike James Patterson now. Loved his early work, but now he is like a farm team.. Authors..hmm, James Lee Burke, John Sandford,Louise Penney,Minette Walters,, there are some incredible authors out there. I like Scottoline. Jodi Picoult makes a living using current things and writing a book about them. I have read some of hers. The endings tend to drive me nuts though.. It s like.. Oh, I have written enough words, just stop..

mabel1015j

« Reply #3170 on: December 15, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »
Steph, i have on a few readings thought the author couldn't figure out how to end the story. I thought that about "The Notebook" - if i'm remembering the book and not the movie, correctly- and some others..... Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3171 on: December 15, 2011, 04:24:25 PM »
My copy of the latest Evanovitch is on its fourth reader. Only one of them has paid her share of the price, though. Oh, well, it's Christmas, and how petty can I get?

I complain about Evanovitch, but I wouldn't think of not reading one of hers. Which was the one where she introduced Mooner?

A few years ago, a bunch of us had an Evanovitch dinner (pot roast and pinapple upside-down cake for dessert. We did Evanovitch quizzes (How many of Stephanie's cars have blown up throughout the series?)

PEDLIN: you have to read her just to join the discussion. But which one to recommend first? I liked two (where grandma mazur set fire to the funeral home). One is kind of bloody.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3172 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »
If i read it right, Goodreads says Jms Patterson has THREE books coming out this month! You must be right, Steph, about his having a farm team of writers.

If any of you is a reader and a scrapbooker, you may like Laura Childs series about a woman who owns a "scrapbooking store". I'm reading "Bound for Murder". I'm not a scrapebooker, so i'm skimmimg past a lot of those descriptions, but the story is good. I think there are three in the series. I had read several of her "teashop" series. It's pretty light, but enjoyable reading.

Joan, the Evanovich dinner sounds like a good idea, maybe i'll suggest it to some friends, it could be a good intergenerational get together, all ages like her, especially here in NJ...... One is kind of bloody, but i thought it was the funniest, altho that may have been because i was just learning her style and the characters. I can remember laughing out loud many times while reading it. I also thought Four was really funny, don't remember why  :-\

Steph, i'm also a little tired of the Joe and Ranger battle, but as i said once before, i can understand why JE doesn't want to resolve it, it would turn the story in a whole new direction, no matter which one Stephanie choose. That could be a good thing, but more work for JE and possibly the loss of a good character. Could she choose one and still have the other in her life?

Jean

Steph

« Reply #3173 on: December 16, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »
I understand why she does not resolve Ranger and Joe, but I guess it makes her stuck somehow. I am not looking forward to the movie, because I do not consider Kathryn Heigl as a good actress.. Not a Jersey girl.. And the fact that Lula is a not that heavy sexy girl will mess it up further. Debbie Reynolds. Now that sounds funny..Oh well. I really dont think I will try the movie.
Mooner.. Hmm.I have all of them, maybe I can find a mention.
I also used to get the tapes and listen. The first several were done by a perfect North Joisey accent. Then they changed to another reader.. They are fun in the gym.. Everyone looks at me weird, I am rowing or biking and laughing like a hyena.. Oh well.

Babi

« Reply #3174 on: December 17, 2011, 02:32:44 PM »
 I'd like to see that myself, STEPH.   You in the gym, I mean.   ;D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3175 on: December 18, 2011, 06:33:43 AM »
I am a gym rat..Three times a week.. lifting one day, cardio one day and Body Flow one day.. Keeps me moving..and hopefully the Body Flow will improve my balance. It is Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates.. My body does not flow quite as well as the teachers and the young ones, but I keep trying.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3176 on: December 18, 2011, 11:14:12 AM »
Good girl, Steph.  I'm at the Y three days a week, too - but only in the water.  I do a deep-water interval class - part cardio and part movement/stretch/stuff like that.  It definitely keeps us moving.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3177 on: December 18, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
I try to swim at least twice a week, although the last couple of weeks have been a bit of a challenge, mostly thanks to the weather.  I also go for long walks when I can.  I'm not very good at gym classes, I can never understand what you're supposed to do  ???

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #3178 on: December 19, 2011, 05:56:39 AM »
 Iwalk every single morning of life.. Started 25 years ago and walk  about 2 miles just now. Started at 3, but get slower as I age.
The walking is good for not only my body, but my head.. Clears out the bad stuff, brings in the good..
Adult exercise classes are a bit different in most gyms.. I did yoga for years, but really do not enjoy the head standing stuff now.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3179 on: December 19, 2011, 07:03:56 PM »
I am reading her "Smoking Seventeen" at the moment. Use to enjoy her books but so far in this one it is just to much into Sex.  One Night its one man and next night the other. Looks like even the men would get tired of that. The Cop man is in her appt at this time I am at and now she comes in after being all night with the other Ranger. Ready to go to bed with Joe again.  Guess she did shower at Rangers.
Lulu one never knows about her.  Sort of like she is still acting like a prostitute.
This may be the last one for awhile.

Steph

« Reply #3180 on: December 20, 2011, 06:01:24 AM »
Y es, Evanovich started as a romance writer and essentially seems to be bored enough with Stephanie to make t he sex into a big part of all of the plots. Wish she would go back to funnier stories.. Maybe a new character would help.

Frybabe

« Reply #3181 on: December 28, 2011, 05:06:47 PM »
My sister was just burning my ear about James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series. She and her husband listened to books 1 thru 6 on their Christmas trip to Atlantic City.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3182 on: December 28, 2011, 06:02:04 PM »
James Patterson's books are the only fiction books that my husband and i have both read. He doesn't read much fiction and no historical fiction, i read very little of the spy-thrillers that he reads. That's indicative of many interests in our lives, but here we are married almost 44 yrs, known each other for over 50 yrs! Lots of compromising went on on both sides.  :)

Jean 

Babi

« Reply #3183 on: December 29, 2011, 08:43:05 AM »
 I've started Ann Patchett's "Run"; not far enough into it to know where it's headed.  PB, so I
will use it for wakeful bedtime reading, and continue with "Night Circus"  for my 'day' book.
"Night Circus" didn't grab me in the first pages, but as I got into it I'm finding it as 'magical' as everyone had said.  It's a fairy tale for grown-ups.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3184 on: December 29, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »
I love Patchett and have read all of hers. I still like The Patron Saint of Liars, the most, but she is consistantly able to surprise me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3185 on: December 29, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »
FRY: my son reads James Patterson, when he won't read other fiction books. he gave me some "Womens murder Club" books and gives the grandkids Patterson's childrens books. Patterson seems to be someone who everyone can enjoy reading.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #3186 on: December 29, 2011, 04:59:02 PM »
My name finally came up on the reserve list and I just picked up Laura Childs' Scones & Bones and Margaret Maron's Three-Day Town.  I will start that one first as I am anxious to see what she does with Sigrid.  Her first series with Sigrid (NY detective) was my favorite.

Sad to admit but since we got Netflix my reading has gone by the wayside.  I have been enjoying some English mysteries that were produced a few years ago.

serenesheila

« Reply #3187 on: December 29, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »
Just checking in.  I am reading "In The Bleak Midwinter", by Julia Spencer Fleming.  So far, it is interesting and entertaining.  I have not read any of her other books, but plan to do so.

I have fallen a dozen times this year, and several of those falls, resulted in a concussion.  As a result, I now have some problems concentrating.  So, I have trouble staying interested.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #3188 on: December 30, 2011, 06:39:07 AM »
Sheila, I love Julia Spencer Fleming and have read all of her books. Matter of fact, I want to check to see if she has a new one out.. I am reading a silly mystery, because it has a corgi on the cover.. All about a dog trainer who has decidedly odd ideas about training.. No idea of it is a true book or  not.

Babi

« Reply #3189 on: December 30, 2011, 08:35:47 AM »
 SHEILA,  I do hope you are using a walker or some other type of support
while walking.  All these falls are just disaster on the horizon.  Personally, I'm
afraid a few knocks on the head would  be all I need to lose what little mind I have left.  ???

ursamajor

« Reply #3190 on: December 30, 2011, 09:14:13 AM »
Sheila, it is important to read the Spencer-Fleming books in order.  There is a continuing plot involving the romance between Clare and the sheriff.  There is a new one due in February, I think.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3191 on: December 30, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »
Tell me about the Spencer Fleming books.

I finished Laura Lippman's Charm City, which of course is Baltimore, MA. It was fun, easy reading, not compulsive to get back to. If you are a dog lover, especially a greyhound rescue advocate, you will probably enjoy it. The protagonist is an ex-newspaper reporter turned private eye.

Picked up Margaret Moran's Home Fires. It's about my 6th or 7th of hers.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3192 on: December 30, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
Put me down as another who loves the Spencer-Fleming books!  Do begin at the first one, though.

The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3193 on: December 30, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »
SHEILA: so sorry to hear about your falls. I agree about your walker: I resisted getting one, but felt so much more secure when I did.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3194 on: December 30, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »
With my bad memory for names, I didn't recognize Spencer-Fleming. But when I looked her up, realized I'd read "In the Bleak Midwinter", liked it, and meant to read more, but forgot the name.

Here is the FF page:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/julia-spencer-fleming/

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3195 on: December 30, 2011, 04:52:17 PM »
I'm doomed! I thought you couldn't get the free samples for the kindle from the computer, but you can. I ordered a sample, not only of Spenmcer-fleming's second book (Fountain of Blood), but 4 other books as well.

serenesheila

« Reply #3196 on: December 30, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »
I am thoroughly enjoying "In The Bleak Midwinter".  I don't remember ever hearing the author's name, before I bought this one.  Can one of you tell me the name of her first mystery?

As for a walker, I bought one about six weeks ago.  It is one which I can use to walk, and can also be used so that someone can push me.  I feel so much more safe and staple, since I got it.  It is a bit heavy, and I do not think that I can lift it, to put it in my car.  But, I seldom drive myself.  I have a helper who drives me whether I need to go.

Thanks for all of your concern about my safety.
Sheila

Tomereader1

« Reply #3197 on: December 30, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »
Reverend Clare Fergusson
1. In the Bleak Midwinter (2002)
2. A Fountain Filled with Blood (2003)
3. Out of the Deep I Cry (2004)
4. To Darkness and to Death (2005)
5. All Mortal Flesh (2006)
6. I Shall Not Want (2008)
7. One Was a Soldier (2009)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #3198 on: December 31, 2011, 06:12:01 AM »
I just ordered One was a Soldier , since I am current except for that one.She is a really good writer with a complicated subplots. They really must be read in order, but are really interesting.
I bought Louise Penneys latest since it is now in trade size paperback.. Another author who needs to be read in order.. Again a really good one.She is Canadian and this last one is mostly in Quebec City.. I was there once and fell in love. It is beautfiul and funny and inspiring all at once.
Laura Lippman.. I love her. She writes a whole series about Tess, who turns herself into a detective.. and also writes stand alones. The stand alones are darker than the Tess ones.

Babi

« Reply #3199 on: December 31, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »
Hmmm, I do like Ms. Spencer-Fleming's choice of titles. What kind of books
does she write? I see from the FF site that she is a 'Reverend'.  Do her
books reflect that at all?  I am assuming they are mysteries, since they
turned up here.